• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

bowser tech chase

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Something I discovered to bump up Bowser's overall game. This makes his throws a lot more intresting...

Procedure:
1. Get a grab on your opponent (shield grabbing is the most effiecient way).
2. Hit a bit to make sure you get the most damage.
3. D-Throw.
4. Dash as fast as you can and shield (your opponent will be on the ground and usually, will do a get-up attack)
5. After your opponent gets up, your shield should be waiting to grab them again.

And repeat.
Tech chasing is a great step-up for Bowser. I excpect to see this a lot, as you can get some SERIOUS damage with this and shut-down your opponent.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~t? Booza for god tier mofos.

If you can chase characters to the end of the stage and then CG him back again and fair finish him over the edge....it's oveer 9000!!!

Vids please, want to c how it works

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~t? Booza for god tier mofos.

If you can chase characters to the end of the stage and then CG him back again and fair finish him over the edge....it's oveer 9000!!!

Vids please, want to c how it works
Vegita! What does the scouter say about his power level!?!?!

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Quite a few characters can do this, It's pretty handy if you read their get-up attack but nothing major. Most of the time it's better to just grab release into something.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Or Uthrow with set knockback (doesn't even kill at 999%), and tech chase your opponent in the air.

They cannot DI behind you, so that leaves 3 options:

Attempt to DI behind you only to land right above you - easy uair (possible uair bair) to fair
Attempt to not DI (lolwut) only to land slightly in front of you - easy fair/klaw
Attempt to DI away from you - Run forward, shield, and wait for them to land for OoS usmash/up-B

Air tech chasing is 10x more epic then ground tech chasing.

SuSa

Technically that's not tech chasing at all >_>
Tech Chasing is the act of placing someone in a position that limits their options, then predicting or reading an opponent and punishing them for it.

The fact you are PUTTING THEM INTO A POSITION THAT LIMITS THEIR OPTIONS (they are in hitstun for a good part of the uthrow afterwards, hence why some uair's fair's may be guarenteed :)) that is tech chasing.

Tech Chasing is not just a ground thing, once you realize this you'll play better.

Some characters fall faster, but they all end up in roughly the same exact position from Bowser, so if you test uthrow against all characters without DI they end up some distance above him, and slightly in front of him, the only difference is the height.

I'm testing to see if DI'ing up or down has any affect.

Also this DI chase > Bowser's dthrow tech-chase.

3 options, not 5.

(DI behind you (or try to, rofl not possible)
(No DI (do nothing)
(DI away)

or ground options:
get up
get up attack
roll left
roll right
do nothing

SuSa

Wow, you're lecturing me when you don't even understand what "tech" means.
Ukemi.

Technically a tech chase is predicting their tech from a move, will they tech-roll right/left, will they tech-roll in place, will they miss the tech? How can you punish each?

This was far more important in Melee/64 due to hitstun and teching... actually being important.

In Brawl however, moves like Snake's dthrow and Ganon's Side-B are considered "tech chasing" when in fact, THERE IS NO TECHING. Hence the more "Brawl-modified definition"

What it comes down to is opinion however.

Do you stay on the fact that tech chasing must include a tech of some sort?
How about just being grounded?
Anything that involves prediction and punishment? (Must include punishment in that)

10realtechnames

(I'm an 08 member, been playing since good ol' 64 release date, competitive since 2002, lurker of smashboards since 05, joined in 08)

SuSa

to me, get up , get up attack and do nothing are all the same.
Shield grab beats all of them.
Some getup attacks hit you to far away.
Most get ups are not predicted, and they manage to getup > roll away/counterattack in some way.

You can't shield grab them if they do nothing, however you can attack them. This is a more viable option with Ganon's tech chase to see what they do to tech chase you (do they shield, do they run away and b-reverse, do they run past you? etc.) to better find your best option the next time you are placed into that position.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yeah, when playing someone for the first few times I just run up and shield, it gives you the most options. Then I learn if my opponent follows a pattern (like always rolling away, or always doing the get-up attack) and change my strategy accordingly.

What's the judo term for "get-up attack?"

SuSa

Yeah, when playing someone for the first few times I just run up and shield, it gives you the most options. Then I learn if my opponent follows a pattern (like always rolling away, or always doing the get-up attack) and change my strategy accordingly.

What's the judo term for "get-up attack?"
QFT @ first part

Don't think there is one, couldn't find it. I just call it Get Up Attack (GUA! lmao)

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Predicting and punishing someone off an Uthrow isn't tech-chasing if you use the literal definition of tech-chasing, it's... well, it's predicting and punishing. You aren't chasing a tech.
It may be colloquial to call Snake's Dthrow chain and Ganondorf's sideB chain "Tech-chasing", but officially it's wrong. People just say that because they're so similar. Tech-chasing, you follow which way they roll, or if they tech in place, or if they don't tech at all. The Dthrow and SideB chains, you follow which way they roll, or if they get straight up, or attack, or nothing. You can see the similarities, so it makes sense to call them tech-chasing, despite the fact that they actually aren't.

Anyway.

On-topic, I just have a question since I don't have a lot of Bowser experience: I don't understand why you would do these post-throw things when Bowser has such great grab release options. Can someone please explain to an ignorant Falco main why these are better, or at least equal ideas?

Popertop

Smash Champion
they aren't, just drumming up some extra ideas.
maybe good to be flashy with.
Although....

Dthrow and it's options:

Getupattack - Shieldgrab, Up-B OoS
Getup - Jab, Pivot grab (if you were running to grab them, you can turn around and grab if they get up in the middle of your run)
Do nothing - Dsmash, Up-B
Roll away - Dash grab
Roll behind - Fsmash

At higher percents they can airdodge before the tech, and they probably can at lower percents.
But still, if they airdodge or attack, you can go from there with shield options and such.

With Uthrow, many times I am placed right in front of a platform (where they land during the throw) so it gives better options. I hardly think people punish tech rolls and failed techs on platforms enough.

There is actually not much they can do on a platform.
You have a couple very quick punishment options (for reacting to what they do on the spot)
and some slow punishment options (for reading them/ making an educated guess as to what they will do before it happens)
Slow punishment is good becuase many people make the same choice before you even do anything, even when you are already doing it. This is a bad habit, and they should get punished very very badly for it. :)

Okay, so the situation is in or near the middle of Battlefield.
Bowser has his opponent in a grab.
He Uthrows, and they DI far (usually what they do the first time out of an uthrow, either DI away or don't DI)
They land on the platform without teching (here you can jump and Fair, I like to see what they will do first)
and roll either left or right.

Roll left (away) - Fair/Klaw
Roll right (towards) - Bair

Both great options, and both send your opponent offstage for more pressure.

The slow options are Uair, Usmash, and Down B.
If they roll towards, then you start your Uair early and it connects right as they get out of their roll.
If they roll away you can keep running and charge a Usmash. Down B kinda catches both if you space it right.
These are good b/c of increased damage/knockback, and they could all most likely result in a stock as they are very strong.
A good thing about this is if you run after them you can watch what they do and probably still get punishment.
Ex. You are running and run past them. They thought you were going to Usmash so they roll away or get up. BAM! You jump out of your run and hit them with a Bair. If you react fast enough they won't have any time to shield from their getup. Another thing they will do is expect the Usmash and roll away. You can just keep running and Usmash anyway.
Is good. Really good. You can play with their head like this the whole match (provided you can keep putting them in these situations).

SuSa

Predicting and punishing someone off an Uthrow isn't tech-chasing if you use the literal definition of tech-chasing, it's... well, it's predicting and punishing. You aren't chasing a tech.
It may be colloquial to call Snake's Dthrow chain and Ganondorf's sideB chain "Tech-chasing", but officially it's wrong. People just say that because they're so similar. Tech-chasing, you follow which way they roll, or if they tech in place, or if they don't tech at all. The Dthrow and SideB chains, you follow which way they roll, or if they get straight up, or attack, or nothing. You can see the similarities, so it makes sense to call them tech-chasing, despite the fact that they actually aren't.

Really depends if you consider DI a tech. :laugh:

And like I said, opinionated.

Top Bottom