• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's final smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Nah, Giga Bowser will return. 100% sure of that. The Koopa Klown Kar can't really top it. Some people may say that it would be more "faithful", but to be honest we can't act as if the smashverse shouldn't provide anything to the character's identity. After all, a FS is for a lot of characters some kind of Super Mode, and what better to represent a powered up Bowser than that behemot?
Giga Bowser has been iconic to the smash series since Melee, back then you can't lie and tell me that you didn't want to give it a try at that monstrous character, I even bet that no one was thinking of the Koopa Klown Kar at the time. Removing him and replacing it with that vehicle would be a step behind, but I'm not worried since I'm convinced it won't happen.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think we will still see Giga Bowser, I liked Giga Bowser as a final smash, but it needs fixed, I didn't like the invincibility and not being able to be budged, remove that because Giga Bowser doesn't need it, and also allow more time to play as him, I'd like to play as Giga Bowser maybe until he is koed, then turn back into normal Bowser.

Also I want Giga Bowser to be able to interact with items, that would be fun, and I was very disappointed to not be able to have Giga Bowser grab a few mushrooms and become Godzilla sized, or become Metal Giga Bowser, or grab a Pokeball, Assist Trophy...

Also I'd like Giga Bowser to match the same color Bowser you're playing as, if we're say using his Dry Bowser costume, then I want to see him turn into Giga Dry Bowser.

Sure Giga Bowser would be a bad thing for Bowser in tourneys, but then again, items are not used in Tourneys in the first place, so Giga Bowser is already banned from Tournaments because there are no Smash Balls to be had to access Giga Bowser in a Tourney, therefore making Giga Bowser a normal play exclusive, therefore we should have more time to play as him whenever we get the final smash.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think that extending it's duration time is priority number 1.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

I think that extending it's duration time is priority number 1.
Exactly, right, I mean in Brawl you barely get to do anything before having to transform back, which is kind of a waste, let Giga Bowser fight.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Bowser's new FS should be something Bowser would actually do.

Turning into something that looks like a 14-year-old would post on their DeviantArt is not something Bowser would do.
Little bit harsh there, Giga Bowser from a design choice is actually pretty sweet.

At least on Melee, it wasn't exactly overkilled. It was a harsh looking Bowser. It looked like what should be Bowser if he were to make his final stand towards Mario. As if he wanted to be a true violent overlord.

While note fitting to Bowser's normal personality, I really do love the Giga Bowser idea. Still wish they would actually separate the two, since Giga Bowser is more a vicious force than normal Bowser and I'd love to have Bowser vs Giga Bowser, but still.

I like the Giga form's implications about Bowser. It's the beast he's always wanted to be; all he needed was a lightning strike. Besides, apart from The Subspace Emissary, I've always loved Smash's original content.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Basically, everything you said can be summarized as this: "I personally do not enjoy Giga Bowser's look."

I respect that opinion, but there's a few things you need to keep in mind. You are most likely in the very low minority of people who actually actively oppose the experience of being a realistic, unstoppable, gargantuan version of Bowser. I think it is fair to say that almost everyone who used Bowser's Final Smash enjoys the hell out of it and thinks it's totally badass. Now for the claim that having Giga Bowser as a Final Smash is a misrepresentation...After killing a Giant Bowser in Adventure Mode SSB Melee, Bowser's trophy gets struck by lightning and he transforms into Giga Bowser. What better way to represent Bowser in a SSB game, than to make him transform into Giga Bowser; what he transforms into in a previous SSB game?

Also, Final Smashes don't necessarily HAVE to represent something in a game a character's been in or something they've done outside of Smash. That is simply, again, your opinion. I agree with it to a certain extent, but there is nothing wrong with sacrificing that philosophy for uniqueness, or fun...all the while still fitting the character. Sakurai agrees. Take a look at Lucario:

Aura Storm is Lucario's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and, like other Final Smashes, can only be activated after breaking a Smash Ball. Aura Storm is not a move in the Pokémon games.
- Source: http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Aura_Storm

Also with your opinion, we should remove Snake because "realistic characters" don't belong in Smash.
Its strange. He claim Giga Bowser is to realistic for Smash when the Super Metroid or Zero Mission version of Ridley he desire to appeared playable in Smash is way more realistic then Giga Bowser. Its ridiculous.

Looks like Ridley isn't the only dragon like creature with haters.

Back on topic.

Should Giga Bowser return as Bowser's Final?

Yup.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I posted this before, but what if Bowser eats the vacuum shroom as his final smash. He would inhale everyone (like Kirby's FS) and they would be bombarded by his insides.

It's not ideal, but it's an idea. What do you guys think?

I say Dry Bowser
Bowser transforms into dry bowser which is exactly like giga bowser accept for visual differences and he can't be damaged
This is admittedly cool too.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Eh, I really don't want Dry Bowser for his Final Smash. Why? Cuz' I wanna be able to use Dry Bowser all the time! He should be a Costume, dammit!

Bowser has a lot of possibilities for a FM, but I am at a loss, no idea what Sakurai would do.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
-Calls Bowser Jr in the clown car to fight for him
-Summon Koopa kids as bots to fight for him until they're KOed
-The next 5 neutral B presses will shoot an incredibly powerful fireball that travels forward, ala his original fire breath
-Call the airship to firebomb the stage.
-Summon a wall of bullet bills that launch in from the side of the screen and travel the length.
-Play a minigame from Inside Story where he grows stronger and faster for X seconds if the player times the button presses correctly
-Pull out a chain chomp and swing it around, allowing the player to aim the trajectory.
-Kamek flies in, sprinkles him with magic and makes him grow huge (which would be the canon version of his current final :p )
-Belches fire all over the stage and screen, leaving temporary fires burning at random that damage anyone who touches them (except Bowser)

Any of these would be more faithful and less LAZY than his current final smash.

And I have to agree that giga Bowser does look pretty ridiculous...

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'd say him simply growing is much more lazy than Giga Bowser. XD And Bowser looks badass, of which most agrees. But I would rather have something for his Final Smash that he actually does in his games.

I am positive Giga Bowser will be in the game, though.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
But I would rather have something for his Final Smash that he actually does in his games.
So would anyone who actually cares about Bowser's history. He deserves better than to have a reused melee boss for a final smash.

I am positive Giga Bowser will be in the game, though.
So am I.

In order for it to change, Sakurai would have to actually give a rat's butt about Bowser, which he doesn't.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Oh seriously, now you literally just come off as a Giga hater. It's pretty obvious Sakurai cares about Bowser, Not only did he seriously balance him now, ut Bowser was apparantlyne of the Top Priority characters. You are very biased.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So am I.

In order for it to change, Sakurai would have to actually give a rat's butt about Bowser, which he doesn't.
Certainly, Sakurai doesn't care about him. The only thing that he has done for Bowser lately is updating his moveset, adjusting his speed and making him stand taller. That heartless fiend, he must hate Bowser with the passion of a thousand suns!
Grrr!! Hate Boner!!!!

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Oh seriously, now you literally just come off as a Giga hater. It's pretty obvious Sakurai cares about Bowser, Not only did he seriously balance him now, ut Bowser was apparantlyne of the Top Priority characters. You are very biased.
Certainly, Sakurai doesn't care about him. The only thing that he has done for Bowser lately is updating his moveset, adjusting his speed and making him stand taller. That heartless fiend, he must hate Bowser with the passion of a thousand suns!
Grrr!! Hate Boner!!!!
What is it they say about "assumption" again? Something about making an ass out of someone? :p

I love how one video is proof that Bowser is "seriously" balanced when none of us have played the game or even seen how a SINGLE matchup pans out.

Remember how, when people first got their hands on Brawl, they were going on about how much better Bowser seemed? And then the game came out and we realized how wrong that was?

GB is a reuse of a boss from melee which was a reuse of a character in melee. It's the laziest final smash in the game (though the landmaster reuse is a close 2nd). You can spend years going on about how much you love GB. It doesn't change the fact that it was lazy on Sakurai's part and doesn't represent Bowser because it's not taken from any Mario game.

Seriously, it's super mushroom + star + model change + a few effect changes on some of the attacks. The only think that compares is Wario's but at least he also got a speed increase and better recovery...

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Ignoring the biased one that won't accept much, I'll talk to the one with sense instead.

@ Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu
Giga Bowser is awesome as Bowser's Final Smash, but it felt kinda weak to me in Brawl. :/ Maybe I used him wrong. And I'm not sure if making him stronger will just make him OP instead. But I Think he needs to be buffed just a Little somehow.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Extending his duration time would be ideal.

What is it they say about "assumption" again? Something about making an *** out of someone? :p

I love how one video is proof that Bowser is "seriously" balanced when none of us have played the game or even seen how a SINGLE matchup pans out.

Remember how, when people first got their hands on Brawl, they were going on about how much better Bowser seemed? And then the game came out and we realized how wrong that was?
True, we have only seen the tweaks to his moves but we cannot know how he'll fare until we try our hand at using him. But this dismisses your previous claim: that Sakurai doesn't care about him. Have that been the case, he wouldn't have bothered making any changes nor telling us about it in the developer's direct.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Extending his duration time would be ideal.

True, we have only seen the tweaks to his moves but we cannot know until we try our hand at using him. But this dismisses your previous claim: that Sakurai doesn't care about him. Have that been the case, he wouldn't have bothered making any changes nor telling us about it in the developer's direct.
Hey, don't forget that the Tekken team is "assisting" this time around.

I'm not going to say that it's certain, but I feel like this could be less of Sakurai fixing wrongs from the previous game and more the Tekken team slapping him on the nose, shouting "NO! That is NOT how you balance a heavy character! NO!"

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu
That'd work, he does vanish very quickly. Compared to Super Sonic that lasts for forever, with 10 times the KO Power...
I also hope that, if Bowser has his 'real' voice this time, that Giga Bowser will still have the realistic roars~

TeamFlareZakk

@ MasterofMonster MasterofMonster you have brought up some good points about Giga Bowser here.

I think all I desire is just playing as him longer, and my idea of a proper buff is making him the Melee version of Giga Bowser, b koedy that I mean unlike the Brawl Giga Bowser who can't be defeated and only lasts a short time, my idea is put the Melee Giga Bowser as the Final Smash instead, and he retains the form until he's koed, then respawns as regular Bowser.

I think Bowser getting really big is kind of generic if you ask me, even with the gimmicks used in Mario games, I like seeing Bowser turn into the monster that is Giga Bowser.

Even if Giga Bowser returns ad is the same he was in Brawl, I wouldn't mind, I don't usually use Final Smashes anyway, I just like to play around with them in Training Mode.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Giga Bowser.

Yeah. I have no problem with him. It's a smash tradition. I say just keep it.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I really do like Giga Bowser, but here are some more ideas...

1. Bowser jumps high in the air and sends several shock waves upon landing that send opponents flying (Reference: Super Mario 64 boss battles)

2. Bowser jumps on the heads of opponents nearby and then it goes to a cutscene... A wheel is turned to determine the fate of those present and it always lands on a burning. Bowser lights them up and they go flying (Reference Mario Party Bowser spaces/minigames)

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping they go away from the Giga Bowser smash to something that is more related to Bowser from the Mario series.

I'm thinking the Clown Copter slamming the ground and releasing huge balls that roll across the stage (an whatever else that fits it).
Maybe call in airships bombarding everyone on stage (less likely to be it but not entirely impossible I guess).
Cat Bowser... eh. Maybe not completely impossible. Probably not going to happen though.

As much as I liked Giga Bowser being a secret boss in Melee, him as a final smash is most likely to stay. I can't say I didn't want to play a Giga Bowser really when Brawl had that transformation. Too bad it was pretty disappointingly short. I hope they make it better if they keep it. This time around though, I would like him as a boss somewhere in the game.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I was able to dig into some new footage from GameXplain that's been posting vids like mad, and well, this one here has Bowser as Giga Bowser again, starting from :50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P3i5vsGvkw

He still has the Brawl animations though, but again the game's not finalized just yet, so things are subject to change.

Shök

Smash Champion
It's weird how Giga Bowser has different moves from Bowser (Giga Bowser has Brawl/Melee f-smash and bair).

I wonder if they're gonna leave it like this or "fix" it later.

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that in Giga Bowser's second jump he goes inside his shell and spins, unlike Bowser in Smash 4. Maybe... i don't know.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
It's weird how Giga Bowser has different moves from Bowser (Giga Bowser has Brawl/Melee f-smash and bair).

I wonder if they're gonna leave it like this or "fix" it later.
I think it's fine as is. They're making regular Bowser a bit more "civilized" for lack of a better word, with his upright stance and what-not, but Giga Bowser is an out-of-control monster, so it makes sense for him to retain Bowser's old moves.

Ailodierap

Smash Rookie
I'm actually quite glad that they've decided to stick with Giga Bowser. It could be a great Final Smash if they would just make it last a bit longer. In that GameXplain clip, it lasted all of 10 seconds. Super Sonic lasts at least twice that long, and I'd say Super Sonic's crazy speed and control give him much more KO potential than Giga Bowser currently has. The main priority for the developers, if they are still working on Giga Bowser, is to make the transformation last longer. At least 5 to 10 seconds longer.

As for the worries that Giga Bowser as a Final Smash doesn't accurately represent Bowser in the Mario games... well Mario doesn't currently possess a power-up that lets him shoot enormous fiery death spirals out of his hands, but in Smash Bros., he just goes ahead and does it. Aura Storm does not exist as a move in Pokemon, but Lucario goes ahead and uses it anyways. Metal Gear Solid is a game that revolves around stealth, but in Smash Bros., Snake just pulls out a huge grenade launcher and blows up the entire area, in the least subtle way possible. There are Final Smashes that don't 100% fit their characters all over the place.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I'm actually quite glad that they've decided to stick with Giga Bowser. It could be a great Final Smash if they would just make it last a bit longer. In that GameXplain clip, it lasted all of 10 seconds. Super Sonic lasts at least twice that long, and I'd say Super Sonic's crazy speed and control give him much more KO potential than Giga Bowser currently has. The main priority for the developers, if they are still working on Giga Bowser, is to make the transformation last longer. At least 5 to 10 seconds longer.

As for the worries that Giga Bowser as a Final Smash doesn't accurately represent Bowser in the Mario games... well Mario doesn't currently possess a power-up that lets him shoot enormous fiery death spirals out of his hands, but in Smash Bros., he just goes ahead and does it. Aura Storm does not exist as a move in Pokemon, but Lucario goes ahead and uses it anyways. Metal Gear Solid is a game that revolves around stealth, but in Smash Bros., Snake just pulls out a huge grenade launcher and blows up the entire area, in the least subtle way possible. There are Final Smashes that don't 100% fit their characters all over the place.
And that's what I hate about Sakurai's choices. He doesn't make the characters as true as they were/are in their source material nor does he showcase their true potential. Not even the characters he helped made when he work for HAL!

Ailodierap

Smash Rookie
And that's what I hate about Sakurai's choices. He doesn't make the characters as true as they were/are in their source material nor does he showcase their true potential. Not even the characters he helped made when he work for HAL!
But I think it's nice that he goes out of his way to give each character a bit of a unique Smash Bros. charm. While there are some characters that could undoubtedly better represent their source material, I don't think it detracts from the experience all that much, if at all. Bowser in SSB4 looks like a joy to use and I can't wait to play as him, regardless of how closely he resembles his main series appearances. In a lot of cases, Sakurai goes with what works, and he can feel confident while doing so. Heck, you only have to check how relieved people are that Sakurai didn't go with the most modern design of Pac-Man, and I'm sure there would have been a lot of upset fans if Sakurai went with Sonic's new design from Sonic Boom. I know that designs are a totally different thing to movesets, but it's a similar basic analogy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom