• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Super Armor

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I've seen super armor for the Down+b documented, but I haven't seen any note on what seems to be a single frame in which Bowser is impervious to flinching during his side+b. I don't mean to double post if there's already info on this, and as I'm not much of a frequent to the Bowser boards I can't say whether or not this has already been discussed (in all likelihood it has, a search told me otherwise though), but yeah, go easy on me.

So yes, the side+b seems to have an invincibility frame RIGHT when you grab them, so if they connect the hit in what seems to be the same frame that you grab, you'll take damage, but you'll continue to perform the grab.

As obvious as this is, I just thought I'd mention it.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I've seen super armor for the Down+b documented, but I haven't seen any note on what seems to be a single frame in which Bowser is impervious to flinching during his side+b. I don't mean to double post if there's already info on this, and as I'm not much of a frequent to the Bowser boards I can't say whether or not this has already been discussed (in all likelihood it has, a search told me otherwise though), but yeah, go easy on me.

So yes, the side+b seems to have an invincibility frame RIGHT when you grab them, so if they connect the hit in what seems to be the same frame that you grab, you'll take damage, but you'll continue to perform the grab.

As obvious as this is, I just thought I'd mention it.
Nice to know that side+b works like a normal z/r+a grab, but I don't think he has super armor frames during the duration of his side+b if it doesn't "hit" anyone.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Oh, yeah, I meant when it actually connects. If you whiff then obviously you're wide open, but in what would be a "clash-cancel" situation or a frame-to-frame priority battle, Bowser will take the hit and complete the grab. Just at that moment though.

Thulius

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thulius
Doesn't like, every single grab in the game work this way? I know Lucario's side-B does as well as normal grabs. Wario's bite, kirby/dedede's inhale...I just assumed every grab type attack worked the same way.

Wombat-Slayer

Smash Cadet
I see the super armor thing

But a few problems I have:

1: why bowsers side+b causes sudden death in a stock battle
2: why when I'm close to the ledge and connect with side+b, then mash control stick towards the outside of the stage, bowser simply flies backwards (the opposite direction I commanded). It only happens when I'm close to the edge and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :[

EDIT: I've discovered tilting control stick "up" directs the attack out from the edge successfully

Still sad about number 1

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
novalombardia said:
]-All grabs, including Ganondorf's Side-B, Wario's Neutral-B, and Bowser's Side-B, do NOT have SA frames. Simply put, grabs trade hits with regular attacks. If you miss a grab and get hit on the same frame it would initially grab on, you will get knocked back.

-Video proof by Magus420; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeuXNw5P3G4

-"I don't think I'd really call it true super armor, but when a grab connects, it has the same effect as super armor for that one frame. In other words, I can grab someone and get hit from behind (the person I grabbed was not even attacking), but my character does not flinch if the hit connects on the same frame as the grab connects. I believe this mechanic was implemented to prevent freezing glitches or other strange effects." ---by 3GOD

Video proof: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3BAcZLy353o ---by 3GOD
I believe this is what you are looking for. Please consult the Super Armor List for any questions or new sightings of SA. This is not new at all btw.

Here's the link, from the Tactical Boards, http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163775

Krabs

Smash Rookie
I see the super armor thing

1: why bowsers side+b causes sudden death in a stock battle
2: why when I'm close to the ledge and connect with side+b, then mash control stick towards the outside of the stage, bowser simply flies backwards (the opposite direction I commanded). It only happens when I'm close to the edge and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :[

It doesn't always sudden death for me even if we are booth on one stock of three. I'm not sure what determines it though but more often than not Bowser wins over sudden death when I play.

Also I'm not sure about Bowser's over B but I think your opponent has some DI over where bowser goes. Cause a few times bowser didn't go where I wanted him to so I asked the friend I was playing with to let me do it again and try to DI towards the stage. It appeared to have influence but we didn't test it thoroughly.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
According to the SA thread, Bowser doesn't have any super armor, which, IMHO, is a good reason I'd like to slap Sakurai around a little.

I try not to be angsty about it, but when the HIS heavyweight (Dedede) can chaingrab Bowser to a free kill, has SA on his up+B and Miyamoto's heavyweight, the heaviest in the game wearing a big, spiked armored shell, doesn't have a single frame of SA in his entire moveset, it makes it hard to suggest that Sakurai wasn't playing favorites.

Sigh...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Ok, I have another one...

Why does Squirtle have SA when he's in his shell for his smash attack yet Bowser doesn't get SA for any of the attacks which cause him to duck into his shell? Explain THAT one to me...

I figure Bowser's nair would've been a perfect move for SA: not too overpowering, but ideal for certain inescapable situations.

Top Bottom