• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blades of Sharpest Water - Greninja Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I figured I may as well start up a matchup thread, since all the cool newcomers have one.

Any thoughts so far as to how he's going to fair with all of these new character changes should go here.

Obviously specific matchup details will come once the games are out this summer, but we may as well set the groundwork.

In general, I get the impression from the trailer that he's a lighter fast-falling character.

I feel like Mac is going to run rampant over him on the ground, and that he's going to have to stick to the air in those matches. Otherwise a charged punch to the face may send him to his doom.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
With Mac, the shurikens could work as a tool to force him into a difficult spot. If Mac shields, grab. If Mac decides to use that air charging move, crouch up tilt or spot dodge to whatever or whatever else that would work. Or if he spot dodges, attempt to punish.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I was going to make this thread.

He probably has an amazing matchup against Bowser, and other slow characters. He can just run in circles around them, gradually doing damage while they are suffering with their inability to touch him, and then finish them off.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
With Mac, the shurikens could work as a tool to force him into a difficult spot. If Mac shields, grab. If Mac decides to use that air charging move, crouch up tilt or spot dodge to whatever or whatever else that would work. Or if he spot dodges, attempt to punish.
On that note, I'm very interested to see if Mac's super armor from his charged neutral-B can go through a charged up shuriken. Greninja has some dangerous projectile tools (The multi-hit to knock-down on Bowser looks brutal), but if he can charge through and catch Greninja on the ground, it might be problematic.

On the other hand, in terms of newcomers, Villager might have some major problems with Greninja if he does indeed have a way to teleport around, or even if he doesn't. Lloid is easy to punish, even with a Substitute, not that I think the rocket will see much use on-stage. Greninja seems to have a great deal more reach than Villager does. Greninja's u-tilt seems especially deadly, and his aerials seem superior at first glance. The biggest problem may be smart Villagers snatching the shurikens.

If only we could get a solid idea of how Greninja's up-b works. A damage component sure would be nice.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Fox was the quickest in brawl and greninja may take that away, those two would be a good matchup

Ultarix

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcus45662
I'd love to see a speed match with Greninja and Sonic. I think it was implied in the nintendo direct Sonic is getting buffed.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
I think Luigi is going to perhaps be the one to watch when playing as Greninja. Just recalling what Luigi had for a good game against fast attack characters in Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Like I keep mentioning, but it seems like Greninja is going to play like Strider. Very fast and efficient combo abilities, but weak and fragile, with tools like teleportation and projectiles being used for aiding in approaching and spacing. Basically I can see Greninja being a character that relies on mind games and comboing, with several tools that can confine the opponent into staying in the air.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
From what I can see, Greninja will be relatively quick and have great combos, but will be easy to hit and lighter than most. For my matchups, I'm assuming his Neutral Special is Water Shuriken, Side Special is the Teleport, Down Special is Substitute and Up Special is the Jets he used on the Pilotwings stage. From what I see:

Vs. Villager: Greninja's Water Shuriken is going to be relatively useless against Villager's Pocket. However, Substitute will make up for that, being able to protect him from whatever Villager throws at him. The Teleport can also protect him, and make the Tree less of an obstacle. Eventually, I see Greninja being able to use the Water Shuriken to stop Villager's Balloon Trip before he's able to use Lloid Rocket.
WINNER: GRENINJA

Vs. Mega Man: Mega Man's projectiles are not going to protect him from Greninja's quick abilities. The Teleport will make most projectiles useless, although Leaf Shield could probably be an effective tool. With a lack of close-up moves, Mega Man will have to rely on spacing to win, but will eventually lose to Greninja's aerial antics.

