• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Real Pokemon trainers treat all of their pokemon equally and win through the power of love

Bomber there are adapters you can use to connect to your laptop through a USB port if your laptop doesn't have an SD card slot. I would recommend just buying a microSD that comes with a USB adapter and an SD adapter, and a lot of them do. A 2GB one isn't too expensive, and it can hold a lot of replays.
I do have an SD slot in my laptop, I just can never get an acknowlegment that there is even an SD card in there. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Since, once again I'll be locked up in my room with nothing but my laptop, my wii and PS2 + games for both consoles, I'll mess around with the SD card and see if I can find anything. It already has 4 vids from really old friendlies saved on it, I just have see if I can find it on my laptop..... I'll see.

The only thing is I bought a 4GB and it won't even work with the camera my sis gave me nor with my wii, and then the 235MB one that actually goes with the camera works for my wii >.>

It says the SD card is locked but I've flipped the switch like you are supposed to do if it is locked, to unlock it, but still no luck but so far the 235MB hasn't been giving me problems as far as storing vids on my wii goes.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
I have a question. Do stale moves transfer over through pokemon switches? As in if I start with squirtle and come back to him would his fair be fresh or still staled? I also assume that if you spam usmash with ivy, zard's usmash will be fresh?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I have a question. Do stale moves transfer over through pokemon switches? As in if I start with squirtle and come back to him would his fair be fresh or still staled? I also assume that if you spam usmash with ivy, zard's usmash will be fresh?
When you switch, all diminishing returns on moves are gone. Same with Zelda/Sheik. It's an easy way to refresh your moves in that.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is there a thread here with extensive and current information about each pokemon's moveset? Beyond what the stickied guide shows?

minford10

Smash Cadet
Hey I'm just picking up pt as a secondary and was wondering if you guys play with tap jump on or off? I'm used to playing with it off, does that have any disadvantages with pt?

Any other controller configuration changes you advise making?

T-block

B2B TST
Tap jump ON makes some of Squirtle's AT's easier, but you can get by with it off. It also makes OoS easier to do. There's no real reason to turn it off, unless there's some character with ATs that require it. U-tilting and u-airing without jumping is easy enough after a bit of practice.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is there a thread here with extensive and current information about each pokemon's moveset? Beyond what the stickied guide shows?
I posted a mini-guide in the Squirtle and Ivysaur Tactical discussion. I was going to use it to form a full guide, but my laptop was destroyed, so it's on hiatus right now.

I'll probably do Charizard's soon, though.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hey I'm just picking up pt as a secondary and was wondering if you guys play with tap jump on or off? I'm used to playing with it off, does that have any disadvantages with pt?

Any other controller configuration changes you advise making?
Tap jump off. I do the AT's just fine. :ohwell:

Miles.

Smash Champion
Tap jump ON makes some of Squirtle's AT's easier, but you can get by with it off. It also makes OoS easier to do. There's no real reason to turn it off, unless there's some character with ATs that require it. U-tilting and u-airing without jumping is easy enough after a bit of practice.
Tap jump off makes hydroplaned UpTilit easier.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is there any way to cancel the landing lag on Squirtle's and Charizard's Up B similarly to ivysaur's?
I mean using it as a lagless attack on certain stages which would be really useful as zard.

Also, the star KO glitch on frigate (standing on a certain edge when it flips), is it possible for squirtle to kill (or trade stocks) by hydrograbbing people to that edge or do they have to be on the ground?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
on platforms you can space it so that you land on the platform right as you pass it so it's like there's very little lag on it.

yeah i assume so, i once had a very strange occurrence on frigate where i ground released a guy as charizard while it transformed...and they died and i didn't.

Tesh

Smash Hero
About how much space do I need to do that with Charizard? When do I need to land? Can I use it to get the landing on the 2 lower battlefield platforms or would it be only useful on norfair or a stage you could shark on?

Is it practically lagless like with ivy or is it something more subtle?

Is there a video so I can see how its done? hehe

Miles.

Smash Champion
About how much space do I need to do that with Charizard? When do I need to land? Can I use it to get the landing on the 2 lower battlefield platforms or would it be only useful on norfair or a stage you could shark on?

Is it practically lagless like with ivy or is it something more subtle?

Is there a video so I can see how its done? hehe
basically you just do it so you end on the ground.

fool around with it as ivy its the most evident when you do it right.

anax4aero

Smash Cadet
Does anyone here use the Wiichuck? It's the only controller option I've had available recently and I was wondering how to make it feel less awkward. Mostly I'm suffering with short hop, grabs, shield, and quick smash attacks (no C-stick...)

Does anyone here use the Wiichuck? It's the only controller option I've had available and I was wondering how to make it feel less awkward. Mostly I'm suffering with short hop, grabs, shield, and quick smash attacks (no C-stick...)
I usually have the Dpad as a "Cstick" with Z as a shield.

C button is my jump button basically, as it will take getting use to to press it lightly to Shorthop.

Grabs, I just use Shield grab :p.

anax4aero

Smash Cadet
I usually have the Dpad as a "Cstick" with Z as a shield.

C button is my jump button basically, as it will take getting use to to press it lightly to Shorthop.

Grabs, I just use Shield grab :p.
Mmm, I have used that...I guess I just need practice. Used to shielding with R, so with the wiichuck I end up using B instead of Z and getting killed.

Do you leave tap jump on?

Meh, Tap Jump is really preference.

Most say keeping it off is best to use Utilt more easily and not waste your second jump sometimes while recovering.

It will take time to get use to though.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i have tap jump on. Because they were smart enough to make it that you don't have to tilt it ALL the way up. You actually have to barely, Just BARELY nudge the control stick, and you'll get yor Utilt.
Don't believe me? try it.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
What is the best way to deal with Wario players? I have the most trouble because when I see them spot dodge I think I manage to punish them in their "ending frames" but I get fooled and when I go to "punish" I get hit with something like an F-smash or something that does me harm.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
I'm confused about how to do hydroplaning/hydrograbs, because different places say different things.

I'm not talking about a shellshifted hyphen smash, I'm referring to the one where you don't change direction, where you just run then I think pivot-jump-usmash? How do you jump then usmash, do you jump (tap jump or x/y?) then immediately press upc?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
first, dash foward. Then turn around, while you are turning around jump then upsmash, charge if you want to

for hydrograb,dash one way, then dash the otehr way, during the turning press sheild then pres c stick in the opposite way you are facing

Vermy

Smash Champion
What is the best way to deal with Wario players? I have the most trouble because when I see them spot dodge I think I manage to punish them in their "ending frames" but I get fooled and when I go to "punish" I get hit with something like an F-smash or something that does me harm.
who are you using vs Wario primarily? Is it safe to say Squirtle?

i have tap jump on. Because they were smart enough to make it that you don't have to tilt it ALL the way up. You actually have to barely, Just BARELY nudge the control stick, and you'll get yor Utilt.
Don't believe me? try it.
I use tap on too. You do get used to it, but i've found if you're doing the utilt lock on a fastfaller, as you chase their DI you may accidentally ftilt. A way around this is to land the first couple utilts and switch from pressing a to tapping up on the cstick whilst holding up on the control stick. You're free to move left and right much easier, without any accidental ftilts.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
who are you using vs Wario primarily? Is it safe to say Squirtle?

I use tap on too. You do get used to it, but i've found if you're doing the utilt lock on a fastfaller, as you chase their DI you may accidentally ftilt. A way around this is to land the first couple utilts and switch from pressing a to tapping up on the cstick whilst holding up on the control stick. You're free to move left and right much easier, without any accidental ftilts.
Yep. I start with Squirtle.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Ok. I have some recent exp here, i play against my city's best Wario on a semi-regular basis, and he helps me out by giving me pointers.

Squirtle:
With the spotdodge punishing, theres not alot you can do =/
Wario has an advantage there. I use Dair because of it being the longest lasting aerial squirtle has, other than that, holding A for a jab combo/jab cancel>grab works ok.

Ivy does ok, but if you arent very confident with ivy, just camp with leaf and dtilt. Ivy is intended to be an anti-air character, but Wario's too **** fast for any of that to work. Bair is near useless, due to Wario's lengthy dodges and air speed. If he catches on early, he can just dodge right through a bair and then you're a sitting duck for an aerial or God forbid, a waft. Switch out ASAP if you aren't feeling in control.

With Zard, use upwards tilted flamethrower if you sense an approach. I need to do some testing, but i don't think Zard has any options vs wario out of a grab release other than a jab combo. A well placed rocksmash will do wonders if the Wario is dodge-happy.

If i think of something else, I'll add it in. Its nearly 3am here and i really should be in bed >_<
Hope i could help. =)

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
squirtle just jump in the air the entire time with squirtle cause he'll **** Wario in the air....

ivy just bullet seed when he spot dodges and upsmash when floating around above you

charizard just run under and past them jump turn around rock smash or flame thrower... repeat till dead.

its that simple

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I did manage to get him with the grab release combo though when I tried it at the recent tournament, I wasn't able to land it. So that got me. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the tips.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
squirtle just jump in the air the entire time with squirtle cause he'll **** Wario in the air....
But Wario is an aerial character, and his aerials KO better than Squirtle. I wouldn't just go to the air every time--good Wario players know how to dominate the air and will read your movements sooner or later. Then get clapped. Or if Wario catches you close to the ground, he can easily nair to fsmash.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
-_- exactly why i dislike warios. I blame my lack of experience for my inability to fight back and win.

Asa

Smash Hero
how do you make the hydrograb have a greater range? Sometimes it doesn't go very far then other times it'll go half of FD.

I also have trouble landing the hydrograb. When can the grab actually connect?

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Sorry to ask alot of questions but just two things-

1. With a hydroplane, do you have to pivot during the initial dash animation or can it be done anytime while running.

2. I read alot about Charizard's grabrelease, but what exactly can he do out of it, does he get free moves, if so what moves.

Thanks again.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
anytime while running

he doesn't have anything free except on lucas and ness. both are guaranteed dtilt and ness is a guaranteed regrab. otherwise you have various mixups you can use. if you think they will hold shield, then regrab. if they spot dodge, fsmash will time a hit perfectly as they exit invincibility on most characters, as will rock smash. you can dsmash people that roll behind you. you can dtilt or jab too.

Vermy

Smash Champion
you still need the input of a jump, so jump and up cstick will work. The timing is crazy difficult for a forward hydroplane (no turnaround animation), so i've been using custom control settings.

Tap Jump Off and Z set to Jump. run, tap back, then quickly tap forward + z + up cstick. Its an uncharged one, but it makes it so much easier. Unless you play with your index finger resting over X and Y, then you can just turn tap jump off and have the same results.

Ghetto Fabulous

Smash Journeyman
if wario does a dair on ur shield, chances are u can hit them if u jump and attack with squirtle as soon as his hitbox ends. Otherwise, with squirtle i just keep my distance while they jump around and air dodge, and try and get hits in when their air dodges end. they are going to begin moving in a pattern eventually, and u gotta be able to recognize it and punish. You kinda need to be able to predict what they are going to do a little bit. If they get near you GET AWAY as fast as you can. Just run away and cover your tracks. His jab has a lot of hitstun, and fsmash comes out really fast. U are better off just running away and trying again from a different angle. Warios are really patient, so you need to be just as patient if ur going to win.

Miles.

Smash Champion
if wario does a dair on ur shield, chances are u can hit them if u jump and attack with squirtle as soon as his hitbox ends. Otherwise, with squirtle i just keep my distance while they jump around and air dodge, and try and get hits in when their air dodges end. they are going to begin moving in a pattern eventually, and u gotta be able to recognize it and punish. You kinda need to be able to predict what they are going to do a little bit. If they get near you GET AWAY as fast as you can. Just run away and cover your tracks. His jab has a lot of hitstun, and fsmash comes out really fast. U are better off just running away and trying again from a different angle. Warios are really patient, so you need to be just as patient if ur going to win.
I approve of this post.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hmm, that is a really good tip. I think I should start doing that for now on with people I can't beat. I should just keep myself spaced and try to find out their habits. I'm already getting good with water gun as it is so that really helps me with spacing.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'm thinking of attending a low tier tournament in a few weeks. Ivy is my best pokemon, then squirtle, then charizard, but I can use all three well enough to make PT my primary choice in the tournament. The thing is, I don't know **** about matchups with PT, and I still need to work on more strategic switching.

Characters allowed in the low tier tournament: Zelda, Jigglypuff, Ike, Bowser, Lucas, Yoshi, Ness, Sonic, Pokemon Trainer, Mario, Samus, Captain Falcon, Link, and Ganondorf.

Idk why some of these characters are there, but I'm not complaining since last time I could only use Ivy :p

Anyways, the ones that don't have matchup discussions up on the PT boards are: Zelda, Jigglypuff, Sonic, Mario, Samus, Captain Falcon, and Ganondorf.

Out of those, the ones that don't have matchup discussions up on the other character boards are: Zelda, Jigglypuff, Mario, Captain Falcon, and Ganondorf.

The ones I am most worried about (in order): Zelda (best out of the remaining), Jigglypuff (I suck vs floaties), and Mario (did well against them with Ivy last time, but still unsure of how to play the matchup). Ganon and CF, tips would be nice, but not as imperative (since... well, they kinda suck :() Anything very important in other matchups you think I should know would also be appreciated.

Key things I want to know in matchups: which characters can do that stupid air release cg on squirtle (and ivysaur too, if possible) and how they can end it, who to start with/avoid, switching strategies (if they are highly reccomended, outside of switching right as the pokemon comes out, such as tanking with charizard or switch for kills), best/worst stages, actual matchup information (duh).

This is asking a LOT, I am aware, but every little bit helps, so just say whatever comes to mind. If you don't want to post stuff in here for whatever reason (could get cluttered, especially if continuing the talk about Wario), feel free to VM or PM me what you have to say.

Thanks in advance. And sorry for the over-the-top requests, but I could really use the help ._.

:059:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Ganondorf isn't hard as PT, mainly because it's Ganondorf. XD

For Falcon, go Squirtle. Squirtle is easily one of Falcon's worst if not his worst matchup period. Squirtle's small and hard to hit. All of Squirtle's aerials wreck CF in the air, too--your dair will completely outprioritize his uair with ease.

Top Bottom