• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boxing: What it is, and how to do it

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Doesn't boxing also has outfighters/infighters stuff? Wouldn't a better word be say ...

1. A Melee
2. A Brawl
3. An Infight?
Listen to how confusing that is. If I walked up to you and said, "Falco has the best Melee/Brawl/Infight game," you'd be like, "What are you talking about?" Considering that with the exception of crawling, or the dash away pivot options, you can't actively space on the ground, boxing is a pretty suitable term for it. No one has ever needed to ask me what I meant when I used the terminology "boxing." When you think of boxing, you think of people punching each other quickly, and dodging it at close range.

Though boxers in real life do walk around and space each other as we do in Brawl, the mechanics of that fight are drastically different, because they generally aren't jumping around and throwing auto-canceled aerials. :laugh:

To punish Marth's Dancing Blade, you need to learn the animations for when it's finished, and learn the Marth's Dancing Blade patterns (we all have them). It's never safe on block, save for the fact that the next hit of Dancing Blade can usually come out quicker than your next option. As both Snake and Meta, Ftilt is usually appropriate punishment. If Dancing Blade hit three hits your shield, you can punish before hit 4.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
I play DK..Crappy jab. Even if you hold it I think they can shield the second hit. So I just grab in every situation. I grab to punish attacks, I dash grab the moment I land to surprise my enemy as he lands, I grab all day and night. I also rarely spot dodge unless I'm Yoshi or Link. I do the same thing with Bowser except I dashgrab almost every time..It's very fast.

Whatever you say. I still think that boxing is the unique and sole fighting style of the "SamuraiPanda".

Here is a picture of the boxing panda.

Such a serious look. He will kill without notice.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
LoL @ the person who thinks Ike's boxing-game sucks.
Once Ike's first jab connects, you're in for a minimal of 20%dmg. Also add the fact that he can mindgame you and grab you. Or would you perhaps like an over-ranged aerial for dessert whilst you grab and miss after our mindgames?
Ike doesn't suck @ boxing

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
just a bit of a correction, grabs have the highest priority in the game on the frames they are active in, in that they will always win if they overlap a hurtbox (they may take damage, but the other guy gets grabbed and your guy goes nowhere). seeing as most grabs are 6-8 frames grabbing is actually a pretty good idea

EDIT: darknid, dks jab guarantees the follow up, if you hit it right you can also cancel into guaranteed dsmashes, utilts and grabs

Automated

Smash Rookie
I have a question.
When I'm brawling, other people grab me and seem to be able to deal a decent amount of damage to me, and the project me quite far.
Me on the other hand do about 6% damage and project them about 2 feet.
So could someone please tell me some button combos to use when I grabs.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
LoL @ the person who thinks Ike's boxing-game sucks.
Once Ike's first jab connects, you're in for a minimal of 20%dmg. Also add the fact that he can mindgame you and grab you. Or would you perhaps like an over-ranged aerial for dessert whilst you grab and miss after our mindgames?
Ike doesn't suck @ boxing
You honestly think you're going to tell me about ike's boxing game? Here's the fact of the matter, ike's only true combo in that situation is his first jab into a reset then a full jab combo afterwards. This is technically incorrect though since if you SDI during the first 2 hits of the following jab combo, the last hit of the jab combo can be power shielded. I already mentioned that his first jab into grab is a good option for him but again with horrid grab range if you SDI outwards he has to dash grab, which you'd be more than free to avoid or roll away from since his grab range is honestly pretty mediocre. The thing going for ike in his boxing game is that his first jab (and only if you dont reset it) has a 6 frame advantage followed by a 7 frame advantage if they don't jump to get away from it after being popped up. If they DO jump the only valid response that will connect in time is a jab to turn around back air (hits 2 frames into the jump). If they don't jump and dont DI properly your options are grab, up tilt, dsmash, or resetting the combo. Dsmash and up tilt hit on frame 13, exactly quick enough for these to be true combos if not DI'd, and I covered the other 2 options.

If ANY character had the same frame advantage ike did out of his first jab, guaranteed kills would be all over the place. If fox had that advantage, he could straight jab to up smash you.

But if the jab gets blocked, ike is forced to retreat or attempt to push through and hope the person is impulsive. He has no close range options that hit under frame 13 up close other than his jab, meaning you're attempting to cover spacing, crossups, blocks, dodges, and short hops all with jab. His boxing game is very one stop shop and it's kinda easy to shut down.

Seriously, me of all people....

kr3wman

Smash Master
You could say 'Falco has the best closeup game', 'Falco has the best short range capabilities' 'Falco has the best close range mixups', 'Falco has the best moves up-close', 'Falco's moves are good up-close' and every variation thereof.

People don't have to create terms just to create terms you know.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Since it doesn't seem to have been heeded when the first person said it, I'll repeat that all shields activate on frame 1.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Since it doesn't seem to have been heeded when the first person said it, I'll repeat that all shields activate on frame 1.
Fastest action in the game ftw. Pierce (or a Snake main) how good would you say is Snake boxing game? I think it's fairly decent since his jab is fast.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
It seems kind of unnecessary to give the part of the fight where range is no longer an issue for either person a new name, but then I'm just grumpy that people think something as deep as all that real boxing entails might be thought of as a slugfest

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
I read the OP but not the rest of the posts. I think it should be called CQC (close-quarters combat) rather than boxing. Boxing only uses hands. Plus CQC sounds cool.

Villi

Smash Lord
I enjoy 'boxing' with Zelda, though I realize she isn't the best at it. Her attacks are slow, but they're all high priority and deliver good reward. She just has to either skirt around the situation or knock them away at first to make her more ambiguous up close, then she can take advantage of their more cautious reactions with cross ups and low forwards. o.O

Dtilt is slow compared to jab, but it's well ranged and potentially does a lot of damage. Cross up nairs into buffered turn around dtilts cover many shield reactions and spot dodges. Naryu's love is her button mash option, since nobody likes being knocked into the air by a jab and landing with down air lag for mashing dsmash. Dash crossup bair is too sexy; I just want it.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You could say 'Falco has the best closeup game', 'Falco has the best short range capabilities' 'Falco has the best close range mixups', 'Falco has the best moves up-close', 'Falco's moves are good up-close' and every variation thereof.

People don't have to create terms just to create terms you know.
Or I can merely use the term I've always been using, and if you don't want to use it, you don't have to. This isn't an AT we're talking about here, it's merely a section of combat within the game. I "coined" the term to talk about it with ease. If you don't like it, don't use it, lol.

Also, I'll edit shield start-up time to 1. But there's an inconsistency. Either shield is 2, or ZSS' jab is 2. Or I'm just utterly mistaken about both, it happens.

Snake is an incredible boxer. Frame 2 jab, which deals a lot of damage. Ftilt, which can have a mix-up hit two and in total deals a massive 21 damage, and grab which leads into
the best Oki in the game.
an amazing trap senerio.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
"Dair OOS: Many times, MK (and I do this with Marth as well) like to Dair out of shield to jump away from their opponent while trying to hit them. This is because these characters have terrible boxing games, and standing at point blank range with their opponents is extremely hard."

Jigglypuff <333

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
"Dair OOS: Many times, MK (and I do this with Marth as well)"
You made me smile. Retreating Dair OOS with Marth is a vastly overlooked option that I favor myself at times.

Yes, Dair OOS is a good option for these characters, but I did not include it, because it disengages the opponent, similar to a roll dodge. You are essentially jumping away, not CQCing (lulz) and merely throwing an attack as you retreat. It's an option at close range, but not really the type of fighting I had in mind for this article.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
As a doc main in melee, most of this is commom sense translated into brawl, but nice read!! XD

("boxing" well is pretty much the only way to have a chance against docs hardest matchups)

Things like this make me wish I actually had bawrl

Top Bottom