• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
well that's dissapointing. All the space animals I play against must be idiots if that's true. I mean, I understand that it's counter intuitive to DI TOWARDS the attack but you'd think you'd try anything to escape.
regardless, they've never managed to break out of it for me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think that it's basically come to a close about the Wario vs Kirby discussion as Escalator brought up many good points. But more on the lucario match up.
I'm not through with Wario vs Kirby. I still think that Wario has an advantage there and I think that I have stated enough reasons as to why Wario has a slight edge.

Lucario's killing power is quite underestimated when he is at the 70+ range. Many think that he is completely weak until the 120s but he actually has very decent killing power once in the seventies or eighties. About gimp-ability, I would say that Wario probably has a very hard time doing anything but edge hogging lucario (mainly due to his lack of pure vertical recovery). A very simple solution to basically EVERY edge guard attempt against lucario is just a well timed reverse double team counter, which basically flings lucario towards the stage with invincibility.
When I was talking about %'s on Lucario, I was referring to what percentage he would have to be at to have his killing ability be reliable. Lucario can kill people in the 70-80% area and actually for any % Lucario can kill, but it doesn't really become reliable until he gets around 100%. Lucario cannot solve every edgeguarding problem with a reverse double team. I have played against Lucario's that do that and usually I don't hit them since I am busy trying to see if they would airdodge and then punish them. The reverse double team only works if they hit you; otherwise it makes recovering even harder.

When you were talking about lucario's attacks, and how many have a lot of lag, you are definitely missing his best moves, or lack experience playing lucarios that utilize them.
I said that MOST of his attacks either have noticeable Startup OR ending lag. I didn't say every move was laggy or that his best moves are all too laggy, I said that for a lot of his attacks, they usually have some form of noticeable lag on them.

Ftilt - fast, good range, almost no ending lag
utilt- very fast, very spammable, very little start/end lag
all aerials except bair (which has a fair amount of startup lag) and nair (which has horrible ending lag but has no landing lag)

Now this selection of moves allows for very well spacing and a few good approaches. Wario may be able to KO lucario earlier, but don't expect a lucario player to allow you an easy opening...especially not anything that would give wario the advantage. Lucario has quite a few low lag moves (dair, nair, uair, ftilt) not to mention a combo into a full aura sphere, that he can use to both rack up damage and to KO with without giving Wario much opening.

Even match up. There just isn't enough in Wario's favor to allow him to have an advantage.
4 moves seems like a small selection choice for pure spacing/approaching. I'm not a Lucario Main but I'm pretty sure that he has more than 4 good moves for approaching/spacing.
It is tough approaching Lucario and finding an opening can be challenging. Once you get past that obstacle, however, Lucario gets overwhelmed by Wario.

I guess the question is: Exactly how hard is it to get Wario right in Lucario's face? Once Wario gets on a roll, it can be difficult to stop him. So how hard is it for him to actually get things going? Lucario has some options that help stop Wario from getting in the fray, but I just don't think that they work well enough to equalize the matchup. I'm not saying that Wario dominates Lucario or that he has a large advantage, but he does have an advantage IMO.

gantrain05

Smash Master
about the Mario Vs Wario thing i can't really speculate since i never played mario in brawl ever since they took out my favorite DR MARIO, but anyways, yeah i never really have any trouble edgegaurding wario and its even easier to spike him to death because of his horrible verticale recovery, but lucario i don't know because he seems unpredictable to me, probably one of the best defensive characters in the game imo, annoying to fight and large lingering hitboxes on alot of moves.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I still don't understand why Falco's neutral against Pika and lucas... he should have an advantage. And a large advantage over ness... He reflects everything those three send at him. The only thing pika and lucas have going for them is pika's dsmash and lucas's usmash. Sometimes if the falco doesn't react quickly enough, pika can get a thunder in. But a good falco can avoid this. Additionally, if the pika decides to QAC, falco can powershield and dsmash. He has a lot of options against pika. And what does lucas have going for him, seriously? Falco's projectiles are far superior, and he can reflect everything lucas shoots at him. Sure, lucas can absorb his projectiles, but what attacks does he have that seriously work on falco? Just usmash. And don't even get me started on ness... :laugh:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
about the Mario Vs Wario thing i can't really speculate since i never played mario in brawl ever...
The red text speaks for itself. :)

yeah i never really have any trouble edgeguarding Wario and its even easier to spike him to death because of his horrible vertical recovery,
How can you say that be when you haven't played as Mario? If you are talking about easy to edgeguard in general for most characters then that statement would still be false. A lot of characters have trouble edgeguarding Wario well. His vertical recovery is only bad when he is left with out his Waft and his bike. Otherwise it is quite good.

but lucario i don't know because he seems unpredictable to me, probably one of the best defensive characters in the game imo, annoying to fight and large lingering hitboxes on alot of moves.
Chomp helps against his defense. His hitboxes can linger as long as they want; Wario generally has an ok time with dodging them. Just because they have good range or a long last time, it doesn't mean that it is a wall or something.

Edit: I don't see why Falco is neutral in those matchups as well redgreenblue. I think you mean Lucas' Fsmash instead of his Usmash. I think Falco should have the advantage over those two.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey, I'm not advocating a change in the chart, but I'm sure you can make out the thoughts spiraling through my head why Ivysaur and Charizard aren't checks for Olimar. I don't play any good ones occasionally so I'm not sure why. Charizard's fair and his fire can be effective approaches, but that shouldn't (imo) make up for his bulky size. Ivysaur does has some range to work with, and leaf cutter cuts through pikmen, but it's not fast enough to keep the pikmen from eating his skin off himself.

I might be able to see why Charizard~Olimar, but Ivysaur~Olimar doesn't make since to me at all. Could someone explain?

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Everyone who I've spoken with believes ROB > Falco 6:4
Unless falco completely dominates with lasers this match-up is pretty even, and being above ROB is not fun. Plus spikes on ROB kind of just glance of the emotionless *******.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
well that's dissapointing. All the space animals I play against must be idiots if that's true. I mean, I understand that it's counter intuitive to DI TOWARDS the attack but you'd think you'd try anything to escape.
regardless, they've never managed to break out of it for me.
DI during a fast combo of attacks is like in Smash 64, where you have to hit the control stick many times to DI faster. And since Sheik's ftilt has more hitbox in front of her than behind her, why would you DI through MORE hitbox than LESS? Now THAT'S counter intuitive. Jam the control stick rapidly towards sheik to escape.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I mean Wario has a lot more maneuverability/dodging abilities than most characters. He is a slippery character and just because a move has good range and priority doesn't mean that there's no way around it. I didn't say anything about only playing one Mario and I'm sorry if I implied it that way.
Just because he's quick, Rob still has the advantage over Pikachu. Also, Sonic can be all over the place, but does that change the large disadvantage he has over G&W's range and beastly priority? No.

Most characters have similar evasive games, and it depends on the characters. I mean, theres obviously a difference, as Ganondorf is slow in the air and on the ground, but the only claim he has over other characters is that he has great movement in the air. He falls fast, so he isnt going to spend as much time up there as Jigglypuff, or even Mario, so it doesnt affect his evasiveness too much in my eyes. I can see how it helps his offense, but he has the edge he has in terms of his evasion game isnt too great. He's forced to pressure opposed to hit-and-run because he just cant camp like Sonic or ROB.

He's still likely to get hit with the Fsmash.

I have said Mario has more than just one kill move. I just think that Fsmash is his best one. Bair is a pretty decent edgeguarding move and so is his spike. However Mario can't just go out there and hit Wario like it's nobodies business. He has to go through more work to edgeguard Wario than the work Wario has to do to edgeguard Mario.
It is his best. Wario still gets hit with it as much as the next character. And yes, actually, Mario can go off the stage and execute what he wants on Wario with relative ease. He's floaty which accounts for a lot when it comes to off the edge game.

Spacies are not the same as Wario. They have less recovery options and less overall mobility in the air. They don't usually have the luxury of being able to airdodge an edgeguarding attempt and still make it back to the stage very often.
They have better recovery options. They have two options that are reliable. They dont move in the air as well, but they fall just as quick.

And WHAT?

Wario doesnt have that luxury either! When he's knocked off, he has to recover using his bike and his UpB. If his bike is on stage or he has already used the bike, he cant air dodge willy nilly. He has to get close enough to hook onto the ledge or upB to it.

With his fall speed, if he airdodges in most places, he's in a really bad spot. His UpB doesnt cover much space at all, if you hadnt noticed.

In the training room under ideal circumstances, yes, his recovery is the ****, but under pressure and in less than ideal circumstances, and vsing a character with great edge guarding potential, he's in trouble.

You gave me reasons but not a reasonable method of executing them. So what if Mario has a great meteor smash or a pretty good bair? The question is can you land it effectively? Wario can jump out and predict the airdodge, hit you with an fair, double jump into a nair, and use his bike and if necessary his Upb. Mario can't predict an airdodge and punish it quite as effectively as Wario can in this matchup. He can't risk going out very far from the edge since his recovery isn't too stellar. Wario has the better edgeguarding game because not only can he travel farther to gimp you than Mario can, but he also can edgeguard better in general because of his ability to punish an airdodge well. Mario just doesn't have that good of an edgeguard game vs Wario.
Okay, first, Wario the edgeguarder.

Wario jumps out "predicts" the air dodge (why not the cape instead of this?) and hits with the air. He then proceeds to using his double jump into a nair, and Mario doesnt do anything to this, no air dodge or cape, right? Wario then uses his bike, assuming it doesnt get caped or spiked or even if its on stage, and gets back onto stage.

Now it's Mario's turn.

Mario goes off to ledge guard, is a ****** and doesnt predict the air dodge, and falls to his death because his recovery doesnt cut it?

yeaaaah...

You're assuming the same thing you did a bit earlier when it comes to "dictating the match" (which I'll get to). When it comes to two equally skilled players, they both should be able to predict what the other goes to do for the most part. Wario players ARE NOT any better than Mario players when it comes to predicting an air dodge.

And what do you mean Mario cant punish an airdodge as well?
Mario is a floatier character, which means at the part where you fair and double jump, he's already done multiple aerials out of his first jump. He stays with the opponent better because he falls at the same speed as most of the cast, and when the opponent falls faster, he has to work even less!

Wario wont string multiple aerials through an airdodge because he's falling faster than Mario. After his first move, he HAS to jump to do the next.

Wario wont be able to go farther out than Mario because he falls fast with each aerial. I can see him chasing out with three attacks at the most. I see Mario doing a lot more, safely, and being able to cape offstage recoveries, and spike others.

Theoretically, Wario can go farther in terms of horizontal distance, but Mario works better in practice, as he can stick with the opponent who's DIing back to the stage a lot better than Wario.

Mario's recovery is fine. He isnt gimpable, his UpB is an actual kill move, and he's really floaty, which matters a lot when returning.

Oh, and you're ignoring the cape and F.L.U.D.D. The cape can be used to change you're DIing back to the stage to DIing farther out, or turn you before you hop on your bike. The F.L.U.D.D. works in most situations that your bike doesnt fit into. Wario can be spiked of his Bike with Mario's Fair.

Wario has it easier above Mario in the air because of two main reasons:

1. He has a greater horizontal and fall speed than Mario, so he has a better chance of dodging an attack.

2. His dair has a bigger hitbox that extends further downward than Mario's dair so he has a better chance of trading hits or even beating out the opponents attack.

Wario can bait Mario into an airdodge and punish him easier than Mario can punish Wario because Wario has better air control. That's why he is less vulnerable than Mario in the air.
Mario has a just as likely chance at dodging an attack from below as Wario. He doesnt have a safety move like the Dair, but he does more than fine when above Wario.

Plus, Wario's Dair has landing lag. If he's using that to bully to the ground, he'll hit the ground and be caught up in lag. The Dair isnt Ideal. Its better SH'd as an offense, not as a defense.

And you do not begin saying things like "so and so can bait so-and-so into doing etc" because thats not how it works. We're assuming that they are equally skilled players, not that the Wario player has better set up mindgames than the Mario.

Mario vulnerable in the air? No.
Mario has great air control, period.
He might not have Wario's horizontal air speed, but Mario is an awesome aerialist.

Wario's Recovery covers more vertical and horizontal distance than Mario's. Mario's is much easier to gimp than Wario's and just because you can gimp Wario doesn't mean you can automatically overlook Mario's recovery flaws. And Wario definitely has a better chance at a gimp than Mario, I compared their edgeguarding game above and it should be obvious that Wario has an easier and more reliably method of getting a gimp.
Mario has an average recovery. What are these flaws? He's floaty, his second jump is sound, can cape to deter off stage attacks, and his UpB covers good distance both horizontally and vertically

I just gave a rebuttal to the edgegame, so you're going to have to deal with that.

Mario gimps waaay easier.

I was referring to %'s but in knockback they are stronger in general as well. Wario's most damaging moves fit well into his game: Dair, Waft, Chomp, Fsmash, Uair, Fthrow, and others. Mario's most damaging moves are his finishers. Wario can combo just as well, if not better, than Mario and since one of Wario's best combo moves is Dair, he can also do a lot of damage with a 2-3 move combo. It would take Mario more hits to get the same % and Wario has the better defensive/evasive game.
I was going to check the actual percents, but neither guide has those. So pretty much, you're making a claim you cant back up. If you know the percents, lemme know, otherwise it sounds like you're doinf guesswork.

Wario's evasive game isnt any better than Mario's.
Mario also has the cape, which has amazing utility use.
His spacing is great with fireballs, so, yeah.

See above point on edgeguarding.
See my above points.

It is an actual point because it is true. Mario's fireballs don't really curb Wario's aggressive style and in close combat Mario is gonna struggle with keeping up. Wario excels at close combat and he can negate the Fireballs and make the entire match a close up brawl. Mario can't just rush in and barrage Wario and keep the pressure on him. Wario can use his strong assets to the fullest and Mario has to work a lot harder to be able to effectively utilize his strong points.
Mario is great with Juggling, so I dont see why he cant "keep up". This is Game and Watch beating up on a Ganondorf here, they're both good up close. Mario makes approaches with the fireballs, and does great up close due to his aerial floaty-ness. His aerials come out quick and can deter Wario up there, and his ground game isnt bad either.

Mario's fireballs are going to see plenty of use, as he can stave off attacks and can make use of the space. Wario will never always be in Mario's face due to rolling, airdodges, and the like.

Mario has a not so great recovery, he has trouble landing the killing blow on some of the faster characters, his range is not too good, his projectiles don't work too well against some characters, he can have trouble getting to the ground safely after a launcher, and he cannot work around his disadvantages like a lot of characters can do.

Chomp fits into the equation because it forces Mario to not be totally defensive. Mario can't really stop Wario from evading or defending himself. So not only have Mario's offensive options been hindered, but his defensive choices as well.
somesomesomecharacterscharacterscharacters

we're talking about Wario v Mario here.
His recovery is quite good in the matchup.
He can land killing blows fine/and can edge guard Wario.
his range is definitely better than Wario's.
His projectiles is very useful VS Wario.
Mario can get to the land saffely, as he's the better juggler of the two.
Mario is a very balanced character and isn't completely destroyed by his disadvantages like Capt. Falcon is. He actually doesnt have a huge Achilles Heel, where Wario has severe range issues.

Why does the chomp ruin Mario's defense? Maybe you can use it on his shield once, but at highlevels of play, it's difficult to be repeatedly caught in the same tactic over and over.
Wario has no way to deal with the Fireballs? So I guess when Blue sHell and other Wario players get around it, it's just a lucky fluke? Maybe the Mario was doing it wrong? IDK I don't have too much of a problem with the Fireballs and I said nothing about Mario Spamming them.
The thing is, because he doesnt spam them, it's harder to deal with. He makes approaches with his fireballs. Theres obviously ways around it, duh, but shielding the ball of fire isnt too great as Mario's already moving to attack. He may use it dropping down or force Wario into aerial approaches. It peppers on damage and is very useful against Wario because he doesnt bucket them or heal off of it.

I have read up on Mario. I read up on a lot of characters. Telling me to go read up on a character or to go and study them seems like an insult towards me, as if I have no clue about Mario's abilities or his metagame.
You obviously don't know the most about Mario OR you're outright ignoring things because your main is who he's matched up against. Obviously you're going to defend your main's ability to handle a Mario, but all Im saying is that Mario goes off equally with Wario. Theres nothing Wario does that really pulls him ahead.

Mario's projectile is not as effective as you might think it is, his range is an issue for Wario, but in close combat Speed is more effective/important than range, and Wario has better edgeguarding choices.
Range is always an issue because you're not going to get the close fight you desire because of the range pushing you away. Marth has range, and he does fine Vs Sonic, the fastest thing alive. Mario is plenty speedy, so thats another thing your overlooking. Wario has few edge guarding choices, actually. Mario can expect the same thing each time, where Mario can mix it up with spikes, carrying Bairs, F.L.U.D.D., the cape, etc etc.

Simply put, Wario can work around his weaknesses easier and more effectively than how Mario can get around his flaws. This is partly why Wario should have the advantage.
I think I have adequately argued this.
Neutrality ftw!
I love playing Garlic, but I hate false matchups.

do you really feel strongly about this matchup?
I honestly think you should push for the matchup that you feel strongest for the moment.
It's close enough either way to be neutral (which is what it should be), so shouldnt you go for the outright wrong matchups first?

Because I dont want to be arguing when theres some things on this chart that need some changing.

Why does Wario have to advantage vs Kirby?
I still dont see it.
I tried Wario, but he didnt do much good.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Just because he's quick, Rob still has the advantage over Pikachu. Also, Sonic can be all over the place, but does that change the large disadvantage he has over G&W's range and beastly priority? No.

Most characters have similar evasive games, and it depends on the characters. I mean, theres obviously a difference, as Ganondorf is slow in the air and on the ground, but the only claim he has over other characters is that he has great movement in the air. He falls fast, so he isnt going to spend as much time up there as Jigglypuff, or even Mario, so it doesnt affect his evasiveness too much in my eyes. I can see how it helps his offense, but he has the edge he has in terms of his evasion game isnt too great. He's forced to pressure opposed to hit-and-run because he just cant camp like Sonic or ROB.

He's still likely to get hit with the Fsmash.
Wario's airdodge game is a lot better than most characters. When I say evasive, I'm not talking about hit and run or camping or anything like that, I'm talking about who has the easiest time to dodge attacks that would normally hit them. I'm not saying that it is impossible to hit Wario with Fsmash but I AM SAYING that there's a better chance for him to evade it compared to most characters.

It is his best. Wario still gets hit with it as much as the next character. And yes, actually, Mario can go off the stage and execute what he wants on Wario with relative ease. He's floaty which accounts for a lot when it comes to off the edge game.
He may be floaty but there is no way he is going out as far as Wario can, hit his opponent, and recover safely.

They have better recovery options. They have two options that are reliable. They dont move in the air as well, but they fall just as quick.
Firefox/Firebird are not reliable. Phantasm is usually the better recovery move but it goes in a straight line. There's not much you can mix up with that.

And WHAT?

Wario doesnt have that luxury either! When he's knocked off, he has to recover using his bike and his UpB. If his bike is on stage or he has already used the bike, he cant air dodge willy nilly. He has to get close enough to hook onto the ledge or upB to it.

With his fall speed, if he airdodges in most places, he's in a really bad spot. His UpB doesnt cover much space at all, if you hadnt noticed.

In the training room under ideal circumstances, yes, his recovery is the ****, but under pressure and in less than ideal circumstances, and vsing a character with great edge guarding potential, he's in trouble.
In a situation like that, yes he can't airdodge all over the place and expect to make it back. However that is very situational and you know that most of the time the bike is not on the stage.

Everyone's recovery suffers under pressure. Wario can handle that pressure better than Mario can however.

Okay, first, Wario the edgeguarder.

Wario jumps out "predicts" the air dodge (why not the cape instead of this?) and hits with the air. He then proceeds to using his double jump into a nair, and Mario doesnt do anything to this, no air dodge or cape, right? Wario then uses his bike, assuming it doesnt get caped or spiked or even if its on stage, and gets back onto stage.

Now it's Mario's turn.

Mario goes off to ledge guard, is a ****** and doesnt predict the air dodge, and falls to his death because his recovery doesnt cut it?

yeaaaah...

You're assuming the same thing you did a bit earlier when it comes to "dictating the match" (which I'll get to). When it comes to two equally skilled players, they both should be able to predict what the other goes to do for the most part. Wario players ARE NOT any better than Mario players when it comes to predicting an air dodge.
You can't cape every edgeguarding attempt. Usually Wario can combo into his nair, which is why air dodging and the cape don't work too well in that situation (If it doesn't combo, then cape would probably be too slow to get out.) If Mario gets hit by Nair, isn't he gonna be too far to spike or cape Wario?

I said nothing about Mario being a ****** and killing himself or anything about Mario players sucking. Stop putting words in my mouth please. :) What I was trying to say earlier is that Wario has a greater allowance of error than Mario when it comes to edgeguarding. If Wario messes up and misses the chance to punish an airdodge or if he times something wrong, he has a greater chance of correcting his mistake or at the worst making it back to the stage safely. Mario certainly cannot afford to make a mistake in edgeguarding as much as Wario can.

And what do you mean Mario cant punish an airdodge as well?
Mario is a floatier character, which means at the part where you fair and double jump, he's already done multiple aerials out of his first jump. He stays with the opponent better because he falls at the same speed as most of the cast, and when the opponent falls faster, he has to work even less!

Wario wont string multiple aerials through an airdodge because he's falling faster than Mario. After his first move, he HAS to jump to do the next.

Wario wont be able to go farther out than Mario because he falls fast with each aerial. I can see him chasing out with three attacks at the most. I see Mario doing a lot more, safely, and being able to cape offstage recoveries, and spike others.

Theoretically, Wario can go farther in terms of horizontal distance, but Mario works better in practice, as he can stick with the opponent who's DIing back to the stage a lot better than Wario.

Mario's recovery is fine. He isnt gimpable, his UpB is an actual kill move, and he's really floaty, which matters a lot when returning.
Mario is a floatier character. He doesn't have very good horizontal speed. If Wario falls faster and moves further to the side in the air than Mario, then he has a better chance of avoiding Mario if he is trying to juggle him. When Mario is in the air, he is floaty, which takes him longer to get down to the ground. He moves slower horizontally in the air, so there's a lower chance of him evading Wario from out running him in the air. Mario get's stuck in the air worse than Wario simply because he has a harder time of getting to the ground safely.

Wario's fair has pretty low knockback but it works well for edgeguarding. He is not forced to jump to do another aerial. It is a good idea for him to do that and he can follow up better with a jump, but he is by all means not forced to do that.

He can use more than 3 aerials while going full speed towards the side boundary AND STILL MAKE IT back to the stage. Mario is not capable of going that far out. Wario has an easier time sticking with characters because guess what? He has a great horizontal speed. Wario can adjust his position in the air with more precision than Mario.

EVERY CHARACTER CAN BE GIMPED!!!!! Mario can be gimped, Wario can be gimped, Snake can be gimped, every character in the game can be gimped. Mario is definitely not an ungimpable character. His recovery is average at best. It doesn't matter how floaty, heavy, light, whatever when it comes to getting gimped. If you get gimped, floatyness is not gonna help everything.

Oh, and you're ignoring the cape and F.L.U.D.D. The cape can be used to change you're DIing back to the stage to DIing farther out, or turn you before you hop on your bike. The F.L.U.D.D. works in most situations that your bike doesnt fit into. Wario can be spiked of his Bike with Mario's Fair.
I am not ignoring the cape or FLUDD. How does FLUDD work into more situations that bike? It doesn't help vertical recovery, it has quite a bit of lag and makes you more vulnerable than when Wario is on his bike, It has to be charged to get the maximum benefit, and you have to aim it in the right direction to propel yourself the right way. The cape is helpful, but certainly not as much as the bike.

Mario has a just as likely chance at dodging an attack from below as Wario. He doesnt have a safety move like the Dair, but he does more than fine when above Wario.

Plus, Wario's Dair has landing lag. If he's using that to bully to the ground, he'll hit the ground and be caught up in lag. The Dair isnt Ideal. Its better SH'd as an offense, not as a defense.

And you do not begin saying things like "so and so can bait so-and-so into doing etc" because thats not how it works. We're assuming that they are equally skilled players, not that the Wario player has better set up mindgames than the Mario.

Mario vulnerable in the air? No.
Mario has great air control, period.
He might not have Wario's horizontal air speed, but Mario is an awesome aerialist.
No, Mario has a harder time at getting down to the ground safely. He is floaty and his dair is not too great of a juggle stopper. He struggles above Wario... there is no way you can say Mario does fine against Wario when above him when he does not.

Wario's dair has lag when landing (like most aerials out there). Of course it is better for offense, so is Mario's dair. The point is, it works better than Mario's dair when it comes to a last resort defensive move.

I said nothing about a Wario having better mind games than a Mario player. Wario has a better chance of punishing Mario in edgeguarding and in the air because Mario's options are not too safe and they can be punished easier than Wario's options.. Wario's options aren't exactly the best either but they are better than Mario's because they have a better chance of working.

Mario does not have better aerial control. He has some good aerial moves but he is definitely not a great contender at controlling the skies.

Mario has an average recovery. What are these flaws? He's floaty, his second jump is sound, can cape to deter off stage attacks, and his UpB covers good distance both horizontally and vertically

I just gave a rebuttal to the edgegame, so you're going to have to deal with that.

Mario gimps waaay easier.
Yes, Mario has an average recovery. He can cape but you cannot expect to cape every edgeguarding attempt. His Upb is average at best.

That was not a rebuttal. I have stated plenty of reasons as to why Wario edge guards better than Mario.

Mario does not gimp way easier than Wario. I already showed enough reason as to why Wario does better.

I was going to check the actual percents, but neither guide has those. So pretty much, you're making a claim you cant back up. If you know the percents, lemme know, otherwise it sounds like you're doinf guesswork.

Wario's evasive game isnt any better than Mario's.
Mario also has the cape, which has amazing utility use.
His spacing is great with fireballs, so, yeah.
I will do a move by move comparison. Do you want me to do it in training mode or in Brawl mode? (I'll be sure to restart for the moves in Brawl mode to negate the stale moves effect.)
I will include %'s and maybe a killing percentage comparison to see who kills sooner.

Mario is great with Juggling, so I dont see why he cant "keep up". This is Game and Watch beating up on a Ganondorf here, they're both good up close. Mario makes approaches with the fireballs, and does great up close due to his aerial floaty-ness. His aerials come out quick and can deter Wario up there, and his ground game isnt bad either.

Mario's fireballs are going to see plenty of use, as he can stave off attacks and can make use of the space. Wario will never always be in Mario's face due to rolling, airdodges, and the like.
His fireballs have uses but they are not as effective against Wario as they are against most characters. Wario might not always be in his face but he has the tools to approach and punish Mario pretty well.

we're talking about Wario v Mario here.
His recovery is quite good in the matchup.
He can land killing blows fine/and can edge guard Wario.
his range is definitely better than Wario's.
His projectiles is very useful VS Wario.
Mario can get to the land saffely, as he's the better juggler of the two.
Mario is a very balanced character and isn't completely destroyed by his disadvantages like Capt. Falcon is. He actually doesnt have a huge Achilles Heel, where Wario has severe range issues.

Why does the chomp ruin Mario's defense? Maybe you can use it on his shield once, but at highlevels of play, it's difficult to be repeatedly caught in the same tactic over and over.

The thing is, because he doesnt spam them, it's harder to deal with. He makes approaches with his fireballs. Theres obviously ways around it, duh, but shielding the ball of fire isnt too great as Mario's already moving to attack. He may use it dropping down or force Wario into aerial approaches. It peppers on damage and is very useful against Wario because he doesnt bucket them or heal off of it.

You obviously don't know the most about Mario OR you're outright ignoring things because your main is who he's matched up against. Obviously you're going to defend your main's ability to handle a Mario, but all Im saying is that Mario goes off equally with Wario. Theres nothing Wario does that really pulls him ahead.
Mario has the worse recovery.
He has a harder time landing a killing blow and edgeguarding than Wario.
His range is better.
His projectile has limited usefulness against Wario.
Mario has a harder time getting to ground safely (if you are ABOVE your opponent, how does your juggling ability stop him from Juggling you from below? :p)
Wario has a range issue. He can DEAL with his range issue a lot better than how most characters can deal with their own issues. Mario has flaws, just not as "extreme" as Wario's range.

Chomp limits your opponents defensive options. I'm not saying it counters Mario or anything, but it does help to pressure your opponent. I didn't say you could land it all the time in high level play, but your opponent does have to be aware about it.

Wario can handle the fireballs. They are not that effective here in this matchup. They have uses but those uses are not very important to helping Mario out a significant amount.

I do not ignore Mario or his abilities. I know a lot about both characters and I honestly believe that Wario has an advantage here. I didn't say anything about Wario being better than Mario simply because "He's my main". I have nothing personal against Mario but when you compare Mario vs Wario, he has a disadvantage.

Range is always an issue because you're not going to get the close fight you desire because of the range pushing you away. Marth has range, and he does fine Vs Sonic, the fastest thing alive. Mario is plenty speedy, so thats another thing your overlooking. Wario has few edge guarding choices, actually. Mario can expect the same thing each time, where Mario can mix it up with spikes, carrying Bairs, F.L.U.D.D., the cape, etc etc.

I think I have adequately argued this.
Neutrality ftw!
I love playing Garlic, but I hate false matchups.

do you really feel strongly about this matchup?
I honestly think you should push for the matchup that you feel strongest for the moment.
It's close enough either way to be neutral (which is what it should be), so shouldnt you go for the outright wrong matchups first?

Because I dont want to be arguing when theres some things on this chart that need some changing.
Range is not that much of an issue when it comes to close combat. Wario likes close combat, hell he eats close combat for breakfast. He has terrible range. However, he has the ability to negate that disadvantage pretty well with his ability to safely get close to opponents. If he can't safely get to them, then he has a hard time. Mario just doesn't have enough to stop Wario from getting to him.

It doesn't matter how many options Wario has for edgeguarding. If he had only 1 option and it worked well then he doesn't need a spike or something like the FLUDD or something like a projectile. Mario has more options but they do not work as well as Wario's choices.

I think I have adequately argued for Wario. We should let someone from the outside to decide what the matchup should be listed as.

I have stated in previous posts that Wario does bad against Falco, Dedede, Luigi, and I told the OP to change Wario to even against the IC. I am not just advocating Wario's positive matchups, I am well aware of his bad and neutral matchups and I have no problem with explaining why he has a hard or neutral time in those matchups.

Why does Wario have to advantage vs Kirby?
I still dont see it.
I tried Wario, but he didnt do much good.
Just because you don't see the advantage does not mean it does not exist. :)

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
I'm not through with Wario vs Kirby. I still think that Wario has an advantage there and I think that I have stated enough reasons as to why Wario has a slight edge.
And every point you have brought up has been overcome...

Recovery Predictability - "Kirby's more predictable than Wario"

A) That's not true, with multiple jumps and an aerial hammer that allows him to recover without even using any jumps he can outlast most characters who try to edge guard him, let alone predict where he will be.
B) Wario's recovery is much more predictable. Bike, jump, upB (which doesn't sweetspot and therefore can be punished)

Gimping

Kirby can gimp wario much easier than wario can gimp kirby. See recovery predictability above.

Kill moves
Kirby doesn't have a hard time killing and is able to set up easily for his main kill move, fsmash. Dair leads directly into it, dtilt trips people into a perfect range for it, it has good range and priority. In addition to this, he has quite a few other good moves that can kill. Usmash, hammer (both aerial and ground(although not as much with ground because of prelag)), bair for gimping and high % killing, etc.

True, Wario can kill kirby easily but with the possibility of gimping, and with decent killing strength, kirby can kill well also.

In my opinion, it's even. There isn't enough going for wario to make it lean in his favor.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm honestly not interested in arguing Wario vs Mario. I brought up valid points, and you said "no u" and said the same exact things. You ignored a bunch of the things I brought up, and it feels like this will turn into Ness v Olimar debate, minus the endresult where DanGR was understanding. You're stubborn on the point and I'm not here to convince you. My points brought up were fine, and Ivaneva can make the choice whether or not to change it.

just because YOU dont see that Mario is on equal footing with Wario, doesnt mean he isnt.

Kirby v Wario is neutral.

edit:

Okay.
Ivaneva is pretty bad at this.
He sees one person, who obviously has a bias towards their own character, post a matchup for their character vs another, and he changes it immediately. When one person posts a matchup, let them argue it first, and then change it. If they both have good points, you wait. You dont take sides.

If I say Capt Falcon is equal with Snake, you dont add it.

So seriously, make a Debated symbol or something, so anyone looking into the chart would see this and throw their ideas into this.

changing it because a main pulls an argument outta his *** doesnt seem right, and maybe thats why this chart doesnt get taken seriously.

I would prefer most of the chart be covered in ?'s rather than false info.

Its possible Wario does do well, but I want to hear from a Mario main.

I like how you've put a lot of effort into it, but the way its being changed so frequently is ridiculous.

Browny

Smash Hater
I dont think Sonic deserves a big X against luigi based off one person saying it with no reasoning . sure luigi has his hax aerial priority, but sonics strength isnt his aerials, sonic does best on the ground. you wouldnt rate snake as a disadvadvantage against luigi when he owns the ground, same applies to just about every character in the game, since luigis aerials are better than just about everyones.

I have no trouble dealing with luigis as sonic and find him one of the easier match ups.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm honestly not interested in arguing Wario vs Mario. I brought up valid points, and you said "no u" and said the same exact things. You ignored a bunch of the things I brought up, and it feels like this will turn into Ness v Olimar debate, minus the endresult where DanGR was understanding. You're stubborn on the point and I'm not here to convince you. My points brought up were fine, and Ivaneva can make the choice whether or not to change it.
I did not ignore the stuff you said. In fact, I have quoted almost every sentence you had typed and tried to type a reasonable argument as to why I believe Wario has the advantage against Mario. Some of your points were incorrect, like Mario has an ungimpable recovery or that his aerial control is better in this matchup or that he can edgeguard Wario more effectively than Wario can edgeguard him. I posted REASONS as to why those statements are false/misleading, yet you seem to think that they do not matter or that they are false because they might conflict with your opinions. I have no problem admitting where Wario is weak and what gives him a hard matchup. I do my very best not to over glorify Wario because I am fully aware that he is not even close to being the best character in the game and I know his limits. I do not underestimate Mario or ignore his attributes. I think that you are not admitting Mario's flaws and you sound like you are over playing his strengths. We do not have to argue about this matchup anymore but you cannot say that you are right and that I am wrong and have that statement become automatically true.

just because YOU dont see that Mario is on equal footing with Wario, doesnt mean he isnt.

Kirby v Wario is neutral.
I have analyzed the fight for both sides. I have tried to look from both perspectives and given both characters the same amount of attention without any biases. Maybe I am biased towards Wario. Maybe you are biased towards Mario. I guess the best resolution is to get someone else that has a lot of experience with both to either confirm what I am saying or to confirm what you are saying.

Can you tell me why Kirby is neutral? We don't have to debate about recovery/edgeguarding anymore (unless you want to, don't have a problem with that) but I would like to see your opinions on that matchup. We'll try not to make this a shouting match for both sides like how the Wario vs Mario thing led to. :)

Okay.
Ivaneva is pretty bad at this.
He sees one person, who obviously has a bias towards their own character, post a matchup for their character vs another, and he changes it immediately. When one person posts a matchup, let them argue it first, and then change it. If they both have good points, you wait. You dont take sides.

If I say Capt Falcon is equal with Snake, you dont add it.

So seriously, make a Debated symbol or something, so anyone looking into the chart would see this and throw their ideas into this.

changing it because a main pulls an argument outta his *** doesnt seem right, and maybe thats why this chart doesnt get taken seriously.

I would prefer most of the chart be covered in ?'s rather than false info.

Its possible Wario does do well, but I want to hear from a Mario main.

I like how you've put a lot of effort into it, but the way its being changed so frequently is ridiculous.
Give the guy credit for making the chart in the first place. Not very many people would have been motivated to do what he is doing now. You seem to have a bias towards Mario so you certainly aren't excused from "bias towards their own character" sentence and I probably am not either.

I agree, some matchups are really whack. However, this chart will be changing with the metagame and people have different opinions on matchups. Just give it some time and it will probably look a lot more accurate.

I didn't pull it outta my ***, and I think most people don't just come up with reasons out of thin air. Some of them should be obvious lies, but I guess the ones that are a bit more obscure could make the OP change his chart.

We should hear from someone that has equal experience with both characters. People with different mains sometimes have different views on matchups and someone who is in the middle should be able to get an accurate take on a matchup. So I guess we wait for someone who really knows the most about both characters.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I dont think Sonic deserves a big X against luigi based off one person saying it with no reasoning . sure luigi has his hax aerial priority, but sonics strength isnt his aerials, sonic does best on the ground. you wouldnt rate snake as a disadvadvantage against luigi when he owns the ground, same applies to just about every character in the game, since luigis aerials are better than just about everyones.

I have no trouble dealing with luigis as sonic and find him one of the easier match ups.
No Sonic's strength does not lie in his ground game.
His ground game is purely for speeding up his aerial game and setting it.
It isn't the major means of damage and kills.
When you are on the ground you are spacing, chasing, grabbing.
All of which typically leads to Sonic being in the air to rack up damage and kills.
He isn't necessarily completely aerial but his ground game supports his aerial game. Adds speed and strength to it.
Yes he has some good ground moves, but the majority of his time will be spent in the air. Not on the ground.

Luigi is most definitely Sonic's worst matchup. I speak not only from experience but from those who have played Luigi's as well.
Ask InterimOfZeal, Lucky, Boxob they will agree with me.
Luigi is Sonic's hard counter.
The priority has always been an issue for Sonic but there were ways to get around it with other characters. Placing oneself in a position where the attacks were much less likely to collide or forcing the opponent to defense where they couldn't attack could occur more easily.

With luigi this is much more difficult.
This is where priority REALLY hits Sonic hard. For most of Sonic's matchups, the priority issue isn't as great, the hitbox usually is limited so Sonic can pick at where its weakest even with his Nair.

With Luigi this is not so.
When he attacks one can think of him as mostly hitbox with little hurtbox. Very annoying to get through.
Luigi's ground game also is superior to Sonics.
Jab to ^B is impossible to dodge once that jab has landed,
Gimping is no longer an option either.
His attacks are faster both on ground and in the air.
So Sonic is limited mostly to the ground. He really must paly defensively. Mak use of grabbing and pummeling and make usage of his strength outside the arena.
Gimping Luigi is difficult, his priority lets him smash through the spring, break apart Dair's, push through Fair's and Bairs.
It's the same issue with MK.

You'll find that if you face a Luigi of comparable skill to your Sonic, it will be a very difficult matchup.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
No Sonic's strength does not lie in his ground game.
His ground game is purely for speeding up his aerial game and setting it.
It isn't the major means of damage and kills.
When you are on the ground you are spacing, chasing, grabbing.
All of which typically leads to Sonic being in the air to rack up damage and kills.
He isn't necessarily completely aerial but his ground game supports his aerial game. Adds speed and strength to it.
Yes he has some good ground moves, but the majority of his time will be spent in the air. Not on the ground.

Luigi is most definitely Sonic's worst matchup. I speak not only from experience but from those who have played Luigi's as well.
Ask InterimOfZeal, Lucky, Boxob they will agree with me.
Luigi is Sonic's hard counter.
The priority has always been an issue for Sonic but there were ways to get around it with other characters. Placing oneself in a position where the attacks were much less likely to collide or forcing the opponent to defense where they couldn't attack could occur more easily.

With luigi this is much more difficult.
This is where priority REALLY hits Sonic hard. For most of Sonic's matchups, the priority issue isn't as great, the hitbox usually is limited so Sonic can pick at where its weakest even with his Nair.

With Luigi this is not so.
When he attacks one can think of him as mostly hitbox with little hurtbox. Very annoying to get through.
Luigi's ground game also is superior to Sonics.
Jab to ^B is impossible to dodge once that jab has landed,
Gimping is no longer an option either.
His attacks are faster both on ground and in the air.
So Sonic is limited mostly to the ground. He really must paly defensively. Mak use of grabbing and pummeling and make usage of his strength outside the arena.
Gimping Luigi is difficult, his priority lets him smash through the spring, break apart Dair's, push through Fair's and Bairs.
It's the same issue with MK.

You'll find that if you face a Luigi of comparable skill to your Sonic, it will be a very difficult matchup.
He;s absolutely tight, I'm a previous sonic main and no-one NO-ONE was a worse matchup than luigi.

maybe he wasn't to strong, but I'll be darned if anything could get through his attacks.

Luigi cyclone went through any spindash as well, and fireballs stopped it short.

there's just almost no way to get inside of luigi.

oh, and I've played my shiek against pyro's fox recently. DIing towards shiek slowly started to get him out of the tilt lock, and I couldn't lock him until about 20 damage. But then, he was locked and he couldn't escape. Once his DI almost got him out and then I samshed... if I timed it right, he couldn't escape... but I was too slow on 50% of my Usmashes.... and he managed to survive through good DI twice.

After the fact, Pyro said he even knew what he should be doing but couldn't get out after the first couple of hits connected.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm wondering, why is zelda bad against squitrtle? I can't see a singe reason this should be the case.

Best101

Smash Ace
lol @ Ganondorf having no advantages. It's a shame what they did to my second best character in Melee and one my favorite bad guys in video games

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've played my shiek against pyro's fox recently. DIing towards shiek slowly started to get him out of the tilt lock, and I couldn't lock him until about 20 damage. But then, he was locked and he couldn't escape. Once his DI almost got him out and then I samshed... if I timed it right, he couldn't escape... but I was too slow on 50% of my Usmashes.... and he managed to survive through good DI twice.

After the fact, Pyro said he even knew what he should be doing but couldn't get out after the first couple of hits connected.
quoting for emphasis.

I'm wondering, why is zelda bad against squitrtle? I can't see a singe reason this should be the case.
same

joenm8r

Smash Cadet
lol @ Ganondorf having no advantages. It's a shame what they did to my second best character in Melee and one my favorite bad guys in video games
It's alright, the fact that he's the underdog makes me like him even more. One hell of a mean looking underdog though.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I understand there's other approach options. I've given input on those already before. As for the ones that land behind olimar, there isn't enough startup lag on the upsmash or dsmash after your bair for you to fit in a jab.(/, or even any ground attack) The problem with shielding in this case is that you can't land and shield in time to avoid any attack.
When I said punch, I didn't mean jab, I meant giant punch, which will super armor through D or Usmash. I can do punch before landing if I'm fairly sure you'll try to attack. If I Bair, DI over, Bair, I'm almost certain it stalls enough to avoid Dsmash and bury.

[Question: Can't I just turn around and grab after the bair? I do it all the time.]
You can try, but if I do SH Bair, DI over, >B, it stays in the air and buries a grab attempt for a free attack. I think Bair, DI over, Uair/Nair will beat it out also, since he is technically still in the air. If I just land or attempt a grounded atack, then yes, I believe grab will beat it.

when I say "throw pikmen" I mean after SHing. If olimar doesn't short hop he's put himself in a bad spot. SHing and throwing pikmen has a number of possibilities. This scenario is if you jump to kill thrown pikmen (which will be the only way for you to avoid damage)

yellows-most likely land on your head.
white-mostly too quick to time and bair. If you can, that's good for you. give yourself a cookie. :)
purple- hit DK, followup
blue/red-if olimar jumps and DK is on the ground, they will hit his head. If they both jump and DK is at the height of the jump, it hits his back and he can hit them off.

If you analyze the possibilities, you can see that DK will get get damage if he chooses to jump and bair all the pikmen without attacking olimar.
This is exactly what I mentioned with DK approaching with Bairs while Olimar runs away. If Olimar SHs, DK should be sticking close enough so that BAir will hit Oli if he jumps. If not, it will at least stuff pikmin toss, or at the very least, DK gets a pikmin attached and Bairs it off. If the pikmin hits him grounded, he can pause and Utilt, or SH Uair then continue Bair, but I'd personally just ignore a single pikmin.

~Damage when eating your flesh~

Basically, without DR, the max is around 8 or 9 hits depending on if there's a flower or not.(I'd rather not get into the flower part unless you're questioning it)

red-2
blue-2
yellow-2
white-6 a hit! yikes! 54% total if you leave them alone.(lol)
purple-6(and knockback, which doesn't change with your %)
So would you agree my estimate of 10-15% is close if I don't kill them immediately? Even if I don't clear immediately DK usually won't go a long enough time without using a clear move to let a pikmin get a full 8-9 hits.

Olimar has a "tech" where he can basically run and pull at the same time. It's not enough though. Between bairs (this is if olimar pull directly after shielding) olimar can pick, after any hit onto DK olimar can pick, there's no picking problem. If you happen to kill them all at once. Olimar's tilts and his nair have VERY high priority. He'll be using them.
If you shield drop and pick after a SH bair, won't a second Bair hit, or does Oli recover fast enough? Also, if you pick after a hit, doesn't that break your combo and lessen your damage racking ability? Bair should cut through Oli's attacks because of range, and without Pikmin, I don't have to worry about grab, so I can go nuts with SH double Bair and tilts to keep pressure, the same as with any other character.

It's pretty slow in my opinion. All of olimar's attacks are faster and have less ending lag. I'm 100% sure it's not quick enough for DK to run and be in the air by the time olimar jumps and throws pikmen. You will have at least 4 damage if you react quick enough and with the correct attack depending on where the pikmen lands.
I wasn't saying that DownB is a reactionary move. I was saying if DK does downB and Oli jumps, it ends quick enough to dash in after and punish Oli's SH with:
-Utilt: if Oli is still in the air, this combos and clears pikmin that would have been SH tossed.
-Dsmash: Same as above.
-Dash attack: Hits aerial, should last long enough to punish airdodge. Not sure if Oli can shieldgrab or not, it has some nice pushback.
-UpB: Will hit unless Oli DJs. It will beat airdodge, and shield stabs. Also kills pikmin.
-Another DownB: Will beat airdodge, will pushback if Oli shields.

If DK is at a low percentage(0-20) all except "uptilt or dtilt, nair, upair, upb" are DI-outable. The very end on the 72% combo is DI-outable. Platforms make no difference b/c they launch DK higher, not horizontal. The fair or upair to upb(like I mentioned in the post) depends on your DI. If you DI downwards or to the direction olimar is facing, a fair can be used to end the combo, unless of course you DI anywhere but upwards after the fair, in which case an upb is possible. So in short, fair to upb is not very likely. I misworded. What I meant was nair,upair,upb OR nair, fair. Sorry for the misconception.
What about airdodges? It seems to me that "utilt_dtilt, nair, uair, upB" could be airdodged at the Uair or UpB.

Yes it can be dealt with, but I said that it will be used occasionally, to trip you up and make you think twice about bairing. Your timing can't be so perfect that you expect me to be on the ground and you'll hit the fair everytime I occasionally pull it out.
I believe this was in regard to Fair after I dthrow you. I'm not saying I will be predicting and timing it precisely, I'm saying that DK's normal Dthrow followups (Bair, dash shield, punch, UpB) will beat out your Fair attempt, or any aerial attack for that matter.

I understand, but Olimar can roll under your bair if he predicts it and can jump to the other side to avoid a groundpound or a grab.. It's not that hard to do on the slow character with any character for a matter of fact.(except bowser.:/)
If you're rolling into DK at the edge of his Bair range, you place yourself right in front of DK. Nair, or fastfall land into several attack options (I won't list because it's just a repeat of what I've said before). If you roll into him when DK is deep on his Bair(like if for a DI over attempt), you place yourself just at the edge of DK's range, facing him. This is a pretty even situation for both of them, as Oli can utilize shield grab if I ftilt, but DK also can dash grab, DownB or UpB to pressure Oli.

The combos are very reliable and are mostly inescapable. The 100+ I mentioned earlier accounts for followups after the combos. DK can't avoid them all.(follow ups) Mostly, DK will be tossed in the air. He has little to no options when above olimar except to flee to the edge where olimar picks up his game.
The thing about Oli pressuring DK in the air, is that DK can FF into him with punch to break out of a followup. Yes, if he misses, Oli can capitalize with a grab if he gets to the ground quick enough. But anywhere over 70%, if a punch lands, Oli is dead.

I'm still not too sure that DK=Olimar in the matchup. I'm pretty confident that olimar has the advantage. It's much easier to see for yourself how horrendous olimar is to the large characters. I won't be able to battle you online b/c , my connection is abysmal, but I can say that I'm sure several other olimar mains in the Olimar thread would be glad to face you on wifi. Try to get either Shrink, Hyde, Mr. X, Olimarman, or Asob4 to brawl with you. They'll show you what's what.
Well, at this point we seem to be just theory fighting, and until some matches get played out and analyzed, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Thanks for the names, I'll try and get ahold of some of these guys over the weekend and get some games in and record some matches.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Most of the chart seems to make sense. I like how CF and Bowser (even though Bowser got better from melee to brawl) have an extreme disadvantage against life in this game.

Just a random question I hope someone can help me out with:

How the hell does Sonic have a disadvantage against Ike and DK?

Browny

Smash Hater
no way in hell sonic is disadvantaged against ike, i dont know when that was changed, it didnt used to be.

anyway i think Link vs olimar deservers another look at (or maybe even 1 look at...). Links sword goes through everything olimar has in the air, his clawshot has bigger range than olimars fsmash, Links fsmash has really good horizontal knockback which leaves olimar open for easy gimps off stage.

My brothers olimar beats almost every character i use (including the likes or marth, snake etc) but adult link just tears him apart every time. he says link is his hardest match-up, and I can see why when many of olimars tactics are beaten by adult links projectile spam and huge range.

and the dash-cancel usmash makes short work of olimar side-b spam :p

Frown

poekmon
The chart is obviously not very accurate. If you let lvl 9 computers do it, it would make more sense.

Hmm, you could play ten 2:00 matches and see who wins the most. It would take...

((39^2)/2-39)x2 minutes or 1443 minutes which equals 24 hours.

Not including pauses between the matches, it would take 24 hours of constant watching.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
The chart is obviously not very accurate. If you let lvl 9 computers do it, it would make more sense.

Hmm, you could play ten 2:00 matches and see who wins the most. It would take...

(39^2/2-39)x2 minutes or 1443 minutes which equals 24 hours.

Not including pauses between the matches, it would take 24 hours of constant watching.
The chart is based off of humans playing each other. Not CPUs playing each other or humans playing CPUs.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I actually agree with you! it's similiar to Pikachu v Zelda. Zelda just tears up his approaches with range and air defense.

quoting for emphasis.
Don't quote yourself for emphasis on a point you made that's on the SAME PAGE as this earlier post.

Well, at this point we seem to be just theory fighting, and until some matches get played out and analyzed, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Thanks for the names, I'll try and get ahold of some of these guys over the weekend and get some games in and record some matches.
To me at least, it seems you're underestimating olimar's range and quickness now. I agree about which way this is going though. I think it'd be better for some real matches to be played like you said. good luck. If it's too laggy, then they won't count.(obviously) good luck!

Here's some matches I found on youtube. They're not really good, and they're notreally good examples, but they give everyone else, including IvanEva, an idea what the matchup is like: (except he used the whistle way too much and was punished accordingly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpJxEshwL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_D5S1j-EJQ&feature=related

anyway i think Link vs olimar deservers another look at (or maybe even 1 look at...). Links sword goes through everything olimar has in the air, his clawshot has bigger range than olimars fsmash, Links fsmash has really good horizontal knockback which leaves olimar open for easy gimps off stage.

My brothers olimar beats almost every character i use (including the likes or marth, snake etc) but adult link just tears him apart every time. he says link is his hardest match-up, and I can see why when many of olimars tactics are beaten by adult links projectile spam and huge range.

and the dash-cancel usmash makes short work of olimar side-b spam :p
Umm...the people in the link and the olimar threads both agree its olimar>link if not olimar>>link. Go talk to each group. I've actually started a weekly matchup thread in the olimar subforum. This week is actually link! how ironic.

Here's the thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172222

it's new, but it's been there.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
My opinions regarding Falcon:

I think that Falcon vs. Samus is equal enough to merit a ~. Projectiles are very slow so the advantage isn't very much in comparison to other projectile users vs. Falcon. Samus is floatier than most her size imo so easier to juggle than most (which is one thing Falcon's decent at, Uair is a beast move). Doesn't have a distinct priority advantage over Falcon. Slow, so easy to chase. Moves are almost equally laggy. Same lack of reliable kill moves (Falcon might actually have Samus beat in this area). Samus doesn't really have a reach advantage over Falcon. Falcon's AAA combo beats Samus' AA combo imo (you can get 17% easy with Falcon's without getting punished, plus you can combo into AAA combo with Nair). Falcon's UpB > Samus for both recovery and attacking.

Personally I think that Falcon vs. Pikachu deserves a big X (if you're Falcon) or a big check (if you're Pika). Pika has everything Falcon hates. Pika is small, has better reach, has a projectile, is hard to edgeguard (which is where Falcon really needs to excel to win matches), has spammable moves that can't reliably be punished or broken, has quick moves, and has good priority. In my opinion, Pikachu rivals Olimar for Falcon's second worst matchup behind Metaknight. Also one thing I almost forgot is that Pika's Dair outprioritizes Falcon's Uair a lot and is quick enough to break "combos", and without Uair Falcon is really nothing as a character.

I don't think that Snake is a terrible Falcon matchup. He's definitely not good, but I don't think he's quite worthy of the big X. Snake is REALLY easy to edgeguard with Falcon which is a big plus for Falcon in such matchups. Snake has good reach and good priority vs. Falcon, but Snake's projectiles are not that hard to evade with Falcon and as long as you don't walk over a mine, you're pretty safe when you're properly spaced. Falcon's approach with Falcon Kick is quicker than Snake's approaches, and it also does a nice chunk of damage. Snake's running A is good but Falcon's is only slightly worse. Plus Falcon has the speed to run away from Snake's running A spam, which is not the case in almost every other character. In the end, I would say that Snake is about as bad of a matchup for Falcon as R.O.B. is, and honestly taking into account the entire spectrum of Falcon's matchups in Brawl, that's not that bad. Falcon is at a disadvantage, but it's a much more manageable disadvantage than against his really bad matchups.

At the moment I would like to say that Falcon is also pretty much neutral against both Bowser and DK, but I'm not going to really push for that until I look into the matchup more. I've yet to play a Bowser who was on the same level as me as a player overall, so I can't really make a good judgment on that one just yet. I'm definitely inclined to think that due to Bowser's size and lack of speed, he is a neutral for Falcon since generally big, slow characters are the easiest ones for Falcon. If anyone could inform me as to why Bowser is set as having an advantage over Falcon I'd like to hear it because I really don't know much about the matchup and would like to learn. As for DK, other than the stage-spike trick with his Fthrow, I don't see a distinct advantage there either. I've only played one DK who was on the same level as me, but honestly it was a pretty even matchup overall. Not counting our matches at Battlefield where he stage-spiked me a few times, I would say that neither one of us had a distinct character advantage over the other. That's why I'm inclined to say that DK is closer to neutral against Falcon than having an advantage (once again Falcon generally does best against the bigger, slower characters). However once again I'm not going to make a certain judgment yet since my experience with the matchup is so small.

I'm no character matchup expert, but I do have quite a lot of experience with Falcon. Hopefully some of my input will be of use. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Feel free to debate something I said if you find it inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom