• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I never saw the argument.
You arent the end all be all of matchups.
I don't care if you've played Ness, because if you didn't play a GOOD Ness, then it doesn't matter, by your standards. You keep popping up and telling people that their experience of having trouble with Ness/Having an easy time with Zelda doesn't count if they didn't fight a "good" Zelda. That's stupid, especially saying you have had easy times in your matches, we don't know if you've played a good Ness.

I've played more Link's than Toon Link... but I HAVE played TL.
>____>

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I never saw the argument.
You arent the end all be all of matchups.
I don't care if you've played Ness, because if you didn't play a GOOD Ness, then it doesn't matter, by your standards. You keep popping up and telling people that their experience of having trouble with Ness/Having an easy time with Zelda doesn't count if they didn't fight a "good" Zelda. That's stupid, especially saying you have had easy times in your matches, we don't know if you've played a good Ness.

I've played more Link's than Toon Link... but I HAVE played TL.
>____>
it's COMPLETELY valid when everything they say is something no good ze;da would EVER do... i.e. feed you Din's fires or let you grab them without a fight.. or let you projectile spam them... or let you keep her airborne.

Wuite simply... yes, ness makes a few things harder on zelda than she would otherwise have to deal with.... but the same is true the opposite way around... there's no good reason Ness SHOULD be favoured in this matchup.

What do YOU even know about the matchup besides what you believe SHOULD be true? have you played any halfway decent Zeldas with our own ness. or vice versa? are you even good enough with either character to do that?

I mean... honestly, most of the ness > Zelda support is coming from people who shouldn't be posting due to lack of insight into the particular matchup or lack of enough skill period.

you're just wrong escalator... just wrong.

And I DID argue why it's even... even got some ness users to agree with me (Sucessor of Raphael and Nesstec are the only ones I can remember doing so) but really... every argument that came up against it was wrong... the arguments were either:

false... they claimed ness could do things he just can't in the matchup
pr
incomplete... sure they showed where ness had advantages, but casually forgot to mention his disadvanatges

this is where you are falling escalator and your seeming unwillingness to change this leads me to find you, innefective and, thus, no longer worth bothering to read unless you display some kind of dramatic change and suddenly learn how to discuss a matchup without being sutch a petulent child.

gantrain05

Smash Master
it's COMPLETELY valid when everything they say is something no good ze;da would EVER do... i.e. feed you Din's fires or let you grab them without a fight.. or let you projectile spam them... or let you keep her airborne.

Wuite simply... yes, ness makes a few things harder on zelda than she would otherwise have to deal with.... but the same is true the opposite way around... there's no good reason Ness SHOULD be favoured in this matchup.

What do YOU even know about the matchup besides what you believe SHOULD be true? have you played any halfway decent Zeldas with our own ness. or vice versa? are you even good enough with either character to do that?

I mean... honestly, most of the ness > Zelda support is coming from people who shouldn't be posting due to lack of insight into the particular matchup or lack of enough skill period.

you're just wrong escalator... just wrong.

And I DID argue why it's even... even got some ness users to agree with me (Sucessor of Raphael and Nesstec are the only ones I can remember doing so) but really... every argument that came up against it was wrong... the arguments were either:

false... they claimed ness could do things he just can't in the matchup
pr
incomplete... sure they showed where ness had advantages, but casually forgot to mention his disadvanatges

this is where you are falling escalator and your seeming unwillingness to change this leads me to find you, innefective and, thus, no longer worth bothering to read unless you display some kind of dramatic change and suddenly learn how to discuss a matchup without being sutch a petulent child.
no, ness supporters have had reasons why its in favor of ness, his advantages far outweigh his disadvantages, he can DI out of both zelda Usmash and Fsmash easily, which are zeldas main kill moves, and its not a matter of zelda LETTING u keep her in the air, ness can keep her in the air whether she wants to be there or not, bottom line is she's just not fast enuf to really get away and space properly vs ness. the only thing she even has on ness is to try and gimp his recovery, which isn't easy if ness doesn't use his 2nd jump on the stage, and yes, i main ness, and i have more than 1 friend that mains zelda and we are all very good and we all do agree its in ness's favor. so don't use the excuse that people u don't even know suck, when u don't even know they do for sure. and just because your a zelda main doesn't make u the all knowing zelda defender, for all we know ur not a very good zelda either.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
no, ness supporters have had reasons why its in favor of ness, his advantages far outweigh his disadvantages, he can DI out of both zelda Usmash and Fsmash easily, which are zeldas main kill moves, and its not a matter of zelda LETTING u keep her in the air, ness can keep her in the air whether she wants to be there or not, bottom line is she's just not fast enuf to really get away and space properly vs ness. the only thing she even has on ness is to try and gimp his recovery, which isn't easy if ness doesn't use his 2nd jump on the stage, and yes, i main ness, and i have more than 1 friend that mains zelda and we are all very good and we all do agree its in ness's favor. so don't use the excuse that people u don't even know suck, when u don't even know they do for sure. and just because your a zelda main doesn't make u the all knowing zelda defender, for all we know ur not a very good zelda either.
I swear if you say U instead of you one more time, I am personally going to punch a hole through time and space and kill you.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
no, ness supporters have had reasons why its in favor of ness, his advantages far outweigh his disadvantages, he can DI out of both zelda Usmash and Fsmash easily,
He can DI out of her Usmash prett well as long as he's not centered in it... Fmash though... no easier than anyone else can.

which are zeldas main kill moves
except that they aren't.. Fsmash maybe, but not Usmash.

and its not a matter of zelda LETTING u keep her in the air, ness can keep her in the air whether she wants to be there or not
he can't... his moves simply don't do enough to keep her airborn if she doesn;t wanna be.

bottom line is she's just not fast enuf to really get away and space properly vs ness.
It's not a matter of using speed to GET propper spacing, it's about keeping proper spacing... which che can do quite well with her range.

the only thing she even has on ness is to try and gimp his recovery
and her greater power and range.... seriosuly... she has SOOO MAny options for killing ness.
Also, she can counter his projectile game very well and reject his grabbing game better than almost any other character.

which isn't easy if ness doesn't use his 2nd jump on the stage,
a gimp's still a gimp... if I gimp you once at 20 damage... you are at a big disadvantage the rest of the match. I don't have to rely on it... Zelda can kill plenty of other ways.

and yes, i main ness, and i have more than 1 friend that mains zelda and we are all very good and we all do agree its in ness's favor. so don't use the excuse that people u don't even know suck, when u don't even know they do for sure.
I said the majority... since when are you the majority?

and just because your a zelda main doesn't make u the all knowing zelda defender, for all we know ur not a very good zelda either.
Fine...I'm an awful Zelda.... but I still beat earthbounders fancy that.... must be a bad matchup for ness and lucas then O.O

Adapt

Smash Lord

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's true shadow. He can walk through fire now, and thus beats charizard.(charizard=fire pokemon? Duh?) I'm kinda bored. Anyone want to discuss why ivysaur v olimar is neutral? I'm very confused. The fact that ivysaur relies on his range to beat his opponents, and that olimar outranges him doesn't settle with me... I can't remember very well, but if my memory serves right, I think the PT boards thought it was in Olimar's favor.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'd say it's probaly pretty close, believe it or not.

Razor leaf > pikmin throw because it kills pikmin and keeps on truckin... plus, Ivysaur has more range on alot of attacks and tethers edgeguard other tethers well.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's true shadow. He can walk through fire now, and thus beats charizard.(charizard=fire pokemon? Duh?) I'm kinda bored. Anyone want to discuss why ivysaur v olimar is neutral? I'm very confused. The fact that ivysaur relies on his range to beat his opponents, and that olimar outranges him doesn't settle with me... I can't remember very well, but if my memory serves right, I think the PT boards thought it was in Olimar's favor.

Seriously?
O_O

Do you think its possible then for other characters to be changed somewhat depending on their costume?

Seriously Dark Sonic must have the power to like, go super anytime.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Actually, the PT boards thought it neutral. And besides, that last chart of ours is out of date. We're working on updating it a character at a time.

And what's this about Olimar walking through fire? I just tried it with all of Olimar's costumes and I didn't see him walking through fire.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
In my defense, people have suggested stupider things on this message board and have been completely serious about them.

It gets hard to tell the difference between sarcasm and seriousness after awhile.

mr_tolkien

Smash Rookie
Mmmmmh ... After having made about 50 VS Pit with my Bowser, against 5 different players, I would say that Pit has a Huge advantage against Bowser.

Why ?
Bowser Up Smash doesn't even trade with Pit flying A :embarrass
Arrow Spamming is a huge pain for Bowser, even if doing a lot of Power Shields
Bowser Buster VERY hard to do against Pit, he has the exact range needed to spam you without fearing your buster.

And a lot of other things !

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
I don't pretend to be the best... or even close to it... heck, I'm not even Pro.... but I AM a decent zelda. better than the scruff who will din's fire spam. And I've played against good ness and lucas... there's quite a gap there... lucas has a VERY slight advantage on Zelda.... ness has absolutely ZERO advantage. if you haven't played a good Zelda... what basis do you even have?
Well there we go. Your not even that good. Ignore this dude.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
A player isn't better at the game than you? It doesn't matter if he actually knows more about it than you.
Look at me, I'm certainly not pro but I at least try to post intelligently. Most high-level players around here just spam stuff. Seriously, this is the stupidest argument ever.
I vote we ban the Ness vs Zelda argument from this thread, because it's been going in circles for far too long and it turns every single poster into a jack@$$.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Well there we go. Your not even that good. Ignore this dude.
Are you a pro?
Can you consider yourself great?
Have you ever placed well in a tournament?
Are you recognized by the competitive community?

If no to any of these, under your own (rather stupid) logic your argument should not be considered.

He doesn't need to be a pro in order to recognize an advantage/disadvantage.
Heck many SBR goers aren't considered the best of the best in the smash community yet their ideas, arguments are well backed up and as such,t hey have influence over things.

Frankly the fact you are looking for any reason to disregard what he has said means that you yourself should be disregarded.

You know what? Why am I bothering stupid people are stupid.>=(

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Are you a pro?
Can you consider yourself great?
Have you ever placed well in a tournament?
Are you recognized by the competitive community?

If no to any of these, under your own (rather stupid) logic your argument should not be considered.

He doesn't need to be a pro in order to recognize an advantage/disadvantage.
Heck many SBR goers aren't considered the best of the best in the smash community yet their ideas, arguments are well backed up and as such,t hey have influence over things.

Frankly the fact you are looking for any reason to disregard what he has said means that you yourself should be disregarded.

You know what? Why am I bothering stupid people are stupid.>=(
thanks... and, no, I'm not a pro Zelda... but I HAVE gone to tournaments and not been totally embarassed. I'm one of the better zeldas that visit this board... maybe second only to the pros... maybe not, but the fact reamains, I'm semi-pro which is more than skilled enough to know that the heck I am talking about.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
This is so out of date and wrong when is a update coming (the Yoshi part is so wrong for updating that go to the Yoshi match up thread.)

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Me? A pro.

Laughs maniacally like Light did in Death Note.

I am no Pro.

No really I consider myself good. Going to local tournies and owning with Ness.

Okay maybe I overreacted. But I really don't believe that Zelda has an advanatge over Ness NOR Lucas. Hell, playing constant Zelda's has shown me that Ness psi magnet has a bigger reach than Lucas. ( above him)

I love playing in tournies, but when I see Marths, I get pissed.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

I am no Pro

No really I consider myself good. Going to local tournies and owning with Ness.
(>.>)

Okay maybe I overreacted. But I really don't believe that Zelda has an advanatge over Ness NOR Lucas. Hell, playing constant Zelda's has shown me that Ness psi magnet has a bigger reach than Lucas. ( above him)
This reflects on the matchup how?

Wait until you play a good Marth then you'll have a real reason to be pissed.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

she's evn with ness I said... not > than ness (though if this new Zelda AT pans out... maybe she WILL end up being >Ness) but I'll wifi you whenever

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
What is this new AT? I looked over in the Zelda boards and didn't see it.
nvm... I practiced it... it seems to only work on wario... maybe jiggly too

Regardless... Zelda ***** wario... she had a check before anyway... and the new AT allows her to basically turn any grab into a free lightning kick

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
nvm... I practiced it... it seems to only work on wario... maybe jiggly too

Regardless... Zelda ***** wario... she had a check before anyway... and the new AT allows her to basically turn any grab into a free lightning kick
Yeah Wario is getting shafted by this release grab stuff with the taller characters... Sakurai and Co. never cease to amaze me with the measurements they took to "balance" the game.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Olimar v Sheik is not advantageous for Olimar. It's more like even, if not advantageous for her. Sheik's tilts have priority over the pikmin attacks. Her aerials have priority over Olimar in general, she's good at gimp killing Olimar with fair. She doesn't have problems racking or killing either. Sheik is very fast and can follow up her attacks to quickly get Olimar off the stage.(better than most characters at least) Sheik can't be juggled by Olimar b/c her very quick nair outprioritizes every pikmin move. SHnair>jab makes a very reliable approach option that never fails too. Everything points towards Sheik in this matchup except that Olimar has his crazy grabs, and has no trouble killing at all.
You forgot: Sheik's dair beats Olimar's usmash. :laugh: It's a pet favorite. But yeah, all that is true.

Sorry for double posting, sincere accident.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
They cannot be equal.

if amd when ivana changes this chart, I can safely bet that Zelda and Ness will be neutral, while Lucas and Zelda will be Lucas favor. WHY?

Ness great DI screws over Zelda's smashes. Her bad recovery allows her to be spiked with Ness Dair.

No one mentions the Lucas vs Zelda matchup huh.
Anyway, IMO Psi magnet stops her best approach, dins fire. Thats like stopping Snakes Ftilt. If that doesn't mean a disadvantage nothing will.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Sucessor of Raphael changed his mind about Ness>Zelda? Quote/link?
I did.

What worked on paper didn't work in the match. I didn't realize how pathetic Ness's ground game is compared to Zelda's. I mean, it wasn't impossible to get ground hits in, but I could only get a good 5-15% (not counting the bat smash) on Zelda at any one encounter on the ground. Most characters don't have a skill like Nayru's Love, and most don't have a Dsmash that comes out lightning quick. It also doesn't help that approaching from the air opens Zelda up to the option of an Usmash. Of course, on the flipside, Ness can combo Zelda in the air, or at the very least, he can get her in the air and pester with PK Thunder (and in my experience, it's not always reflected).

I'm beginning to think the match is even. PSI Magnet is a minor, minor advantage, if it is one at all. You only get one or two Din's in on an opponent in a match, and that's usually if you're far away - PSI magnet up close gets you punished with Zelda, as it would with any character. Zelda's basically a fortress to Ness with her defenses, but once he gets past her defenses, he can rack up damage quite fast with his aerials. I personally found the match-up to be a pain with Ness.

Also, on the topic of infinites, I feel Charizard v Ness is NOT a large disadvantage. Without the infinite, Charizard got *****, Ness typically does this to large foes, and even with it it's not even close to the difficulty of the Marth matchup, who was bad to begin with. The infinite isn't too devastating at lower percents; with proper DI and getting out as fast as possible, you should be able to make it across the stage with out much percent, and you have to factor in where you were grabbed in the first place. Just like the other characters who get infinited and dont have large disadvantages, Ness can space himself to avoid the grab.
I don't know... most Charizards aren't terribly difficult to me, but that range, power, and weight might be able to hold that large X. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see it as a small x, and it just might get changed to that, but Charizard has other things going for him (like that fair).

While I do feel that Ness has an advantage over Zelda, it's slight. Playing multiple Zelda mains against Ness shuts down her Forward B appraoch (psi magnet) Ness, semi walls Zelda when she tries to recovery, and her being extremely light (lighter than Ness eww) makes her sucseptable to Ness' nasty back throw (power is determined on your weight. Light characters, die easier, while fa- I mean heavy will never die. This makes facing Snake a drag) Anyway, my 2 cents.
Ness does not shut down that approach. He has to dodge it just like everyone else or he'll 1) get hit by the fire, or 2) use the PSI magnet (which won't be coming out in time anyway unless you KNOW it's coming) and get punished by any of her follow-up attacks.

Being extremely light doesn't really matter much when it comes to a b-throw. Zelda is easily one of the most difficult characters to grab in the game because she is designed to keep you away from her when you get too close. It doesn't kill at some abnormally low % unless you're near the edge or if Zelda DIs it. Being light and "dying easily" barely accounts for anything. That's like saying Ganon's hard to kill for Ness but Squirtle is easy because of weight alone.

Not ONE mention of Lucas (he has an advantage over her)
Read a bit. He's said Lucas 6:4 or 5.5:4.5 Zelda before.

I vote we ban the Ness vs Zelda argument from this thread
Yeah the hell right. Skip over it if you don't want to read it. End of.

And to avoid quoting all of the other Ness vs. Zelda posts... STH might be one of the very few arguing for Zelda, but it counts for something, especially when most people use ad hominems and theoretical logic to back up their claims that they obviously didn't get from experience. Also, to whoever mentioned being professional, that's a stupid thought. You don't have to be a pro to find strengths and weaknesses in match-ups. You're not born a pro. You have to start from somewhere, and finding strengths and weaknesses is part of bettering your own game plan.

They cannot be equal.

if amd when ivana changes this chart, I can safely bet that Zelda and Ness will be neutral, while Lucas and Zelda will be Lucas favor. WHY?

Ness great DI screws over Zelda's smashes. Her bad recovery allows her to be spiked with Ness Dair.

No one mentions the Lucas vs Zelda matchup huh.
Anyway, IMO Psi magnet stops her best approach, dins fire. Thats like stopping Snakes Ftilt. If that doesn't mean a disadvantage nothing will.
Zelda has bad recovery? LOL

First off, Ness isn't gonna get a dair past that uair. Second, good luck at getting a dair off of someone who can warp in several directions at any given point in time. Don't forget to mention that Zelda has attacks that outrange the living hell out of Ness's ground game, and also don't forget that her nair also has good priority, her lightning kicks kill at very, very low %s, and nothing of Ness's is getting past that uair.

Anyway, read this thread instead of going "NOT ONE LUCAS MENTION" over and over. Also, once again, you're kidding yourself if you honestly believe PSI magnet kills off Din's Fire, at all. At the most, it'll cut down her pressuring game, but it won't nullify it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ok guys new matchups, since the Zelda vs Ness/Lucas thing has sorta taken a toll on the innocent bystanders:

Wario vs Dedede: Big Check for Dedede, Big X-mark for Wario. There's no competent/well informed Wario out there that is gonna debate this, Dedede is now almost universally considered Wario's hardest matchup. I can discuss this matchup if someone wants me to but I really doubt someone needs for me to go in depth here.

Wario vs Snake: I am shaky on this one. Before, Wario was considered to possibly have a small advantage over Snake. With grab releases in play however, this makes it more even, if not in Snake's favor. Anyone care to discuss this one with me?

Wario vs Kirby: I had a friendly debate on the Kirby boards and we came to the consensus that Wario has a small advantage in that matchup.

Wario vs Ike: Seriously, why would Ike have an advantage here? It's not even either, Wario just flat out destroys him up close and in the air. Ike has some fast, good moves and he isn't that much of a pushover in the right hands, but he also has a lot of bad qualities that Wario just mutilates him for (Bad recovery while Wario is good at gimping/edgeguarding, slow aerials/moves in general while Wario is usually faster, and lots of cooldown lag where Wario is considered a punishment master.) It's not a Big Check for Wario, but to say that Ike has the advantage here or that the matchup is even would be silly.

Thoughts?

gantrain05

Smash Master
on the wario vs ike thing, i know that Ike was rediculously overplayed in the opening months of brawl, so now only really a few good ikes remain, but i've had the opportunity to see some very good ikes, and those people really know how to use ikes speed moves with very good spacing, its very hard to beat a competant ike, especially when they know when to use their super armor. i've also been to a tourney where my brother who played as ike, and he's only played the game maybe a total of 5 times before the tournament, for a total of maybe 5 hours, actually defeated a wario that actually ended up winning the tourney and was very good. (double elimination). so i don't know, i think in the hands of an ike master, wario would have alot of difficulty getting thru ikes power/range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom