• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bowser's Inside Story - Q&A

rekt

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0318-9141-7498
Would learning BZER is past games help my ability to improve in Sm4sh?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Not necessarily. Learning how one character works would be fine if the Smash games' mechanics as a whole did not change dramatically with each iteration. But since they do, I'm not sure what playing Bowser in Brawl will do for you. He has a bunch of tools that Smash 4's Bowser does not have, and Smash 4 Bowser has a bunch of things that both Melee and Brawl Bowser do not have.

Playing Bowser in Brawl for 6 years lets you become familiar with what worked and what didn't work before, but all the advanced tricks he had in Melee didn't transfer to Brawl, and what he was good at in Brawl didn't transfer completely to Smash 4. If anything, the only thing that's remained about him is his "strong" killing power, and his staple Up-B OoS option.

Learning anything from a previous game usually won't help you improve in the next iteration of the game. At best, you'll just learn basic Smash Bros. fundamentals, but you can learn that from any game if you just play it well enough and have a general understanding of what you're doing in each game, what you're getting away with, and what you should stop doing. That requires a lot of self-awareness and moderate meta-cognitive abilities, but it's very helpful to look at it from that perspective in my opinion.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
The answer to taking your Bowser to the next level is to hit up a tournament. Check Sm4sh events in your area.

rekt

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0318-9141-7498
The answer to taking your Bowser to the next level is to hit up a tournament. Check Sm4sh events in your area.
This is a great idea, but I have one small problem... I'm at Uni and, being in the UP of Michigan, I'm pretty sure there is little to no comepetitve smash following at school. (The "smash club" at our School just had a "tournament" for brawl. The prize was a WiiU and Sm4sh. Sounds great, right? Nope, the entire tournament was 4 man FFA with Items...)

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
This is a great idea, but I have one small problem... I'm at Uni and, being in the UP of Michigan, I'm pretty sure there is little to no comepetitve smash following at school. (The "smash club" at our School just had a "tournament" for brawl. The prize was a WiiU and Sm4sh. Sounds great, right? Nope, the entire tournament was 4 man FFA with Items...)
Ok, the first thing you can try is introducing competitive smash to the existing club, and if that doesn't work then consider starting your own club that's based around competitive gaming. Even if you can't start your own club or get the existing club to focus on competitive, if you at least catch the interest of a few students then you can try to run small weekend tournies from someone's house. However, it's also entirely possible that there may be a scene in your area that you're unaware of, try looking on facebook for any smash groups in your state, if you find one then they can tell you about tournaments that are close enough to your area, and it might turn out a few of the members could attend your school.

B!squick

Smash Master
There's regional boards. Could check them. The Michigan scene might be better than poor old Florida. All we have is a horribly outdated topic that barely anyone has posted in.

If I had anything resembling an income at the moment I'd have my own Smash tourny. With black jack. And hookers.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
There's regional boards. Could check them. The Michigan scene might be better than poor old Florida. All we have is a horribly outdated topic that barely anyone has posted in.

If I had anything resembling an income at the moment I'd have my own Smash tourny. With black jack. And hookers.
I heard from Deadremedia on NAKAT's stream that South Florida's got a pretty active scene.

B!squick

Smash Master
Ha. I wish. Money and ID johns (long, stupid story). Also, I'd need a TON more practice before I was confidant enough to commit to something like that anyway.

Random question, how old are you guys? Old man of 26, almost 27 reporting in. Single despite many kidnappings. :)

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
20. A long time has passed since I first posted in the Bowser boards haha

B!squick

Smash Master
Happy Birthday Zigsta!

Yeah, I feel old. I had a roommate from years back say I had an old soul. He was black, too, so he knew what he was talking about. Sucks I lost contact with him. Our dumb other roommate lost his number when went went our separate ways.

I think my "age" stems from my love of old sitcoms. Thank you Nick at Night and TV Land. If it wasn't for you I never would have known of the comedy gold that was All in the Family.

And did I mention I love me some Queen?

B!squick

Smash Master
Yeah, I got held back a few times. Being a 15 year old in third grade was rough. Graduating from high school two years ago was a big moment for me.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I turn 28 next month, and I feel great. I'm looking forward to my 30s, because that's the point in life where experience and youth hit a perfect balance, in my opinion.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I know this sounds absolutely bonkers, but has anyone tested Bowser's dthrow to upair against all characters at a variety of percents? I kinda wonder if it could work seeing as dthrow to upair works with tons of characters now. Might be crazy but hey, none of us are using dthrow because at first glance it just sucks compared to Brawl. I don't have a Wii U at the moment or else I'd test it for grins.

garkimbo

Smash Rookie
One thing I never really utilize often with Bowser is grabs. The grabbing animation is so slow and sluggish, when I miss, I often get severely punished. But I look at all these videos of good Bowser players, and they all grab. I don't get it, why would I want to grab over just using side-b? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've only ever played Smash against computer players...and don't have a lot of experience with "competitive play"

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
One thing I never really utilize often with Bowser is grabs. The grabbing animation is so slow and sluggish, when I miss, I often get severely punished. But I look at all these videos of good Bowser players, and they all grab. I don't get it, why would I want to grab over just using side-b? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've only ever played Smash against computer players...and don't have a lot of experience with "competitive play"
Because Klaw has the decency of giving us Ganondorf Grab range. Meaning none at all. Normal grabs after a Jab 1 or even a stop dash will lunge forward. And Pivot Grab has the range the width of a another Bowser in front of you where your opponent will warp into your hands.

Also Klaw got nerfed so you always die first and sometimes your opponent will survive and recover.

And late game a normal grab + pummel into throw does more damage. Klaw should only be used as a guaranteed kill move.

minilabs

Smash Rookie
I like the fact that light moves when they hit bowser at low percents almost don't make him flinch lol.

Huben Draknir

Smash Rookie
NNID
HubenDraknir
3DS FC
4570-9317-8482
Yea Tough Guy definitely suits Big B more then the rest of the cast.

I just wish it was more manageable and didn't give you that slowdown.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Tough Guy needs to be buffed where attacks that do 5% or less don't make you flinch. And 100% and up attacks that do 10% or less have the same effect. Because wah wah wah. Seriously in most cases the mechanics of Tough Guy make us take more damage as opposed to us being in knockback hitstun.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
The point of Tough Guy isn't to reduce the damage you take, it's to create larger windows of opportunity. While highly matchup dependant, and situational even at that, it does give some breathing room in matchups where Tough Guy matters (ie Megaman).

@ G garkimbo Most grabs you will see are OoS, where it is a solid option in most situations. You will also find that more experienced Bowsers will decide to use a grounded bomb instead of Klaw, as it provides a similar window of opportunity while giving you a much greater reward should you land it. Of course, this is a moot point if your concern is to crush CPUs, in which case you can keep doing whatever works

Last edited:

Huben Draknir

Smash Rookie
NNID
HubenDraknir
3DS FC
4570-9317-8482
I thought the point of Tough Guy was not to flinch, not to not take damage, but it's the slowdown part especially against little Macs jabs that make it bothersome and the general fact that its inconsistent, luigis fireballs are fine but Marios stop you dead.

Regardless of how wonkey it maybe I still love it, it's helped many times against megamans pellets, luigis fireballs, and ness pk fires to get serious damage in or to get out of combo sprees

Not to mention the large amount of jab comboes I've been able to bowser bomb through

Last edited:

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
What's the fastest way to ledge trump someone? I feel like there's something obvious because I see other characters just get on the edge instantly without a jump when their backs are against the edge. I feel like there is a technique I don't know about.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
A question about Bowser's Koopa Klaw / wrestlemania slam attack in this installment :

Did they actually make it so you can Tech on hit now? :(
This was when I first picked up the Wii U version, but there hasn't been patches for that one just yet.

I was in FG mode 1v1 vs a player who used Marth / Shulk and noticed that when I'd snatch em with it, the player was able to consistently Tech as they hit Ground > they didn't get launched at all ._.;

I hope I'm just crazy or something and this doesn't exist.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
What's the fastest way to ledge trump someone? I feel like there's something obvious because I see other characters just get on the edge instantly without a jump when their backs are against the edge. I feel like there is a technique I don't know about.
Run off reverse hadouken.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
A question about Bowser's Koopa Klaw / wrestlemania slam attack in this installment :

This was when I first picked up the Wii U version, but there hasn't been patches for that one just yet.

I was in FG mode 1v1 vs a player who used Marth / Shulk and noticed that when I'd snatch em with it, the player was able to consistently Tech as they hit Ground > they didn't get launched at all ._.;

They can tech the slam on hit? If so this move got even more pathetic.

B!squick

Smash Master

I will test this shortly. Good god I hope this isn't true.

EDIT: Blah. I'll try to remember this tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom