• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Character Balance : Character 6: ICE CLIMBERS (LAST THOUGHTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I think that the infinites should definately be out. How can someone think one grab = death is fair?
I believe that it can be fair and that it can be good for the game. The issue for me is the repetitiveness of it and the fact that it can last forever, it makes the whole thing look sloppy. By the end of this I want them to still have the best throw combos in the game with 0% to death still not being that uncommon. Full life combos are not bad for a games competitive scene depending on a few things. How long does it last to get through the entire life? How easy is it to start? Does it ever a stopping point? These questions are important when deciding if these things are okay for a game. Since this isn't a traditional fighter it really matters that it has a stopping point and I think the alternate grabs are bad for the game because of it. I would like change throws to be DIable but still not have guaranteed way to escape and if the opponent somehow manages to tech roll in between parts of it, I want the opponent to be put at a huge disadvantage. But they need more than that to be good in brawl+.

There really needs to be more things that cause desyncing. If there were more times when Nana could be dysynced than they would be a lot scarier. Hopefully some of the special move effects can help put more hitlag or shieldstun on the opponent. If both these changes turn out to be possible it will make it so with Ice Climbers can get grabs easier by having Nana trap people in their shields after a desync and then having Nana grabbing.

However, at the risk of sounding hypocritical, this is where you need to take player skill in to consideration. This is not a solid, sound proof argument as player skill varies as is subjective depending upon a whole assortment of variables, however. Most IC mains (good ones like Ambrose and Lain) can do it consistently, but that does not mean they can continue indefinitely. The likely hood is that they will in fact mess up at some percent, and the most important goal is to land a kill rather than stall the match, since continuing the CG at a percent higher than needed only serves to put the IC at risk should they mess up and release their opponent.
I have made this argument when arguing to keep wobbling from being banned at local tournaments. If this was only about keeping this tactic in for a tournament I would be all for its use. However, I feel that in this situation we are trying to make the game better and the character better. We have a chance to make the character's playstyle more diverse, and overall more effective and unique. Buffing their ability to do separate actions and use this to get grabs easier would do wonders for them. Giving them new tools to do huge chaingrabs, though not ones that are completely inescapable, could easily make up for the removal of their infinite.

I definitely want to keep their chaingrabbing game in tact but change it up so it keeps both players on their noes the whole way through (when still giving the ice climbers completely advantage), and make more use of more of the ice climbers attacks. But I don't want them just to be a one trick pony, desyncing has to be buffed and made to easily transition into the chainthrowing loops in certain circumstances. This would keep the match interesting and give the ice climbers some advantages even before the grab is made. By the end of all of it, I think this would make Ice Climbers a much better character.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
So if you're going to take out CGs, it's there something that Brawl+ can make so that you can't grab a person in a certain animation?

To clear my explaination up, it's like the super armor frames for grabs, you can grab them, but you won't be able to actually hold them and do a CG but they can still attack and air dodge whatnot. So after a grab by a climber, the other climber cannot regrab them, but can do other attacks to them. Does Brawl+ has something like that 0.0
I came up with a way to fix the IC infinite without affecting anything else they can do, which is fairly simple (well, maybe not to code =p ), and wouldn't screw up a ton of other things, like what you're suggesting. Put simply, for "x" number of frames after popo throws, nana cannot grab. Then we buff whatever else they need to make up for it.

Smash Master
Let's not make all the characters the same. I prefer to keep the unique attributes of each. For IC's, that means a great grab game and not much else. If it makes everyone feel better I wouldn't care if Nana's upthrow had death knockback so we didn't have to go through the motions of an infinite, but to take the one thing out of their game that makes them unique to impose other, generic buffs just defeats the purpose of a 39 character roster, IMO.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Have you looked at Cape's suggestions? Most of them are grab-centric and unique, hardly generic.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Lain's post is very important.
I've already stated that I am for the IC infinite. It is the only good thing about them and very hard to pull off especially with some of the new anti grab mechanics we have in place. (shield stun)

read the following section.

2 Concerns this and only this. One for each side

If we do have the CG, I have the feeling some TO's will ban the IC infinite taking away the only thing holding them up to viability status. Certainly that is not fair to IC mains at that venue.

On the other hand. Taking away the CG could be bad now. We don't have the tools yet to do a major remake like IC. We can't figure out throws. Not all the ID's are known. And we know very little about how the character plays in B+. We need extensive testing on the character before we do this and I don't think we have enough people who play IC's in B+ right now.

Because we don't have all the tools or all the knowledge
We are not ready yet to make this decision.

I don't know how I feel about the future but I can tell you right now we SHOULD NOT TAKE IT OUT UNLESS YOU PLAN TO TEST THEM

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Let's not make all the characters the same. I prefer to keep the unique attributes of each. For IC's, that means a great grab game and not much else. If it makes everyone feel better I wouldn't care if Nana's upthrow had death knockback so we didn't have to go through the motions of an infinite, but to take the one thing out of their game that makes them unique to impose other, generic buffs just defeats the purpose of a 39 character roster, IMO.
We aren't arguing to make them less unique. Many of us still want them to have the scariest chainthrows in the game by far, we just want to give the opponent a reason to at least attempt to DI and have it so the chainthrow wouldn't have the ability to technically go on forever. The buffs suggested, with the exception of a few GTFO buffs (if might be needed for make them viable in teams matches), have all had reasons behind them to keep the characters unique and improve their strong points. I don't see how buffing their desyncing ability makes them less unique of a character, and it makes their grab games scarier and would make them more difficult to approach overall (which has been their huge problem in brawl+). But it doesn't kill this weakness completely, which is also a good thing, because the ice climbers need to have at least a little set up to be able to desync which makes some of their actions a bit more predictable and punishable.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
No one is proposing getting rid of their grab game altogether, rather making it (or at least the infinite) less of the focus around the development of their metagame. I personally was promoting redevelopment of their metagame in b+ so that maybe the infinite/cg wouldn't be missed so much.

Lain's post is very important.
I've already stated that I am for the IC infinite. It is the only good thing about them
I don't think that can really be argued for Brawl+. That might be entirely true to vBrawl (I couldn't say because I've not seen anyone use IC and not revolve around grabs) but we can change nearly anything about them to make them more viable so that, at the least, grabbing isn't the main/only thing their metagame is based around.

On the other hand. Taking away the CG could be bad now. We don't have the tools yet to do a major remake like IC. We can't figure out throws. Not all the ID's are known. And we know very little about how the character plays in B+.
We still have the tools to toy with buffs related to their other attacks so that when the time comes we can make changes to throws, and we'll know whether the buffs suggested are enough to compensate for the loss of their -1 stock grabbing.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Can we please just listen to Ulevo? I mean, his posts are win, and have no flaws.

I have nothing more to contribute there's nothing more to say really. I mean, Ulevo, your posts are awesome right now. He's said everything needed to be said.

Edit: Oh, and what Team Giza said

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Ulevo and Team Giza are arguing opposite points... which do you actually agree with?

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Ulevo and Team Giza are arguing opposite points... which do you actually agree with?
What w00t? *embarassed*

I want the CG to be in there, it would makes IC-matches interesting since the opponent would be all "Oh dear God don't grab me, don't grab me!"

There's also the "counter" dito-IC, that eliminates the CG's. I don't think that brought much to the discussion though...

I played the IC's for a while though, and I know opponents get really annoyed by the CG's. But I think it's just a manner of learning to avoid the grabs. And Ulevo said that getting a grab with IC's is really difficult now in Brawl+, so I go with him.

However, I also agree with Team Giza and what someone else, I think cape, said a while ago, that the CG's should have to be mixed with other moves which means taking out the throw->throw stuff, which would be nice.

I don't agree on the point that there's nothing you can do while being grabbed, A thread was made a while ago on how to escape a grab, and with the proper input I think little misstake is required for the CG to end if we take away the throw->throw stuff. (Edit: this is the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209846)

But, again, as Ulevo said, they need more options beside from their CG's, and that list of things in the beginning was a pretty good idea.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
We will keep the chaingrab, we just want to get rid of the infinite.

Chaingrabbing is the essence of IC, and we want to keep that. Cape made several suggestions to making their CG game scary.

What we don't want, and what Ulevo wants, is an infinite that is completely dependent on the attacker's skill and nothing else. We don't want the unDIable infinite, as it doesn't give the defender any chance of defending himself from it.

Any other 0-death combo is due to reading of DI and prediction. The infinite is due to being able to pull it off. The fact that the defender has no chance of getting out of it is ridiculous.

Also, I've tested it, and Bowser's buffed Fsmash, fully charged, kills mario from the middle of FD at 15% or so, thus the arguement of Bowser's fsmash isn't a good one.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Anyway, in response to nobody in particular, the point I want to make is:

Why have a character that is useless they land a grab, and when they land a grab, it causes the other player to have completely no input over what happens to their character.

This is just bad game design, we should turn the Ice Climbers into an actual character that doesn't rely on one attack. The grab does not even make them high on the tier list! They need to be fixed.

cman

Smash Ace
That's what stalling rules are for.
And Jigglypuff floating below the stage with Pound is no different. This is in fact worse. This is why we have judges.
Oh god, are you guys actually arguing that those rediclous stalling rules, and forcing judges to decide the outcomes are actually good for a tournament? Why would we keep the most vague and unenforceable rules in the ruleset if we don't have to?

A goal of B+ should be to remove the need for judges altogether.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I see the arguments starting to become cyclical -- I think that at this point, the best thing to do would be to actually code Cape's suggestions (any other good ones?) and get some IC mains to play around with them. I'm half working / half writing right now, but I'd have some time to help with this on Tuesday.

And just to top off the destruction of the Boozer f-smash analogy, only the final hitbox of the f-smash (there are many) will destroy you with fire. I've hit someone with one of the hitboxes near the end (in several matches) a couple days ago and they lived at ~60%. I don't know if we want to fix this or leave it, just pointing that out.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
So (I know, I don't want the discussion to go on forever that's all), how 'bout this:

IC's right now depend on their grab too much, which makes them silly. We should buff their ability to be what they're supposed too, two characters cooperating and comboing. However, we take away CG's that are inescapable but still let them have a good grab game so going for a grab, as hard as it is with the IC's, will still be worth it.

I probably missed something, but to me that sounds good.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Unlike King Dedede, or other said characters, IC have requirements other than simply grabbing the opponent in order to have the "infinites" start, let alone work. This also means there are a multitude of exploiting options to prevent these requirements from being met, and thus avoiding the "infinite" from taking place.
Dedede's infinite on those characters required them to be above a certain percentage and have his down+throw not be too staled out for it to be continued as an infinite. In this way, Dedede's infinite on those characters should be brought back simply because of its requirements. I do not think it should be and I don't think we should make an exception which would leave in something with bad game design to brawl+ just because it was useful for the character in vBrawl.

Also, I'd like to outline that the IC also have significantly inferior grab range to many of the other characters who hold an infinite on another character. Characters like Marth, Charizard, Yoshi, and especially King Dedede far exceed the grab range and grab game of the IC. This also holds weight in the differences between the IC and other characters with potential "infinites".
Stop putting infinites in quotes. Ice Climber's alternating grabs are a true infinite and there is no denying it. Considering the Smash Bros gameplay infinites will always be bad game design unless they can only go in one direction and do not work against walls which one could argue that this wouldnt be an infinite, but if it was on a homerun contest stage it would be able to be continued forever thus the title would be rightfully made. But the Ice Climber infinite isn't like this, you can move them back and forth across the field. It is terrible design for the game even if it was good and wasn't broken in vBrawl it is still something we should look to replace in brawl+.

Now, what are the reasons for removing the other infinites? Obviously it isn't because "infinites are gay". We would be stupid to assume this, right? So what are the reasons?
Infinites are bad design in a smash game except for in the one example I described when it could be okay. But the Ice Climbers infinite does not fall under this category and leaves no reason for the opponent to even attempt to escape. It is a horrible in terms of game design and should not be allowed to stay in Brawl+.

Ice Climbers, currently, are not dominating vBrawl, despite them having an "infinite" on every character. They sit on the bottom of C Tier on the SBR-B Brawl Tier List v2.0, and are ranked 10th currently in Ankokus Character Rankings List. This clearly outlines that not only are they not a threat to the meta game, but they are not even a dominating force, despite the tactics available to them.
Just because they are not dominating does not mean the infinite is terrible game design. Nor does it mean that the concept is no fundamentally broken. You are approaching this discussion as if we are talking about allowing it at a tournament. If that was the case I would agree with you that it should be allowed. But that's not what we are discussing. We are talking about fixing a game, making it better, redesigning aspects that need to be fixed. Since the alternating throws are bad game design at their core they should be removed and replaced with tactics that have very similar effects without all the issues that are tied into the infinites. We have the ability to make this work.

"But this isn't vBrawl Ulevo, this is Brawl Plus" you say. Well correct you are! So what are the outlining differences here? Well, lets look at some of the reasons why the Ice Climbers CG's were arguably effective in vBrawl.

- Low shield stun, allowing for power shield grabs
- Low shield push back, allowing for dash grabs after a quick shield drop
- No methods to reduce attack lag, allowing for opportunities to grab from approaching opponents

[sum]stuff explaining why ice climbers are worse off in brawl+[/sum]
This isn't vBrawl. This is Brawl+, and we are its designers. We have the ability to fix the broken aspects of the game and replace them with tactics that will act very similarly but without all the little problems. Yes, Ice Climbers need work but letting them have a crutch in bad game design is not how we should go about it. There ability to get the infinite in has been nerfed but that doesn't mean the infinite itself is no longer a case of fundamental failure in terms of game design. Do you think it would be impossible to fix the ice climbers while retaining many of their defining strength, weaknesses, and unique qualities if the alternate throw infinite was gone?

Or if you want the short form, removing the infinite is competitively pointless at this time, and will only serve to hurt the character. For those of you wanting to get rid of the tactic for the IC because it is "gay", I strongly suggest you reevaluate your entire reasoning on this, as it has yet to come to fruition as to why this should be done in any logical manner at all.
But this wasn't the reasoning for what most people were posting. Alternate grab infinites are bad design, I don't mind them having 0% to death chainthrows as long as they don't have the terrible design alt grabs did. We have the ability to give them that, and help their desyncing game flow into this better.

Don't get grabbed.
Its nice to agree on something. Now lets make it so Ice Climbers desyncs make their ability to get grabs in a little scarier.

Thank you. That would definitely be a good goal to keep in mind.

I see the arguments starting to become cyclical -- I think that at this point, the best thing to do would be to actually code Cape's suggestions (any other good ones?) and get some IC mains to play around with them.
Busy with this as I post. Hopefully we will be able to test out Ice Climbers with these fixes in a future beta. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can make them do.

Also to address GHNeko's idea on increasing the delay for Nana's input, I think it would be an good thing to try out. There are other methods I wish to explore for better desyncs but this seems like a good one as well.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Dedede's infinite on those characters required them to be above a certain percentage and have his down+throw not be too staled out for it to be continued as an infinite. In this way, Dedede's infinite on those characters should be brought back simply because of its requirements. I do not think it should be and I don't think we should make an exception which would leave in something with bad game design to brawl+ just because it was useful for the character in vBrawl.
I would also like to add that DDDs wall infinite has a requirement also...a wall.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I would also like to add that DDDs wall infinite has a requirement also...a wall.
To be fair, this falls into the category of messing up stages being legal. And my example can go under messing up certain match ups too match but since it only works over 70% to be a true infinite and downthrow cannot be decayed for it to work it would fall under the very situational category unlike yours. So under Ulevo categorization it would be different. Not that I agree with the categorization reasoning Ulevo gives as why these things should be removed.

I do think its important to remember that some tournaments have banned the Ice Climbers alt throws to be used, and other tournaments have restricted it to only being able to do it 3 throws in a row.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
If the infinites are removed, how would the other cgs be retained? Because there's NO WAY that you can get rid of all of ICs cgs and still use them in competitive play...unless their fsmash kills at like 60% on everyone or something stupid like that.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
If the infinites are removed, how would the other cgs be retained? Because there's NO WAY that you can get rid of all of ICs cgs and still use them in competitive play...unless their fsmash kills at like 60% on everyone or something stupid like that.
Alter the way the current ones work or give them new ones when we can modify throws, I would guess.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
As long as they aren't infinites I am fine with almost any other chaingrab they might gain. Some of their others give you a small chance to smash DI out of from what I have read so those are fine with me.

kupo15

Smash Hero
To be fair, this falls into the category of messing up stages being legal. And my example can go under messing up certain match ups too match but since it only works over 70% to be a true infinite and downthrow cannot be decayed for it to work it would fall under the very situational category unlike yours. So under Ulevo categorization it would be different. Not that I agree with the categorization reasoning Ulevo gives as why these things should be removed.

I do think its important to remember that some tournaments have banned the Ice Climbers alt throws to be used, and other tournaments have restricted it to only being able to do it 3 throws in a row.
Ah ok. But yea, that presents a problem. If some tourneys ban alt throws, then this is a disadvantage to the ICers that we are gambling if we choose not to act. However, if we do go ahead and remove the infinite and buff them instead, they never have to worry about the viability of their character by praying that the infinite is not banned.

Ulevo

Smash Master
What we don't want, and what Ulevo wants, is an infinite that is completely dependent on the attacker's skill and nothing else.
It is both the IC main and the opponents responsibility to determine what the outcome is in a match, even with regards to the infinite being used. There are requirements, I've outlined them. It isn't one players discretion that decides whether or not the infinite works, or if it ultimately leads to win the match.

We don't want the unDIable infinite, as it doesn't give the defender any chance of defending himself from it.
You defend yourself by preventing the grab. Plain and simple. Jigglypuff can currently kill almost any character from a varying 0 - 40% in this game right now, and the only way to prevent that from occuring is to avoid Rest. I am capable, along with any other play, to mash out at around the same percent range to avoid an infinite, which ultimately leads to the same out come. How do you avoid this? You avoid the grab.

Once you're caught in a tactic or strategy, you're screwed almost 90% of the time in any fighter, including Smash. You need to prevent yourself from being caught in those techniques, strats and combos, not whine about how you can't escape them once you're caught.

Any other 0-death combo is due to reading of DI and prediction. The infinite is due to being able to pull it off. The fact that the defender has no chance of getting out of it is ridiculous.
The CG isn't 0% to death. You can mash out at lower percents as I have already stated. You act as if DI is hard to read, and that most of the time you'll be safe from harm in a combo. You won't. And most combos don't kill you, they merely add %, but they are significantly easier to set up in most circumstances in comparison to the CGs. You're pretending as if this is a tactic without flaw that is overwhelming. If it were, it would have been proven so in the previous two games, Brawl and Melee, and it has yet to be.

Also, I've tested it, and Bowser's buffed Fsmash, fully charged, kills mario from the middle of FD at 15% or so, thus the arguement of Bowser's fsmash isn't a good one.
The point was never about whether or not the FSmash actually does kill 100% guaranteed. Like I said, I took the context from another poster. The point was that if a move automatically kills you, it does not inherently make it broken. It is the process of set up and execution that determines how useful, and thus how powerful the technique is.

Anyway, in response to nobody in particular, the point I want to make is:

Why have a character that is useless they land a grab, and when they land a grab, it causes the other player to have completely no input over what happens to their character.

This is just bad game design, we should turn the Ice Climbers into an actual character that doesn't rely on one attack. The grab does not even make them high on the tier list! They need to be fixed.
They are no useless unless a grab is landed. They have desynch strategies and techniques, along with a solid projectile, decent recovery, massive damage out put, and a few other redeeming qualities. They are just not up to par (presumably) with other characters who are likely sitting in high tier right now. Removing the infinite will only serve to hurt the character, and removing it with substitutes for other buffs is... meaningless. You're doing it only because you want to. There's no other competitive explanation for why it actually needs to happen.

You claim the infinite is bad design, when really the infinite does nothing to harm the competition of the game, which is the only thing we should be concerned about in this topic. Characters have no issues dealing with the IC, and with a few alterations I am sure the IC could deal with other higher placed characters as well.

Oh god, are you guys actually arguing that those rediclous stalling rules, and forcing judges to decide the outcomes are actually good for a tournament? Why would we keep the most vague and unenforceable rules in the ruleset if we don't have to?

I never stated needed a judge to make decisions on a match was ever a good thing. But the bottom line is that unless we make severe alterations to this game, we will need judges to make decisions like this should they arise. We can remove obvious and common occurrences like planking, but to remove stalls under stages and other such problems would involve either changing a lot of characters quite severely or completely altering stages to be nothing of their original design.

Removing a defining aspect of a character for the sake of keeping the judges happy when this is almost never (if it has ever been) an occurrence in a tournament setting is not something we should do when the characters are at the heart of this game.

And if need be, we can place a code to ensure the CG only works until x percent.

You are correct in stating that Dedede did have these requirements, but the requirements for this to occur are minimal in comparison to what the IC need in order to accomplish the tactic. Let alone the fact King Dedede was a significantly better character overall without the infinite.

Stop putting infinites in quotes. Ice Climber's alternating grabs are a true infinite and there is no denying it. Considering the Smash Bros gameplay infinites will always be bad game design unless they can only go in one direction and do not work against walls which one could argue that this wouldnt be an infinite, but if it was on a homerun contest stage it would be able to be continued forever thus the title would be rightfully made. But the Ice Climber infinite isn't like this, you can move them back and forth across the field. It is terrible design for the game even if it was good and wasn't broken in vBrawl it is still something we should look to replace in brawl+.
If it isn't broken, doesn't distort match ups between characters, and doesn't negatively effect the character using the tactic, why do we need to remove it? You're claiming it is bad design as if it means something, meanwhile you can't justify this fact for any of these qualities that could threaten the game competitively. If the IC didn't have requirements to achieve this technique, requirements that are hard to set up and are easy to exploit, this might arguable.

Infinites are bad design in a smash game except for in the one example I described when it could be okay. But the Ice Climbers infinite does not fall under this category and leaves no reason for the opponent to even attempt to escape. It is a horrible in terms of game design and should not be allowed to stay in Brawl+.
Nice statement. Nice, vague statement.

By the way, flying is a bad game design. In a game where you're supposed to win by knocking the opponent off stage, flying is poor design for a character. It doesn't matter if the characters who can fly aren't broken, or if they don't make inclined match ups for those characters, it's still poor design. Lets remove it, because its bad design.

Please make justifications that makes sense Giza.

Just because they are not dominating does not mean the infinite is terrible game design.
Yes it does. If it needed fixing, it would clearly prove so.

Nor does it mean that the concept is no fundamentally broken.
Do you even know what the term broken is? Throwing the word fundamentally before it doesn't change the meaning. Broken is used to describe overpowered, centralizing tactics that make all other strategies, characters, techniques, stages, (or very, very few of them) obsolete and pointless competitively. If I gave Ike 0 start up and recovery time on his FSmash and made it kill at 0%, making him the only character to realistically win a tournament, that would be broken.

A CG infinite that requires strict set up prerequisites that ****s you over because you weren't paying attention in a match that clearly doesn't over centralize isn't broken.

You are approaching this discussion as if we are talking about allowing it at a tournament. If that was the case I would agree with you that it should be allowed. But that's not what we are discussing. We are talking about fixing a game, making it better, redesigning aspects that need to be fixed.
Yeah, I'm still waiting on a justification on why the infinites need to be "fixed". And by fixed, you mean removed. They do nothing to harm the competitive aspects of this game except for theoretically stalling a match, meanwhile we have the means to prevent that at higher percents without out right removing the technique. All based on what the IC "should be like".

Since the alternating throws are bad game design at their core they should be removed and replaced with tactics that have very similar effects without all the issues that are tied into the infinites. We have the ability to make this work.
There you go again throwing around "bad game design". Tripping is bad game design.

This isn't vBrawl. This is Brawl+, and we are its designers. We have the ability to fix the broken aspects of the game and replace them with tactics that will act very similarly but without all the little problems.
What IC are we talking about here? I wasn't aware there was a broken version of the IC in Brawl Plus. I thought they just had an CG infinite.

Yes, Ice Climbers need work but letting them have a crutch in bad game design is not how we should go about it.
A crutch? It's a **** technique. It's part of their gameplay, and does nothing but benefit them.

There ability to get the infinite in has been nerfed but that doesn't mean the infinite itself is no longer a case of fundamental failure in terms of game design.
Which you have yet to elaborate on.

Do you think it would be impossible to fix the ice climbers while retaining many of their defining strength, weaknesses, and unique qualities if the alternate throw infinite was gone?
No. I believe we can recreate, alter, and change any character in any fashion we see fit. That doesn't mean we should. Sadly enough, people are discussing things like giving Toon Link ice attribute arrows. For no competitive reason. We can do it. We can change anything (well, to an extent). But if you want a good, solid competitive game that is balanced and well made, you need to make decisions based on logic, not "oh I think this character should play this way because of this reason" or "I don't like this, lets change it".

But this wasn't the reasoning for what most people were posting. Alternate grab infinites are bad design, I don't mind them having 0% to death chainthrows as long as they don't have the terrible design alt grabs did. We have the ability to give them that, and help their desyncing game flow into this better.
First off, they're not 0% to death. They're merely "infinite", which I put in quotes because it merely lasts for 8 minutes at most in theory (but whatever, that's irrelevant).

So, let me ask you something. Why are you suggesting to alter these grabs if you do not mind them having a 0% to death grab combo/technique if the only difference between what you could be proposing is what we have now, which has only one underlying difference being stalling, when we can simply prevent the infinite from occurring at a certain percent cap?

I am not trying to insult or offense, but almost all of these points being brought up in this entire thread have been nothing but personal whim on what they would prefer to have IC play as, meanwhile doing nothing to think about how it is they play competitively. This isn't rocket science. If they have a broken tactic, we fix it. If they pose 7-3 ratio match ups or worse against specific characters, we fix it. If the technique makes them worse as a character, we fix it. If it centralizes the game, or makes other strategies/characters/maps obsolete, we fix it. The infinite does none of this. And yet a change is in order? This defies how we should be going about reconstructing this game, and it seriously makes me reconsider even being a part of this. It is sad to believe that the game can be altered or change "just because I feel like it" with no competitive sense or reason that makes actual sense.

kupo15

Smash Hero
By the way, flying is a bad game design. In a game where you're supposed to win by knocking the opponent off stage, flying is poor design for a character. It doesn't matter if the characters who can fly aren't broken, or if they don't make inclined match ups for those characters, it's still poor design. Lets remove it, because its bad design.
I wholeheartedly agree to this btw. Lets remove flying. I'm serious. (I wish we could)

I hope they don't give TL ice arrows. If you want to stylize characters, sure I guess, but ice arrows actually do something

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'd consider an infinite, especially one where the defense has no counter to it once it has started, is a bad idea and poor design. It's like removing the shot clock in the NBA or Downs in the NFL. Sure, you can say 'Don't let the other team get ahead of you' (don't get grabbed) or 'force a fumble or turnover' (don't get grabbed) but they are unrealistic expectations.

Personally, I'm torn on the issue. Either way, I'm not getting involved, I'll be collecting a list of how both sides stand here soon. The arguements are getting circular and repetitive. This is quite the controversial topic...

