• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blog of the Week: Shadow of the Colossus is overrated.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
it is a sign that games being produced are increasingly being sold for "eye candy" over unique characterization and "attractive game play" over plausibility.
I understand the first part of that, but I'm not sure why you're surprised that game play is weighed more than plausibility. I get that maybe you would prefer more plausibility in the stories, and that's understandable, but games are, well, games. They're meant to be played. So even if a game has an amazing story, if it isn't fun to play, not very many people would play it.

If you observe how much controversy was generated over the airport stage in Call of Duty MW 2 perhaps our society isn't accustomed to accepting the fact that games can have multiple dimensions besides serving as a moral vehicle for kids who are not supposed to be playing these games in the first place.
I heard about that controversy before I played through that segment of the game. I thought that part was handled decently as far as games go, but at the same time, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a "moral vehicle." Of course, I don't actively look for those things in games, mostly because I have other means of looking at moral conflicts.

I also realize that I am not a kid, so that is bound to affect my view on games and how they fit within the bigger picture.

I don't quite understand your analogy or agree with their being a "universal foundation" for the "heroic tale" and having "cliches" be "dressing"
I meant this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

It sounds like any game that you like will become the "heroic tale" that has been "universally" accepted which simply sounds like a case of "subjective bias".
I hail from the 8 bit era. My heroes were circles and triangles, and sometimes lines.

I want novelists and not ones that are as half-***** as JK Rowling. But more along the lines of Stephen King... maybe.
Stephen King is mainstream entertainment, and he's been successful enough to have a large following. But there are a lot of different kinds of novelists out there, many of whom don't write plot-driven books. I don't think very much their work would translate well into the gaming format. I don't even know if King could write a video game story. His stuff translates into film well enough though. So, maybe someone like him who knows something about games could do it.

But I think, when writing games (or any medium), it's important to consider the medium and the format. I would say that those things have to be considered first before committing to a story. Games are not novels. Whatever story is written for it has to fit that form.

As for SotC, the reason why I thought the story was handled well enough is because there seems to be a cohesive myth and backstory behind it. I thought that I was shown enough of it that the world felt real. It's not that the story was a feeble thing; it's more that the story was already in progress when we got to the scene. It's like a self-contained chapter to a larger book. All I knew was that this guy wants to bring a dead girl back to life. He has to slay these giant moving mountains to do it. And that, in itself, is a reflection of just how badly he needs to do this. And so he does it. That's all I needed to know.

That's probably not enough to satisfy everyone, of course. But, like I said, I also have a very short attention span and no time to commit to a grandiose epic. Those are also contributing factors.

etecoon

Smash Hero
SotC is good as an art piece, it's biggest flaws are gameplay oriented, mechanically it is very flawed. although as I said, I think it gets a lot of credit for being innovative on things that ICO did first and better...

Prawn

Smash Master
I disagree with all of this.

Instead of writing a paragraph I'll just say I had an incredible time playing the game and thought it was absolutely astounding.

opinions ftw GGs

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I will make life miserable in any legal way I can for the next person who posts a SotC parody.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I will make life miserable in any legal way I can for the next person who posts a SotC parody.
I love you, and the Agros you rode in on.

Srsly tho, Marc what -have- you started?! My god, I go away for like a day and everyone's having delusions of grandeur.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I expected it to be controversial, but not to this extent. I wonder if I can ever trump this.:p

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
We'll see when you tackle FF7. Back in the day you'd have gotten flamed off the planet for even hinting it was anything but teh b35t G4M3 3V4r!!!!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Lost Levels had 2 bowsers in the same level. That was so epic the first time I played through that level. All "what? WHAT!?" haha good times.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Captain Falcon vs Wander in the current GameFAQs character battle.

Captain Falcon 71.37% 11146
Wander 28.63% 4472
TOTAL VOTES 15618

Get *****, Wander.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's hard to compare Wander and Falcon. They do two seperate things and have purposely different personalities.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I went to gamestop to ask for a copy of SotC. "Great game!" the clerk says...
<person behind me>"yeah good luck finding THAT game.. awesome game"
"actually we usually always have a copy, and Ico too *(pronounced eeko ??)"
"we have a copy in the following locations, just not here..."

So imma get it this weekend, gotta drive a bit to get it, but they have like 4 copies. :D

Kantō

Smash Champion
SoTC is one of my all time favorite games. i love how it is erie and somewhat beutiful and at the time the graphics were amazing. this game is no where near overrated, in act im hoping of a rerealese of Ico and SoTC on ps3 single disc when the last guardian is close to comming out.(like what they did with they god of war games).

also it took me months to find a copy of ico that wasnt 100 dollars on ebay. i had to travel to a gamestore about 45 min away to grab the last copy.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I went to gamestop to ask for a copy of SotC. "Great game!" the clerk says...
<person behind me>"yeah good luck finding THAT game.. awesome game"
"actually we usually always have a copy, and Ico too *(pronounced eeko ??)"
"we have a copy in the following locations, just not here..."

So imma get it this weekend, gotta drive a bit to get it, but they have like 4 copies. :D
YOUR STORE HAS ICO IN STOCK?!?!?!?!?

O_O................Can I visit?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
haha the store is in Ocean Springs, Mississippi but they networked for me and found SotC at 4 locations, one of which I'm going to this weekend, I didn't ask for Ico cause my wife's played it and says it sucked, but if I like SotC enough I may get it cause when I get into series I just have to have them all...

And yeah, I guess there's another game coming out soon which he was fairly pumped for.

But if Ico (i say eye-ko but who knew) is THAT rare, shoot, I may dig around for it and buy up all the copies and re-sell them for less than 100 bucks...

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I liked Ico more than SotC. I didn't know it was so expensive now, so I'm glad to have gotten it shortly after it came out.

Top Bottom