• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Tricks

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
I recorded myself doing some bomb tricks quickly today... I figured it would be interesting to discuss the usefulness of doing it, if there is any =/

There are a few cool things I do, even some grapple mindgames. One which has great potential (in my opinion) is the shield dash on the edge of the stage, then hold down, bomb, and fall with your bomb which can be followed by your second jump and a spike. If timed correctly it can really do some damage (damage as in death)...

It's not a very good video... more informative than anything, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_2ghHRTNA

discuss =D

Sm_Sheba

Smash Cadet
good vid; i see some, but limited potentia for thoise moves. The meteor smash off the edge will probably work 3 or 4 times before whoever you usualy play against wises up, but it is good to force them to change their recovery strat. If you force them to get off that ledge as quick as possible, they will not have the luxury of timing their recovery and you can hit them with whatever looks right.

it would be interesting to see some of those moves in action. some of the bomb moves look like they put you in a vulnerable position

I must say you are really amazing at landing your meteor smashes, and i don't think i have ever seen you mess up a recovery off the edge of the stage.

A question.. do you use x and y to jump, or do u use the joystick? because you beautifully connect your double uair without ever accidentally doing a second jump. As for your overall play, you have excellent control; from what i can tell, you don't have any mis fortunate button accidents, probably just a couple moves that aren't what you meant to press, but do the job anyways.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I really like the last clip (bomb dropping then moving back under the platform). Looks really efficient; I normally just lay bombs on platforms the normal way so I'll have to incorporate this.

Edit: Is it cool if we call that technique "bomb drop" ?

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
I do have the tap jump off... and as long as I time my up-b out of shield perfectly it really doesn't seem to affect it much, which is the only reason i would keep tap jump on. Yah it really helps with control, like not accidentaly double jumping with an up air since i use c-stick very sparingly. I actually use c-stick only for spikes (which i guess isn't sparingly at all =) and for downsmashing out of shield, but i don't know if i recommend this technique, it ust works for me.

Rohins- Yes! If you like that name go for it =)

Sm_Sheba

Smash Cadet
wow, i cant believe how much it helps to get that jump tap thing off. i'm glad you guys said something.

do you make any other changes to the controller settings?

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Hi Tudor, I'm also interested in finding some applications of the down b (my abortive thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164235 ) and I was just wondering if you're interested you can send me an IM (sn is in my profile) and we can try stuff on wifi :] Stuff I've found mostly has to do with the bomb crouch cancel :p

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
sm sheba- i have no other controller settings changed.

Raphs182- the timing is weird i must admit, but it's kinda like you plan to run off the edge, then last second crouch and bomb...

ChromePirate- you need to hit down so that you get out of holding the edge with your grapple, then grapple instantly. You get to do it only 3 times though...

n00b- i would love to try stuff on wifi with you but it will have to be in two weeks when i'm done with finals, let me know if you are still interested then.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
1) The first bomb technique probably won't be used while your opponent is hanging from the ledge. It's way too predictable. However, I can find some uses for foes who are recovering, though the timing would be difficult to find depending on your foe's recovery distance and such factors.

2) The grapple trick is done by double tapping Z then dropping off the ledge. Repeat. Could be used for stalling or to regain ledge invincibility.

3) The grapple stall to wall jump+aerial may be flashy, but not that useful since your second jump is used in the process. It may have mindgame potential, so it's probably best used with zair or dair... maybe nair. Tudor is godly at using his nairs =)

4) Dropping a bomb off the stage, DI onto the stage, DIing off the stage. Repeat. It looks like you're dropping bombs faster, but you're really not. It may screw up vertical recoveries, but since the bomb's explosion is timed, I don't see too much potential.

5) Uhhh...? An application of crouch canceling bombs? Too slow to be effective unless you can attack before the bomb explodes so the bomb can defend you while you experience the ending lag of whatever move you used. I did notice that the bomb doesn't bounce though. I don't see much potential in this either. I also noticed the morph ball doesn't bounce. This may have some use... a pseudo crouch?

6) Same as above trick only with another bomb instead of an attack. The second bomb isn't dropped any faster and the explosions still occur on the ground.

7) Rohins calls this the bomb-drop. If he thinks it's good, it must be good. I am not one to complain. I believe this has hoards of potential. I believe the controls are to: drop a bomb and DI diagonally down.

Anyways, nice work. It's been a while since there was a good contribution to the Samus boards! :)

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Tudor: in 2 weeks sounds fine, I have my AP tests coming up as well. :]

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Good stuff Tudor I talked about some off these things with Rohins after I spent a day experimenting with bombs but I have no recording equipment so props to recording these and getting the word out to the community. Another trick I do with bombs that is easy is on Battlefiled right after the circle if you run then bomb it will propel you for then edge hog sometimes faster then running all the way to edge and using hugging. Can do on any level just need to learn spacing.

0RLY

@ Dobs1007:

It's slower than hugging. Samus has the second slowest falling speed in the game. If you want to reach that ledge faster, you need to spend less time falling. Using a bomb puts you in the air. In addition, in every case where you would want to hug the stage, your opponent would have to be recovering. There would be no point in leaving a bomb behind you as you try to reach the ledge. One rare exception: Ice Climbers.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
That's a great idea! That's awesome, i would love to practice that and incorporate it into my game, thanx dobs =)

Gum

Smash Journeyman
i really like the double bomb at the edge. Could possibly make your opponent's edge game pretty congested, especially if you follw up with something else. Might even be a good set up for a spike.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
@ Dobs1007:

It's slower than hugging. Samus has the second slowest falling speed in the game. If you want to reach that ledge faster, you need to spend less time falling. Using a bomb puts you in the air. In addition, in every case where you would want to hug the stage, your opponent would have to be recovering. There would be no point in leaving a bomb behind you as you try to reach the ledge. One rare exception: Ice Climbers.
I think you miss understood me this is why I tend not to post stuff without having videos which I can't currently. To fully explain this I was playing Rohins in a match I hit him with a forward smash sending him off the stage I ran then bombed at right about the circle thing on final destination u don't go very high from initial explosion if running and horizontal distance from bomb pushes you off stage and you land on edge difficult to explain but this technique is useful in situations.

0RLY

i really like the double bomb at the edge. Could possibly make your opponent's edge game pretty congested, especially if you follw up with something else. Might even be a good set up for a spike.
Auto-sweetspot will screw that idea over. However, it will screw up Kirby and possibly MK if he doesn't glide under the stage.

Doval

Smash Lord
Pardon me for asking something somewhat off-topic, but I'm relatively new to the Samus boards and I've been seeing references to some "cancel" for the morph ball's lag when using the bomb; something about crouching. I checked the previous pages but didn't notice any threads with relevant titles. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Very neat tricks, by the way.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Auto-sweetspot will screw that idea over. However, it will screw up Kirby and possibly MK if he doesn't glide under the stage.
Well, no because since the bombs are timed, they go off right as your opponent loses invince. frames. if they roll on, you got'em, if they jump you still do. If they stay, they get hit off.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
ummmm, hold down and dont let go, press B, then keep holding down and spam A. It should make you downtilt a lot fast than normal because you cut the lag from your bomb

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Tudor: This was actually one of the things I wanted to test out with you...
When you drop a bomb and hold both down on the control stick and down on the cstick, you will land in an instantaneous dtilt. As you've demonstrated in your vids you can also do an instantaneous dsmash..
Another thing I found is if you do a bomb, hold down and shield, and tap down twice before hitting the ground, the two taps will buffer a bomb crouch cancel into an instantaneous spotdodge (when I do it shield startup frames are not visible)

The fact that you can DI during the first bomb frames really helps make the bcc applicable because it allows for proper spacing/mindgames. I've done something like BCC spotdodgeto avoid an attack, then my opponent would spotdodge the bomb, and I would be able to punish the spotdodge with an fsmash, or something like that.

Hope that info is new to the Samus community..

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Very nice! I tried it out, looks like it has a lot of potential, especially with the DI. Good stuff =)

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
So after tinkering around some more I've found you can bomb DI backwards to bcc'd buffered roll forwards (hold shield tap down then forward) and it helped against an over-aggressive metaknight.
Oh and another thing, not really bomb related, but you can shzair then buffer a roll upon landing if you whiff by holding on to Z and then tapping left or right as well.
woooo

EDIT: if the buffered bcc roll is too hard to pull off, try holding shield then do a "QCF" or quarter-circle forward motion with the stick..

KhannKlan

Smash Cadet
A little help? Anyone?
nobody really gave you a straight answer, so the basic idea is that if you hold down when after you have laid a bomb, you will come out of bomb form almost immediately after touching the ground. You can do anything out of this, whether it be a dash, an attack, or jump, whatever you want, it's just handy to know when utilizing bombs.

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
Pardon me for asking something somewhat off-topic, but I'm relatively new to the Samus boards and I've been seeing references to some "cancel" for the morph ball's lag when using the bomb; something about crouching. I checked the previous pages but didn't notice any threads with relevant titles. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Very neat tricks, by the way.
ummmm, hold down and dont let go, press B, then keep holding down and spam A. It should make you downtilt a lot fast than normal because you cut the lag from your bomb
nobody really gave you a straight answer, so the basic idea is that if you hold down when after you have laid a bomb, you will come out of bomb form almost immediately after touching the ground. You can do anything out of this, whether it be a dash, an attack, or jump, whatever you want, it's just handy to know when utilizing bombs.
Well its already been answered, but if still want to read the original thread about it here's the link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153709

Basically you couldn't find it because RaigothDagon decided the best way to attract attention was to use super wave dash in the title. Not that I have a problem with that though since it worked, and as you can see some people have gotten good uses out of the technique.

Oh and I think Rohins was the one to clear up how to actually do it.

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
Really nice Samus, far better than mine imo. I need to work on using the shield more and doing stuff out of it. But wifi lag doesn't really help that.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
This thread has reborn my faith in Samus. I mained Samus in melee but just couldn't get on track in Brawl. Tudor and Acid really seem to have their s*** straight. I can't wait till I can go practice some of their stuff.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
^ I HAVE MORE TO COME, I SWEAR. I just don't have time to publish and record all my findings due to end of senior year fast approaching.. but I should have time in a week or two!! Stay posted!

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Nice! =)

And thanx AlAxe, hopefully if we all work together bomb will be cool again,

O btw, i've been canceling my grapple with a bomb like back in the old melee times (of course it's a lot harder though)

Also been having a lot of bomb combo's... good stuff

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
2dorrrr let's get it crackin on wifi sometime and try stuff out :p

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
Your samus was a beast when i played against you Tudor good stuff
Thanx dude! This was at play n trade right?! =)

@ n00b

ummmm i really don't know when my wifi will be set up =/ but we can discuss, plus lag might mess us up! my aim is tudabeast if you wanna talk sometime!

Top Bottom