• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BIO 4 MELEE (MISF) - San Francisco, July 10

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
BIO 4 MELEE (MISF)
July 10, 2010
Sir Francis Drake Hotel
450 Powell Street
San Francisco, CA

AIB thread: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=9389
If you plan on attending, please sign in to AIB and click the "I am attending" button!

So the guy who runs the BIO series has asked me if I would like to host a Melee tourney there also. It's a really nice venue, and we would have our own room that holds 70-80 people.
That's right, Melee has its own room so you don't have to mingle your elitist ***** with Barlw kids. - EDIT: We're all in the same room now =/

Tourney info:
Schedule:
We don't have all night to run this tournament like we do at other places, so I need you guys to show up by 11AM.
I will assess a $2 late fee for anyone that arrives past noon and wants to be in the bracket!
Teams will start at 12:30
Singles signups will END AT 2PM - another $2 late fee will apply here.
Singles pools will start at 3PM
We get kicked out at 10PM

Fees:
Venue fee: $5 - $2 off for full setup, $1 for console or TV by itself.
Entry fee: $5 singles, $10 per team ($5 per team member)
$2 late fee for not entering doubles by noon or singles by 2. So if you're in Dajuan's car bring extra cash.

Parking/transportation info:
Here is a map of the area. The venue is at 450 Powell, which is between Post and Sutter.

BART: There is a BART station only a few blocks from the venue, the Powell Street Station. After getting out of the station, just head North 4 blocks on Powell.

Parking: Here is a list of parking places from the official Union Square site:
http://www.unionsquareshop.com/parking.html
As you can see, you're going to spend close to $30 for parking, so you'll want to carpool or just take BART.
I found a couple that -might- be cheaper (no guarantees, just going off of reviews on yelp, etc) but a few blocks more away. Nothing more than a 5 min walk though.
California Parking at 400 Taylor St
Propark at 520 Mason St
The closest on is the Union Square Garage on Post Street, but it's $32 for the day.

RULES:
We will use the ruleset for GSG since it is 2 weeks after this:

The Obvious:
-4 stock
-8 minute time limit
-Sets are best of 3, with the exception of losers/winners semi finals, winners/losers/grand finals which are best of 5.
-Double Elimination
-items off
-Team attack on, life stealing allowed

More Rules:
-Ties broken by
A. By whoever has more stock wins
B. Whoever has lower percent wins
C. If they both are at the same percent same stock then the sudden death is played out.
-STRIKEOUT METHOD FOR FIRST MATCH!
A. Characters are decided
B. The players play rock-paper-scissors. Winner decides order.
C. The order is 1-2-1 on striking out stages.
-Winner set your ONE stage ban AFTER your first match is played.
-Loser counter pick procedure.
A. Loser chooses stage.
B. Winner chooses character.
C. Loser chooses character.
-Dave’s Stupid Rule (canNOT counter pick a stage you have won on in the same set).
-Wobbling and freeze glitch is banned
-all forms of excessive stalling are banned (example: mewtwo soul stunner, peach bomber, jigglypuff’s rising pound, etc.)

Stages
Singles Neutrals:
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

Singles counterpicks:
all Neutral stages plus
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64

RAINBOW CRUISE AND BRINSTAR ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN SINGLES.

Doubles Neutrals:
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Doubles counterpicks:
all Neutral stages plus
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like there are gonna be a lot of tourneys in July. Assuming there's this, CGC, and GSG, I feel like making this a local tourney would help with the overall attendance of either of the others.

Too many regionals around the same time = no super successful ones.

Also, I've never run a tourney by myself, so I'd be glad to help out so that I could learn the ropes. Hopefully I'll be able to set up some Berkeley stuff in the future.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
OK so the host is willing to knock the venue fee down to $5, and we can set whatever entry fee and ruleset we want. Come on Norcal, I hear your *****-***** clamoring for tournaments so give me some input on this. The guy needs to have an idea of how many people are going to show up.

pockyD

Smash Legend
CGC's supposed to be the week after, right? then GSG the week after that?

bill it as a local and even then, i wouldn't have any real expectations

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The CGC's date is not confirmed as far as I know, but I intend to make the decision based on when it happens.

Pika_Legend

Smash Rookie
i havent been to a smash tournament in years. i think this will probably be my first one ive been looking to get back into it. me and my brother will we comin to play some doubles and single (brawl)

Eggz

Smash Hero
im carpooling to this with WA
i think i might be around for GSG, CGC, and this. I might just stay in norcal for 3 weeks.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
evo is not running either event as a main tournament. there's a possibility for side tournaments though. best to check SRK. though, if nothing's been posted on aib or smashboards this late in the game, I doubt anything big will happen.

not to mention evo brawl sucks.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I think the consensus is that this should be a 1 day tourney on Saturday. If anyone feels otherwise, let me know.
There is a $5 venue fee, so I don't know whether to make the entry fee higher to try to draw competition or to keep it low so people will come. My initial feeling is to keep it low since people are already going to have to deal with parking in SF, but we'll see how many non-Norcal show interest.

Also I will definitely be around that weekend so I don't need anyone to fill in TO duties.

ALSO, we may have a very special visitor from Australia this weekend, CAOTIC! I will probably be housing his party for a couple days and hopefully they will be here in time for the tournament.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Yes indeed, this is happening for sure. I will post some more detailed info + parking tips in the coming week or so.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Yes we need as many setups as possible.

Rules will be whatever is used at GSG, since that's 2 weeks after this. I believe it's similar to P4 except that RC and Brinstar are banned, leaving only the 5 starter stages + PS and KJ64. Wobbling is banned also.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I would if GSG were my tourney. This tournament is going to use GSG rules in order for people to practice with them.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Waaht shroomed is going? Sweet hopefully I get to play you =)
If you have a driver's license, can you pick me up at the BART Station? Also I added you on Google Talk. Even if you don't use it, every person who has a Gmail account will be able to access it. I will go to this if someone picks me up at the BART Station or I find a ride from Jon. :025:

EDIT: Thanks, SuperRad. Nevermind, Caleb. I think I'm good.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
is there gonna be a melee tournament?

in the events on the AiB page, it says melee but on the description it has nothing about melee events like the pricings and such.

Top Bottom