• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's none SideB grab game

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
Outside of side B, I literally can't find too much of a reason to do regular grabs outside of Fast fallers. With Fast fallers I can up throw into fair which is great. Hell I can do tech chases off of down throw. Outside of fast fallers the only throws I find remotely useful is back throw, which isn't too too strong (A weird complaint about bowser).

Can anyone tell me a good use/setup with regular throws?

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Pretty sure up-throw fair works on a large majority of the cast.

at least at lower %'s.

Rags

Smash Ace
IIRC, D-throw is good for tech chases, and upthrow always puts on a good amount of percent, generally. On places with a platform, you can up throw below it into an up tilt or fair, if they shield, you can do a side b through the platform and possibly throw them over the ledge for an edgegaurd situation.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Even if throwing doesn't lead to a follow up, being able to back/forward throw someone off stage is really important to set up an edgeguard situation for Bowser. He's got one of the best, if not THE best, edgeguarding games in the cast. One thing to try is mix-up his Dash Attack and Dash Grab since they have similar starting animations.

As far as Marth goes, our ability to edgeguard him gives us an advantage in that MU. Toss him off stage if you land a grab or smack him with a Fair or tilt. If he tries to recover low, Down-B will eat his Up-B AND kill him. You just have to wait for him to finish air-stalling. If he recovers high, fly out there and Fair-smack him again. Our tipper out-ranges his. If you're not comfortable with your spacing yet, just go in like a wrecking ball with Nair. lol

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
Even if throwing doesn't lead to a follow up, being able to back/forward throw someone off stage is really important to set up an edgeguard situation for Bowser. He's got one of the best, if not THE best, edgeguarding games in the cast. One thing to try is mix-up his Dash Attack and Dash Grab since they have similar starting animations.

As far as Marth goes, our ability to edgeguard him gives us an advantage in that MU. Toss him off stage if you land a grab or smack him with a Fair or tilt. If he tries to recover low, Down-B will eat his Up-B AND kill him. You just have to wait for him to finish air-stalling. If he recovers high, fly out there and Fair-smack him again. Our tipper out-ranges his. If you're not comfortable with your spacing yet, just go in like a wrecking ball with Nair. lol
Let me also add that downtilt works wonders if they're trying to sweetspot it. If you can time it with their up B it will hit them if they are a frame off, which IMO is wonderful mindgames to scare them from trying to sweetspot.

Though I would advise against using nair offstage. Really, I only found fair to be the one air move you can revover safely from. Just spend time in practice mode usinf fair offstage to get an idea.

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
maybe it's just me. I seems like when I try to nair offstage he falls faster as opposed to fair. Course if you're THE bones, what do I know?

Though I do have to ask, how can you punish a marth that uses F smash a lot?

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Maybe you pressed down by accident? lol

Like...how do you mean? Is he just spamming standing FSmash or is he actually setting up for it?

Rags

Smash Ace
Maybe you pressed down by accident? lol

Like...how do you mean? Is he just spamming standing FSmash or is he actually setting up for it?
strikes me as just spamming it at random times. There's no real setup, it's more like his approach. Which is odd considering it shouldn't be that good. Though I can't get in in time.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
A good use for throws?
Being able to hit people shielding.
*slow clap*

If he's approaching with it (not anti-approach/catching you with it?) then it should be fairly easy to punish. Especially if he does it as often as you make it out to be. Hell, if that's the case, you can use the lean-back/charge animation of Bowser's forward smash to dodge and then hit him hard with a punish. Lol Same for Marths that approach with Fair a lot.

Other, safer, ways to punish would be to just punish with a tilt or aerial. Short hop Nair or Side-b grab from behind I guess. Bowser has a lot of ways to actually out-range Marth and stop any reckless approaches. Flame cancels are really good in this MU too, especially against grounded approaches.

If he starts playing the MU correctly and tries to go for DD camping/punishing and grab game, just be intelligent with your Flame Cancels to stuff the grounded approach. Our Fair out-ranges his and Down-tilt can intercept his grab attempts pretty effectively. Just space him out. Marth is one of the few higher-tier characters forced to actually approach us.

Also Jabs. Our Jab is very fast and has surprising range for a lot of people. Lol Jab cancels are great.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Standing grab is a good mixup after jab, along with upb and bowser's tilts. Dash grab is almost exclusively for tech chasing and punishing unsafe moves at a distance - if you throw it out in neutral, you'll get spotdodged 120% of the time.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Dash grab is almost exclusively for tech chasing and punishing unsafe moves at a distance - if you throw it out in neutral, you'll get spotdodged 120% of the time.
Not if you mix it up. lol. It's about conditioning.

If they spot dodge a Dash Attack, they're gonna eat dat lower-jaw hitbox. Lol. Not saying to always through it out randomly, but it's far from being the most unsafe move.

Frost | Odds

Half of bowser's moves are the most unsafe move. The problem is that dash grab is by far Bowser's longest range attack - the opponent is always safe spotdodging at that range. The mixup only becomes viable at closer range, but it's still pretty much 50/50, and the other guy's punish is pretty much guaranteed to be harder than yours.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Sometimes, you really need to force your play. Even if it isn't the safest option. There's always a time and place for certain moves. When you're playing Bowser, you're making a big gamble either way. You have to know how to play your opponent and read really well.

And I'll say it again...I'm not saying to throw it out for every attack. ;P

Rags

Smash Ace
hmm I see. I do love seeing a correct read and hopping over a dtilt to fair on marth's face. Always a lovely sight to behold.

Frost | Odds

Sometimes, you really need to force your play. Even if it isn't the safest option. There's always a time and place for certain moves. When you're playing Bowser, you're making a big gamble either way. You have to know how to play your opponent and read really well.

And I'll say it again...I'm not saying to throw it out for every attack. ;P
Yup. You're entirely correct, as usual. There's a time and a place.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Lawl. I'm never always correct. Never claimed to be. I'm still learning too.

What I do know is that there are a few situations where a more unsafe option could be the only/best option.

Rags

Smash Ace
Lawl. I'm never always correct. Never claimed to be. I'm still learning too.

What I do know is that there are a few situations where a more unsafe option could be the only/best option.
well don't hold out, pray tell!

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
^(Can't tell if sarcastic or pickles)

There are many different MU situations, too many to really list. But dammit, I guess I'll get started on that Bowser guide that I've been meaning to make.

Top Bottom