• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

T-block

B2B TST
Pokemon Trainer, Zelda, Yoshi are really your only threats in low tier...maybe Bowser too.

You really need to play smart against Zelda. Between Din's Fire and her smashes she can be pretty hard to approach, and you'll get wrecked if you just rush in. Yoshi's pretty rough too...I got owned by a Yoshi last tournament I went to. I think I've got it figured out now though, and I'll rematch him at another tourney in two days and let you know how it goes after that. Don't worry about Falcon and Ganon... you really shouldn't have a problem with them. Only thing I would say is to be aware that Ganon can easily kill Squirtle in four hits.

Miles.

Smash Champion
PT destroys zelda. she is so easy to edge guard. and even if she makes it back to the level just water gun her off and repeat. Bowser is ****. I second him. Get *****. Um just dont jump into his shield you will get ***** by fortress.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I think CF might have an air release CG on squirtle though, does anyone know? (can't test this atm) That dair bit is a good tip though, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Lol IRL. **** as in, Bowser will **** me? D:

Also, quick question on Ike. A good one that spaces fairs well is tough for me (read: my Ivy) to beat... the best idea I have for this is to go Charizard and shieldcamp for grabs, throw offstage, and then fair gimp? Is that as dumb as it sounds, or actually viable against a good Ike?

Thanks for the information so far guys :)

:059:

T-block

B2B TST
Charizard wrecks Ike pretty hard. Space with Flamethrower a lot and you shouldn't have any trouble. Then there's all the other good stuff Charizard has

9Kplus1

Smash Master
So, I've been going at PT for days trying to get hydroplanning down and I just have one question:

Is this a simple dacus after the shell turn, attack + up, or am I just doing this wrong?

T-block

B2B TST
er...it's not a dacus - there's no dash attack to cancel. you're cancelling the pivot motion with a jump, and then cancelling the jump with an up-smash.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
CF doesn't have an air release CG on Squirtle. I play against a friend's CF a good bit, and he's tried it and failed, haha. Only thing you gotta watch out for is if you don't SDI the air release, you'll get upsmashed.

Oh yeah, and on Pirate Ship, Falcon Knuckle spike on swimming Ivysaur is instant death. XD

Miles.

Smash Champion
Falcon can grab release cg squirtle to the end of the stage and from there he can release to sweet spotted knee.

Also it is really easy for his to read ivysaurs air release and knee her out of it too.

Ally did it to me in our MMs.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Falcon can grab release cg squirtle to the end of the stage and from there he can release to sweet spotted knee.

Also it is really easy for his to read ivysaurs air release and knee her out of it too.

I'm assuming this is all air release, right, IRL?

Miles.

Smash Champion
FALCON CAN CG SQUIRT TO DEATH

CG TO KNNNEEEEE.

get *****.

also if the falcon is good he can air release Ivy and and knee you out of air release. (thanks ally)

Ally was doing it to me in our MM. get *****.

Miles.

Smash Champion

FALCON CAN CG SQUIRT TO DEATH

CG TO KNNNEEEEE.

get *****.

also if the falcon is good he can air release Ivy and and knee you out of air release. (thanks ally)

Ally was doing it to me in our MM. get *****.
I repeat myself a lot.

Asa

Smash Hero
In the Falco matchup, would a shellshifted utilt be a useful way to start the utilt lock, or would it be stopped too easily? I've tested it a few times, and it seems to work, but maybe the falcos I play aren't that good, idk.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah you risk getting grabbed if you do that. My u-tilt locks most often start with spot-dodging a grab attempt, but the Falco I play is grab happy ^^

Miles.

Smash Champion
In the Falco matchup, would a shellshifted utilt be a useful way to start the utilt lock, or would it be stopped too easily? I've tested it a few times, and it seems to work, but maybe the falcos I play aren't that good, idk.
I thing that shell shifted Up Tilt is a great mix up that most Pts don't use enough.

Tesh

Smash Hero
What can PT do to Lucas out of a grab release? Ground and air for each character. He slides a bit farther than Ness and I never know what to do with Ivy and Squirtle. I checked the matchup thread but there was pretty much nothing in there.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Ivy has no options out of a grab release. If she ever did, I'd bank my money on a dash attack.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Even if they escape during a pummel and wind up ground releasing? I read somewhere that Lucas "has more issues with his air release". So is there something to be done out of an air release, like bair?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Ivy has guaranteed dtilt (2nd hit only if "EIDI" break) and ftilt (doesn't hit all hits if "EIDI" break) out of a ground break, that's all I've bothered to test so far. I tried air breaks, and I'm not sure but MAYBE with perfect buffering you can CG lucas with dashgrabs... he might have two different air breaks though, just like his ground breaks (the close one and the "EIDI" one), idk. Either way, buffering helps.

I'm back here because this epic thread needed a bump my tournament is approaching and I still have a few questions. T-block, did you get to play that yoshi again? If you have any yoshi advice, that would be great. Yoshi can CG charizard, is that a big issue? (I know not to use squirtle)

Bowser has an aerial and grounded CG on squirtle, but only a grounded one on the other two characters, and his pummel is slow so it's not too hard to escape in between for an air break. This being said, I'm no longer sure if squirtle is the best choice against bowser.

Jigglypuff, samus, and (maybe) mario: any tips in general?

And yes, Pokemon Trainer is ****.

:059:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yoshi is one of the few times I'd try to maximize the time with Ivysaur. Ivy goes about 50-50 with Yoshi, and is helped by the fact that Yoshi doesn't auto-sweet-spot ledges when running off the stage (though he CAN use Egg Toss Slide to get on the ledge quicker).

Squirtle is a terrible match against Yoshi for the most part, for the same reason he has trouble with Marth - chain grab to spike. Yoshi's neutral A also trades with Squirtle, so you can't really pester with that, either. Yoshi also has better aerial mobility than Squirtle (better than EVERYONE, actually) and can out aerial Squirte as well. Finally, Yoshi is heavy and hard to kill, which doesn't bode well for the Tiny Turtle.

Charizard is also a terrible match-up against Yoshi, but not because of the chain grab (Yoshi has no real grab-release options besides regrab). No, Charizard practically dies to Yoshi because once Yoshi gets Charizard in the air (which he will), Charizard is in a world of hurt. He has NO options to avoid being juggled like crazy against the dinosaur. Yoshi's up smash will tear through nearly everything Charizard has in the air, and if you try to space with Flamethrower or Rock Smash, you're going to get destroyed by Egg Toss Slides. Charizard seems like he'd put up a fight against the dinosaur on paper, but take my word for it, Yoshi kills him.

As I said, Ivysaur holds up the best against Yoshi, but I'd still call that match about 50-50. The things Ivy has going for him are Neutral Air/Bullet Seed games, a back air that beats Yoshi's back air (which - trust me - is VERY useful), and Razor Leaf spam that beats Egg Toss spam in mid-ranges. Don't try Razor Leaf at close- or long-range, though, because at close range, you'll just eat an attack and at long range Egg Toss wins. The main thing Ivysaur needs to do is bait Yoshi into trying to come in too high and shallow, where Ivy has some KO potential. Not easy, but possible.

Overall - and as a person that mains both of these characters specifically - I'd give Yoshi a solid advantage if he knows the match-up. It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll beat any of the three, but he holds up very strong against them overall.

T-block

B2B TST
I did get to play him again but I got wrecked again x.x 0rion is right about Ivysaur imo... space space space and be really patient, and you'd be ok. I think Squirtle and Charizard don't do all that terribly though. The grab release to spike isn't an issue until higher percents, when you can't break the grab fast enough. He does have the manouverability to compete though. Charizard is stage dependent imo...if you're on something like Battlefield I wouldn't go Charizard because you really will get juggled like crazy. On stages like Final D or Pictochat I think he does all right though... practise b-reversing your Flamethrower.

If you're not comfortable with this matchup, then don't approach Yoshi...you'll get wrecked. Even once you are more comfortable you have to be really smart about it... if you're not patient enough you're gonna eat eggs, aerials, smashes, grabs, etc.

Ivysaur does pretty well against Jigglypuff in the same way he does well against Kirby. You can shut down b-air/f-air approaches, but watch out for Pound's hitbox. I really like Charizard against Bowser actually, and definitely Squirtle for Samus. Charizard gets z-air'd all day.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i beat Furbs the other weekend

charizard *****, just rocksmash/flamethrower camp, he can't really do anything about it except jump above you or throw eggs

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I played against bwett at hobo 17 in friendlies. I went 1-2 against him. But really its as typh said charizards rock smash and flame thrower are really powerful in this matchup all matchups. I would really advise to not even fight as all as squirtle unless you are sacrificing him. Ban yoshis island. Ivysuar has to play a keep away game against yoshi but yoshi is good at this as well. Really a tought matchup IMO

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah all in all yoshi is one of pt's worst matchups, either that or i don't know how to play it

miles, it's because sakurai

Top Bottom