• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Ways to Beat a Good Luigi Main?

TheBigBrickZ

Smash Rookie
I've been making top 15 in nearly most locals with my Fox/Falco and Rosalina. However, when I meet Luigi I can't really find an opening to beat him.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Person:How do i beat Luigi with [character]

Procedded by 10 other people saying "Don't get Grabbed"

chic

Smash Ace
i've starting to play a lot of luigi ditto's in tournaments are they are a pain but i've started to build a game plan against them. my overall opinion is that you have to be defensive and patient against a luigi player and take FULL advantage of the mistakes they make otherwise you are going to be grabbed and comboed to hell. here are a few specifics

if you get grabbed and juggled jump AWAY as soon as you can. don't try to counter because you will be out prioritized/naired or grabbed again

i mostly attack the luigi's when they are in the air, so i try to force them in the air with projectiles and good spacing and then i punish them when they try to land

if you fall out of the tornado during the down throw-nado combo you can usually punish them by getting on the ground before them

speaking of the tornado i usually find patterns in the way the use the tornado, for example i notice a lot of luigis do a sh dair to a tornado for approaching so if i see that happening i prepare my shield and then punish

try to interrupt luig's green missile when he tries to recover

if your playing against a luigi that uses ice balls keep in mind that it has more lag than the normal fireball

hope this helps...

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Learn how to DI away from the cyclone. Teach any of your friends how to D-throw>cyclone effectively and then learn how to DI out of it as well. That will limit Luigi's killing options a ton. I can't tell you to not get grabbed, I know that's hard. But since you know he will be aiming for it almost all the time, develop a way to get around it.
Don't challenge his side B, theres always a chance it's gonna be a misfire and you don't wanna be hit with that. His recovery is kinnnda predictable although I think people underestimate how good it is. Most of the the cast has a predictable recovery anyway. Uh, yeah, if you notice a pattern, go and abuse it, just please be careful of the misfires. Be careful if your juggling options have no good disjoints, Nair will wreck your **** otherwise.

One more thing, although it's a general thing but its still important. Don't get into a match with a losing mentality. Try to get rid of your fear of Luigi otherwise I doubt you'll ever beat him.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
How to play against Luigi:
A. Space.
B. Edge guard. (Maybe with the exception of fox.)
C. Mix up.
D. Bait Nair.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
How to play against Luigi:
A. Space.
B. Edge guard. (Maybe with the exception of fox.)
C. Mix up.
D. Bait Nair.
Hi.. I wanted to ask you a question. How do I beat someone with good spacing? What if I'm fighting match where its very hard for me to get a grab cause the opponent is spacing well and doesn't do stupid **** that I can end up grabbing?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Hi.. I wanted to ask you a question. How do I beat someone with good spacing? What if I'm fighting match where its very hard for me to get a grab cause the opponent is spacing well and doesn't do stupid **** that I can end up grabbing?
You mean when you're Luigi?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Yeah, sorry for being unclear.
Well, the main thing is be defensive with your approaches. One of the problems witht that, though, is approaching can get really predictable. I'm a little tired right now so I don't really know much of what to say. Don't spam grab I guess.

Top Bottom