• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser should be played more grounded in brawl

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
just sayin, you guys have to be creative. so far i've noticed obviously his ftilt is a more steady approach but his jabs are the real tool, they have very little lag, come out quick, and have a lot of range.

dtilt ftilt jabs... he has a lot of good range quick low(ish) lag ground moves to use as approach and a bit defensively.

his klaw is good for something like this and also his grabs...

basically ground stuff where it at.

discuss ground stuff lol

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
FTILT. OMG FTILT. Lol, gimpy is right. running around fairing people is no longer any good. Start on the ground. Boozer has obnoxious range in this game, and it needs to be exploited at all costs. He has some of the best jabs, period. Oh man i love the new boozer lol

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I concur. Most of Bowsers aerial attacks have inconvenient timing to be used as an useful approach, but because of the new shield system, it is very understandable to be using ground based moves an approach with most characters. IMO Klaw would be good as well with down tilt because of its dual strike not the mention its range. The first strike can shrink the shield, letting the second one deal the knockback allowing you to lead into something else.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
........................................|\.............../\,..,,,...-''''--,..,,
........................................|..\...........,|...|,..\..''~''-,,-''.,-''''''-,,-'|''-,
........................................|..|'\.........|,__,|...\..../.....|.'''-,...'-|....\'|
.............................|'-,......,'---|..'-,~~~'-----/'¯'|_\,|,....,|,../|..../......|
..............................|..'-,--''.¯¯|,_,,'-,......./..,-'/\.'-,,¯¯,,-''''',<''-^-,,,-'*\
.........................\¯'''''~--|,_....'~---~'...,,--'...|..¯.|'...¯¯.....-''~---,,.\...|
.......................-,--\___,,/./.....,,---~'''¯....,,-|..,,.|,-~---,,......((o) \,|,-'.,,----,
.........................'-,/---~~''.,-~''/\--,,--~-,-'''...|..'-'.||.........''~---,;;;;;---|'''''.....,,\
....................-;;''¯/''/...,-~''',--''.'~'../\'''-,..'-,...|.....||.....,~-,,-.....`-......`,.....'''''-|
.....................,¯'';,-~''''''''¯¯¯¯¯~~-,''.,--\,..|...|.,-,.\-...-|-''.<\,...............,...,,-'
.....................'''--,/''.|-,'''¯/\¯¯''-,-|......\.'~''.|/.....\''''...|....|--_,;'-,--,,,,,,,,__,|-''
.......................''/''¯¯¯'''\,--,|....|¯...¯\>.|/
........................<|./~-,,/\....\_,,,|,,--\'''''''''''''''~~--\\/.|....\,,/,|,,|>
........,-,...,..........,--\,-'',...\'''''/.....,\...|¯¯''''''~~--,,'''''|,_......._,/;-|,
........\..''-/.|-,,/'\../.........''''~|/'-,....'-,|/¯¯¯''''''~~--,,,/''''''''¯'''''''¯|,o,o/\
..........\..'''...'-,,,'|...............\,,|,-~-,/¯¯''''''''~~--,,-'..........,-''''/''''',...,\
............¯''''~|'¯¯............,,-'.\.''-~'''¯''''~~--,,--'''|...........,/\,_\.<',,-'-,'''\
............_,,,/'-,,___,,-'''''¯'''~~~------~~~'''''.....,|,-'''''''''''''''''''-,,--,.........\/
.........,-'-,..,-~-,.....,-'-,-............................/......(¯'\......./'''~,--,
.........|,-''~-,\,/,,,-~-'-,,|............................'\,,,,,,_,\,|,,,,-,,'--,..\-,\
...................................................................................¯'

booser approves <_<

Seriously though, jab is really good. almost too good. I never use d-smash, can anyone say whether it's actually useful in this game? I know his d-tilt is better, but because of his up-air/up-smash, I rarely use d-smash

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Bowser does have such great range. His Jab is good so i use it sometimes. His F-tilt is one of my mostly used moves, same with D-tilt.
It's funny sometimes since i use Bowser's crawling then D-tilt when the opponent gets near.
Bowser's range is simply a great influence to him, it's amazing.

Like I said before in my Thread, Welcome back Gimpy.

Kahazul

Smash Rookie
I seriously underestimated Bowser's f-tilt and jabs until I spent a couple of days playing as DeDeDe, learned to love his, and carried the habit back over to Bowser... it's helped a lot.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
yea, basically.
my bowser mainly grounded tho. His d-tilt is mad strong now. I find the repeated 1st jab useful to trick ppl. also if an opponent is coming from the air, do a downsmash, even if they dodge the initial hit, a 2nd hit at the end of the attack will hit the opponent.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
This is actually really useful for me, I got the game yesterday (imports) and so far I've ben trying to aerial like crazy as bowser, which has gotten me killed, a lot.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I found after first playing the game that without L-Cancel I quickly had to change my strategy. The only problem I had with staying on the ground is dodging projectiles is a problem. I found a way of fixing this problem by using the airdodge to immediately land on the ground safely after jumping around projectiles. Immediately after landing the airdodge you can attack which is useful for airdodge to up-b and airdodge to ftilt or dtilt. His ground moves are great (and were great in Melee) and are now becoming more and more apart of my strategy. I still prefer to up-b out of the shield when an opponent is attacking me from the air over using a dsmash.

PlayaFritz

Smash Apprentice
I agree as well. All of bowser's arials are terribly slow without L-canceling.(Not that they where much faster with it xD) The only 2 arials I even find myself using are U-air, and Fair. I think the ground approach is very useful, but it is occasionally hard against some of the campier characters. If there aren't any platforms, then thats when things get tough on the ground. When this happens I use bowser's third claw jump trick, which I find is very useful to get to the campers. Otherwise, I agree ground is def. the way to approach.

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
I kinda already played Bowser grounded but thanks. Here's something for you: Whenever there's some kind of wall (Shadow Moses is such a stage), his forward tilt and down tilt can bounce your enemy back and forth between you and the wall if you have the right distance, and they can only escape at good percentages.

Something else: Someone approaching you such as fox or Sonic, use your dtilt, it's fast, has two hit boxes and has good range, his forward tilt is better for picking on your enemy's attack lags or when they are descending from the air before/from your back.

Forward dairing IS useful people, use your memontum to bring your down air forward. This is great to approach many players, specially blaster spamming Wolfs.

Just some tips I got while playing with him, hope it helps.

Altheman1

Smash Rookie
I think that the thing that bothers me most is the landing lag even when you are not attacking. If you miss the fast fall into the platform, you get some lag when you crouch instead of pass through the platform.

Also one of the things that bowser is weak in is getting onto the ground. Since he is slow, he can be guarded under the platform of whatever. So of course, bowser is much better on the ground.

---

The range I am having trouble with is like when the opponent is just out of the range of the f-tilt. It is hard to approach because the fox trot pushes you up too much. Also bowser's f-air misses the shorter characters in general and does not come out fast enough.

I get a lot of opponents who will step back and shoot projectiles. Especially if there is a platform or something, it is hard to jump over the projectile but not get caught by the platform. Any thoughts? I feel like the air dodge causes too much lag to be useful to do sort of a triangle-jump thing.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Talking about opponents being out of f-tilt range, it's like you've forgotten that he has his neutral b.

Gojira

Smash Lord
I kinda already played Bowser grounded but thanks. Here's something for you: Whenever there's some kind of wall (Shadow Moses is such a stage), his forward tilt and down tilt can bounce your enemy back and forth between you and the wall if you have the right distance, and they can only escape at good percentages.
They can simply tech =/

BUT, you can F-tilt them right after they tech since the F-tilt has a small duration to it. =D.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Bowser's Fair comes out plenty fast enough <_<
Amen Brother! :laugh:

TBH, I think bowser should be played more "forward" in Brawl. F-tilt, F-air, F-B, Famsh... Good stuff all around.

And man, I love the new Fsmash's range...

And you'd be surprised how many people get caught up by something because instead of going after them, you meet them halfway and proceed from there. Like I'd jump to do an aerial, and someone would think I was going all the way out to hit them, but I only go 75% of the distance to them and just Fair.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Gimpy, I must disagree.

While f-tilt and taps are beast, I think bowser should be all about his claw cancel.
1. Claw is amazing when grabbed. (Bowsercide and kills at moderate percents and can be chain grabbed when complemented by bad DI)
2. Claw cancel eliminates all lag (Negative lag)

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
the new bowser ground combat realy complimented my fighting style with bowser. I mainly used him on the ground to begin with, so this only made me even better with him.(or made him better for me, one of the two) in any case, I am glad his ground moves are worth useing, he always seemed like a character who was meant to be used on the ground, what with being the heaviest and all.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Gimpy, I must disagree.

While f-tilt and taps are beast, I think bowser should be all about his claw cancel.
1. Claw is amazing when grabbed. (Bowsercide and kills at moderate percents and can be chain grabbed when complemented by bad DI)
2. Claw cancel eliminates all lag (Negative lag)

Just no.. that doesn't do anything helpful really.

You have to land eventually.

Klaw Cancels are for looking flashy basically

I mean i've tried advancing some sort of metagame using it, but nothing is really effective as much as just spacing.

Danon

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone is drastically underestimating the power of Bowser's Upair. You can catch a recovering opponent off guard and it KOs at low percentages.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Bowser's fair doesn't seem to have as big a hitbox as last game, at least to me. .__. so I keep it on the ground, with ftilts and jabs and the occasional bowsercide.

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
My boozer is very grounded, but I tend not to use Dtilt at all. Ftilt and Dodging with Fsmash (thankyou Captain Falcon) I've gotten good at, but I really oughta start usin Dtilt on my Boozer, among other characters.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
I am a proponent of staying airborne.

Statistically, Bowser is at a better posture when in the air. When an air collision happens, there is very little rolling or comboing. One player simply smacks the other, and these kinds of exchanges easily go in Big B's favor.

Bowser's ground game is BETTER in some ways. And his air game has a serious added weakness: The Up+B from the air now has a much worse recovery.

But he still has all the tools to make a GREAT air game:

1. Lightning air attack. F+Air.
2. The ability to turn his whole body into an attack, to counter suprises. N+Air.
3. The ability to stop / alter his momentum in air, Down+B
4. The ability to grab a blocker as you come in from the air (exclusive) Fwd+B
5. The ability to douse a foe who plans to counterattack you from the ground, Neu+B

In addition. Flame is more aimable and comes out MUCH faster and flies farther.
Fwd+B has better speed and much better recover.
And U+Air is no longer ******** to time.

Bowser's air game improved.

Sliq

Smash Master
WTF? Short hop fair auto cancels. Just approach with that and land with tilts or a jab.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
Bowser is definitely a ground fighter. I tried using Bowser like the melee Bowser when I first played Brawl. Now, I only take things to the air if I have to.

As far as Claw-Hopping goes (Claw Cancelling as you guys call it on this board), I've found a use for it only by just getting around platforms and fooling my opponent every now and then, but it can't be done constantly. It has it's uses, but not nearly enough to justify using it as part of a main strategy.

Top Bottom