• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Matchup Discussion

wangston

Smash Lord
Look out for up B out of shield. It hurts. Also don't stay close to his sheild he can do nasty things out of his grab release.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
-Dont underestimate him just because hes big and slow, his tilts and aerials are just as fast as snake's.

-Hes big, so nair and dair are easier to hit with.

-His utilt has just about as much killing power and priority as snake's

-Something I think most people dont know (most newbies anyway) is that if bowser klaws you and attempts to suicide, you can control the direction he goes in, so typically, you want to hold the control stick towards the stage. This only works if his % is higher than yours though. (Maybe this is common knowledge, I dont know? but I figured it was worth mentioning...)

-Dont camp. This doesnt mean you shouldnt use nades, just dont camp. Snake's attacks out prioritize most of bowser's attacks and they also they more range (ftilt, uptilt, 3rd hit of jab sequence, dtilt to mention a few). Also, you dont want to be above bowser for obvious reasons...

-The obligatory "space with ftilt, camp with nades"... :p

If anyone thinks any of the information is incorrect feel free to correct me and flame me, as long as you have a valid argument. Im sure someone who actually plays bowser has better advice to give, these were just some general tips.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Well the only thing I can say about this matchup is:

-Bowser will punish with Up-B OOS most of the time.
-His flame breath can mess up Snake's camping a bit.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
One thing bowser can do to gimp snake is when snake is recovering with his camera thing or whatever it is bowser can side-b him and a funny thing occurs. Bowser flips up and gets hit with the camera and since no actual harm or damage was done to snake snake will actually fall to his doom unless he uses that c4 blowy upy thing. Watch out for that!!! But overall, i think snake has an advantage in this match:(
Also, flame breath can pose a problem especially if your back is towards the edge.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
The thing about that is most of the time you instantly get hit by the cypher when you side B him, so you won't drag him up in the air. He must C4 immediately to survive, but if he does he will just FF to his death.

It's really hard to catch a Snake with this though, they always recover so high.

Anyways, don't attack his shield, you'll get hurt. Don't pressure his shield with anything but long ranged projectiles.

He has an infinite CG on you! Don't get grabbed.

Basically, pester him with nades and just use your superior range/tilt speed to destroy him. It shouldn't be that hard. Nair is pretty good here too. Don't nade shield though, he will just grab you even if he is approaching from the air(side B is an air grab), or he could space flamethrower to blow up your nade, effectively weakening your shield so that it is poked by the flames and you take damage.

If you are being burned by the flamethrower and you are right next to him you can pull a nade out to blow both of you up.

He is more maneuverable than you, don't let his size and weight fool you. His air game is better than yours, and he's generally faster than you movement-wise.

Don't camp, damage him with long range nades and F tilt all day, go U tilt for the kill at what..120? idk the number. Nair won't kill as well because it guarantees good DI. Do your usual stage control with your explosives.

I'd say 6-4 snake(honestly), but if you do it right it shouldn't be that bad.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
What infinite chaingrab is that? I know bowser can do a bunch of crazy release grab stuff, but I've never seen/heard of an infinite on snake...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
-Dont underestimate him just because hes big and slow, his tilts and aerials are just as fast as snake's.
Wait...

because hes big and slow
o_o

big and slow
o_O

O_o

O_O

>_<

In all seriousness? SNAKE calls Bowser slow? A character who has higher mobility both on ground and in the air and whose A moves have pretty much the same speed as Snake's?

God... Bowser is not slow. Definitely not in comparison to Snake.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
What infinite chaingrab is that? I know bowser can do a bunch of crazy release grab stuff, but I've never seen/heard of an infinite on snake...
Bowser can chaingrab snake across the stage, but its not an infinite, it just takes you across the stage like DDD but it does far less damage :/

MrEh

Smash Hero
Bowser has no infinite on Snake. He does have several grab release options though, like Klaws or Fairs. Bowser can chaingrab Snake though, but it's not an infinite.

EDIT: Vex beat me to it.

Fire destroys big characters like Snake, but there are things you can do to get around it. The obvious thing to do is to DI out of the fire as soon as possible. If you're feeling ballsy, you can SDI into the fire and Bair Bowser. You need to do this quickly though, otherwise the damage tradeoff won't be worth it.

Watch out for infinite jumping too. Bowser's Klaw has 3 frames of landing lag, meaning that it can cancel into nearly anything. If you shield, you get grabbed. If you spot dodge, you get hit by a followup attack. In short, infinite jumping can give Bowser more options to approach, and you need to be wary of it. (Especially since Snake is so tall. It makes grabbing him with an aerial Klaw easier)

And as you know, you shouldn't attack Bowser's shield without good spacing. You'll be hit by an OoS Fortress otherwise. Since it has invincibility frames, it cuts though a lot of things.

And watch out for his Utilt. That thing is a killer. ^^

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
In all seriousness? SNAKE calls Bowser slow? A character who has higher mobility both on ground and in the air and whose A moves have pretty much the same speed as Snake's?

God... Bowser is not slow. Definitely not in comparison to Snake.
LOL but bowser IS slow, just like snake... Did I say snake was fast? I dont think so... Fast characters are pikachu, metaknight, diddy, falco, etc etc. Bowser is slow, period. He does have some faster attacks, just like snake but that doesnt, in any way, make him a fast character >_>

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Nobody said that Bowser is fast, just that he isn't slow. They are completely different things.

Bowser runs faster than Falco anyways :p He also has a faster air speed than all the characters you listed, for what it's worth (ie. not much)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Spadefox are you kidding me? Bowser's slow as ****. Snake is way faster. Bowser's tilts are mad slow compared to Snake's.

Also, Snake beats Bowser horribly.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
Nobody said that Bowser is fast, just that he isn't slow. They are completely different things.
Yup you're right, I misunderstood what he said.

Anyway, let's just discuss the matchup, that's what this thread is for and discussing which character is faster won't take us anywhere. >_>

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Spadefox are you kidding me? Bowser's slow as ****. Snake is way faster. Bowser's tilts are mad slow compared to Snake's.

Also, Snake beats Bowser horribly.
At least back up your claims with facts (accurate facts at that please)....

The truth is bowser is the 8th fastest char in the ai- actually, just read this thread (go to the "bowser isn't slow section)

LOL but bowser IS slow, just like snake... Did I say snake was fast? I dont think so... Fast characters are pikachu, metaknight, diddy, falco, etc etc. Bowser is slow, period. He does have some faster attacks, just like snake but that doesnt, in any way, make him a fast character >_>
This is about the snake vs bowser matchup, right? Even if MK, diddy, falco (only in the air) are fast that has nothing to do with the matchup (...and no one said anything about him being fast).

The fact is, that bowser is faster then snake in the air and on the ground.

-:bowser:Bowser King

B!squick

Smash Master
Thank you bowser king, but you forgot the link. XD

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222754

And thank you other fellow Bowser mains. I was foaming at the mouth at one point, but you guys got it covered.

Anyway, DACUS aside, Bowser is faster than Snake on the ground as well as the air. There's not really much I can add here though. Nade camping just wont work. At all. Klaw is awesome. Fortress is awesome. His grab game is awesome. Snake should already know what to do though. Find the stage with the most platforms and have at, since Bowser is probably hurt the most by C4 and Claymores on said platforms. Basically Bowser will be crossing his fingers that Final D. is the Neutral. :)

MrEh

Smash Hero
Well, Snake can still camp with nades to force an approach. That's what it should be used for anyway.

Take Bowser to Battlefield and use those platforms to your advantage. Watch out for FD, Bowser does better against Snake there.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Umm after you guys quit debating can the snake boards contribute to my thread, the title was erased and the title says camping something it is really important to get your opinion on what I have in the thread I think it can help snakes metagame

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Why would you post that in here? If anywhere, you should have posted it in the Q&A thread to get people's attention. This is a matchup discussion...

Also, let's get over the fact that Bowser is not as slow as most people's first impression of him and get on with the actual discussion of the matchup please. Thanks :)

nevershootme

Smash Master
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents on this matchup. Bowser is a character you can't just accept as an easy win for snake. a fellow bowser player (who goes to the same school as me and the others) beat 3 tourney level snakes in Florida. all of them usually placing high, most notably he beat HRnut (In pools, yet HRnut did not make it out) and Lambchops (whom he beat in winners and losers brackets in his tourney debut).

from my personal experience from playing him regularly.

-Grab release jabs work alot. grab release -> d-tilt is deadly too

-Well timed flamethrower should enough to halt an uncooked grenade. but you can toss it to his head and you'll get that 4% tap before it blows up. as someone else mentioned, you can just attempt to SDI the flame to b-air for the tradeoff

-up-tilt is a killer, like DDD powered.

-He can side-b cypher

-d-smash you can SDI to escape like pika and rob

- up-b is a good damage racker

-Snake's air game is a bit weak yet bowser does well in the air vs him

- if i recall, jab -> down-b is works like how yoshi does it. and that's a killer move too.

Basically you can alternate whatever style you want (weather agressive or camping) when facing bowser, but keep in mind of his sheer power to take you down to even the game. just be careful what you do in battle and watch for signs. but take advantage of platforms to abuse your explosive game

CouRt

Smash Cadet
bowser sucks. jesiahteg rules.
all of you are nerds and dont know how to take a joke.
please make fun of me. it will only add to the fact that you can't take a little nerd joke.

B!squick

Smash Master
bowser sucks. jesiahteg rules.
all of you are nerds and dont know how to take a joke.
please make fun of me. it will only add to the fact that you can't take a little nerd joke.
I can't make fun of you. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. D:

napZzz

Smash Hero
you people need to look past the obvious, if snake KNOWS the match-up its really not that bad. Bowser is just an underused character with weird tricks you should learn and get past lol

Top Bottom