• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Board the platforms, why is it gone?!

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
I completely forgot this existed but now that you mention it it was pretty cool. it was more fun than the other trophy-snagging minigame that somehow took its place in Melee, and something different than break-the-targets wouldn't hurt Brawl.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
thats my exact words when i saw it wasnt in melee, and then again when i found out it wasnt in brawl. it was my favorite mode

Martial

Smash Apprentice
Well, Nintendo decided to ditch the character-specific mini-games in favour of general "levels" that can be completed with every character. Break the Targets is relatively easy to put through that transition while maintaining balance, but my guess is that Board the Platforms would drastically favour characters like Pit, Metaknight, and ROB because of their insane recovery potential. It would be very difficult to design Platform levels that would be difficult for those characters to complete, without the same levels being absolutely impossible for characters like Ivysaur (can't tether to platforms) to finish.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Well, Nintendo decided to ditch the character-specific mini-games in favour of general "levels" that can be completed with every character. Break the Targets is relatively easy to put through that transition while maintaining balance, but my guess is that Board the Platforms would drastically favour characters like Pit, Metaknight, and ROB because of their insane recovery potential. It would be very difficult to design Platform levels that would be difficult for those characters to complete, without the same levels being absolutely impossible for characters like Ivysaur (can't tether to platforms) to finish.
^This.

And I remember losing 9001 times in Jiggly's BTP back when I was young and didn't know how to solve it.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
They really needed board the platforms. We only got to see 12 BTP's on N64 and it wouldn't be so hard to come up with creative new levels even for the characters with advanced recovery abilities.

Hughalicous

Smash Apprentice
Definatly a necessary bring back for SSB4. They've got quite a list now. Also, what happened to race to the finish? individual ones of that would be cool. Individual everything is cool, adds so much more the the game. I want the old Target tests back

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Yea wtf happend to race to the finish?^^
Anyways, board that platforms was always annoying when I was young and just wanted 2 show all my friends how 'i am the best cuz i bet i'm the only guy in town whose beaten the hand before'.
Yea... It was pathetic.. haha anyways, now I miss it! Bring it back! Board the platforms has potential, and could possibly teach you knew ways to use recovery tactics...! Am I right?

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Definatly a necessary bring back for SSB4. They've got quite a list now. Also, what happened to race to the finish? individual ones of that would be cool. Individual everything is cool, adds so much more the the game. I want the old Target tests back
Yeah, they take out race to the finish once Sinic is added. Smart move, Sakurai...

Shineenigma

Smash Rookie
Also, what happened to race to the finish?
They removed the timer, made it longer and renamed it the 'Subspace Emissary'.

The Brawl developer have said that there were many things that they never got to include and that they gave up adding new concepts early in development because of time constraints. They wanted to put in all the same stuff you do, but if they had, we'd still be waiting for it to be released. Plus, it would cost even more to make, so a price increase might have been required to make it econimically viable.

If you wanted BTP or Race to the Finish to return, what would you drop in exchange?

Cors

Smash Rookie
I never really played the first Smash Bros so not aware of Board the Platforms.

However, I was extremely dissapointed in the Target Test in Brawl. I really dislike only having 5 different levels which you have to beat with every character. It makes it so tedious. As if there wasn't enough tedious ways to get trophies (Multi-Man Melee with all characters.......). I really loved having the specific targets tests in Melee. Too bad they're gone.

Though I'm glad Race to the Finish is gone. It wasn't all that much fun IMO and clearly favoured faster characters over the slower ones.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Do people not understand that Race to the Finish gave slower characters a longer amount of time to get to the end?

steel_bee

Smash Rookie
I do quite like the Brawl target tests, but I REALLY miss "Board the Platforms" and "Race to the Finish". If they had made individual BtP and a communal RttF then I would definitely have been satisfyed.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Because.
N64 had board the platforms.
Melee had race to the finish.
And Brawl has boss battles.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
SSB64 did have the best minigames didn't it?
They shoulda made individual target tests and then had the ones they have now as co-op ones....
and board the platforms was a pain in the *** when I played SSB64, and I did NOT enjoy it, but now I miss it! , same goes 4 the bumper but now I enjoy that item

Psylark

Smash Rookie
I think that Board The Platforms is the same as Target Test, really. However I like BTT much better, as there are many ways of getting faster times - projectiles, etc.

Top Bottom