• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boosted Pivot Grabbing with Diddy: a Comprehensive Guide and Discussion (3/29/09)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't standing grabbing him out of the tornado.
You can run away from the tornado right as it gets near and then pivotgrab it, though.

What does rpg stand for? I've got very few videos online at the moment.

edit: @greatness belowVVVV
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of this: http://www.militaryspot.com/gallery/data/511/medium/rpg.jpg

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
You can run away from the tornado right as it gets near and then pivotgrab it, though.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of this: http://www.militaryspot.com/gallery/data/511/medium/rpg.jpg
I just did it on Wi-Fi against Kadaj's MK (a standing grab out of his tornado) although that might have been because he had just activated tornado and I grabbed him a split second after, so tornado didn't have priority.

meeeeh.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Lol, read what I posted. I was saying that every character can do that stuff- that is, if you've got good timing and the awareness to do it of course.

Olimar can't even pivotgrab MK out of that stuff if he's above the ground anyways. His vertical grab range really sucks. :/ ... :3
I was saying that Olimar is easier to do it with >.>

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA

oh ok, i get it
found a video too :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGp8ckBvWX0

I just did it on Wi-Fi against Kadaj's MK (a standing grab out of his tornado) although that might have been because he had just activated tornado and I grabbed him a split second after, so tornado didn't have priority.

meeeeh.
yeah, i got that to happen too when i was trying to grab him out of "still" tornado

edit: lol at rpg, i meant rbpg

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

meeeeh.
Yeah, you can do pretty much anything to him as it's starting.

I was saying that Olimar is easier to do it with >.>
Ehh... I wouldn't say that. All the MK has to do is use the tornado above the ground and the pikmin won't reach, lol. I can still pivotgrab him if he's above the ground when I use any other character, though. It's much easier that way, imo.

I don't use Olimar very often anymore anyways. Meta Knight is where it's at now. And by "it" I mean Brawl.

Get with the times. ;)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Yeah, you can do pretty much anything to him as it's starting.
^This

I guess the Diddy boards are lagging behind, then, because whenever we talk about "We have x many ways to stop Meta Knight's tornado" Pivot Grabs and RBPGs are never mentioned. I'm adding it just so that people realize there actually is another way to stop the tornado beyond Bananas and Diddy Humps.

DanGR: RBPG is an acronym I pretty much made up; it's a combination of Reverse and BPG, and all it means is running backwards from a standing position and immediately using a BPG, such that you slide backwards while Pivot Grabbing the direction you were originally facing. Like in the case of grabbing Meta's tornado, if he starts it and you see it coming, you RBPG to retreat so to avoid being hit and then Pivot Grab him. I *want* to say it's faster than running and doing a normal Pivot Grab, but don't quote me on that :x

Player-1

Smash Legend
The best thing you can do to MK from a nado is just shield and OoS glidetoss and punish, seriously I <3 it when MK uses tornado because it's so easy to punish that way.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
^This

I guess the Diddy boards are lagging behind, then, because whenever we talk about "We have x many ways to stop Meta Knight's tornado" Pivot Grabs and RBPGs are never mentioned. I'm adding it just so that people realize there actually is another way to stop the tornado beyond Bananas and Diddy Humps.

DanGR: RBPG is an acronym I pretty much made up; it's a combination of Reverse and BPG, and all it means is running backwards from a standing position and immediately using a BPG, such that you slide backwards while Pivot Grabbing the direction you were originally facing. Like in the case of grabbing Meta's tornado, if he starts it and you see it coming, you RBPG to retreat so to avoid being hit and then Pivot Grab him. I *want* to say it's faster than running and doing a normal Pivot Grab, but don't quote me on that :x
Maybe it's just me, but if you say you're going to pivotgrab something, it's really a given that you're going to reverse it. And if the situation calls for a boosted pivotgrab, that's a given as well considering you main Diddy. Seems sort of redundant- and only confusing outsiders. But if you all understand it, then it's fine I guess. :/

To comment on your last sentence, yes you do move faster along the ground, but, no, you don't pivotgrab faster. In fact it's slower. Reason being you have to cancel the dash attack in order to boost yourself. That takes a couple frames to do.

The best thing you can do to MK from a nado is just shield and OoS glidetoss and punish, seriously I <3 it when MK uses tornado because it's so easy to punish that way.
If you shield it you take massive shield damage. If the MK goes along the ground I'd rather just pivotgrab it safely and keep my shield big enough for later pokes and other shield pressure not to get through to me. Bananas do what... 4-5% plus a grab? I think I'd trade that small amount of damage for a bigger shield, lol- especially against MK. ._.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Maybe it's just me, but if you say you're going to pivotgrab something, it's really a given that you're going to reverse it. And if the situation calls for a boosted pivotgrab, that's a given as well considering you main Diddy. Seems sort of redundant- and only confusing outsiders. But if you all understand it, then it's fine I guess. :/

To comment on your last sentence, yes you do move faster along the ground, but, no, you don't pivotgrab faster. In fact it's slower. Reason being you have to cancel the dash attack in order to boost yourself. That takes a couple frames to do.

If you shield it you take massive shield damage. If the MK goes along the ground I'd rather just pivotgrab it safely and keep my shield big enough for later pokes and other shield pressure not to get through to me. Bananas do what... 4-5% plus a grab? I think I'd trade that small amount of damage for a bigger shield, lol- especially against MK. ._.
but if you shield it and OoS GT and punish the nado then you should have enough time to get your sheild reecharged

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If the MK is anywhere below about 80% or so I would think he has enough time to get back over to Diddy to set something up.
*shrugs*
You're probably right. <_<

Top Bottom