• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl 1-Stock Ruleset: For Better or For Worse?

How do you feel about the new 1-Stock Ruleset for Brawl?

• I like it.

Votes: 204 42.7%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 124 25.9%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 150 31.4%

• Total voters

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
In other words: it was a coordinated anti-brawl crusade.
As someone who started out on Brawl, I do not at all think the Smash Brothers was an "anti-Brawl crusade." They did not go into production thinking, "Okay guys, we're totally going to take down Brawl with this documentary." It was meant to give insight into how the Smash community came to be, and what it was like at the time, and the fact is that at that time a lot of the major Melee players resented Brawl because it wasn't the same as Melee.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This ruleset did not make Metaknight less boring to watch, so I don't really think it changed much.

It does seem to suit the Brawl playstyle more, though, so there is that.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
People finally found out how to enjoy brawl. It sucks so much people only want to watch one stock.
Thats harsh, but quite true. Brawl is the worst version of smash available, and I don't blame them for wanting to get the derpy brawl people out of the way asap considering how slow brawl matches are due to the crappy physics.
I'm just surprised brawl is still a thing at all.

ElectroLyte

Smash Rookie
1 stock gives a bigger advantage to squirtle and zero suit and diminishes camping but lacks adaptation and the ability to hold a lead. I believe one stock is good for running pools as it forces new players to really put their best out immediately and speeds up the lengthy tourneys, however to keep competition fair for bracket players there should be at least two stocks to add more depth to gameplay

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I maintain 3 stock was a mistake and probably just picked because the ruleset was originally modeled after the SSBM ruleset without really taking into consideration that SSBB is in fact a completely different game that demands totally different considerations.
Indeed, the way I see it Melee is fine at 4 stocks [PM isn't and should be at 3 stocks imo] and Brawl should be at 2. As far as Smash 4 is concerned, all announcements hint towards Smash being somewhere between Brawl and Melee in terms of pace, so I think Melee should stay at 4 stocks, PM and Smash 4 should be at 3 stocks [9 Minutes] and Brawl should be at 2 stocks 6 minutes.

:059:

ElectroLyte

Smash Rookie
1 stock gives a bigger advantage to squirtle and zero suit and diminishes camping but lacks adaptation and the ability to hold a lead. I believe one stock is good for running pools as it forces new players to really put their best out immediately and speeds up the lengthy tourneys, however to keep competition fair for bracket players there should be at least two stocks to add more depth to gameplay

D

Deleted member

Brawl should be played infinite time 99 stock.

Last edited by a moderator:

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
LOL no. It was an objective presentation of what Melee players thought about Brawl, not what the documentary producer thought about Brawl.
It wasn't objective, you only had random biased uninformed statements about Brawl 2008 metagame and no mention about how the new game sparked a lot of interest for the SMASH BROTHERS tournament scene(isn't that what the documentary about). Melee players being salty about their game getting the back seat is just a detail that should have never been blown into proportion like this. If you want to continue playing Melee fine, but don't do it to the detriment of Brawl. It basically had no support at all during all of it's life, a lot of the old school players were busy writing essays at forums about how Brawl metagame will have a "backwards evolution" and whatnot(which isn't even true) but Brawl still managed to be successful despite that. Now it isn't as successful simply because Melee did something that got the general gaming media on it, not only the Smash community.

