• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr Campers

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
While I'm normally eager to recommend Duck Hunt to fight campers, Jr's a special case, due to the fact that his Mechakoopas and Cannonballs pierce DH's entire arsenal. While I myself ADORE fighting Jrs as DH (and vice versa), he may not be an answer for everyone. If you're curious about picking up DH for this MU, I'll refer you to this series of posts.

Even Charizard has answers to this, however unlikely it may seem. I'll refer you to this topic for details.

While I'd also be eager to recommend reflector characters, Mechakoopas pose a rather interesting trap for those who attempt to reflect it, for Jr can fearlessly Side B right on through any reflected Mechas, and if the Jr player is aware of Side B Jump Cancels, you may end up eating a lot of damage upon getting Side B Rammed into Jump Cancel juggles after reflecting a Mecha. Cannonballs usually pose no such trap if fully charged, so reflecting them is a good idea. Certain characters have reflectors that are a little trickier for Jr to deal with, such as Falco's, (Dark) Pit's, and Zelda's, due to their reflectors themselves being able to hit back, deterring reckless Side B rush-ins that the more traditional reflectors would be vulnerable to.

Energy absorbers aren't recommended too highly, for the only energy source they can absorb is the Mechakoopa, which isn't easy to catch the explosions of, due to Jr likely remaining close to the explosion as a guardian, walling you out from absorbing it. Your most likely chance at absorbing it will probably be when Jr throws the Mecha either at you or on the stage (after you push Jr away from you and that upward thrown Mecha, of course). Strangely, running over to the self-detonating Mecha and then using, oh say Lucas's Down B, doesn't seem to work. Naturally, Cannonballs blow up energy absorbing attempts for free, and since the 1.1.0 patch, the odds of getting KO'd by it have increased. Air Cannons are immune to energy absorption as well, for some reason. :confused:

As Blanc pointed out, shielding is a viable option, especially powershielding (aka Just Defend from Garou: Mark of the Wolves), because Jr has enough recovery on Cannonballs to be caught by many an approach or distance move. While Jr DOES have some recovery on sending out Mecha, it's not AS much as the Cannonball. 'Course, of the 3 Cannons, Air Cannon's the quickest starting & ending of them all.

Since you seem concerned about getting grabbed for staying in shield for too long, it'll most likely happen if Jr's nearby when you block the Mechakoopa. Jrs don't go around grabbing too often, due to how slow their grab is (it may not be Villager slow or Ganondorf short, but it's still not too good of a grab), and they can't immediately do it after Side B Jump Cancelling, so staying in your shield when Side B comes out is generally a good idea. When Side B's not happening, shielding's not AS good of an option, since he gains grabs, tilts, jab string, and Smashes for his mixups. Generally, if both Mecha & Jr are nearby, options other than shield would be more recommended.

Short Hop FAirs are among Jr's main tools in walling out folks, due to its range, priority, damage, and its auto-cancelling & clanking abilities. It's also one of his main juggling tools (he can mimic Sheik by putting opponents on the FAir Train from 70+% at the edges, all the way to the Blast Zone). While it CAN be challenged with shielding, projectiles, and specific melee attacks, some characters may not have the luxury of the latter 2 options.

As for your Falcon and ZSS (judging from the left side of your post), they're generally fast enough to get in on Jrs that are sitting back and constantly throwing out Mechakoopas & Cannonballs. If you can reach him when he's in the middle of sending out either one while you're running over there, you'll likely get in. Mechakoopas can be picked up by well-timed Dash Attacks, airdodges, & from-behind pickups, and destroyed by well-timed DTilts (tipper ZSS's, otherwise you may get tagged for it), down-angled FTilts, & Falcon Kicks. If you can choose between stealing or destroying Mecha, I'd suggest stealing it, for you'll gain either a reason for Jr to come to you, or an approach move to safely get in on Jr with. ZSS's Down B is a wonderful way to maneuver around Mecha, though if you get tagged by default Mecha, I would not trust in mashing Down B to save you from the explosion. If you try to Paralyze a Jr who's coming down from the air and there's no Mechas roaming around or being held, he may summon a Mecha to take the Paralyzer shot for him. Make sure to focus on headshots to maximize your damage & knockback, though try not to hover directly above his head for too long, otherwise he'll UAir shark you for big damage.

Being a Jr main myself, if my Duck Hunt, Charizard, Zelda, or even Ryu, among others, all get blown up by a defensive Jr, I'll personally Ditto the campy Jr and confidently drive through any opposing Mechakoopas with Side B. I'd also use Side B Jump Cancels as a 3rd jump to avoid Cannonballs & Mechas whenever necessary. Any openings I find at 20+% will likely be met with a Side B Ram xx Jump Cancelled UAir x1-2+ sharking string (xx denotes cancelling the Side B Ram by IMMEDIATELY inputting Jump & then IMMEDIATELY inputting UAir). Clanking Cannonballs with Tilts & aerials is a neat option, though it is a risky one. Said option IS available for both Falcon & ZSS as well, through they don't have the lingering disjoints of Jr himself for it to be very safe.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Bowser Jr can't camp. Just learn how to approach while shielding.

EDIT: You play ZSS? You know you can outcamp jr, right? Not to mention you have a million options to punish him when he tries to use cannonball or deploy the mechakoopa. Dropping mk in that mu is unsafe 99% of the time.

IDK, should be a free win for you.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
A jr thats is defensive of him (SH Fairs, positioning with MK and his other tools) are harder to defeat than a camping Jr thats using only MK and Cannonball, much harder!

Last edited:

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Lol noob, bowser jr has laggy projectiles. Use a reflector, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Lol noob, bowser jr has laggy projectiles. Use a reflector, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out
Using a reflector to hit his mechakoopa will get you killed. If you reflect mechakoopa he can drive right through it.

If you're going to be a jerk at least be right.

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Setup a tent and a fire with some marshmallows. If you can't beat them, join em.

Or.... Actually approach jr and punish his reaction. It's not like he has Mario's frame data or something...

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Using a reflector to hit his mechakoopa will get you killed. If you reflect mechakoopa he can drive right through it.

If you're going to be a jerk at least be right.
Yeah because the mechakoopa instantly kills you. Do you know mario is a good matchup for jr? He can reflect anything jr gives him, even the cart dash, even a casual should know this.
He also said "campers". Don't think a bowser jr camper/spammer is going to use cart dash alot maybe to run away

Last edited:

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Yeah because the mechakoopa instantly kills you. Do you know mario is a good matchup for jr? He can reflect anything jr gives him, even the cart dash, even a casual should know this.
He also said "campers". Don't think a bowser jr camper/spammer is going to use cart dash alot maybe to run away
wait one second, do you go to tournaments? have you played a fox or falco that spams reflector and gets punished every single time?

Last edited by a moderator:

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
wait one second, do you go to tournaments ****ing casual? have you played a fox or falco that spams reflector and gets punished every single ****ing time? shut the **** up before you talk about **** you dont know about
you don't have to be a tournament player to know this. You need common sense. There's a difference between casual and noob. The OP also said "campers". How is someone camping going to punish you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Na I've never actually played this character. Thanks for the tips! ;)

Top Bottom