• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bits of strategy and tips for luigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

$ilk 06

Smash Rookie
i like to do the running shorthop airdodge agisnt projectiles, because with good spaceing u can still be on the offensive

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Fire balls do stun, and stop most attacks of you get the timeing right, and if luigi can chain grab i'd love to know my self:rotfl:. though I think luigi grabs are more of combo initiators.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
ya his fireballs don't suck in the least D: can stop a bunch of recoveries, stops a approaching char very well but Luigi can't chain grab like he could in melee D: At least not any I know O.o

captainjupiter

Smash Rookie
I personally like to reverse spike opponents. I just run off the stage and up-b them, which needs to be quickly performed for the shock factor. It's more of a mind game, because most people get pretty depressed when they realize they've just been reverse spiked.

shOOs

Smash Rookie
^easier said than done. I'm not sure if up-B is a wise move to use off the stage when in pursuit.

1. It is hard to hit right
2. If you hit or miss you are go into helpless state and can't use any other recover, if you are too far from the stage to DI to the ledge you die a far slower death than your opponent.
3. Luigi has so many other great moves to use off the stage. B-air has great knockback, his sexkick almost always hits, f-air is fast and can easily hit 2 or 3 times in a row. Coupled with his multiple recovery moves, Luigi is a gimp machine!

Just my opinion of course,

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Though B-up is a large risk due to the inability to move afterwords but thare are a few ways to set it up like A jab B-up, and i've also herd than D-tilt to B-up works to, but it seemsthat it is easy to put up the sheild after the jab so it's still a risk.

Keep the tips coming!

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
D-Tilt to Up-B works great at like 60-80% damage because the D-Tilt should trip them, and since their damage isn't too high, they should be right in your Up-B range after the hit.

captainjupiter

Smash Rookie
Like I said, it's more for freaking someone out than being useful. It takes a bit of practice to nail the timing.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you up-b out of a shield? Do you just do the regular button combo while shielding, or does it require b-sticking, or what? Also, can you do any other attacks out of the shield?

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
just let go of the shield button and ^b lol you will not b punished @ all in this game for playing cautiously. O.o/

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
learning the extent of enemy moves is useful for setting up the upB. If I know a falco is about to do a sideB i can try to roll back to catch him when he lands and then do an upB to make that bird fly =D.

Daterian

Smash Cadet
I find the fireballs are great because they come out slow. Most of my mates try and spot dodge them but end up getting hit because the fireball is low enough that the spot dodge is too fast to miss the whole fireball.

Also, if you face an olimar one of the best ways to approach is luigi's tornado. Because of its multiple fast hits it kills pikmin the are thrown and any that are used to try and grab with. This can really throw campy olimar's and grab happy ones.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Yes, the cyclone is a unexspected powerhouse when faceing almost any person. It has huge recovery(air), high priority, moves quickly on the ground, and if you hit with the final blow in sudden death it is the most hilarious kill i've ever seen.

the cyclone is best way I've seen to fight snake (while on the ground) because it negates his running A, and it will quickly stop most smashes.

products

Smash Rookie
I like to do retreating short hop double fireballs and this usually gets the opponent to either jump or roll. If they try to jump over your fireballs and meet right infront of you, you can just jab combo them, if they try to approach with an aerial, you can shield grab. If they spam roll to get around the fireball spam, then you can just down smash or any smash. If they stay within range to not get hit by the fireballs, I like to do a short hop single fireball, and as I land I tornado into them. This works best against characters without projectiles.

CookieCrisp

Smash Rookie
I find that the run --> Slide to spot dodge then up B is great, as is the shield roll to the other side then smash down A.

Throw in a green missile every know and then and you will have quite a surprised opponent.

Speaking of spot dodging, i really, really hate dodging Ike's over A, as it literally hits the perimeter of his Down and UP A, even behind him...

Eten

Smash Ace
over A, like forward smash? or forward tilt? Eh, well I think I know what you mean and both moves can apply.

The real answer is never give Ike the place to use it. If you just be a jerk with the fireballs, he'll have to approach you, and then it's very easy to have him do something you can just dodge and punish then. But if you REALLY have to get an Ike, just don't rush it. Just mindgame him into thinking you are gonna go at him where he can hit you with his Fsmash, but don't go for it so he misses, then punish him. Sometimes I short hop forward like I'm gonna hit him, but then I DI away and he doesn't get me while I fall into a tornado and catch him on the lag of his attack.

Ohhh.. and
Up-B's and stuff can be done out of shield w/ tap jump on...(whoever was talking about this.) it's not all that useful for luigi cause they have to be RIGHT on your shield for it, and sometimes a shield drop is fast enough. Or you can just like, jump to sweetspotted sex kick, that'll kill instead at 115% or so.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Everyone i have been playing wigi since 64 >.> my brawl guide nearly complete..... and i feel like switching to snake, do to the disadvantage Luigi has against MK and Snake ._.; anyone have any tourny luck w/ him, I have placed 7th w/ wigi and don't know if I could go any higher >.>;

cheifrocka

Smash Apprentice
It's difficult to WoP anyone in this game, and if they have even marginal DI you wont be doing it with the fair. The bair is about the closest you could get to one.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
D-throw to Nair is great as well as descending fireball to Nair. This will make it so they get hit or if they evade they get hit by a fireball. If you can time it right and they evade, you can then punish them since the Nair cancels and they will be hit by a fireball.

Also, d-tilt to grab is effective for spacing.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
using his tornado as a recovery move is also probably the best recovery move in the game... The hight you get off that move is enormous. Also when your falling you can use it to slow your fall slightly which can throw off an opponent who is charging a really powerful up smash on the ground, like Ike's for instance
Yes but remember to save your jump or else this wont help you recover. It is only effective after you jump because you need momentum to use this move properly

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
i like to do the running shorthop airdodge agisnt projectiles, because with good spaceing u can still be on the offensive
This is good but do not abuse it. It willbecome predictible and people will start to bait you into using it. Then you will be punished.

D-Tilt to Up-B works great at like 60-80% damage because the D-Tilt should trip them, and since their damage isn't too high, they should be right in your Up-B range after the hit.
D-tilt is a great combo starter! At low percents I use it twice and then do a down smash to u- air n-air vice versa.

D-throw to Nair is great as well as descending fireball to Nair. This will make it so they get hit or if they evade they get hit by a fireball. If you can time it right and they evade, you can then punish them since the Nair cancels and they will be hit by a fireball.

Also, d-tilt to grab is effective for spacing.
Nair is also great for canceling projectiles, snake's UP SMASH and Metaknights tornado!

Doh. Sorry double post.

Amide

Smash Lord
At low%, follow up DThrow with aerials. Bair and Nair are your friends. Nair can actually combo. Fireball for approach, not as projectile. Angle up FSmash.

Razz113

Smash Cadet
All these tips were talking about i highly recomend peoplepractice a lot because one of them might just end up being a Luigi Xfactor in a match.

Adam_CUTIE

Smash Cadet
True, you can Dsmash while still sliding, but i don't think many people will let you walk up to them:ohwell:. Another oddity is luigi's Fsmash when tilted up slightly will have a much faster rate of fire than normal.

On a personal note, anyone got a few tips on how to face long-range projectile abusers?
pull out Senor G&W + spam bacon at them :)

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
D-air spike hitbox is around is arms when he spins around. Luigi's airs are extremely fast, use that to your advantage, as well as his unique slide after walking or dashing. Against people with bad DI, you can do u-tilt, u-tilt, u-tilt, u-smash at low %'s.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Thank you for all your tips, i'll start putting into one post to make the thread more helpful.

BTW, i'm back from no-internet land.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
What is this? I wasn't even around the last time there was a post here. We already have a strategy guide, a how to get better thread, and an FAQ. All of those can do what this thread is doing.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
As kigbariom pointed out, in the meantime other threads have come to replace this one. If you would like to contribute, please post there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom