• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big screen TV lag?

The L Man

Smash Cadet
Has anyone else noticed it? I went over to a friend's place a few nights ago and they had a pretty nice sized flat screen plasma TV or whatever, and the game had a huuuuge delay to the controls. I would press left on the control stick, and then the character would start moving a like a split second after. I was barely able to short hop or chain any combos at all and I got ***** badly... It was sad cause now every time I see him he just points and laughs at me. ha I guess I'm just not used to playing on that sort of TV... (oh and don't get me started on projector televisions... the absolute worst!)

Is there a way to remedy this, or do I just need to adapt?

Tachyon

Smash Cadet
Cedar Hill, Texas and Hawkins, Texas (college)
I'm pretty sure there is a lag of some sort on HD TVs the same as there with games like rock band and guitar hero. I think that's why most tournies only take CRT TVs because they don't want players having to deal with lag. So the only thing I can tell you is either get used to it or challenge your friend to a rematch on a CRT TV and laugh as you pwn him.

The L Man

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure there is a lag of some sort on HD TVs the same as there with games like rock band and guitar hero. I think that's why most tournies only take CRT TVs because they don't want players having to deal with lag. So the only thing I can tell you is either get used to it or challenge your friend to a rematch on a CRT TV and laugh as you pwn him.

ha Yeah. He just did that camp and projectile spam garbage alllllll night... I couldn't stand it.

.Marik

is a social misfit
YES.

I noticed this too, and this situation was leaving me quite flustered.

Just glad there's an actual reason for lag, and not just me becoming ****, lol.

Whew, that's a relief to see other people noticed this as well.

No HD TV's for me anymore. If I can help it.

Ventus

Smash Rookie
Phew, I thought I was the only one too. I did notice the difference when I played at school. *shrugs* Though it only took me a little bit to adapt to it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If you play online on a normal basis though, HDTVs are a god send. LOL.

I think if you use RGB component cables, rather than just plain AV cables, that would help the lag as well, though I'm not completely sure.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
I will never play on an HDTV, ever. The frames of latentcy change the balance of characters in the game.

It's ridiculous.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Want to know how bad the lag is on these things?
Play Guitar Hero or Rock Band on them. Watch as you hit a note, it doesn't register until 3 seconds later and the game laughs at you as you suck because "you" are offbeat.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Same thing happened to me at my first tournament. We were playing on a HDTV, and the guy I was playing was much better than me. But I was playing like absolute GARBAGE. Using snake, I would try to Utilt, instead he would jump. I kept trying to Ftilt, but instead he would Fsmash. I didn't grab him once the entire set. I couldn't do anything I wanted to. Even when I did things I meant to do, there was a slight delay, and it threw me off so bad.
I was like, "Man, I'm a little nervous for my first tourney match, but not THIS nervous! What the hell is going on?" A few days later I found out about the HDTV lag thing and I guess that was it.

Although I can't john, because he was playing on the same TV, so we both had to overcome it. But I just couldn't do it...

Meccs

@Meccs_
my cousin's flat screen has lag, it's terrible... but my friend's big screen TV 40something inch, has no lag at all...

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
It's about three frames delayed, but with a fast-paced game like Smash, it's very noticeable. But I have a 32" Flat screen and I've gotten used to it...

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
The lag is pretty bad on LCD's more, if the plasma is a good on there shouldn't be lag.

Way to get rid of the lag is not being cheap and buying nice "component cables" for your wii. Someone have a link above of what they look like.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I was quite dissapointed when we got our nice little laggy TV. All the games lag, but you get used to it. That's why I want my old dinosaur TV back, it's bigger and doesn't lag. The downside is it weighs about 200 pounds. :(

The nice TV's look good when you watch TV, but prove to be quite annoying when playing. In conclusion...get a dinosaur TV.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Many HDTV's have a "game mode" where it does less processing of the video (colorizing, etc.) to try and reduce lag.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
also make sure the video feed goes directly to the TV. If you are running it through an A/V receiver or other kind of switchbox, you will create more delay.

Foobis

Smash Cadet
Could input lag have anything to do with the TV model/manufacturer? I use a Samsung 32" HDTV and I have basically no input lag. I have tried both Component and regular cables, and the input lag is nearly non-existent on both.

Note: When I tried smash on my friend's Sony 32" HDTV, I noticed that there seems to be a very small delay in the input. Im guessing the problem really is the manufacturer.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
I had the opposite effect. I only play on HDTVs, and i get wrecked at tourneys cause they use normal TVs and im not used to it. It feels like the regular TVs lag to me : /

I play on a Toshiba Regza 42inch with game mode on at my house and 32 inch Regza at my GFs. My friends all have HDTVs at their houses too. Component Cables on everyones TV. Game mode doesnt make much of a difference, at least i dont feel it. Played Brawl like this for around 6 or 7 months. It all felt normal to me, as I never played Brawl on a regular TV until i went to my first tourney and got wrecked bad. You can imagine how i felt, just look at the responses above me about people playing on HDTVs for the first time. Its pretty much the same thing. Not being used to the difference can severely effect your game.

I dont have access to crappy TVs anymore and it feels stupid to me when i play on them at the few tourneys ive been. It feels slow. I thought about buying a small crappy TV to play on before tourneys to practice getting used to it but im not sure anymore as im finding less and less time to go to tournamets so it might not be worth it. Tourneys are really fun, but getting wrecked cause you arent used to the lag or non lag is not fun.

But whatever, no Johns. The people i lost to deserved to beat me those days.

Someone needs to have a HDTV only tourney :D

I love playing Smash in widescreen on my big *** HDTV in my room where i sit like 3 or 4 feet from it so getting a smaller TV that doesnt look as good isnt very appealing to me....and my PS3 looks great on it.

Top Bottom