• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bizarre Beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Leviticus is Old Testament. What Jesus taught in Matthew is New Testament and is what we should try to live by.
No, no, no! I can't let you!

If the Bible is to be considered the "absolute" word of God (as some on the boards claim it is), then shouldn't an absolute source not have any contradictions in it?

jugfingers

Smash Champion
@ jugfingers everything you said about Christianity you can apply to Islam. The issue of Jesus being the only way, Islam does also claim to be the only way.

you can say the same with Mohammed

you can say the same with the Qu'ran.

yea, uh that was sort of my point...

but islam does not claim to be the only way if your source of information is the qu'ran,
of course people use religion for political reasons and will say otherwise, but in terms of the qu'ran no it says that there are basically infinite paths to god. I wasn't saying the qu'ran is any different than the bible in terms of being the word of god and being limited by human language I was just pointing out that all religions aren't exclusive.

bapu ghandi says that all religions are correct.

john!

Smash Hero
A very bizarre belief is the belief that your belief that God does or does not exist is not a belief. Same with the belief that your political beliefs are not beliefs. These beliefs are the sign of bias and closed-mindedness, and they pervade our society.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian

If the Bible is to be considered the "absolute" word of God (as some on the boards claim it is), then shouldn't an absolute source not have any contradictions in it?
I get where your coming from.

Jesus contradicted alot of the teachings held before his time. Jesus himself was a contradiction, people were expecting the arrival of a triumphant, king like Messiah, yet Jesus came with humility and humbleness. But by changing the way people were living, Jesus' teachings didn't serve to say the teachings in the Old Testament were not taught by God.

Why would God give those teachings in the Old Testament then I hear you say? About the parts of the Bible that were highlighted, I'll admit, as a Catholic, I too find it difficult to understand how God would tell the people in the Old Testament to adopt an 'eye for an eye' ideology. I probably can't give either you or myself a satisfactory answer.

Maybe you should?
Maybe you should stop trying to be witty and just respect other people?

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Morals come from the brain's thought process dealing with emotions, in order for you to establish a moral, or stick to a moral, you have to process the emotion you feel and then act on it. Emotions come from the soul. Where the soul is or comes from is unanswerable and ultimately irrelevant. The whole concept of a soul is kind of a paradox, but i'd rather put my faith in the mystery of a paradox rather the answer to it, the universe seems very paradoxical at times. But this is just personal experience.

To be on topic with the OP, I put my faith in people and not the divine, if they do exist, they aren't the ones who need faith invested in them.

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
The thing is there is no scientific evidence that souls exist. We don't need "souls" as an explanation to why we feel empathy its just another emotion like anger and sorrow.

Also please people don't insult other people because the thread will be closed because of that and its a interesting thread.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
The thing is there is no scientific evidence that souls exist. We don't need "souls" as an explanation to why we feel empathy its just another emotion like anger and sorrow.

Also please people don't insult other people because the thread will be closed because of that and its a interesting thread.
you misunderstand my definition of soul. For me, it's just whatever let's us feel emotions. It's not an organ, not some invisible thing, and i don't claim it has any life of it's own, though that thought is definitely comforting.

DaisyBoo92

Smash Apprentice
Proverbs is probably some Christian troll. Anyways, scientology is really ****ing bizarre.

jugfingers

Smash Champion

theres no scientific explanation for a lot of things, such as why drop kicking a snowman in the face is funny.

Proverbs is probably some Christian troll. Anyways, scientology is really ****ing bizarre.
proverbs is not a troll, he is just a devoted christian, it might be bizzare logically, but its certainly not a bad thing to be.

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
Fun is subjective. Existence is either true or not.

So far I think the most bizarre belief in this thread is either the cube thing or what the OP posted.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bizarre Belief sounds a bit redundant, if you ask me. Some people think Elvis is still alive, some people think the entire universe is only a couple thousand years old. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about people like that. There is a certain prerequisite amount of rationality a person must posses in order for any kind of argument to even matter. And I fear that people are being openly encouraged to go beyond that threshold.

@BlargCow:

Be careful about the Flat Earthers. Some of them are legitimately crazy and actually believe that nonsense. But others are just trolls, who use a flat earth hypothesis to hone their trolling skills. So watch out for that if you find yourself speaking with one.

You can get a similar, yet more transparently satirical, effect from the Pastafarians. Or, believers in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
That's debatable
well of course, but I think you may be confused by

a)
crazy people who call themselves christians but do not follow the teachings of jesus

b)Political movements that use religion to promote their own agenda but whose agenda has little to do with the actual teachings of that religion.

C) catholic priests/bishops/the pope etc, who use the power of the church for their own selfish means, and who are not really good people.

by devoted christian I sort of mean someone who wishes good upon all things, and is generally altruistic , but may have very specific/bizzare views on the creation of the universe, the identity of god, the afterlife etc, but said specific/bizzare views have little negative impact on the rest of humanity.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Morals come from the brain's thought process dealing with emotions, in order for you to establish a moral, or stick to a moral, you have to process the emotion you feel and then act on it.
Do tell, since the human thought process is definitely an easily examinable topic. Since no one alive currently understands anything about what consciousness actually is (besides that it developed in the lymbic system, though that explains little), one probably shouldn't make statements like these two, holding "scientific evidence" as the gold standard of all reality.

I want to clear this up once in for all: the bible is not contradictory. The explanation for different rules for different times is even in the bible itself. When a person is a child, they think differently and are treated differently. But when they are an adult, they have matured and are capable of things like understanding hypothetical situations and following arguments for a while. God had different standards for humankind in different times because he clearly had different "Covenants" with them.

I won't let you be ignorant of this any longer. Be freed by knowledge!!
And if you don
t believe in the bible/god/anything, its not my problem, you just can't say that the bible is contradictory.

On a side note, the man who said "I know that I know nothing" also believed that happiness could only be secured in death. No one reads anything about socrates besides a page of his quotations.

I also believe the earth is about 10 billion years old. It's weird, but cosmological data doesn't support the 4.8 billion model that everyone uses as fact nowadays.

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
@ GOD!

I find it foolish to believe in things when there is no evidence behind them. I never even seen anything that seemed like a "soul" would be a reasonable explanation for its just something made up that people use to connect the dots on things that there is no evidence for yet.

GOD!

Smash Ace
In philosophy, there are things called "a priori" beliefs. These beliefs are unprovable and unknowable, yet people believe them anyway. Things like "It is possible to know reality" are a priori beliefs because they are totally unprovable, but they must be believed in order for any thinking to take place.

This just to say that, at some point, belief has to come into play, as you seem to realize. I believe what I believe because I see things and try and form a worldview from them. Apparently you do the same thing. Although I believe in souls and you don't, it is probably only the differences in our experience that cause us to believe differently. If I had seen what you have seen, I might not believe in a soul either.

I think there is evidence for a soul. We probably have different definitions for soul as well. I see the soul as the thing that gives us awareness and the concepts of good, evil, and god, things which animals lack. I just see the soul as something that turns us from reactionary creatures into rational creatures.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
I think it's pretty bizarre for people to believe in something which stipulates that people who don't believe it are tortured eternally, no matter how good or bad their actions during life may have been.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think there is evidence for a soul. We probably have different definitions for soul as well. I see the soul as the thing that gives us awareness and the concepts of good, evil, and god, things which animals lack. I just see the soul as something that turns us from reactionary creatures into rational creatures.
Well, then clearly plenty of other animal species also possess this very same soul, by this definition. We are not the only animals to have complex social systems of morality, you know. Would you say that most other primate species also have a soul? Or would you like to recalibrate your definition of "soul" into something more supernatural. (Which you were conspicuously trying to avoid)

I think it's pretty bizarre for people to believe in something which stipulates that people who don't believe it are tortured eternally, no matter how good or bad their actions during life may have been.
Yes, I've always asked people: "Why does god care if I think he exists or not?" I could conceive of a very petty and maniacal god who cares whether or not I abide by a set of rules that he gave to a group of illiterate farmers thousands of years ago. At least I can conceive of it. But then you tell me that very same person god is so callous as to torture people for all of eternity merely for not thinking that he exists? Absurd. If god cared so much about whether I thought he existed, he's doing an extraordinarily poor job of convincing me.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Funny, after a good search around, I can't find a single place that's credible to mention this in the slightest. There's a lot about how they may kill if others invade their territory, which is most likely what happened in this video with the false description that you've seen.
It was on Discovery and showed a group of chimpanzees wondering into another's territory, kill a few chimpanzees, then wonder out taking and gaining absolutly nothing in the process. It was killing for killings sake.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I swear...all of these "belief" threads are the same.