Vs. Rosalina & Luma: Rosalina could be a problem for Greninja. Rosalina can easily use Luma Shot to set up for a combo. Greninja can easily teleport and counter any moves Rosalina or Luma have to offer, but cannot protect against the other. Eventually, Greninja's Water Shurikens will be easily reflected by Gravitational Pull, and when going in for an attack on Rosalina, the Luma will hit him with Star Bits and an uppercut, leading to Rosalina KOing him.
WINNER: ROSALINA

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
From what I can see, Greninja will be relatively quick and have great combos, but will be easy to hit and lighter than most. For my matchups, I'm assuming his Neutral Special is Water Shuriken, Side Special is the Teleport, Down Special is Substitute and Up Special is the Jets he used on the Pilotwings stage. From what I see:

Vs. Villager: Greninja's Water Shuriken is going to be relatively useless against Villager's Pocket. However, Substitute will make up for that, being able to protect him from whatever Villager throws at him. The Teleport can also protect him, and make the Tree less of an obstacle. Eventually, I see Greninja being able to use the Water Shuriken to stop Villager's Balloon Trip before he's able to use Lloid Rocket.
I am thinking that Greninja can evade Villager's return attacks with teleport and come up behind him. Maybe he can even directional "quick attack" like Pika to evade as well. The real question for me is, can Greninja quick attack out of teleport if teleport will allow for that even in the air.

Vs. Mega Man: Mega Man's projectiles are not going to protect him from Greninja's quick abilities. The Teleport will make most projectiles useless, although Leaf Shield could probably be an effective tool. With a lack of close-up moves, Mega Man will have to rely on spacing to win, but will eventually lose to Greninja's aerial antics.
well...I can see your point, but a person who likes to spam projectiles can actually mess with Greninja players here. Seeing that most of Mega's attacks can connect with a projectile shot, I think MM can do a decent job. He may even have the ability to force Greninja off stage and try to go for a meteor. Just recalling my Smash Brawl plays where I played against Sheik players with my Zard, I could force them to change tactics and even make them get off the stage. I know we all play differently, but I feel some folks who use MM will make it a chore for Greninja.

Vs. Rosalina & Luma: Rosalina could be a problem for Greninja. Rosalina can easily use Luma Shot to set up for a combo. Greninja can easily teleport and counter any moves Rosalina or Luma have to offer, but cannot protect against the other. Eventually, Greninja's Water Shurikens will be easily reflected by Gravitational Pull, and when going in for an attack on Rosalina, the Luma will hit him with Star Bits and an uppercut, leading to Rosalina KOing him.
WINNER: ROSALINA
I believe that is a real concern there. :(:rosalina:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
well...I can see your point, but a person who likes to spam projectiles can actually mess with Greninja players here. Seeing that most of Mega's attacks can connect with a projectile shot, I think MM can do a decent job. He may even have the ability to force Greninja off stage and try to go for a meteor. Just recalling my Smash Brawl plays where I played against Sheik players with my Zard, I could force them to change tactics and even make them get off the stage. I know we all play differently, but I feel some folks who use MM will make it a chore for Greninja.
True. I'm planning on maining Mega Man, but I can see Greninja easily evading most projectiles and countering them as well. I'd say that it depends on if Mega Man spaces him well enough and gets some good hits on him with the projectiles, because I can truly see using Leaf Shield on Water Shuriken, leading into a Mega Upper, Flame Sword then Hard Knuckle. It's probably pretty even, but I gave Greninja the win because he'd basically avoid all of Mega Man's specials easily, and be quicker and more KO options.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
True. I'm planning on maining Mega Man, but I can see Greninja easily evading most projectiles and countering them as well. I'd say that it depends on if Mega Man spaces him well enough and gets some good hits on him with the projectiles, because I can truly see using Leaf Shield on Water Shuriken, leading into a Mega Upper, Flame Sword then Hard Knuckle. It's probably pretty even, but I gave Greninja the win because he'd basically avoid all of Mega Man's specials easily, and be quicker and more KO options.
MM seems to have a good back air. Connecting a few of those on a short hop and time it with a finish of the big blast shot should make quick work of a stock. MM looks pretty good to main.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
For a character that is all projectiles, Mega Man has a lot of versatility, and I could see him becoming a problem. No matter how quick Greninja is, or how effective the teleports, that Leaf Shield and the Metal Blade going in any direction make an approach from any angle problematic.

Villager is too much of a weird character for me to evaluate how that match up would go. I feel like Villager would require too much setting up and both his recoveries, while seemingly godly, seem like they could be stopped by Greninja with ease.

WFT will be a fun, even match-up from what I can tell.

Rosaluma doesn't seem that tough to me, tbh. She controls the distance of the luma and its attacks, but not its direction. Greninja seems to have plenty of ways to approach from the air to avoid Luma and close in on Rosalina for nice pounding. As far as I can tell, Rosalina lacks a good "GET OUT OF MY FACE" move since the Gravitational Pull seems to only affect items and projectiles.

Little Mac is easy. Choose Palutena's Temple and you won. If in For Glory, bait with a projectile so he goes for a Jolt Haymaker, then Substitute and combo to silliness. Greninja has an easier time avoiding and approaching Mac than he does doing the same to Greninja.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
For a character that is all projectiles, Mega Man has a lot of versatility, and I could see him becoming a problem. No matter how quick Greninja is, or how effective the teleports, that Leaf Shield and the Metal Blade going in any direction make an approach from any angle problematic.

Villager is too much of a weird character for me to evaluate how that match up would go. I feel like Villager would require too much setting up and both his recoveries, while seemingly godly, seem like they could be stopped by Greninja with ease.

WFT will be a fun, even match-up from what I can tell.

Rosaluma doesn't seem that tough to me, tbh. She controls the distance of the luma and its attacks, but not its direction. Greninja seems to have plenty of ways to approach from the air to avoid Luma and close in on Rosalina for nice pounding. As far as I can tell, Rosalina lacks a good "GET OUT OF MY FACE" move since the Gravitational Pull seems to only affect items and projectiles.

Little Mac is easy. Choose Palutena's Temple and you won. If in For Glory, bait with a projectile so he goes for a Jolt Haymaker, then Substitute and combo to silliness. Greninja has an easier time avoiding and approaching Mac than he does doing the same to Greninja.
I totally like your points. I too feel Leaf Shield will be a problem. Villager doesn't concern me for the moment.

EDIT: OH WAIT...I totally forgot...there is ONE big pain of a character from Brawl that should still be nasty in Smash 4...Peach! :( That is one floating in the air, turnip tossing, heel stomper troublemaker. Not to mention how sometimes it seemed her attacks would get "priority" over other characters' attacks at times.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Fox could make greninja not want to use projectiles and Mega man seems like a good counter. Not sure about Sonic. He seems fast enough to get around, but he doesn't seem to handle projectiles well.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Greninja vs. Rosalina: Greninja has a few attacks that can help it handle some of Rosalina's approaches, such as its up smash and up tilt. However, resorting to stealthy maneuvers may not be its best option.

If Greninja uses Substitute, Rosalina can just have the Luma take the bait, while she prepares to counter Greninja's counterattack. When done right, Rosalina can avoid Greninja's counterattack, and even punish it afterwards.

As for the attack that Greninja used on the male Wii Fit Trainer, if the Luma is the one attacking Greninja, Greninja may end up attacking the Luma instead of Rosalina, potentially leaving it vulnerable to being punished by her.

Water Shuriken may be ineffective, thanks to Gravitational Pull, but if any additional Water Shurikens are thrown, the Luma could take the blows itself if needed.

Greninja's recovery seems to be very tricky to counter, even for the Luma, so catching Greninja's helpless state may be important for Rosalina.

In the dilemma where Rosalina is recovering, Greninja could counter Rosalina's recovery with its up smash attack, and depending on its reach, the up smash may even cope with Rosalina's down aerial.

Now, there isn't enough information on Greninja's other attacks to determine how well it'll fare against Rosalina's approaches, but the matchup could slightly be in Rosalina's favor if Greninja's approach options aren't safely able to deal with Rosalina's reach, and the Luma's pressure options.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
^ If I were playing as Greninja, when Rosalina tries to recover with that move she has to spiral her up, I would jump over the side and hit her with water projectiles to see if that will push her out of alignment. That may work unless it is like Charizards super armor styled up b recovery.

EDIT: Here is an excellent video showing the moves in a slowed down manner even. Pretty informative for our discussion of this Pokemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLDHZGnhSGc

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
This is WAAAAAAAY to early guys...there's making a place holder and than there's this.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I really don't like threads like this, I speculated stuff too but I thought about it.

For one, we need one discussion thread in every character forums because everybody loves to talk about their character. You can't speculate a matchup when the game isn't in it's finished state.

Another problem is when the game will have guides and such these threads will be everywhere and somebody may be looking for matchups and find this thread, think this is the matchup and apply senseless information which has not been tested against other characters.

"Se7en, they can check the dates".

Nobody checks dates, if you really care about these boards you will stop making multiple threads about costumes or a new move or one picture.

I'm not hating on you guys or anything, but could we please not liter these boards.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Thank you for agreeing with me. I'll probably get some hate for it, but we don't need three threads about unconfirmed colors or people's opinions on what a matchup will be.

Just wait. Please.

Spirst

here is a (released this week) 3DS video of Greninja versus another fast character...Zero Suit Samus. No items and this is a 1 vs 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdb6KZeHFao
I really like Greninja's shadow sneak so far. It seems like players versing him are going to have to keep an eye out for his shadow. Seeing as how Greninja is a fast character who seems good at pressuring, that won't be easy to do.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I have currently decided to main Greninja, although I might change my mind because the game is so new.

I will write a more detailed analysis on his moves and some combos.

Some really COOL things I've discovered:

Greninja's Up-B can be used in very many creative ways. It works like Mario's FLUUD (it doesn't "hit you" so it doesn't take you out of free fall, it just pushes you). You can, for example, Up-B back and forth, I think this strategy should have a name as it will be very core to some of his offstage game. Against Little Mac specifically it's basically a free KO. You get Little Mac offstage, then you Up-B towards him and the away from him (do not do it in an angle otherwise it will raise him in the air and give him height, do it exactly against him which will push him away), it will push him and he won't be able to make it back at any percent.

Not very "new" but Greninja's Side-B has sort of "invincibility" on reappearance. You can Side-B into a Smash and it won't hurt you and you will hit your opponent back. I have been able to Side-B while next to my opponent to avoid certain attacks and hit them back (basically using it as a counter). The problem is, Greninja is still vulnerable while charging the Side-B and while disappearing so timing is everything for this.

Another thing is that Up-Air "sucks" the opponent in order to hit with all hits. If you hit with your Up-Air at a very specific range and fast fall the attack you will actually BRING your opponent with you. I've only been able to do it 3 times and they have happened randomly (since I always fast fall my aerials anyways). The cool thing about this is that Up-Air has barely no lag on land, so if you do close enough to the ground then you can link Up-Air into a ground smash (since landing will cut the Up-Air before the last hit knocks the opponent away)! I was actually able to do this one of the three times. Up-Throw -> Up-Air (fast fall and bring opponent with me to the ground) -> Up tilt (because I was so surprised I just did a random attack).

Something bad I found out: You can be hit out of your counter. A Toon Link killed me twice with F-Smash. I countered the first hit of the f-smash and the second hit hit me while Greninja was "coming in for the counter". You can control the direction Greninja comes from (I think, I am not sure) so just always make sure to come from your opponents back.

Use this information for matchups. I think the Up-B trick, once mastered will allow Greninja to dominate Little Mac.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Another thing is that Up-Air "sucks" the opponent in order to hit with all hits. If you hit with your Up-Air at a very specific range and fast fall the attack you will actually BRING your opponent with you. I've only been able to do it 3 times and they have happened randomly (since I always fast fall my aerials anyways).
This is one of what I call the "four noble ninja truths", that the U-Air can be used to drag the opponent down.
I don't believe range plays a role in the technique, and more importantly I believe all 4 of the first hits will drag the opponent down so it should be fairly simple to utilize as long as they are not getting hit by the 5th hit - this fifth and last hit has the KO potential though, so it is important to use in many situations.
Fast-falling is not necessary, but the best way I have found to successfully pull this technique off is to utilize a fast-fall immediately after using the U-Air at the pinnacle of the jump (either short or full jump). With this timing Greninja will hit the ground and cancel the attack after the 4th hitbox allowing for maximum damage.
The landing lag is actually quite considerable, IMO, so it is important to space at his toes so you have more distance between Greninja and the opponent giving Greninja a few extra frames to get through his "kip up" as he gets to his feet for a follow-up attack.
I like to call this technique "Gravity" a move from Pokémon which brings flying opponents down to the ground (although I don't think Greninja learns this, so Smackdown could work).
But what should you follow up with? Well, if you space the attack well enough you may be able to consecutive hit with an U-Tilt (Greninja used Lick. The opponent became paralyzed!) and follow-ups can happen from there depending on circumstances. Note that you will want to have the correct facing with the U-Tilt as the swinging arc of his tongue matters in if you will score a consecutive hit or not (don't want your opponent Shielding between U-Air and U-Tilt, otherwise you could be in big trouble as the U-Tilt cool-down is quite considerable on a shield).
I think the D-Tilt may be able to work as a consecutive follow-up as well, but I haven't given this a thorough test.
Like this Noble Ninja Truth? The others are just as good o__o ribbit

Use this information for matchups. I think the Up-B trick, once mastered will allow Greninja to dominate Little Mac.
It really won't be the end-all decision for that matchup, but there's plenty of potential for its use against Little Mac, mostly against his abysmal recovery. You can U-Spec (Waterfall?) off the stage away from the stage at Mac and then change direction back onto the stage to knock him away with a surprising Stage Guard. Keep in mind that if you are on the ground then you will not get that second "jaunt", only one shot forward, so I am not sure if you can do this without SDing unless you either run off the edge or jump immediately before using it (try going for a "flick jump" hand technique on the controller for this to make it easier). But if you can do this by simply going off stage no further complications would be needed to remedy (I'll test it out and see).

A note about the U-Spec: The move will fire 4 "blobs" of water out away from Greninja as he (waterfall/hydropump/hydrocannon/watersport/whatever) each of these will score damage (I think 2%?) and has "gust-like" affect on an opponent (and I think some/all items). Just remember they shoot away from Greninja as he flies the opposite direction, which is opposite the direction the opponent will be pushed - don't get confused, it could cost you a stock.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
This is one of what I call the "four noble ninja truths", that the U-Air can be used to drag the opponent down.
I don't believe range plays a role in the technique, and more importantly I believe all 4 of the first hits will drag the opponent down so it should be fairly simple to utilize as long as they are not getting hit by the 5th hit - this fifth and last hit has the KO potential though, so it is important to use in many situations.
Fast-falling is not necessary, but the best way I have found to successfully pull this technique off is to utilize a fast-fall immediately after using the U-Air at the pinnacle of the jump (either short or full jump). With this timing Greninja will hit the ground and cancel the attack after the 4th hitbox allowing for maximum damage.
The landing lag is actually quite considerable, IMO, so it is important to space at his toes so you have more distance between Greninja and the opponent giving Greninja a few extra frames to get through his "kip up" as he gets to his feet for a follow-up attack.
I like to call this technique "Gravity" a move from Pokémon which brings flying opponents down to the ground (although I don't think Greninja learns this, so Smackdown could work).
But what should you follow up with? Well, if you space the attack well enough you may be able to consecutive hit with an U-Tilt (Greninja used Lick. The opponent became paralyzed!) and follow-ups can happen from there depending on circumstances. Note that you will want to have the correct facing with the U-Tilt as the swinging arc of his tongue matters in if you will score a consecutive hit or not (don't want your opponent Shielding between U-Air and U-Tilt, otherwise you could be in big trouble as the U-Tilt cool-down is quite considerable on a shield).
I think the D-Tilt may be able to work as a consecutive follow-up as well, but I haven't given this a thorough test.
Like this Noble Ninja Truth? The others are just as good o__o ribbit

It really won't be the end-all decision for that matchup, but there's plenty of potential for its use against Little Mac, mostly against his abysmal recovery. You can U-Spec (Waterfall?) off the stage away from the stage at Mac and then change direction back onto the stage to knock him away with a surprising Stage Guard. Keep in mind that if you are on the ground then you will not get that second "jaunt", only one shot forward, so I am not sure if you can do this without SDing unless you either run off the edge or jump immediately before using it (try going for a "flick jump" hand technique on the controller for this to make it easier). But if you can do this by simply going off stage no further complications would be needed to remedy (I'll test it out and see).

A note about the U-Spec: The move will fire 4 "blobs" of water out away from Greninja as he (waterfall/hydropump/hydrocannon/watersport/whatever) each of these will score damage (I think 2%?) and has "gust-like" affect on an opponent (and I think some/all items). Just remember they shoot away from Greninja as he flies the opposite direction, which is opposite the direction the opponent will be pushed - don't get confused, it could cost you a stock.

I think the U-Air sucking should be called UAFFU(S/T) for Up-Air Fast Falled Up-(Smash/Tilt). Makes it pretty obvious what the moves does right away and how to perform it.

Also you talk about your opponent shielding. If you hit your opponent on the tip of the Up-Air while falling once you land he will be in perfect range for an Up-Smash/Up-Tilt. He won't have enough time to land and shield and even if he air dodged it lags so much that you will still be able to hit him with anything.

Gimping Little Mac with Hydro Pump (Pump Pushing? Naming pending) is pretty easy if you do exactly as you said. As I explained on my own thread you can just leave the stage with Hydro Pump and then flick the control stick back into the stage. His will make Greninja shoot water backwards and it will push Little Mac just enough that neither his Up-B or Side-B will make it back.

Basically as long as you can take Little Mac's second jump away using this Hydro Pump trick after he has no second jump is a 100% guaranteed stock.

Obviously Little Mac's will probably adapt to not using their second jump and recovering from below the stage against Greninja. But as we all know Little Mac's recovery from below the stage is incredibly ****ty and you can still push him upwards and away from the stage after he uses his second jump if you are quick enough.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The Greninja Impressions and Matchup Thread opens on October 3rd!

When the time comes, this thread shall be locked.

Last edited:

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
you forgot to close this one btw

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I find that Little Mac is going to have lots of trouble with Greninja, like others have said.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Greninja vs. Sheik seems to be 40/60 - 45/55 in Sheik's favor.

Both characters have incredibly high mobility. It's fascinating to watch them in action against each other.

Sheik has an easier pressuring game offstage, but that's really it.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
That's interesting, I observed Greninja vs Sheik to be pretty much 50/50 (and an amazing MU in action, like you said). Sheik's pressure might be better offstage but I've seen Greninja get some really early gimps with his Up B's push effect. Sheik can't hope for such early gimps since Greninja's recovery is much better than hers.

This is purely from observation, I haven't even played the full game yet so don't take anything I say too seriously haha. This MU could turn into a 3-7 in a few weeks for all I know.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
What about Mega Man? I'd like to think that those two would be well-matched.
Greninja has the advantage in the Mega Man MU.

Full-hopped Fully-charged Water Shuriken eats through MM's projectiles and the full hop lets Greninja charge it while ignoring MM's Metal Blades and approaching. Greninja is fast enough that he can chase his own Water Shuriken and get a guaranteed dash grab on MM out of the Water Shuriken if it hits or if he shields it.

MM also lacks options to deal with Greninja's N-Air approaches. Greninja's speed and jump height alone nullify MM's projectile game bar a well-aimed diagonal Metal Blade.

Also Mega Man is air juggle fodder with Hard Knuckle and Rush Coil being his only escapes from Greninja's chasing game with Up-Smash and Shield Grabs.

And Hydro Pump is fun against Rush Coil recoveries.

Not the worst MU but Greninja definitely has the tools to deal with MM's bread and butter options even without a reflector. A smart way to play MM in the MU is to focus on aerial pressure and mixups.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Greninja is an amazing character from what I've played, and has many good matchups. His only bad matchups are duck hunt and fox as far as I've seen, since he can easily avoid falco. And he can side b immediatly after the dive kick, and that has caused much, much rage.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
Greninja has the advantage in the Mega Man MU.

Full-hopped Fully-charged Water Shuriken eats through MM's projectiles and the full hop lets Greninja charge it while ignoring MM's Metal Blades and approaching. Greninja is fast enough that he can chase his own Water Shuriken and get a guaranteed dash grab on MM out of the Water Shuriken if it hits or if he shields it.

MM also lacks options to deal with Greninja's N-Air approaches. Greninja's speed and jump height alone nullify MM's projectile game bar a well-aimed diagonal Metal Blade.

Also Mega Man is air juggle fodder with Hard Knuckle and Rush Coil being his only escapes from Greninja's chasing game with Up-Smash and Shield Grabs.

And Hydro Pump is fun against Rush Coil recoveries.

Not the worst MU but Greninja definitely has the tools to deal with MM's bread and butter options even without a reflector. A smart way to play MM in the MU is to focus on aerial pressure and mixups.
Didn't think about that. Of course, I have only played the demo version, and that was just once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom