• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Rival

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Space animals were irritating until I learned how to deal with them properly.

Pikachu players can also be very dangerous, mainly because the down A smash has an insane hitbox and basically cannot be DIed out of.

I'd still say Marth/MK are the worst because of disjointed hitboxes. Anything fast with range which you can't easily strike back with is a pain, but still doable if you're fast enough.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Space animals were irritating until I learned how to deal with them properly.

Pikachu players can also be very dangerous, mainly because the down A smash has an insane hitbox and basically cannot be DIed out of.

I'd still say Marth/MK are the worst because of disjointed hitboxes. Anything fast with range which you can't easily strike back with is a pain, but still doable if you're fast enough.
1. Pikachu is a hard matchup, but not because of the downsmash which you can smash DI out of(when at the edge of pikachu's dsmash just smash away), pikachu's thundershock (b) destroys bowser's approach. And Thunder (DB) is much easier to combo into itself b/c of bowser's size.

Nevertheless, I still wouldn't say pikachu is a huge counter, just an advantage.

2. Marth is a huge counter to bowser. Marth destroys bowser on the edge, comboes ridiculously well, and bowser can't approach at all against marth's fair.

3. I haven't played any good metaknights yet, so I can't really speak on this. I would definitly aggree that metaknight is good against bowser tho.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Once you know Pikachu's tricks, he's definitely doable, you just need to know when to attack and when to stay the hell out of the way.

But yeah, MK can be a pain as well, but thank god he doesn't have the kind of range Marth does. I have played a good MK and the best way to handle it is to play defensively, pick your openings and never forget that your fire stops him dead.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Go**** space animals. Him and Marth are seriously annoying. Anyone care to actually contribute a strategy against these?

I find, overall, Sonic to be quite annoying against Bowser X< He locks me up pretty **** quickly.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Characters with Speed, projectiles, or both are all problems for Bowser. I consider the 3 space animals, Sheik and that yellow rat the most annoying.
Sonic isnt completely considered a Major problem since he does not have much range and lacks major KO moves and a projectile.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
A friend's falco...can anyone tell how to avoid getting CG-> d-aired aff the edge all the time? So far my options are:
UpB out of the CG, which gives them a free hit unless they are asleep
Try to tech against the side on the way down...
let them get 50% on you so they can't CG you...
don't get grabbed

>_< I feel so nubby not being able to do anything about this (so of course I picked IC the next time and broke his CG *evil laugh*) and I feel dumb having to pick another character to face falco <_<

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I have trouble fighting Samus sometimes but I can manage to defeat her. Hmmm...
tilts/jabs > missiles. That's the most useful thing for a samus matchup, sadly if you tilt a misile when she has a charged shot she can wipe you out. I have a lot of trouble vs pikachu and, unsurprisingly, space animals (although I've yet to play a falco. at all. No one online plays him and I'm the only one of my friends too).

I have the most trouble against Wolf because I've yet to unlock him so I don't know how he plays meaning he can surprise me witha number of moves I don't recognise.

TakDragon7

Smash Lord
Heatwave City, where air conditioners dont do jack
tilts/jabs > missiles. That's the most useful thing for a samus matchup, sadly if you tilt a misile when she has a charged shot she can wipe you out. I have a lot of trouble vs pikachu and, unsurprisingly, space animals (although I've yet to play a falco. at all. No one online plays him and I'm the only one of my friends too).

I have the most trouble against Wolf because I've yet to unlock him so I don't know how he plays meaning he can surprise me witha number of moves I don't recognise.

Yeah. Just did another Samus match and won with luck. lolz I know all of Wolf's moves (since I use him sometimes) so I know what's coming from him.

DwaynBibad

Smash Cadet
I think we should go ahead and turn this thread into a full Bowser match ups thread, because in the Tactical Brawl Discussion forum they have a huge Match Up Charts thread.

If you look at it, it seems that Bowser is pretty much weak to everyone (Ivysaur?) and has no advantage match ups. I agree that Bowser has problems, but he's definitely no Ganondorf, so we should try to compile a better list of Bowser's match ups and give it to them.

Okay back on topic, Peach gives me a lot of problems because her speed + all her attacks seem to outpriortize Bowser's moves. Her Down Smash and floating makes grabbing her almost impossible. If you can catch her turnips and toss it back at her though, you get a free throw on block, that's all I could find.

Olimar just crushes Bowser, it's easily his worse match up. Bowser flame does nothing when he has red pikmin out.

Of all the space animals I would say Falco is the worse, because his reflector toss goes right through Bowser's Flamethrower, and really fast gun spam.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Actually, against lighter characters, Bowser smacks them around quite nicely. Jiggs, Kirby, and Metaknight typically have to avoid taking more than 6-7 hits total per stock to stay out of KO range.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I think we should go ahead and turn this thread into a full Bowser match ups thread, because in the Tactical Brawl Discussion forum they have a huge Match Up Charts thread.
We have one of those, and to cut down on noise, let's just keep it in the one that KevinM is organize and update;)

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but lets not make more threads than we need to ;)

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
The only person I have a lot of trouble with is Marth. It's his range combined with speed and disjointed hitbox that make him difficult to fight.

ctrlaltdestroy

Smash Cadet
Yeah Bowser has serious issues with speed, but the biggest problem with that is when its coupled with range
Meta Knight has the speed, its just his range is so small that by the time he gets close enough to accomplish anything, a dodge has already been used.

realy id have to say marth is worst, just because of his range. and sonic isnt such a problem, because its easy to dodge his hits, they are easy to see coming. Bowser's biggest hope against these fast characters is the fact that all characters dodge at the same speed. so you dodge and dodge until they make a mistake, and they always will.

Sodapop

Smash Apprentice
None of you guys have trouble with a good Diddy Kong? His Neutral A combo racks up serious damage on Bowser due to his size, than a few good smashes kills you. I feel so pathetic when a little monkey beats my Fire-Breathing Koopa.

KoopaKiD

Smash Cadet
tch, you are all wrong, it's Luigi. One mess up and I mean ONE and you die if your over 56%. Simple as that. To face pro Luigi you make EVERY move count. When you can beat a PRO Luigi, these other characters are nothing, including Marth.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
im surprised no one has brought up lucario. bowser gets hit by EVERYTHING HE DOES. moreso when lucario is over 85%

residentevilrulz

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe none of you are mentioning Game & Watch... he's SO BROKEN lol. Anyhow, yeah, I feel that the only completely terrible matchup for Bowser is G&W. PLay against Kyari and you'll know what I'm talking about. I can beat him on occasion, but it's kind of rare

KoopaKiD

Smash Cadet
I can't believe none of you are mentioning Game & Watch... he's SO BROKEN lol. Anyhow, yeah, I feel that the only completely terrible matchup for Bowser is G&W. PLay against Kyari and you'll know what I'm talking about. I can beat him on occasion, but it's kind of rare
omfg, DON"T get me started on G&W. Lost my chance for third place in tournament play because of Bane's LUCKY A$$ 0% KILL with that D@MN HAMMER! And bs what people say about DI-ing out off your death, it straight up killed me and i was forced into 7th *grumbles* i almost had him too..

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
Link and Toon Link. I can deal with anyone else, but pit me against a defensive Link or Toon Link that throw projectiles at you until you get close and I find myself having trouble. Good thing I have Zero Suit Samus to deal with them.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Darkness, you had a chance to bowsercide there, and missed it :<

You also play way too much of an offensive game against him. I would, at least, try to mindgame a Lucario out of camping, or just wear him down over time. Lucario isn't that heavy, so if you can get it right, just use fsmash at around 100% or so to send him flying.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman

i come from the ddd forums and i say king ddd, he has the multiple jumps and strength.
if his strength knocks bowser off the stage, his midair jumps can severely WOP him to his death.
bowser is one of my favorite players to face, and also play as

lordaxl

Smash Cadet
freaking king dedede is the worst (next to marth of course)

bowser's so big that he gets chain grabbed all the time. haha maybe its because my bowser isnt that much developed but it seems dedede just has the upper hand all the time.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
i definetly have trouble with R.O.B
i have a friend who is a HUGE projectile spammer. i can sometimes win, spamming dodges and UP Bs, which u can do against everyone, and once u get them into the air, its easy to control the air game, since Bowsers Uair,Fair,and Bair are amazing aerials

Top Bottom