I have facts, you have faith.

I can prove my stance, you can't.

I'm obviously right, and you're undoubtedly wrong.

DROP YOUR GOD AND REROLL MY BELIEF SYSTEM!

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Wow, I thought this conversation was over and done with, hahah. And lol at Daisy telling me to commit suicide. And I'm not some troll. I'm just able to follow the dots. If the only reason we act morally is so we ourselves don't get hurt, then there if we stop caring about whether or not we get hurt, anything is permissible. That's why I said there's nothing intrinsically wrong with **** from your point of view. I don't think that, you do. I'm sorry if I'm able to connect the dots. You have an inability to admit that there must be a spiritual and divine element to morality if it's to actually mean that anything is good or bad beyond our own human desires and whims.

I've studied a little into ethics and theology, you know. I'm not just pulling this stuff out of nowhere. I'm currently studying writing, and will probably write non-fiction on subjects like these. I've also studied a good deal into the historical accuracy of the New and Old Testament, the historical facts surrounding Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, prophecy, manuscript authority--et cetera. I've also recently been looking into what proof we have for a young earth, creation, and the flood. I'm also looking at the other side of things. I'm really interested in digging into Richard Dawkins' writing. I mean, honestly, if I'm wrong I'd love to know. I can do whatever I want, because I'd know there's no life after death. If that's the case, nothing we do here means anything and we should all do as we see fit.

But as it is, I've found freedom in Christ. If that's not true, then nothing matters to me. You may think I'm crazy, but I think it's the only logical, rational approach that's free from emotional bias.

EDIT: Lol at Matador. I challenge you to study into whether or not the New Testament, particularly the Gospels, and particularly what we know about Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection--and see whether or not you think it's still unsupported. Josh McDowell was challenged to do that by his Christian friends. He was eager to completely destroy Christianity once and for all. He wrote a book called More Than a Carpenter, detailing just how supported Jesus' resurrection is, and how he was converted by what proof he found. GG.

Also, one last note: I'm not going to keep replying here for the most part. If you have direct questions and actually want answers from me as opposed to just trying to cause trouble--PM or VM me. I'd be glad to reply. But I'm not going to try to oppose twenty people at the same time. Not that I can't, it's just disorganized and no one ends up listening to anyone.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Educators are lying *******s.
-1 x -1= +1 is WRONG, it is
academic stupidity and is evil.
The educated stupid should acknowledge
the natural antipodes of+1 x +1 = +1and
-1 x -1 = -1 exist as plus and minus values
of opposite creation - depicted by opposite
sexes and opposite hemispheres. Entity is
death worship - for it cancels opposites.
ahahaha, time cube madness.

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
A soul is not something that's required for any thinking to take place there are other reasonable answers that aren't as far fetched. Like say humans actually have brains and are capable of deeper thought then the animals we are being compared to. Animals lack those things not because they lack a soul but because they lack a decent sized brain. Christian (I say christian because I see them do it most) people just try to come up with the most logical answers that don't contradict anything taught in there religion. That whole thing is ironic though because the bible has nothing logical and the answers for things is normally that god made it appear out of thin air.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
EDIT: Lol at Matador. I challenge you to study into whether or not the New Testament, particularly the Gospels, and particularly what we know about Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection--and see whether or not you think it's still unsupported. Josh McDowell was challenged to do that by his Christian friends. He was eager to completely destroy Christianity once and for all. He wrote a book called More Than a Carpenter, detailing just how supported Jesus' resurrection is, and how he was converted by what proof he found. GG.
The "I" in my post stood for those attacking the beliefs of others, not me personally. I was actually mocking both standpoints in this perpetual debate over faith. I'm actually a Christian myself, so it'd be a bit backwards to take the opposing standpoint.

But the way I figure it, if God could be proven or dis-proven, it'd defeat the purpose of having faith. And since belief hinges heavily on faith, you shouldn't feel the need to fight for proof. I think the idea itself is silly.

