• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best way to train when you don't have friends or online?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
this is an obligatory sentence to use my ten characters

??

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Go find friends, there's no way you can train without them.

Lol kidding, Lvl 9 CPUs, ooh, i'm bad.

kr3wman

Smash Master
the level 9 computers have frame-perfect skills, something probably alot of real life smashers do not have. That and they're kinda stupid, but hey.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
why not try team battle, 3 lvl 9 cpus with max handicap against you

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
the level 9 computers have frame-perfect skills, something probably alot of real life smashers do not have. That and they're kinda stupid, but hey.
Then wouldnt that help? Since you would be prepared for skills no one has? Wow, lol just read my own sentence, sorry if it sounds ********

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Traning mode is much better in this game, so you can use it and see which one of the chracters you main can three stock a CPU with out breaking a sweat. :D

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The problem is you would only be prepared for what lV 9s do. Your timing would get messed up and they use a completely different strategy from any human.
Oh alright, thanks =)...I dont have many real life friends that play brawl so I'm stuck with cpu's for now

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
The problem is you would only be prepared for what lV 9s do. Your timing would get messed up and they use a completely different strategy from any human.
Wouldn't button lag also have the same effect on your timing? :dizzy:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
actually my friend there is none, those lv. 9 CPU's aren't worth squat if you plan to train seriously, if you really want to train, go out there and looks for some tourneys, if that fails, invite a friend or relative to play, (that is if you have any, which from the thread title I assume you don't)

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
I use the Level 9 CPU's to practice on, but only because I've seen the level 7 CPU's just stand around when I'm in shield lag. I'll use level 6 or 7's to practice stringing together moves, and level 3's for screwing around and learning new techniques.

Most of my use for the Level 9's are to quicken my reaction times, which matter in all levels of play. Playing against a CPU is also a great way to tell whether your game is predictable or not. A level 9 CPU will ruin your day if you become too cautious or reckless. They don't underuse grabs as much as real players do. There is value in training against Level 9's, but just remember that the same strategies do not apply. For example, spamming ZSS's armor pieces can knock one stock off of a level 9 without taking damage. That will not work against any competent human player.

Of course, practicing on Wifi with friends on the other side of the world is probably the best practice. It teaches you to think ahead and predict the opponent's moves. I've found that going from games with a lot of input lag/latency to an irl game is easier than the other way around.

Traning mode is much better in this game, so you can use it and see which one of the chracters you main can three stock a CPU with out breaking a sweat. :D
What makes you think that? Training mode is okay for testing moves that require precise timing. However, because there is no diminishing returns on moves, you can just spam smashes and they will kill at the same percentages whether it's the first or tenth time it was used.

Kcrazy

Smash Rookie
CPUs can only help so much. They'll let you get a feel for the character and learn spacing (roughly) but its no substitute for humans.

also, as the person above me said, spotdodging and perfect shielding and other little things like that are good to practice against cpus

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
cpus are useless in predicting how humans play. the best thing they can teach is knowledge of move sets and spot dodging amongst other things.

Top Bottom