Anyway I think the ruleset is honestly irrelevant and won't do anything more at this point, goml was a disappointing show, you had some favorites getting upsetted by jank from ontario mks when they should have went much farther in the bracket. While stream monsters agree with one stock so Brawl takes less time, if you actually followed Brawl you would have wanted to see more out of those matches, see Leon adapt, see Xzax not lose the set to frigate, see Ally pulling a comeback vs Nakat with Snake or actually doing stuff with ROB instead of losing the set due to a birthday dsmash. Brawl might not have novelty factor anymore and it's a pretty niche game that you can't easily advertise especially with the advent of Melee and pm but it's still possible, look at SKTAR2, this tournament was after the evo craze but despite the ignorant stream monsters wanting to see mid-level Melee instead, we got viewers simply by focusing on the positive, we shared on twitter about how hype it was, how SMASH at evo means that smash is hype, not only one iteration, and we had people from all over watching a Brawl stream.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
I don't know how to feel about this. I would say that, to start, there needs to be a rethinking of which stages should be available. Second, it should be best of 5 (which I believe it already is) or maybe even of 7. I really like how it allows people to use more characters, but it also gives an advantage to certain characters, namely Zero-Suit (them armor pieces). I, personally, would be okay with that, as ZSS is my second, but I can imagine others might not be too appreciative of it. But my biggest problem is that it has the potential to mess with playstyles that rely on momentum to win. There isn't much opportunity to build it up over 1 stock.
Regardless, my friends and I will give it a shot for awhile to see what we think.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
I don't blame them for wanting to get the derpy brawl people out of the way asap
That's out of line, man. You can say whatever the heck you want about Brawl as a game, but insulting the people who play it is not cool on any level. That's a whole lot of people you're putting down, and you're not a better person just because you don't like their game.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Don't know how much weight my posts carry. I've never been a huge name, but I have played both games for a long time. (Read: melee and brawl)

Brawl is an amazing game! I've put years of my life into it and the brawl community. The game in incredibly deep and very very wide I don't think everything has been touched yet (just like melee) the game and its meta is still changing.

I don't play competitively anymore (life/wife/kid johns)... but I don't know what to think about the 1 stock rule. There are a few things a lot of the top players are saying that I have trouble with though; specifically “there is no/less room for adaptation”. I just don't believe that's true. Brawl is fundamentally a game where you bait, punish and read; it’s very tactical. Every move is (or at least in my opinion should be) made to gain knowledge just as much as it should be about percent or positional advantage.
"How does he react to my safe fair on shield option?"
"How does he react to empty short hops?"
"I can't beat him in a camp game, so how do I shut it down?"
I think the one stock put on MORE pressure to adapt to situations quickly and would likely separate the players who do it to the players who do it very well.

As far as how it affects the tournament scene? Well... I think it will definitely help to normalize match length. Sometimes one group of players’ whole set will end before another's single game is finished. That can literally mean a 10 minute set versus a 30 minute set. So this rule set definitely helps make those matches end at similar times and gives the TO a narrower window to figure out when sets will end and plan the event accordingly

Is it more exciting to watch? It wasn't for me... but smash doesn't need to be a spectator’s sport. It wasn't for almost a decade. What’s more important is whether or not the players are having a good time. THAT is why melee is popular and why brawl is still kicking, and why 64 still have that never die community. Not because of how many people watch the stream, but because people are passionate about playing the game and bettering themselves.

As my babies get older, I’d love to get back into the community and test this stuff out first hand since as of I know I can only really speculate. But I’ve always been very passionate about th ecomunity and would love to see where things go from here.

Also I want to write articles for SmashBoards... where do I sign up?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
As a pure spectator for Brawl, watching one-stock matches definitely solves a major fatigue issue presented by sitting through the three- or two-stock setups.

Three minutes of timer scamming and watching ice climbers blow chilly wind is much more tolerable than six, eight, or nine minutes of it. Considering what a detriment being a stock down from a chain grab at 26% is already, having the match end at a minute thirty is a lot more entertaining than having it end at eight minutes after six and a half minutes of blizzard walls.

It also opens up three new characters in the roster (Solo pokemon), and makes other characters have consistent tools for the length of the match (Lucario, ZSS, Wario, Olimar).

Overall it seems to solve a large number of major problems with the game from a viewer standpoint in a better way than the alternatives.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i personally don't like 1 stock. As quick as it goes, thats just it. Its really dumb imo. Its just really mindless and like they said, theres no adaptation. Theres no sheer joy anymore of winning and completely destrying anyone, and there isnt that feling of saying "you got 3 stocked" etc, which also shows how a player adapted to take that win. Of course melee players will support 1 stock because matches end quicker. And while people try to make the argument that it lets newer players get closer to winning, it does the exact OPPOSITE. They will get destroyed faster, and go 0-2 in about 10-20 minutes. That isn't the kind of change I'm looking for.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
Personally I really enjoyed spectating the 1 stock matches however I don't think I would have fun playing them mainly due to the pressure..not to mention that I do horrible in Brawl to begin with.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Eh, the stock count won't change the poor matchups or the engine and meta of Brawl. It does speed things up, but at the end of the day, it is still Brawl. Nothing wrong with that, I just fail to see how 1 stock will accomplish much outside of speeding up events, and maybe alleviate stock-lead camping. /shrug, I do, however, find it much more entertaining than the normal format.

3 stock Brawl takes way too much time to run a tournament on. It's impractical. Brawl should have done this from the start, or at least cutting it down to 2 stocks would have been nice. Apexes 2012 and 2013 were disasters. The biggest flaws about them were how long Brawl took to complete

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
IMO, once smash 4 drops, nothing can save brawl. Since it can't possibly be less balanced... I hope.

Last edited:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Eh, the stock count won't change the poor matchups or the engine and meta of Brawl. It does speed things up, but at the end of the day, it is still Brawl. Nothing wrong with that, I just fail to see how 1 stock will accomplish much outside of speeding up events, and maybe alleviate stock-lead camping. /shrug, I do, however, find it much more entertaining than the normal format.
Some characters recieve notable consistency that they lack in the normal ruleset for brawl. Lucario doesn't receive a stock-differential aura boost, Olimar doesn't have to respawn and pluck a new pikmin herd, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are actual choices and don't suffer stamina now, Zero Suit Samus keeps her armor pieces for the duration of the match, and Wario gets a more consistent number of wafts.

The other major difference is the value and mental aspect of the game. An old adage in smash goes "Play every stock like it's your last." That is, play as if every decision and every execution is the most crucial for you, or simply "play with 100% of your being." In three-stock Brawl this is how it is approached for the full time -- Players will wait, stand, walk, and generally make for a show about as interesting as a staring match for as long as they can to fatigue their opponent. It is a constant battle of attrition where there are no real winners, just a person who ended out with less fatigue.

With the one-stock matches, this mindset plays into games, rather than stocks, and makes the whole thing go by faster (A total of seven stocks over twenty-one minutes exist, rather than fifteen stocks over twenty four minutes). Instead of Ice Climbers getting a stock lead and stalling out while the opponent tries fervently to gain back a lead with 6:30 on the clock, the match ends at the same place the worthwhile effort does, on the first stock, and at 1:30.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'd prefer to hear your insight on how Brawl can progress. You normally have better contribution.
The best thing that could happen to the Brawl community would be:

1. for the Melee community to take a time machine back to 2013 and not use Brawl as a sacrificial lamb

2. Our pro players to grow a pair and stop being such impudent, selfish children

3. Ban MK (sorry Gheb). This has two effects: first, most of our current top players would quit (thank god) and also MK would be banned.

4. 2-stocks, 6 minutes.

5. Stop arbitrary seeding at local and regional events

I'm really tired of trying to make constructive posts on Smashboards GD about advancing the scene forward. There's too much wrong with Brawl culture to even talk about in a space this big. Too many people who don't understand the first thing about cooking are in the kitchen adding food to the recipe. Being a great Brawl player (or an MK player) doesn't make you a good arbitrator or referee, or a good competitive consultant. I say: **** 'em.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Well that match posted in the article was one of the only entertaining Brawl sets I've ever seen.
So I guess it's good.
But at the same time this is really a band aid solution. I mean it will be fun for a while but eventually when people start winning by basic flukes, people will no longer like the rule set. Also, let's face it: the meta game will stop evolving almost instantly.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
That's out of line, man. You can say whatever the heck you want about Brawl as a game, but insulting the people who play it is not cool on any level. That's a whole lot of people you're putting down, and you're not a better person just because you don't like their game.
Eh. Sometimes I feel like being out of line. I'll acknowledge that it's rude to put down an entire group of people without knowing them even slightly, but they're clinging to a dying game and this format is just evidence of the death of brawl.
So, maybe people who play brawl aren't derpy, but the are making the choice to play an inferior game. You have to understand how that looks to everyone else. (It looks kind of dumb.) It's sad to see people cling to the worst version of something we all love and doing stuff like this just to try to stay relevant.
Just let your game die with grace. It's going to when smash 4 comes out anyway. Brawl was never competitive and this isn't a competitive format.

Cassio

Smash Master
Do tell why.
Setting aside your detachment from the game, you've been one of the unnecessarily biggest outspoken critics of Brawl lately and frequently recommend that the community just let the game die until smash 4. Maybe you stopped doing that, but Im not sure if this is an olive branch or another knock based on how this was written.
LOL no. It was an objective presentation of what Melee players thought about Brawl, not what the documentary producer thought about Brawl.
No...the documentary made absolutely no distinction between melee players and smashers. When I talk to new peeps who've seen it theyre surprised competitive Brawl even exists. Wont say it was intentional but it was poorly done.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
3. Ban MK (sorry Gheb). This has two effects: first, most of our current top players would quit (thank god) and also MK would be banned.
Doesn't matter. The point should be entirely up to the TO's discretion [and the community he represents] and nobody else's. A universal, "statutory" MK ban is a ******** idea, has been a ******** idea and will always be a ******** idea.

That's because Melee players don't see us as part of their community. They see us traitors, LOL
More like, they consider us lower life-forms.

Last edited:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Setting aside your detachment from the game, you've been one of the unnecessarily biggest outspoken critics of Brawl lately and frequently recommend that the community just let the game die until smash 4. Based on how this was written, Im not sure if this is an olive branch or another knock.
This article was meant to be entirely neutral and not to push any agenda except for the concept of #oneunit.

As for my personal opinion, your image of me was pre-1-Stock Ruleset phase. I do not think the Brawl scene will flourish at this rate if they attempt to continue to pursue the 3-stock course. I spent thousands of hours debating, practicing, traveling to tournaments, writing articles and guides, etc. all centered around Brawl. I was heavily invested in Brawl and contributed constantly to the community. Simply because I've detached myself from Brawl does not mean I didn't enjoy the time I spent playing it nor the community who is currently playing it.

Read the article without the tinted glasses. I've kept all personal bias out because including my own bias would make this a pro-Brawl article. I'm sorry if you don't think I'm qualified to speak on behalf of a part of the Brawl's movement, but I respectfully disagree.

Last edited:
And in Omni's defense, how biased would it seem if Doom or TO Joe, the biggest proponents of 1-stock Brawl, wrote this article?

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
Eh. Sometimes I feel like being out of line. I'll acknowledge that it's rude to put down an entire group of people without knowing them even slightly, but they're clinging to a dying game and this format is just evidence of the death of brawl.
So, maybe people who play brawl aren't derpy, but the are making the choice to play an inferior game. You have to understand how that looks to everyone else. (It looks kind of dumb.) It's sad to see people cling to the worst version of something we all love and doing stuff like this just to try to stay relevant.
Just let your game die with grace. It's going to when smash 4 comes out anyway. Brawl was never competitive and this isn't a competitive format.
Obviously, to them Brawl isn't inferior. Just because it is to you or whatever statistics you tout does not mean it is for everyone, everywhere. People have different priorities for gameplay, and it is quite apparent that theirs are a world or two away from yours. That doesn't mean they are wrong or you are wrong, it just means you have different opinions. These kinds of things are a matter of perspective, just like basically everything else in the world.

I don't care what you think about Brawl or where it's going. You can feel free to keep your biased Melee elitist complex. But you don't need to make other people feel crappy about themselves (yes, that is what ****ty, negative statements like yours do to people) because of your differences. Try to be a bit civil; just because nobody knows who you are on the internet doesn't give you free reign to be an ass.

The way I see it, the fact that this article exists - and that a bunch of Brawl players have already commented on it, both for and against - is evidence that Brawl is not dead, or even dying. Statistically it is less-popular than Melee, yes, but "smaller" is not the same as "dead."

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
No...the documentary made absolutely no distinction between melee players and smashers. When I talk to new peeps who've seen it theyre surprised competitive Brawl even exists. Wont say it was intentional but it was poorly done.
Concerning that smashers at large also express qualms for Brawl as a competitive game, no, it isn't biased. It's an accurate representation of how Melee and the smash scene at large felt when Brawl was released. It is saying what happened: People left the scene, the community was split, and many players did not enjoy Brawl's gameplay. These are all factual things that occurred.

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
Read the article without the tinted glasses. I've kept all personal bias out because including my own bias would make this a pro-Brawl article. I'm sorry if you don't think I'm qualified to speak on behalf of a part of the Brawl's movement, but I respectfully disagree.
Well thats fine. I admit I read this with a tint based on previous things

And I understand if people dont like or hate Brawl, I only have a problem with it if people are so vocal it harms the community.
Concerning that smashers at large also express qualms for Brawl as a competitive game, no, it isn't biased.
Wrong. Stop trying to justify it rofl, even people in the documentary who made comments said it wasnt right after.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Or, you can just report the little punk and move on. That is, if the mods do their job and slam people that are being jerks like that.

Not cool.

Cassio

Smash Master
Also Im not against 1-stock or 2-stock. I feel certain its not as competitively rigorous, but seeing that people seem to like it or that it has broader appeal makes me more inclined to like it.

My worry is that its just a gimmick and that after people get over the novelty thing will just be back to what they were before. Not that it will but Im not sure it wont either.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
This thread smells like documentary kids

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
And in Omni's defense, how biased would it seem if Doom or TO Joe, the biggest proponents of 1-stock Brawl, wrote this article?
That's not a legit defense. If Cassio's accusation is that Omni is traditionally biased against Brawl then it's not enough to point fingers at others with the assumption that they'd be just as biased. I do not doubt that Doom or TO Joe would be naturally prone to write a biased article on the whole subject but that doesn't defend Omni in any way. He did defend himself quite solidly by pointing out his contributions for the community though.

That's not a legit defense. If Cassio's accusation is that Omni is traditionally biased against Brawl then it's not enough to point fingers at others with the assumption that they'd be just as biased. I do not doubt that Doom or TO Joe would be naturally prone to write a biased article on the whole subject but that doesn't defend Omni in any way. He did defend himself quite solidly by pointing out his contributions for the community though.

Yeah you have a point.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
My worry is that its just a gimmick and that after people get over the novelty thing will just be back to what they were before. Not that it will but Im not sure it wont either.
If the concern is that the novelty of 1-stock matches will wear thin of its appeal from the spectator's standpoint, at the very least it should be acknowledged that the format leads to faster sets that end around consistent times in a tournament setting. It may very well fall back to the same situation with the same metagame with no core change to the game itself, which is fine. In that scenario there are strictly advantages to the format over the old ways.

So far there is about one sample data for the format, and the result of it are hardly different from those of the previous ruleset. Jason takes first with Metaknight, a couple of Ice Climbers, Olimar, and ally's Snake round out the rest of the top five. If this trend continues, the only thing to be concluded is that the ruleset has no major impact on the metagame, and is strictly better in regards to tournament completion and (At least for a time) spectator enjoyment.

Also Im not against 1-stock or 2-stock. I feel certain its not as competitively rigorous, but seeing that people seem to like it or that it has broader appeal makes me more inclined to like it.
This part, however, is a little odd. Just because more people like something or that it has broad appeal should not influence how you feel about the setup. "I don't like the 1-stock format because it causes a change in how Zero Suit Samus's metagame exists" is an arguable position and acceptable opinion. "I don't like the 1-stock format because it isn't popular or liked by the community" is not.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I would rather see the game I love die than see its ruleset being catered to the people who have never cared for the game before or have spent the past 6 years bashing it.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
The only reason the positive reviews were given by the listed players, was because they were already strong supporters of the tournament idea.

Some of which actually made the change to the tournament rule set.

Melee players like it because it made Brawl more "fast paced".

I won't deny that it's better to welcome newer players in with this rule set, but that's because it makes the skill gap between players much less noticeable.

The more stocks in the game, the skip gap will show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom