• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Vs. Charizard?

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Who is better? Give good reasons.

Bowser has Bowsercide, but Charizard has better recovery. Who do you think is better and why?

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I use Charizard a lot, so this is what I see:

Bowser wins in brute power. He can easily get Charizard off of the stage and kill him. However, Charizard is better at spacing, edgeguarding (because of better recovery) and, of course, recovery. Therefore, once Charizard has Bowser off of the edge, Bowser is pretty much dead.

So I say that Charizard is better overall.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I say Charizard, Im pretty sure his Fire Breath has a longer range, and I like his range a lot more as well. Plus I think he has better aerials, faster smash attacks, and only a bit less power, though compard to Bowser, Charizard's down smash sucks.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
His Down Smash is awesome. It's very quick and powerful, with the only downside being that it can only hit grounded enemies.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I would have to say charizard over bowser because of his range and better recovery.
Although bowser may have more strength, charizard wins because he has more options for approach and can edgeguard well against a bowser.

MMhawk607

Smash Rookie
probably Charizard

Bowser's "bowsercide" is a good annoying technique but easily avoidable
bowser is also relatively slow and heavy

Charizard has 'super armor' while using his recovery and basically is an all around easier character to use

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
Two of my three mains are PT and Bowser, so I'll put my two cents in here.

Charizard, in terms of stats, is better than Bowser: he jumps higher, moves faster, and attacks more quickly than Bowser. Charizard's recovery outshines Bowser's simply because Bowser jumps like a lead brick and his Whirling Fortress is high-priority, but predictable. Charizard is also quicker with his Forward Smash, and his other two smashes are great as well. His throws are also much better than Bowser's, with a little more fling and power.

But in my opinion, Bowser is a better choice than Charizard because of his air game. It's a little odd to say that the flying dragon has a worse aerial game than a grounded spiky turtle, but all of Bowser's air shots are incredible (as long as you connect because of the landing lag) save the DAir, which is pathetic compared to Charizard's Meteor Smash. Short-hopping and FAiring is a popular approach technique with quite a bit of knockback; Charizard can do the same, but with much less knockback. Throw in the fact that Bowser has very quick and powerful tilts, two great specials (Whirling Fortress is underrated, and that flying suplex outshines all of Charizard's throws), and a Forward Smash that is basically a OHKO at 50%, and you have a powerhouse who can makeup up for his horrendous speed with surprising unpredictability.

Thanks to Gimpyfish for giving me the inspiration to use Bowser as a main :)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Bowser is better and my mind wont be changed. He is the more heavier character, he has has suicide move, his U-air is great for killing, his F-Smash is better in terms of damage. Also, Gimpy showed that Bowser is a force to be reckoned with, and I'll be guided by his Bowser.

Bowser has his disjointed A attack which cancels out some projectiles, such as Samus' Missiles.
It dont matter if Bowser is slower, it just makes him more like a Tank.
Bowser's F-air is perhaps one of the better moves that Bowser has, and he does have an Infinite Jump, making him more trickier in the right hands and is great for Mindgames.
Bowser's Up-B, perhaps one of the best moves I know in the game... Fortress outta shield is FTW.
Many ppl doubt the Bowser Bomb, but it is good when you use it at the right time, and for me, it helped me set up a great KO, from Bowser Bombing an opponent while i fall to grab the ledge quickly, jump up from the ledge and do a U-air to finish off the opponent quickly.

That's what makes Bowser better.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Who is better? Give good reasons.

Bowser has Bowsercide, but Charizard has better recovery. Who do you think is better and why?
i'm gonna go with bowser on this one, charizard is a bit faster but i don't think his recovery is really all that great, he only gets 3 jumps if i remember correctly, and his glide is so slow its predictable, on the ground charizard has the advantage, but Bowser beats him in ariels Fair is probably his most reliable arial while Uair and Bair are awesome k.o. moves and its not too hard to hit a big floating dragon like charizard with his slower arials. and as for the fire breath, i do believe they have the same range on it, but i think bowsers might last a little longer, but i haven't tested it. whirling fortress has great priority and good knockback/percent, and once i bring in the bowsercide its not lookin too good for char.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Charizard is better (imo) his firebreath may have smaller range but its less punishable because it comes out and ends much faster then Bowser's.

He has super armor in his recovery which is great for not being gimped and his recovery is just better all together. His forward smash is stronger then Bowser's and it comes out faster.

He has has his Forward B which is great for racking up damage and its a good kill move. He may not has the same range in his standard A as Bowser but his standard A comes out faster then Bowser's and the rest of his moves (other then his ftilt which has the same range and speed as Bowser's) comes out faster then Bowser's does.

I'd say Char is better by far.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Anyone else think it makes zero sense that fire breath has an ENDING lag?

Starting, sure, I can see that: Bowser needs to take a deep breath, but ending it should be instantaneous.

God knows, the lag is ridiculously punishable.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Bowser is more.... useful.
One of the reasons I use him is I think he's a blindside character. He's great against people who have never played against him before, and is so bad that they usually haven't (at least recently). He can short hop a grabbing attack, hit you faster than a jab with his Up B, has a fair that is so fast, the hitbox is almost before you input it, and a suicide KO that requires the victim's DI to keep it from being brokenly good.
I think all these make him harder to fight than Charizard, and i think your opponents see Charizard more since he is part of a higher tier trio.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Charizard actually has more KO power than Bowser, and overall more options when it comes to covering himself. (Super armor, Rock smash, etc.) He also has better recovery and such. And of course, his superior grab.

But Bowser has a better defensive game IMO. Fortress, flying slam, actual fast aerials that cover below and to the side of him. Charizard has problems getting people out of his face when he's in the air.

I say Charizard wins, but Bowser has some very nice perks too.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Charizard actually has more KO power than Bowser, and overall more options when it comes to covering himself. (Super armor, Rock smash, etc.) He also has better recovery and such. And of course, his superior grab.

But Bowser has a better defensive game IMO. Fortress, flying slam, actual fast aerials that cover below and to the side of him. Charizard has problems getting people out of his face when he's in the air.

I say Charizard wins, but Bowser has some very nice perks too.
i hardly think charizard has more KO power than bowser.....charizard doesnt have a move even close to Bowsers Fsmash or Uair, even bowsers Bair has more KO power than any of chars arials. so i don't know about that.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Overall, Charizard is better. He's faster, has more recovery options, a meteor smash, more approaching options, better throws, etc. However, you have to factor in the stamina and that Charizard will get weaker after a bit, giving Bowser a slight advantage.

Top Bottom