• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to punish 8 hammer?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i usually either do nair while they are falling in it, and then do a couple dsmashes and end with an up smash if there is time. pretty much his most damaging moves lol. if they are close enough to the edge you can push them off of it too with attacks.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
seriously haha i love watching them slowly tumble down helplessly as they try mashing buttons like crazy

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
FSmash, being a fire move, will force them out of the ice. If they are a decent masher then it's best to take a half charged Fsmash and, if they done die, edgeguard them. If they don't mash a pair of USmashes does about 50 damage.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah sometimes i do an fsmash spontaneously on accident, which hits them out of it and forces me to miss out on all that possible damage.. lol.

I wonder if you can combo when they break out of the ice if you used something like the pan hit on chef after a SH to break them out. I have no clue what kind of hitstun characters experience when being unfrozen, but i imagine a quick fair or up b can catch them as they pop out, maybe a nair if the frame data is on our side.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Popping out of frozen state has no lag. They can input an attack on the first frame they break out. They can DI the knock back of flying out of the ice as well. Also, I believe the "stun" from being frozen is random. So neither player can be the slightest bit sure exactly when they are going to come out. One way you can use that to your advantage is to try to bait them into mashing out an airiel that you can then punish.

jtm94

Smash Lord
My friend either like wavedashes or airdodges out of ice every time and he mashes so fast I can't punish with a nair because he's out by the time the attack finishes.

KarmaJolt

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this will work, but try throwing a few bacons above the ice block, THEN F-smash, so when they are freed from the ice, they will still be hindered by tasty meats, which might lead into a free grab.

But I don't play GW all that much, so I've never tried this.

In fact, I... really don't know why I'm here...

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
y'all are small time, upB is the only solution

GeZ

Smash Lord
Has anyone noticed that if they opponent gets frozen and the ice block lands on the stage, and then you push it off, the ice block will fall super ****in fast? I don't get it that often because they have to be really close to the ledge, but when they are I use Dsmash to push them off and they die within a half a second off the bottom of the screen. It's crazy town.

Also

Not sure if this will work, but try throwing a few bacons above the ice block, THEN F-smash, so when they are freed from the ice, they will still be hindered by tasty meats, which might lead into a free grab.
I was thinking this exact thing. Could be pretty sweet. I'll try and test it next time I play.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
dat kors k nametag \o/

also, the only logical follow-up after a 8 is a 9

GeZ

Smash Lord
dat kors k nametag \o/

also, the only logical follow-up after a 8 is a 9
I hate when that happens ;~;

It's like having a birthday close to Christmas. Two wonderful things happening in quick succession, but because they're happening so close together they both end up underwhelming.

Like 8 hammer at center stage, 9 hammer right after. It tacks on percent well, but they move an inch, and I'm left like this

Attachments

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
oh, i did that twice, 8->9

in the same tournament match, **** was hype

also my *****, kors k is awesome

Bambi_

King of the Forest
I found a really reliable punish on a 8 hammer the other day. Put a bacon above them, then get in their business and charge a usmash. One of two things happen: they mash out before the bacon hits, in which case the bacon locks them down and they get up smashed, or the bacon hits the ice block (and has a fire effect so instantly ends the freeze), and they get up smashed. Both end in an up smash. For optimal bacon placement WD back, SH single bacon while holding up, then either wavedash forward up smash or just plain old running up smash them.

KABO0S

Smash Cadet
I would say throw out some bacon about the ice because when they get out of it they go directly up I believe. Maybe catch them with a USmash or Nair/Fair after they hit bacon? I dunno.. I'm curious to find out what to do too.

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
I've been experimenting with this for a while. My best advice is try to judgement when flying offstage, theres a chance itll freeze the enemy and send them falling helpless.
If you do freeze them onstage, I'd say tap D-tilt, or possible U-smash. All you can do is rack up damage. If you ARE good enough and predict when they come out, try charging an U-smash.

Top Bottom