• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bite over Turtle?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hey everyone I just need to know if you can bite a G&W that keeps approaching with the bair and does Wario do decent against G&W? I need to pick up a G&W counter so I need to know how Wario does. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ace55

Smash Lord
On the top of this forum you will find the awesome guide, try it.

10dissapointedzelda's

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario is not ***** by G&W, you just got to play differently and take openings very seriously.

Hylian knows what I mean, I think he would agree with me when I say Wario doesn't get *****.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
will you help me with that...? i cant win vs. G&W. what kinds of things should i look out for?
and how should i "play differently"

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If they feel like they are in any severe danger, they will try to Upb out of it, whether it be right after you dair or OOS when you are getting way too close. Smash DI the turtle, punish the lag on his attacks but do it smart, avoid his Smash attacks at all costs even if it means you reset the situation over and over, save Fsmash for guaranteed punishment and for kills, and use Fthrow almost exclusively for more damage.

Tech the Dthrow every time and figure out which way to go to avoid a tech chase. Shield grab any failed approaches, don't get baited by the key cause it is extremely hard to go even with it even with your Uair, and use ftilt to space against him.

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
I have never really fought Game & Watch so I don't really know about this matchup, but I do know this is a bad matchup. Concerning the bite agaist the turtle, it should work like it does against Yoshi's Bair. If you touch his body before he hits you bite him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's not that bad guys, really like it's nowhere near as bad as Marth and Dedede. It's kinda like fighting MK, the matchup is around that difficulty, at least for me.

Gea

Smash Master
Basically just play a GW till you're comfy. The main things are getting used to his hitboxes and his lag. If you know those well (and know how long to shield, how to not get dthrown to smashed and baited into fsmash) most GWs will go down hard.

I like jumping towards him when he's grounded, baiting the turtle, then DJing over his shorthop and carefully punishing.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Initially, it seems like G&W owns Wario hard, but once you learn a few things about the match-up, it's not that bad.

Dr. Mario Guy and Gea have made good points. G&W's Bair and Fair are all pretty easy to avoid and punish if he lands, but you do NOT want to attempt to punish from the ground in general since the move will likely be spaced well and you'll eat a Dtilt if you attempt to run in or shield grab. Use things like Dair and Chomp from the air to punish his landing lag. If you get caught in the Bair, you can smash DI up and get out of it before the strong hit box appears.

Wario and G&W are fairly evenly matched in the KO percentage department, but Wario's KO moves are much faster. As mentioned before, avoid G&W's smashes at all costs. Don't attempt to punish a missed Fsmash in general since it has very little cool down lag. Tech the Dthrow (press L/R/Shield button right after the 3rd "beep" of the juggle) to avoid Dsmash. IMO, one of the best things G&W has in this match-up is if he guesses your tech correctly and lands a Usmash since it is crazy strong.

In general, play "hard to get." With experience, you'll learn when openings really appear and when his moves give the illusion of openings with their crazy hit boxes. When openings are there, G&W can take 20-40% easily from a couple of Dairs/Uairs/Chomps. Once he gets to 80-90%, a "Half-Waft" should take him out. Play it a little more conservatively on using the Fsmash to KO (probably 90-100% to be safe) since he cannot be edgeguarded safely in general.

Honestly, I see this as maybe 40-60 in favor of G&W; but the more I learn the match-up, the more even it seems. IMO, it's a little easier than Meta Knight and about on par with R.O.B.

Tink

Smash Hero
rofl....idk....i have cosmo and joel by me and consistenly play them and id say the matchups **** for wario for sure. if the gw plays right, you will have no chances of getting in with an ariel or even that close to get a killing move. i mean, it can be done, but its very very hard for wario imo. i also think most top tiers just generally own wario other then snake <_<.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Hitting him with aerials (mostly fairs and dairs, I don't try much else) is hella easy, landing the killing blow is what's difficult, b/c Watch's either come out faster or will beat yours out.

Hylian is one of the best Game and Watch out there, and DMG two stocked him on RC, and won a set against him w/ Wario. It's really all about punishing Watch's aerials and spacing when he's on the ground. You can spotdodge the last hit of the turtle if you shield it and then grab or fsmash if they didn't space that well, you can also spotdodge the last hit of the key and punish as you wish.

Just stay airborne and wait for opportunities. Watch dies considerably faster than MK, so he's easier.

Tink

Smash Hero
see, i know hylians good with gw, but comparing him with joel is stupid <_<....joels said to be the best gw by m2k, who knows a little something about the game. also, the 2 moves you SHOULD use vs wario, with gw is turtle and nair, and both moves, when used right, beat out every aerial wario has <_<. thus aerial approach is very very hard to do.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I punished Hylian a lot when he did Nairs, more so than when he did turtle. Turtle is fine but I can hop over it, Nair is fine but I can punish the lag after wards while he is still in the air. Dair is fine but I can punish it pretty easily if he hits my shield. Uair is fine but it usually doesn't hurt you and I like free air rides :)

I mean G&W has some pretty good range, but he has weaknesses you can exploit.

Tink

Smash Hero
ya, im not saying its impossible to beat a gw with wario, but its very hard to beat one that knows what hes doing in the matchup.

i guess my region just learned to never approach warios and counter attack them <_<. yours apprently needs to as well. makes playing wario not so fun -_-.

Tink

Smash Hero
i mean, ive tried and it works, but the amount of time it works, to the amount of times you get damaged for trying, is to hard to weigh. i mean, im a really agressive wario, dont get me wrong, and that most likley is my fault in the matchup <_<, but im just trying to say that the matchups actually harder for wario then people are saying <_<. atleast for me

im actually going to a tourny this wekend thats going to have joel at it(those of you who dont know, one of the best gws) and ill try to get vids and post them to see what you guys think im doin wrong. hopefully you can help. hopefully i win =)).

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah, i'm really aggresive too, and that's what screws me over when I play a good G&W.

If i was more patient or played more campy ( I hate playing boring rounds ) I would do better, but I can't stand to just hop around and not do anything.
I always want to over punish too.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
As much as it sucks, you can't really play aggro against the likes of MK and Watch. You have to bide your time until you can pressure/punish them.

Top Bottom