That's just my view from what I understand. I'm no devout Christian, nor do I constantly read the Bible. I just think that if an almighty God doesn't want to be proven, I think he'd be prudent enough to not leave any clues behind.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I thought this conversation was over and done with, hahah. And lol at Daisy telling me to commit suicide. And I'm not some troll. I'm just able to follow the dots. If the only reason we act morally is so we ourselves don't get hurt, then there if we stop caring about whether or not we get hurt, anything is permissible. That's why I said there's nothing intrinsically wrong with **** from your point of view. I don't think that, you do. I'm sorry if I'm able to connect the dots. You have an inability to admit that there must be a spiritual and divine element to morality if it's to actually mean that anything is good or bad beyond our own human desires and whims
Why would we stop caring if people get hurt?

GOD!

Smash Ace
Well, then clearly plenty of other animal species also possess this very same soul, by this definition. We are not the only animals to have complex social systems of morality, you know. Would you say that most other primate species also have a soul? Or would you like to recalibrate your definition of "soul" into something more supernatural.
You don't understand my definition then. I'll try and help you.
Some animals have moral systems, but morality does not indicate the presence of a soul.
Having an animal morality (which can be described as reciprocity) helps species survive (an argument used to support every single behavior any creature has ever shown). So I would say animals have systems of morality.

But not souls. I just see them as different things. Read this. Password is "cucumber." They aren't my views, but at least they provide a great perspective from someone knowledgeable.

Morality=/= soul.. now you understand!

EDIT: you have to download the file and then put in the password to view it.
(Which you were conspicuously trying to avoid)
Cool story bro.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't understand my definition then. I'll try and help you.
Some animals have moral systems, but morality does not indicate the presence of a soul.
Having an animal morality (which can be described as reciprocity) helps species survive (an argument used to support every single behavior any creature has ever shown). So I would say animals have systems of morality.

But not souls. I just see them as different things. Read this. Password is "cucumber." They aren't my views, but at least they provide a great perspective from someone knowledgeable.

Morality=/= soul.. now you understand!
I skimmed through that document, and read some reviews of the book it is from. And I don't see any talk about what "the soul" is. Just explanations behind social behaviors. Interesting yes. But it did little to clarify what you meant by "soul".

Would you care to elaborate further?

jugfingers

Smash Champion
I want to clear this up once in for all: the bible is not contradictory.

if you take the bible literally....it has a very abundant supply of contradictions! lol

http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical Contradictions.htm

I mean don't get me wrong I have alot of good christian friends, and I highly respect alot of christians as people, and just the way they think.

but if I believed that the bible of the word of God I think I would kill myself just for spite! lol

I hope that anyone who is a christian is simply a follower of jesus and not the bible, as im sure you will agree after reading some of these quotes.

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Burned . To. Death. yup thats what it says, just for getting groovy in the sack you get

Burned. To. Death

But if this charge is true , and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

stones, yum! what a fun way to be horribly killed.

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

lol God is such a chill dude, he's always making sure everyones relaxed on the Sabbath.

The ark of God was placed on a new cart and taken away from the house of Abinadab on the hill. Uzzah and Ahio, sons of Abinadab guided the cart, with Ahio walking before it, while David and all the Israelites made merry before the Lord with all their strength, with singing and with citharas, harps, tambourines, sistrums, and cymbals.

When they came to the threshing floor of Nodan, Uzzah reached out his hand to the ark of God to steady it, for the oxen were making it tip. But the Lord was angry with Uzzah; God struck him on that spot, and he died there before God. (2 Samuel 6:3-7 NAB)

lol wow some dude who worships god, has done nothing bad, touched the ark to steady himself becuase his oxen was stumbling or maybe tripped or something and god ****ing killed him?

like it was an accident god, Jesus! just relax dude.

Then the LORD said to me, "Even if Moses and Samuel stood before me pleading for these people, I wouldn't help them. Away with them! Get them out of my sight! And if they say to you, 'But where can we go?' tell them, 'This is what the LORD says: Those who are destined for death, to death; those who are destined for war, to war; those who are destined for famine, to famine; those who are destined for captivity, to captivity.' "I will send four kinds of destroyers against them," says the LORD. "I will send the sword to kill, the dogs to drag away, the vultures to devour, and the wild animals to finish up what is left. Because of the wicked things Manasseh son of Hezekiah, king of Judah, did in Jerusalem, I will make my people an object of horror to all the kingdoms of the earth." (Jeremiah 15:1-4
NLT)

let me just say this right now, the person speaking in this verse called LORD is not ****ing god ok? do you understand now?

"Go up, my warriors, against the land of Merathaim and against the people of Pekod. Yes, march against Babylon, the land of rebels, a land that I will judge! Pursue, kill, and completely destroy them, as I have commanded you," says the LORD. "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction". (Jeremiah 50:21-22 NLT)

it says this in the bible, Im not making this up.

Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves. (Numbers 31:7-18 NLT)

mmmm ****. **** and killing, good times....good times.

yea ok so I could go on for a long *** time with these quotes but I think that might be a little overkill, might throw some more in if some bible advocate tried to defend his holey text

GOD!

Smash Ace
I skimmed through that document, and read some reviews of the book it is from. And I don't see any talk about what "the soul" is. Just explanations behind social behaviors. Interesting yes. But it did little to clarify what you meant by "soul".

Would you care to elaborate further?
The article was all about animal morality, not about the soul.

I just see the soul as the giver of free will and a liberator from animal instincts and moral systems. I guess it is supernatural if I think about it. Its why people have desires higher than just food, water, mates, and power. It's why people go on adventures and why people train for ironmans and climb Mount Everest. Its just what makes us human I guess.

Its not a great definition I'll admit.
A whole lot of out of context garbage, riddled with intentional misunderstanding and a sense of anger at God.. how could he be so cruel?
I don't see God contradicting himself. I see God destroying people who deserved to be destroyed. I wouldn't think these people needed to be destroyed, but I'm not God, and you have to keep in mind that you are reading writings that have been translated over several languages, and written when written language was new.

I could go case by case.. but you'd just argue with me to death and not listen to a word I said.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The article was all about animal morality, not about the soul.

I just see the soul as the giver of free will and a liberator from animal instincts and moral systems. I guess it is supernatural if I think about it. Its why people have desires higher than just food, water, mates, and power. It's why people go on adventures and why people train for ironmans and climb Mount Everest. Its just what makes us human I guess.

Its not a great definition I'll admit.
Well if you're admitting it's not a good definition, then how can you say that you believe in it? I mean, how can you say you believe something exists but not even know what it is?

At the very least, you can try to concoct a reasonably coherent picture of what "the soul" is, and then claim to believe in it. But even then, it will be completely fabricated. You'll have made the whole thing up all by yourself. How can you make something up yourself off the top of your head, and then claim to think it's actually true?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You know, I really hope this thread can stay open. I'd really like to read through and spectate this debate.
To be on topic with the OP, I put my faith in people and not the divine, if they do exist, they aren't the ones who need faith invested in them.
<3
I could go case by case.. but you'd just argue with me to death and not listen to a word I said.
Seems to be the opposite from what I'm seeing.

Anyways, I grew up in a pretty unbiased environment, skewered towards christianity if anything and I can't help myself but think that the whole thing is pretty...well...bizarre.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Seems to be the opposite from what I'm seeing.
Explain yourself.
Well if you're admitting it's not a good definition, then how can you say that you believe in it? I mean, how can you say you believe something exists but not even know what it is?

At the very least, you can try to concoct a reasonably coherent picture of what "the soul" is, and then claim to believe in it. But even then, it will be completely fabricated. You'll have made the whole thing up all by yourself.
I've come up with this definition because I have read many other peoples views on the subject, have listened to people talk about the soul and the spirit, and I have my own feelings as well. I try and come up with the most accurate definition of a soul that I can.

I say its not a very good definition because "soul" means something different to different groups of people. The soul is also only a concept and is not examinable in a controlled setting.

If I was to say I was confident in my definition, that would be foolish. If you think you are very confident in anything for which there is little support, then you'd be foolish.

I'm trying to explain a perennial concept to you. Don't get knotted up that I have a hard time getting through to you.

A soul cannot be examined empirically. So yeah, there are going to be guesses. I said it wasn't a "great definition" cause I'm not gonna stake my life on something that I'm not sure of.

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't understand dimensions 5-9, but you still believe in them because smarter people than you tell you they exist. Lol..

How can you make something up yourself off the top of your head, and then claim to think it's actually true?
Set aside for lolz :):) Cause this is exactly how I came up with my definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom