• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bob-Omg Social: Count to 300 bob-ombs!

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

It was extremely nice and thoughtful of your grandparents to get him. Came with bringing him into a new and good life indeed, too.

And ah, alrighty.
And plenty of other people are hopefully doing the same.
What brought that last comment up?
Eh, nothing. I just felt like bringing it up because I brought up clowns earlier. :p

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

...I've got only one thing to say, and that is: What the ****?
Yeah, I don't get it either. Oh, there's more.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
110 Late responses

Yeah, I don't get it either. Oh, there's more.

Do I want to know what the actual gameplay of any of these games are like? Do any of us want to know?

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

Do I want to know what the actual gameplay of any of these games are like? Do any of us want to know?
The only one of these I've seen is the last one, Dudes with Attitude. It's some sort of puzzle game (I think) and it's as good as you'd expect... not very. It does have a level editor though so there's that. And guess what? More bad box art!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

The only one of these I've seen is the last one, Dudes with Attitude. It's some sort of puzzle game (I think) and it's as good as you'd expect... not very. It does have a level editor though so there's that. And guess what? More bad box art!
Curiosity may or may not get the best of me on the others.....

That'd be fine, but as you basically pointed out already, it's flaunting it's success a little bit too much....

And it is at these points that one is stepping into "Uncanny Valley" territory.

I wonder what the majority of Capcom and Mega Man's developers truly imagined him looking like in detail at the time....but it's a good thing later versions didn't turn out like either of those.

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

Curiosity may or may not get the best of me on the others.....
Beats me on the other ones.
That'd be fine, but as you basically pointed out already, it's flaunting it's success a little bit too much....
The logo for the game is smaller than the 10/10 at the top. Why.
I wonder what the majority of Capcom and Mega Man's developers truly imagined him looking like in detail at the time....but it's a good thing later versions didn't turn out like either of those.
Yeah, Mega Man box art was not good, haha. 2 and 3 also have some bad box art. 4 and 5 look better but they're still not good. And then finally 6 broke the streak with actual quality box art.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

The logo for the game is smaller than the 10/10 at the top. Why.
They wanted to make sure we could see it. :p

Yeah, Mega Man box art was not good, haha. 2 and 3 also have some bad box art. 4 and 5 look better but they're still not good. And then finally 6 broke the streak with actual quality box art.
It's not the only franchise to have suffered like that but it's definitely one of the most well known and infamous examples.

Good thing the actual quality of the game wasn't affected by all that. :p

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

They wanted to make sure we could see it. :p
I dunno, I think after the 3rd 10/10 on the box, I got the point. :p
It's not the only franchise to have suffered like that but it's definitely one of the most well known and infamous examples.

Good thing the actual quality of the game wasn't affected by all that. :p
Mega Man 1 didn't sell very well in North America and I'm sure the box art had something to do with that. Had Mega Man 2 not sold well, the series wouldn't have lasted after that.

Yup, Mega Man 1 was well received when it came out considering that it was quite different from other games at the time with being able to play the levels in any order you desired. Nowadays, the game is quite regarded for starting the series but uh... it hasn't aged well at all, haha. Neither has Mega Man 2 really but that's not exactly a popular opinion. The later games refined what the first one started and it makes it hard to go back to as a result.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
129 Mornings and late replies

Mega Man 1 didn't sell very well in North America and I'm sure the box art had something to do with that. Had Mega Man 2 not sold well, the series wouldn't have lasted after that.

Yup, Mega Man 1 was well received when it came out considering that it was quite different from other games at the time with being able to play the levels in any order you desired. Nowadays, the game is quite regarded for starting the series but uh... it hasn't aged well at all, haha. Neither has Mega Man 2 really but that's not exactly a popular opinion. The later games refined what the first one started and it makes it hard to go back to as a result.
Good thing it avoided that outcome.

I suppose it's only fair. A lot of things start out smaller or perhaps a bit rough. For it's time I'm sure it was great, considering some things you pointed out like being able to play levels in any order at your choice. It is still an older game among a franchise that's been lasting for years and only the very start of something that got a lot bigger, so it only makes sense that substantial improvements to the gameplay and formula would come along the way, as it has with most game franchises that are still going forward.

All this talk of bad box art reminds me of a Game Informer article I read comparing modern day box art to box art of older games.

I'll link it here for anyone who wants to read it.
...I don't think I've ever realized just how generic or simple modern game box art has been through the past few years until now. Geez. It'd be nice to see the box art be a bit more creative and give a better impression of what the game is like instead of just slapping a face or a person from the game (or a Sports star in the case of some of the sports game) posing on the front of it. At least some of those later modern entries on the list were more creative and can actually give a good impression of what the game holds, even if there's much less going on in them (in some cases I feel that's not a bad thing, but it's usually better than some generic or unknown character taking up the whole thing).

I was aware of how generic DOOM's cover was however (it became infamous enough to become a meme of it's own, so yeah lol)

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

Good thing it avoided that outcome.

I suppose it's only fair. A lot of things start out smaller or perhaps a bit rough. For it's time I'm sure it was great, considering some things you pointed out like being able to play levels in any order at your choice. It is still an older game among a franchise that's been lasting for years and only the very start of something that got a lot bigger, so it only makes sense that substantial improvements to the gameplay and formula would come along the way, as it has with most game franchises that are still going forward.
Yeah, it was definitely great at its time. But man, it feels so weird compared to the other games. It's also really glitchy (SEIZURE WARNING! Also, volume warning about 11 and a half minutes in.). It still aged better than Metroid 1 and Zelda 1 though.

Also, good morning~

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Yeah, it was definitely great at its time. But man, it feels so weird compared to the other games. It's also really glitchy (SEIZURE WARNING! Also, volume warning about 11 and a half minutes in.). It still aged better than Metroid 1 and Zelda 1 though.

Also, good morning~
Another trait with earlier and older games (though usually one would be deliberately trying to find such extreme glitches. I think) Admittedly though I didn't expect it to be nearly that glitchy.

I do still enjoy the first Zelda game to this day, though I will agree it hasn't aged too well. With Metroid I couldn't personally say, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

With this being a late response from me yet again, it's now about a good afternoon lol

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
136 Bob-ombs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom