• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BISB 2 - Brawl Is Serious Business 2 Tourney Result

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Top 3 were
1) Snake
2) Ice Climbers
3) ROB
4 was...Mar1, right? He went DK all the way?

EDIT

SSBB Singles
1: Ally (Snake)
2: Swordgard (IC)
3: Holy (ROB)
4: Dom (Snake only?)
5: Stroumbert (Falco only..?)
5: Mar1 (DK only..?)
7: Knuckles (MK only)
7: Agora (ROB only?)
Clear it up?

kr3wman

Smash Master
Awww, truth hurts maybe? Not everyone has the potential to become a champion.
Of course.

What the **** else do you want me to say, that never giving up and always believing in victory will always make you get through tough times?

People aren't that stupid in their stupidity Kage.

EDIT : What I'm saying is that everyone wants and can be good,not champion good, but good enough to play with 'very' good people, but here it's mainly stopped by the fact that the scene is hella dead and good people play with good people and bad people are stuck with other bad people. I have nothing against good people playing with good people, but bad people can't get anywhere and that's just because the scene isn't going anywhere lulz.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya but, you kinda have to do that if you want to win. If ever you have a single doubt about yourself then that's gonna hold you back in anything you do. If you want something then chase it all the time, it's not gonna come to you ever.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Philosophical talk?

All I see is ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH and it's hella good enough for me.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
All this philosophical talk has made me realize I've been Montreal's gatekeeper in every smash game so far, barring 64 which never had a scene.

:(
Gatekeeper? umm... This ain't the heavens.

I don't think what I say is philosophical, it's my own truth. If you don't like it, then I don't really mind.

stop watching cartoons yo
Never, they are fun.

Then are you implying that you shouldn't chase your dreams?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I only got good at Lucario by knowing it was my duty to represent him in my community, and now I've pushed my self-esteem high enough to know I can be the best Lucario around.

First step is Canada!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Gatekeeper? umm... This ain't the heavens.
It's a figure of speech. The best correlation I can make to this is a gatekeeper in MMA, someone who is a good fighter but won't be getting title shots, just facing a bunch of up and coming contenders.

it's my own truth
That's essentially the definition of a philosophy. I even looked at the first definition of philosophy in dictionary.com:

phi⋅los⋅o⋅phy [fi-los-uh-fee]
–noun, plural -phies.
1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
Like, 80% of what you say is philosophical, lol.

vrud

Smash Apprentice
If that was the case then Mango wouldn't win at all and everyone would be equally skilled which is not possible because people think differently.
No because its not the potential that determines how good a player is. Practice and experience (but mostly experience) determine if a player is good.

Edit: What im trying to say is that i agree with krew. We bad players can't really get better by playing the same level ppl. Being the best can be my top prority in life and i wouldnt be able to get anywhere because good players never wanna play with bad ppl. I can chase my "dream" all i want but in the end the good players determine if i reach it or not.

buenob

Smash Lord
you gotta realize that "good players" have lives too, and if they want to stay a "good player" they can't teach you everything... if you just get what you need to work on from a match with a "good player", and you have the possibility of becoming one yourself, then all you need is to play more against whatever skill you can....

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Brawl Low tiers singles
1: Ally
2: Holy
3: Joel
4: Stroumbert
5: Swordgard
5: Kage
7: Kingkong
7: Steb
9: Linkshot
9: Mar1
9: Knuckles
9: Guard
13: Hate
13: Haze
13: Buenob
13: Stephan
17: Jerry3333
17: Earthmaze
17: Hidef
17: Schto
17: Frank
17: Hells
17: Vir
17: Milord
25: L2P
25: Elmo
25: Cynan
25: Anich

can somebody add characters next to the names please? its really important

Jer

Smash Ace
Vrud, you decide how good you get/how you place, and noone else. You have to realize your flaws and fix them, it's not the pros job to make YOU better, they're pros for a reason. How do you think they got there? Experience. You haven't been playing nearly as long as Kage, Chet, and all of them, so you guys really have to stop whining about people not wanting to play you.

Noone here in MTL is that full of themself that they won't play with anyone who asks, believe me

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Brawl Low tiers singles
1: Ally (Falcon)
2: Holy (Sonic/PT)
3: Joel (Mario)
4: Stroumbert (Lucas?)
5: Swordgard (Lucas?)
5: Kage (Ike/Ganondorf)
7: Kingkong (Bowser)
7: Steb (Lucas)
9: Linkshot (Ness)
9: Mar1 (Mario)
9: Knuckles (Zelda/Link)
9: Guard (Link?)
13: Hate (Samus?)
13: Haze (Lucas/?)
13: Buenob (Samus/Falcon?)
13: Stephan (?)
17: Jerry3333 (Yoshi?)
17: Earthmaze (..?)
17: Hidef (PT?)
17: Schto (?)
17: Frank (?)
17: Hells (?)
17: Vir (?)
17: Milord (?)
25: L2P (?)
25: Elmo (?)
25: Cynan (? I can ask though)
25: Anich (?)

can somebody add characters next to the names please? its really important
I added what I remember.

vrud

Smash Apprentice
Im not saying its their job to teach me how to get good. And playing someone at a low level for however long won't make you that much better trust me. But watever pretend i never said anything.

Edit: im not complaining that good players wont play with me. I understand y they wouldnt want to. Im just sayin its rlly hard to get good by playing the same lv ppl as me.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
You can get better by observing top players, practicing their level of techs, and then tweaking them with your own personal style.

This goes for all games.

jerry3333

Smash Cadet
I went yoshi in both low tier and normal tourney, and ironically, I did better in the normal tourney

Earthmaze went Ness

Edit: Brackets? >.>

swordgard

Smash Hero
I believe the complete opposite of you kage.

IMO, becoming a top player is not about talent at all, its about effort put into the game, even m2k said he had no talent at melee and had to learn everything. Talent imo only helps you improve faster, but with hard work you can definitely overcome talent, and i think that my placing proves that.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer

IMO, becoming a top player is not about talent at all, its about effort put into the game, even m2k said he had no talent at melee and had to learn everything. Talent imo only helps you improve faster, but with hard work you can definitely overcome talent, and i think that my placing proves that.
Hell yeah, becoming a top player on a continent isn't about talent at all.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Hell yeah, becoming a top player on a continent isn't about talent at all.
Wow, that contained so much factual value, i cant even find a place to start because of all the arguing i will have to do.

I really believe this game is about knowledge and understanding the in game mechanics first, which is not determined by talent. Yes, talent does have some impact on your performance, but its not the number 1 factor imo. Hard work and how much time/effort you are willing to put into this is.

Or you guys can continue on believing that and not train or find yourselves "special" due to the talent you have, il be training and improving during that time.

I might also pick up melee again soon, i need to get good at that game >.<

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, that contained so much factual value, i cant even find a place to start because of all the arguing i will have to do.

I really believe this game is about knowledge and understanding the in game mechanics first, which is not determined by talent. Yes, talent does have some impact on your performance, but its not the number 1 factor imo. Hard work and how much time/effort you are willing to put into this is.

Or you guys can continue on believing that and not train or find yourselves "special" due to the talent you have, il be training and improving during that time.

You know, some people travelled a lot to play smash. I can list some, you can list some. But did every of these people became insanely good? hell no. Even if they play a **** lot, even if they can attempt countless numbers of tournament they aren't that impressive in the end.

Yes this game is about knowledge and understanding, but probably 95% of everyone still playing this game today will never reach Mango's or m2k's today skills in 20 years. Even probably 2004's ken would get in the top 20 of today's smashers, you know.

But yeah, because I don't want to say any name, I'll say it differently...
Arsenic41, who started playing in 2007 and lives in ottawa (the least good between toronto, ottawa and montreal) got beaten by me twice easly. And one year later I played him again and he was even, maybe better than me. And he only played ottawa players and stuff!

While yes it's about knowledge and understanding, it takes talent to understand it faster than other people. Arsenic took a year to get at my level, while I play for more than 6 years. And he's really not the only example I can list... look at vwins and bam (and jih and damax), they were 4 ****ty players from ste thérèse, and in a matter of months two of them were winning sets against QC's top players.

what I try to explain is some people take a day to understand things that people understand in a week, a month, a year. And these people, no matter how they say that they are "not talented", well yes they are, because they understood the game's physics way faster than anyone else, and this is a massive point you need to become good at this game. And this point, I call it talent.

M2k saying he has no talent is really plain emo or whatever you call it. The guy's talented for many different reasons.

swordgard

Smash Hero
You know, some people travelled a lot to play smash. I can list some, you can list some. But did every of these people became insanely good? hell no. Even if they play a **** lot, even if they can attempt countless numbers of tournament they aren't that impressive in the end.

Yes this game is about knowledge and understanding, but probably 95% of everyone still playing this game today will never reach Mango's or m2k's today skills in 20 years. Even probably 2004's ken would get in the top 20 of today's smashers, you know.

But yeah, because I don't want to say any name, I'll say it differently...
Arsenic41, who started playing in 2007 and lives in ottawa (the least good between toronto, ottawa and montreal) got beaten by me twice easly. And one year later I played him again and he was even, maybe better than me. And he only played ottawa players and stuff!

While yes it's about knowledge and understanding, it takes talent to understand it faster than other people. Arsenic took a year to get at my level, while I play for more than 6 years. And he's really not the only example I can list... look at vwins and bam (and jih and damax), they were 4 ****ty players from ste thérèse, and in a matter of months two of them were winning sets against QC's top players.

what I try to explain is some people take a day to understand things that people understand in a week, a month, a year. And these people, no matter how they say that they are "not talented", well yes they are, because they understood the game's physics way faster than anyone else, and this is a massive point you need to become good at this game. And this point, I call it talent.

M2k saying he has no talent is really plain emo or whatever you call it. The guy's talented for many different reasons.

Say someone is learning very fast , you just gotta spend more time training than them or finding ways to be more efficient, i doubt talent is the only factor at hand here.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

Oh wow, comme si c'etait tres difficile a pratiquer des CGs. M2K has insane talent, he's just emo because he has to make tough choices and he can't win anymore because he plays 2 hard games at the same time.. but he still makes the most money out of everyone lol. His memory capability is ridiculous. Talent does help you improve faster and also you NEED particular talent if you want to be the best. They are just things you are meant to do. You'll need a certain mindset to keep on improving.. why do you think some people Love or Hate certain things? I think that would be called having some affinity towards things. This is not Naruto land. A godlike guitarist won't be able to become a godlike engineer because he won't be able to understand things that make a godlike engineer no matter how hard he tries.

First, you gotta love it with everything you have, you keep chasing it after and then you keep improving at a ridiculous rate. I think that's how it goes.

Lol t'es malade tu penses vraiment que je vais te laisser me surpasser? Moi j'arrete pas de jouer pi je continue a experimenter pour voir se qui marche ou pas. Do you really think, I sit on my *** and don't play the game? Also, I'm pretty sure there are some players who played a lot more than me but are crappier than me because simply they don't understand some things. It's very difficult to unlock potential in this game. You require much more Reaction time, spacing, punish ability, etc. etc... than brawl, that's for sure. Some people won't become the top simply because they don't have enough reaction time.. and they can't help it.. I don't think you can improve reaction time, it's natural.

Say someone is learning very fast , you just gotta spend more time training than them or finding ways to be more efficient, i doubt talent is the only factor at hand here.
Again.. that ain't Naruto lol.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't think of anything that you could put into "it just needs understanding and hard work" than an IQ test. As you may or may not agree, no, it's not about hard work and physics's understanding, this time. Let's say we give this test to 100 people... If we follow your logic, everyone would hit the same score in an IQ test because everybody's at the same scale before the exam, right?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Or maybe everything you can do, you can train it.. even though it's very very difficult. Let's just say you have mastered technical completely without fail. But then you'll have to encounter the problems of making the right decisions and things like that... It would require you to change your mind or train your mind to enable you to see everything what the opponent is doing and then counter him/punish him for making mistakes. That requires much more training and I don't think everyone is willing to go through mental punishment or simply just see things differently than what they already know because I think it's a comfort zone. To go beyond what you already know requires experimentation and keep trying new things until these new things start to work. Ya so much practice is needed for that, it's pretty absurd..

Maybe it's possible for everyone to achieve a level like that but still.. How do you change your current mindset or way of thinking? Your experiences make what you are or who are you right now. So.. what makes a top player, the top? They always make the right decisions in battle with better tools than everyone else, they see everything what everyone is doing... but then how do you achieve that?

I'll let you decide that as long as you keep trying lolll. =D

swordgard

Smash Hero
Or maybe everything you can do, you can train it.. even though it's very very difficult. Let's just say you have mastered technical completely without fail. But then you'll have to encounter the problems of making the right decisions and things like that... It would require you to change your mind or train your mind to enable you to see everything what the opponent is doing and then counter him/punish him for making mistakes. That requires much more training and I don't think everyone is willing to go through mental punishment or simply just see things differently than what they already know because I think it's a comfort zone. To go beyond what you already know requires experimentation and keep trying new things until these new things start to work. Ya so much practice is needed for that, it's pretty absurd..

Maybe it's possible for everyone to achieve a level like that but still.. How do you change your current mindset or way of thinking? Your experiences make what you are or who are you right now. So.. what makes a top player, the top? They always make the right decisions in battle with better tools than everyone else, they see everything what everyone is doing... but then how do you achieve that?

I'll let you decide that as long as you keep trying lolll. =D
Ahah, kinda funny, cause basically i can really pinpoint the moment i switched mindset in my smasher career. Easy to say its easy to cg though lmao, i dont see any other player with ics beating ally , and only 2 of em placing good too. Guess it aint all that easy eh? Either way, its not because its ridiculously hard that its undoable, im saying its achievable, but it requires alot of dedication. Not only that, but considering you can only say who has potential after they become pro(since otherwise you can say they simply havent unlocked it yet), everyone should train alot. Im just saying it always possible if you put enough time/effort into it, it might simply be really be disproportionnate compared to other players.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Base Skill and Skill Growth are based on genetics.
M2K doesn't have "talent". He has light Autism. THAT's where the memory comes from. I have it, too. That's pretty much how, within a few months, I improved an extreme amount.

We take something and run with it. It's dedication.

Yes, genetics play a HUGE factor. Saying genetics mean nothing is like saying if you exercise regularly, regardless of how slow your metabolism is, you can be a lightweight.

Doesn't work like that. Limits are set when you're born, and you just have to work with them.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Base Skill and Skill Growth are based on genetics.
M2K doesn't have "talent". He has light Autism. THAT's where the memory comes from. I have it, too. That's pretty much how, within a few months, I improved an extreme amount.

We take something and run with it. It's dedication.

Yes, genetics play a HUGE factor. Saying genetics mean nothing is like saying if you exercise regularly, regardless of how slow your metabolism is, you can be a lightweight.

Doesn't work like that. Limits are set when you're born, and you just have to work with them.
The thing is, you can be lightweight if your metabolism is slow, you just gotta eat way less and do way more exercises than others. Problem being, most people arent willing to go to these extremes, im saying its possible for you to attain m2k level , its just gonna take you way more dedication than anyone is usually willing to put in one thing.

Top Bottom