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
I am not trying to insult or offense, but almost all of these points being brought up in this entire thread have been nothing but personal whim on what they would prefer to have IC play as, meanwhile doing nothing to think about how it is they play competitively. This isn't rocket science. If they have a broken tactic, we fix it. If they pose 7-3 ratio match ups or worse against specific characters, we fix it. If the technique makes them worse as a character, we fix it. If it centralizes the game, or makes other strategies/characters/maps obsolete, we fix it. The infinite does none of this. And yet a change is in order? This defies how we should be going about reconstructing this game, and it seriously makes me reconsider even being a part of this. It is sad to believe that the game can be altered or change "just because I feel like it" with no competitive sense or reason that makes actual sense.
If that is to be the criteria for changing their grab, we couldn't make changes at this juncture because we have no data to show whether one sided matchups from vBrawl are still just as bad. I know that in vBrawl Ganon vs a competent IC main was almost a pointless fight because Ganon has no safe pokes. You brought up in an earlier post that because of shieldstun they could no longer grab out of shield, but afaik there's no video evidence to back this up, and no matchup examples to show that previous matchups that were terribly skewed in their favor are no long such. Until we have some sort of evidence to show one way or the other we're pretty much stuck either leaving them or getting rid of them, possibly temporarily.
Since that is the case, why not try out evolving them around something other than their grabgame till a later date when we have said evidence?

Do the IC still warrant buffs if we keep the infinite/cgs?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You have a very narrow mind if you think ICs would be useless if they didn't have any CGs, especially after the suggestions The Cape said on pg 1.

The ICs would still be viable, but we're trying to get rid of all CGs, just the pass back and forth infinite. Regular CGs are very different than the IC infinite, and a regular CG could easily still be in.

ROB doesn't have a CG and he's one of the best characters in the game imo.

They are hardly based on just personal whim. I could say the same for you however, but the fact that you are so closed minded about so unwilling to budge failing to see anything from our side of the argument (while anti-infinite players have acknowledged why it could be legal) is also not good.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
You have a very narrow mind if you think ICs would be useless if they didn't have any CGs, especially after the suggestions The Cape said on pg 1.
Talk to Ambrose and lain about it, I'm sure that they'd disagree. Maybe not useless, but their game becomes completely different. Getting rid of infinites makes their game quite different, but getting rid of all of their cgs is just absurd. Besides, has anyone ever had a problem with the normal cgs? Even in the Melee days? Didn't think so.

The ICs would still be viable, but we're trying to get rid of all CGs, just the pass back and forth infinite. Regular CGs are very different than the IC infinite, and a regular CG could easily still be in.

Yes, that's what I said. What I asked was "How would you be able to get rid of the infinite without altering the original cgs?" I'm sure it's possible, I just would like to know how lol.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Make the CG's DIable. Make it where its possible to escape at higher percents. Don't make it a 1 Player game, cause the defender has no reason to be holding their controller once they are grabbed.

I say make some test betas of what Cape has said.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Team Giza's already working on it. If there's anything left on Tuesday I'm going to help the coding process.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ulevo, you are correct by saying that the Infinite doesn't over centralize the metagame and is not dominating. But it is a technique that over centralizes the ICers as it is their dominant tactic that as lain (I think it was him) said that the ICers suck without their infinites. So seeing how this still doesn't help them place well nor does it hurt the metagame, this means that ICers needs a buff to become more viable.

But can you see that by keeping the infinites, you actually are nerfing them? You hurt ICers because by keeping the infinite in there, you are having every ICer run the the risk of that technique being banned depending on the tourney you go too. It will really hurt them when a technique that is key to ICers gameplay is banned. Heck, Chudat banned the ICers infinite in his tourneys and says that he will stop regularly hosting Brawl+ if infinites are present throughout the game.

The alternative would be to remove the infinite and buff the ICers to keep some sort of unbannable CG tactic. This will ensure that the ICers have a consistent gameplay that is not dependent on the tourney they go to and it also means that they will never have to risk losing a valuable tactic without anything to fall back on. This I feel is a better path for the ICer.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yes, that's what I said. What I asked was "How would you be able to get rid of the infinite without altering the original cgs?" I'm sure it's possible, I just would like to know how lol.
Whoops lol, but yea, im sure it would be really easy.
IC Infinite CG is done by grabbing the moment they are thrown.
Regular CGs have time in between the regrab.

Making it so Nana can't grab right after Popo throws (by like 20 frames maybe?) make it so any character can't be grabbed again within 20 frames of being thrown (since this won't effect anyone except ICs)

Ulevo

Smash Master
I wholeheartedly agree to this btw. Lets remove flying. I'm serious. (I wish we could)
Kupo, I was being sarcastic. :ohwell:

If that is to be the criteria for changing their grab, we couldn't make changes at this juncture because we have no data to show whether one sided matchups from vBrawl are still just as bad. I know that in vBrawl Ganon vs a competent IC main was almost a pointless fight because Ganon has no safe pokes. You brought up in an earlier post that because of shieldstun they could no longer grab out of shield, but afaik there's no video evidence to back this up, and no matchup examples to show that previous matchups that were terribly skewed in their favor are no long such. Until we have some sort of evidence to show one way or the other we're pretty much stuck either leaving them or getting rid of them, possibly temporarily.
Since that is the case, why not try out evolving them around something other than their grabgame till a later date when we have said evidence?

Do the IC still warrant buffs if we keep the infinite/cgs?
I personally feel that the IC should be left alone completely until tournament data is to be collected on them, and then appropriate buffs can be made accordingly. I've said this for the majority of characters, barring a few which were just plain sub par.

They are hardly based on just personal whim. I could say the same for you however, but the fact that you are so closed minded about so unwilling to budge failing to see anything from our side of the argument (while anti-infinite players have acknowledged why it could be legal) is also not good.
If they are not based on personal whim Chibo, then the posters in question haven't provided sufficient reason for their statements at all. Just because I am not budging on a subject that I feel adamantly about in a certain regard does not make me closed minded. I have provided extensive reason for everything I've said up to this point, and even given credit to an opposing poster when they proved themselves correct.

I am not closed minded to change, nor am I unwilling to change. But for there to be change, there has to be a sufficient reason. Meta Knight is my character, my main. I'd love for him to still be at the top of the tiers. When we were lacking on code space and suggestions would be made on what codes to keep in and which to remove, I positively insisted the nerf to Meta Knights Tornado be re included. Why? It distorts match ups against heavy, large characters. That is a sufficient reason for a change, and one I support to the end, even against my own main character.

If you come along and say statements like "buff samus nair lol", and I disagree, it's not because I refuse to promote change. It's because I'm not an idiot who encourages changes you suggest when you don't provide reasons. And Chibo, I'd like to make note that you rarely do.

I'm not going to bother arguing in this topic anymore. There is nothing more that I can provide that I have already not outlined, and anything else brought up is either new information that only an IC main can provide or something that is just being repeated.

D

Deleted member

The ICs would still be viable, but we're not trying to get rid of all CGs, just the pass back and forth infinite. Regular CGs are very different than the IC infinite, and a regular CG could easily still be in.

Is that what you meant?

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
So you see the removal of the infinite as a nerf to the character, an unwarranted nerf at that.

And you are against any buffs that they may get because there isn't any tourney data, and thus insufficient reasoning for said buff?

What about Cape's buffs and what they do? He provided adequate reasoning for them, what's wrong with them?

We can look at a character objectively and tell if they will do well or bad in a tourney without the tourney data. It's not that hard. The only thing tourneys do is increase the size of the sample, and thus make it more likely to find something wrong. However, if a character clearly needs to become viable, why not buff them? Why wait until a tournament in order to be told that which we already knew?

Also, don't insult people.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
Yeah tnemrot, I would imagine most ppl figuring that out after fully reading his sentence, but I guess not. :/

While I agree we need more time to actually understand what we should do with IC's Uleva, I also understand that a Beta can be made and we can determine afterwards(since its already in the works anyways).

I like the idea of making characters have 20 frames where they can't be grabbed.

And lol @ Kupo.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
Ulevo, you are correct by saying that the Infinite doesn't over centralize the metagame and is not dominating. But it is a technique that over centralizes the ICers as it is their dominant tactic that as lain (I think it was him) said that the ICers suck without their infinites. So seeing how this still doesn't help them place well nor does it hurt the metagame, this means that ICers needs a buff to become more viable.

But can you see that by keeping the infinites, you actually are nerfing them? You hurt ICers because by keeping the infinite in there, you are having every ICer run the the risk of that technique being banned depending on the tourney you go too. It will really hurt them when a technique that is key to ICers gameplay is banned. Heck, Chudat banned the ICers infinite in his tourneys and says that he will stop regularly hosting Brawl+ if infinites are present throughout the game.

The alternative would be to remove the infinite and buff the ICers to keep some sort of unbannable CG tactic. This will ensure that the ICers have a consistent gameplay that is not dependent on the tourney they go to and it also means that they will never have to risk losing a valuable tactic without anything to fall back on. This I feel is a better path for the ICer.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Were you really srs about the gliding thing, though? lol

I personally feel that the IC should be left alone completely until tournament data is to be collected on them, and then appropriate buffs can be made accordingly. I've said this for the majority of characters, barring a few which were just plain sub par.
Well I can't argue personal preference. I just think it would be a good idea to try out buffs that don't involve making their infinites/cg's easier so that if the time come and it turns out they are not viable without them, we just turn them back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom