• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best / Worst Areas for Melee

Stev

Smash Ace
good speech and all..... except that its been a year and brawl is growing while melee is shrinking(except for afew events here and there[gen/evo/apex]) and at all 3 of those brawl will be bigger. Melee cant win and aint comin back.

Face the music. The numbers are against you.
Wrong. Melee has grown significantly since brawl's release. Melee used to be bigger, yes, but it is NOT shrinking. do your research

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Melee is coming back.

Melee is the reason I keep playing brawl, I keep wishing brawl will get as good as melee (and on some level my Samus makes me feel like I'm playing melee sometimes).

I LOVE MELEE. To show how much I love it I'll try to make a combo video for it.

Don't ever give up on melee, I made so many friends (including Camille) through melee and I have way too many happy memories.

Jove

Smash Journeyman
do "numbers" really matter?
if you like melee, play melee if you like brawl play brawl
why is there so much competition for the better community?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
do "numbers" really matter?
if you like melee, play melee if you like brawl play brawl
why is there so much competition for the better community?
The better community means more players. The problem is that would be melee players are taking the easier route (Selecting Metaknight) because in the beginning, all we want is to win. Rather than taking the time to get better at melee, people just go play something that's easy to win at.

Pi

Smash Hero
Silly xyro
Brawl+ will never become tourney standard so it doesn't affect melee much at all
And brawl is a joke, and with most of the high end brawl players saying melee is better
and with melee having the community backing that it does
and the hype that it does
and the history that it does

how can you possibly count it out

I understand that you got your fame in brawl so you feel like you owe it something, but really man you don't, it's okay bro, brawl is a **** game, it's slow, it's shallow, it's broken, you yourself are asking for mk banned tournaments, the game itself was destined to fail, the only reason it's having as many tournaments as it is, is because of it's melee roots

The community itself won't let melee slip away, there are tooo TOOO few die hard brawl fans to let that happen

At first, you know, I thought melee was a dead game, I hated the prospect of switching over to brawl and hated the fact that it had replaced melee, but then I heard opinions, saw the tournaments, saw how everyone still loved melee and recognized it as a great game, far superior than it's successor
and I just simply can't believe that it would be allowed to slip away

But then again I never could tell when you were joking

Zero_P

Smash Ace

Alaska actually has a scene.

Here in Canada, Alberta and BC have the biggest (big for us, small for you guys). East Coast seems to be really into Brawl and stuff, BC is half and half and Alberta is strictly Melee biatchesss. (With the exception of Superboom who plays 64 and dabbles with melee and brawl.)
rofl excuse me, brawl is dead here, we only have clouderz and koskinator who both **** but that's it. The rest is melee.

brawlocaust lmfao

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
It's more like we new kids don't know how to run a successful tournament. That's why it seems like there are less people. Also, we new kids in melee for some reason seem to be intimidated by tournaments, as the skill level discrepency is so god **** big. I personally love getting wrecked cuz I learn something evertime, but that's just me I guess.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
TGM, stop getting people to argue with you like always :p
p.s. i might actually come to the next hobo for lulz since i plan on visiting a friend in cypress.

southwest melee is so crappy.
i hate that i live here T.T
oklahoma has 2 people who prefer melee and about 5 serious players overall
texas maybe the same concept but 2 or 3 times the number. colorado and new mexico...um?

so yeah...20...maybe up to 30 players if we're lucky in an entire region who would take melee seriously.
not that awesome.

brawl is like scientology. its popularity and lucrativeness are climbing thanks to crazy and confused people, who are convinced beyond reality that it should be taken seriously, when everyone else knows it's stupid and dangerous.
sig that ****.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Lol Sc does suck for smash. Lol and like scha said there is only a hand full of us. Others have made bi weeklies though. And the brawl scene has grown down here. But yeah lol melee for SC is not that great. Im moving to SOVA, in the fall. I'll still rep sc, but I know they have to have a better melee scene than us.

Pi

Smash Hero
Tbh
Tech skill, aside from L canceling
doesn't make or break you
knowing your character, and knowing how to punish is going to take you way further than an equal amount of time practicing tech skill will

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
TGM, stop getting people to argue with you like always :p
p.s. i might actually come to the next hobo for lulz since i plan on visiting a friend in cypress.

southwest melee is so crappy.
i hate that i live here T.T
oklahoma has 2 people who prefer melee and about 5 serious players overall
texas maybe the same concept but 2 or 3 times the number. colorado and new mexico...um?

so yeah...20...maybe up to 30 players if we're lucky in an entire region who would take melee seriously.
not that awesome.

brawl is like scientology. it's popularity and lucrativeness are climbing thanks to crazy and confused people, who are convinced beyond reality that it should be taken seriously, when everyone else knows it's stupid and dangerous.
sig that ****.
AZ's not that bad

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
It's more like we new kids don't know how to run a successful tournament. That's why it seems like there are less people. Also, we new kids in melee for some reason seem to be intimidated by tournaments, as the skill level discrepency is so god **** big. I personally love getting wrecked cuz I learn something evertime, but that's just me I guess.
Truth. I personally got destroyed in a tourney last month, and can honestly say that I have never had a more entertaining Melee experience.

Stratford

Smash Champion
Yea lol getting wrecked is the best part about melee. There are some people that are just really good. And it's an honor to get destroyed by them.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Arizona lost to Cali lol Taj tried to use that stupid Marth on SS and looked what happened. Why did he try to switch to someone he wasn't good with?

Domino64 (The JOKER)

Smash Rookie
You know what the worst area for melee is?

MD/VA

cuz all of them play barlw.

SAVE ME.
Lol, I just moved from VA to LA...

It isn't much better... I need to get wrecked by someone.

" I wish I could play people more often, here in Oregon. I need money, license, and a car first. "

Same here.

And yeah, I'm pretty decent at Brawl and I gotta say, if SSB 64 is MILES ahead of Brawl (online and skill-wise), then Melee is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Brawl.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Silly xyro
Brawl+ will never become tourney standard so it doesn't affect melee much at all
And brawl is a joke, and with most of the high end brawl players saying melee is better
and with melee having the community backing that it does
and the hype that it does
and the history that it does

how can you possibly count it out

I understand that you got your fame in brawl so you feel like you owe it something, but really man you don't, it's okay bro, brawl is a **** game, it's slow, it's shallow, it's broken, you yourself are asking for mk banned tournaments, the game itself was destined to fail, the only reason it's having as many tournaments as it is, is because of it's melee roots

The community itself won't let melee slip away, there are tooo TOOO few die hard brawl fans to let that happen

At first, you know, I thought melee was a dead game, I hated the prospect of switching over to brawl and hated the fact that it had replaced melee, but then I heard opinions, saw the tournaments, saw how everyone still loved melee and recognized it as a great game, far superior than it's successor
and I just simply can't believe that it would be allowed to slip away

But then again I never could tell when you were joking

Melee is not being made anymore. So now your side has a disc shortage.

ALOT of the old melee vets have switched over to brawl(doesnt matter why or how)

ALOT of old melee vets that refuse to play brawl have either quit or play RARELY.

Melee events are shrinking in number.

Melee turnout is shrinking in number.

Melee may be more "fun" but if it was SOOOOO fun and TRULY the better game(which i think it is) the population would move to melee. And you know thats not happening.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Brawl disc are being made each day.

Its also out sold melee in its first year than melee did in 7 years. This means more potential players each day.

Brawl events have set, broken and reset melee numbers. Pretty good for a "bad game".

M2k,azen,dsf,royr,HugS,inui and many many other melee vets moved on. Wethe rits money or they like the game. They moved on.

Brawl events are poping up every where.

Brawl is VERY VERY deep. Just not in the mobility area(like melee was=WD/l-cancle). You can argue that all day and you are wrong. We are learning this about characters ALL THE TIME.

oh and my PERSONAL fav reason, brawl has a ********-ly low learning curve(now to become pro its rather hard) and this brings in numbers melee cant.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, you people can accept these facts or you cant. I have no need to force you because its happening on its own. You can join us( im trying to reach your hand, JOIN ME) or you wont. Either way brawl grows and melee dies.

Your ship is sinking and i can save you.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
SF2 turbo fans are throwing things at you constantly, TGM.

it's also easy to outsell melee, tons of wii games have done it...because...well the GC sucked and the wii is already the fourth highest selling console ever behind NES, PS1, and PS2. with more than 2x the amount of sales as GC, having twice the amount of people who play it competitively is just logical. and as for the lolcasuals well they have little pertinence to the conversation.
you also have a texas perspective, TGM, so unless you're talking to other people from the southwest you should stop saying melee turnout is declining unless you want to sound stupid. SoVa just had a tournament weeks ago with the biggest turnout rate they'd ever had, and the midwest melee circuit has a bigger turnout than the brawl circuit (or so i've heard).

with that aside, this whole thread is about how melee is a smaller community now, so no one cares about your usual invasion to claim the superiority of brawl. plus mango did that for melee in a brawl thread and got banned, so i'd watch where you go around waving your brawl flag before it is considered spam.

the main point of my post: Tee Ay Eye's right, lol. though it wouldn't be the first time that a group of people would see 1 video of someone and think that they suck/are awesome.

i can't wait until school starts up again. i need good melee/guilty gear/sf matches T.T

TPoint1BUA

Smash Cadet
I have a question relevant to this thread (not the Barlw/Melee Debate, which will soon cause this thread to become locked, but the good/bad areas for melee). I'm going to MIT next year and I was hoping people would play melee there, but most of the people I've talked to play brawl. Anyone know if there's a melee crowd there that I just didn't run in to?

P.S. I live in MA already anyways (about 5 minutes from MIT), but does anyone know if there are any tourneys/other things not all the way in west mass? Whenever I check the tourney board, they are always in Worcester or other places I cannot reach until I get my driver's license this summer.

P.P.S. Maybe I should have applied to Cal Tech too.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I have a question relevant to this thread (not the Barlw/Melee Debate, which will soon cause this thread to become locked, but the good/bad areas for melee). I'm going to MIT next year and I was hoping people would play melee there, but most of the people I've talked to play brawl. Anyone know if there's a melee crowd there that I just didn't run in to?

P.S. I live in MA already anyways (about 5 minutes from MIT), but does anyone know if there are any tourneys/other things not all the way in west mass? Whenever I check the tourney board, they are always in Worcester or other places I cannot reach until I get my driver's license this summer.

P.P.S. Maybe I should have applied to Cal Tech too.
unfortunately i don't know about a hidden melee scene outside of worcester. you'll have to wait for your liscense :o although the MA smashers i know are usually always up to pick other players up for smashfests/tournies for just gas money, so just ask around on the boards :D

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
hahaha it's xyro LOL
that guy is really bad at both games, who cares what he has to say
laugh all you want. your on the sinking ship, not me.

However, i will forgive you WHEN you come crawling to me.

th0rn

Smash Lord
LOL there are a lot of melee players in massachusetts and theres also a monthly tournament called "Mass Madness" in Framingham

Players like pc chris/KDJ/mango have gone and many others from NY/NJ/rest of New england/ random other places

Also the major summer brawl/melee tourney, other than Genesis, is happening in Mass

th0rn

Smash Lord
of course the game will never completely die.... but people are playing far less as the weeks go by and it takes people from canada and NY/NJ to travel mad far just to have a decently sized tournament

Top Bottom