• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request Bounty Hunt: Missing Hitboxes

Zadamanim

Smash Cadet
Almost every move in the game is modifiable with Crazy Hand. That being said, there are some that aren't.
This is a list of moves that for one reason or another don't appear in Crazy Hand, presumably because of their unique mechanics.

I'm looking to mod these moves for my Magic Melee mod, so if anyone could help me with how to mod the hitbox / frame data of these, it would be of great help. Since they don't appear in Crazy Hand, I would more specifically need the hex address of where the moves start and end in the character file.

I will update this list as I find more moves that fit in here. If anyone else notices one, reply and I'll add it. If one has been found, I'll scratch it off the list.

MewTwo
- Rapid Jab
Link
-Boomerang
-Forward Smash: Second Hit
Young Link
-Boomerang
-Forward Smash: Second Hit

Last edited:

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Hmm. I have an idea about how to find these hitboxes, at the very least.

If you run Dolphin with a “-d” in the end of your shortcut link (on win/linux, macs are another story I guess) then you can start Dolphin with a set of debugging tools that are very useful for exploring the game while it’s running.

If you know your way around some of the subaction event parsing functions, you can use breakpoints to catch any type of subaction event just before it executes. For example, address 8007121C is the start of hitbox parses. 802790c0 also parses hitboxes separately for projectiles/items.

---

If you take note of the location where the player file is instantiated in RAM at CSS, you can just subtract it from any location of subaction events being parsed by the hitbox function.

It would seem that the file data offsets for your mystery hitboxes are:

Mewtwo Rapid Jab - @4360

Link Boomerang - @4144
Link FSmash 2nd hit - @4D04

YLink Boomerang - @4320
YLink FSmash 2nd hit - @5008

If you have any trouble accessing these by subaction categories in CH, you can always use a hex editor to find the same locations.

@Ripple

Last edited:

Fug Ebin Meme

Smash Rookie
Something I did for modifying some of these mystery hitboxes (I changed a few rapid jabs) is I changed a pointer for a random move (I used jab 1, for convenience) to where the rapid jab was, so I could use CH to edit those special subactions. After I was done modding them, I would change the pointer back to what it was and test it in dolphin.

Another thing I did, for rapid jabs I only wanted to tweak the hitbox for, was just to copy the hitbox data from the rapid jab over any subaction's hitbox (after first making a copy of the hitbox I'm overwriting in a notepad file or similar), and edit it from there.

This was very useful for making tweaks to numbers, as I don't operate in base 16, and CH offers a nice UI.

Zadamanim

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help, guys!
If you know your way around some of the subaction event parsing functions...
@Ripple
Unfortunately I only know as much about programming as I need to in order to get things working, so I'll probably have to learn how to use breakpoints in the near future. For now, your help is invaluable!
Something I did for modifying some of these mystery hitboxes (I changed a few rapid jabs) is I changed a pointer for a random move (I used jab 1, for convenience) to where the rapid jab was, so I could use CH to edit those special subactions.
That seems like a great technique! I'll be sure to try this out. Thanks!

Top Bottom