• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastaboy

Smash Champion
parties have agreed on a Neutral Matchup due to several reasons to the point where it's now common knowledge. Plus you haven't really said why you think Yoshi sucks. I would love to see your opinion on it.

And whats your beef with Sonic too? You seem to have the same problem with him....
maybe for the first time a mk has to face a yoshi it wuld be neutral, but after that a mk just has to beware of his grab release game and mk shuld **** after that.

o and just because sonic has no good matchs doesnt means hes haten on him, plus he shuld be hatin on sonic, he sux.

onyx: face the facts pt sux, dont spew ur range in out in here

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Pastaboy, everything in your post is either wrong and/or pure bias.
You suck. You're gonna be the first person ever on my ignore list, congrats.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Pastaboy, everything in your post is either wrong and/or pure bias.
You suck. You're gonna be the first person ever on my ignore list, congrats.
I second that. He's also going to be the first for me.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Adumbrodeus: Yes, in my eyes he still sucks. However, according to the SBR tier list, my eyes aren't the only ones that see things that way. Actually, I think that Yoshi is much lower than he should be. I'd put him above Ness and Lucas in bottom tier, which still constitutes suck. I mean, how is he lower than Samus? At least he has a very strong kill move (up air). Then again, he also has Yoshi's Island DS...
On the other hand we have SBR people arguing that he's a mid tier, regardless, as I pointed out before INDIVIDUAL MATCH-UPS DO NOT EQUATE TO TIER POSITIONS! He could hard counter half the cast, but if the other half hard-countered him, he still wouldn't be all that tournament viable.

The fact is, for the reason I already pointed out, we really haven't seen a good Yoshi, barring Pride.

Lol, and I would consider a death grab a strong kill move, especially since he has it on a lot of the cast.

And... Yoshi's island DS, pardon my french, but are you ****ing insane? The quality of a random Yoshi game doesn't mean anything in regards to how good a character Yoshi is in this game.

Nor does how good he was in the last game(s) in the series btw.

Oh yeah, and Yoshi sucks.
Yay for personal bias!

efg

Smash Rookie
could you make the big check marks purple, and small disadvantage yellow? makes it easier to see :]

it's an ok table, i printed it out, just some match ups could be ruled out with common sense/analytical data

keep up the good job, and update it as needed (i'm marking alot of stuff like yoshi, sonic, etc.)

have to keep in mind the speed of the chars etc

Crystanium

Smash Hero
How is Bowser equivalent to Samus in regard to the match-up? I think someone seriously needs to check the Bowser boards, as well as their match-up information made by MrEh. 70-30 comes to mind, being in Samus' favor. Oh, and Xyro approves of my message.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Pastaboy = the Jesus of this thread. Seriously. He speaks the truth.

Oh, and please, I thought it was obvious, my likes/dislikes have nothing to do with how I view match-ups. With the exception of Marth, all of my favorite characters suck in Brawl. I love Pokémon (at least I used to back in the day) and I've actually recently picked him up as my secondary. However, let's not lie to ourselves here. He sucks Pokéballs. For the Pokémon match-ups I also had to consider the effect of stamina on how long that monster will go before he has to give his opponent a free smash switch out.

As for Yoshi. He's not that great from what I've seen. Yup, those are the key words there, I know. Ottawa isn't exactly big on Smash; our Smash community is relatively tiny and so perhaps we live a very sheltered life as far as Smash match-ups and the like go. Nobody I've met has ever thought that Yoshi was equal to Metaknight, despite knowing about (or perhaps just hearing about) chain throws and such. Oh, and I'll continue to make jabs at Yoshi because it seems to rile up the Yoshi mains. :p

We had a Yoshi main and he floored everybody when he first came in. We called him The Yoshi Guy since he actually knew how to use him. Use him he did... until he found that he just couldn't get past the Marths, Metas, Snakes, etc. He uses Game and Watch now because Yoshi just didn't cut it. Do other Yoshi's cut it? Maybe. I just haven't really heard of any yet.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I really like how there's posters/players like Mmac who argue for the characters that have generally been looked down upon. Now how come I don't get any Lucas mains coming in here posting that he's underrated?

efg: Sorry, but I have no intention of changing the little icons until I finish up my flash version (which may not happen for a while...). See, my overall goal is to create a nice little Flash app that is basically composed of a prettier chart where each match-up icon is a button that can be clicked on for match-up specific information. As well, each character portrait can be clicked on as well for any pertinent information. I'd then be using that app/chart/guide/whatever as a resume piece, something I can give to first time players, and as a reference for myself.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Only cause he fits your biases.

Oh, and please, I thought it was obvious, my likes/dislikes have nothing to do with how I view match-ups. With the exception of Marth, all of my favorite characters suck in Brawl. I love Pokémon (at least I used to back in the day) and I've actually recently picked him up as my secondary. However, let's not lie to ourselves here. He sucks Pokéballs. For the Pokémon match-ups I also had to consider the effect of stamina on how long that monster will go before he has to give his opponent a free smash switch out.
He has issues, but learn timing. Part of being good with a character is learning to minimize their weaknesses.

Switch while your opponent is recovering, problem solved, no free smash.

Us Zelda/Sheik users figured that trick out a long time ago.

As for Yoshi. He's not that great from what I've seen. Yup, those are the key words there, I know. Ottawa isn't exactly big on Smash; our Smash community is relatively tiny and so perhaps we live a very sheltered life as far as Smash match-ups and the like go. Nobody I've met has ever thought that Yoshi was equal to Metaknight, despite knowing about (or perhaps just hearing about) chain throws and such. Oh, and I'll continue to make jabs at Yoshi because it seems to rile up the Yoshi mains. :p
Then your community is very sheltered indeed.

We had a Yoshi main and he floored everybody when he first came in. We called him The Yoshi Guy since he actually knew how to use him. Use him he did... until he found that he just couldn't get past the Marths, Metas, Snakes, etc. He uses Game and Watch now because Yoshi just didn't cut it. Do other Yoshi's cut it? Maybe. I just haven't really heard of any yet.
Marths I understand. MKs sort of. Snakes, no way. First time I picked up Yoshi (which was after I learned about his death grab) I 3-stocked a Snake of about even skill with me.

Every single stock ended because I got the death-grab.

The point is, this guy either didn't know how to use Yoshi properly, sucked with him, or simply quit before the discovery of these advanced tactics (which are a recent development).

Prior to the deathgrab, there's no way Yoshi could even go even with Snake, let alone have an advantage. The fact is that Yoshi recently had a tactical epiphany. He is NOTHING like he once was.

So overall, your friends do not trump hard data.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I really like how there's posters/players like Mmac who argue for the characters that have generally been looked down upon. Now how come I don't get any Lucas mains coming in here posting that he's underrated?
Look, the point isn't that Yoshi is underrated, the point is he's got the match-up.

Here, you're the one who's arguing against the common wisdom, saying that Yoshi vs. MK isn't even.

Why? Because you think he's a totally sucky character, and a sucky character can't be neutral with the best character of the game, right? Wrong, it's not too unusual for an overall poor or mediocre character to specifically counter enough attributes of a top tier character to make a neutral or advantagious match-up against the character. It's not about overall ability, if Yoshi sucks, so what? That doesn't change his MK match-up.

Really, you're like the person who comes in saying how underrated a character, except in this case it's you saying it's overrated. The problem is... no evidence.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
stamina plays a very small part in pokemon trainer matchups. it's pretty much negligible.

Flayl

Smash Hero
On Link, Bowser only has the grab release chaingrab (which he has on like nearly every character) and grab release side B.
Like Bowser's going to get near Link anyway lol. Link has three projectiles to keep him away pretty handily.
Wrong. Also Sonic does not have a sizeable advantage over Bowser, the only evidence you provided was wrong.

But maybe if you spam enough about it you'll change it!

On the other side of the coin, Bowser does not = Samus.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Yeah, I'll give you that one. I actually out down what he can do from an airgrab release on Link, and not ground. However, his ground release options against Link aren't as devastating as they are on other characters.
Also Sonic does not have a sizeable advantage over Bowser, the only evidence you provided was wrong.
Which evidence, and how was it wrong? You can't just disregard the evidence because you can't face the fact that Bowser has a disadvantage on yet another character.
:034:

But maybe if you spam enough about it you'll change it!
Funny you should mention spam. At least when I've posted I've been critical and given reasons. All you've done is complain and ***** and give me no reasons whatsoever as to why I'm wrong. Basically, shut the **** up about spamming if that's all you're doing yourself.

On the other side of the coin, Bowser does not = Samus.
Agreed, lol. He gets projectile spammed the hell out of, and can't approach.

Also :

You wonder why people get annoyed with you and this thread, lol.
I have an amazing proposition. Let's listen to the massive bias against characters when determining match-ups and not listen TO THE ****ING MAINS WHO ACTUALLY KNOW THE CHARACTER.
Not every main has bias towards his character. I'd count myself as one of those. I'm not going to start making outlandish claims about Sonic having the advantage on Marth or going even with Metaknight or some ****.

Edit : I don't think I've ever sworn out of frustration in the two years I've been here.
Way to go, guys :\

Tenki

Smash Hero
@ ROOOOY: I haven't followed your arguments on Sonic vs Bowser, but take this into account...

If any of your arguments have to do with baiting/punishing an attack (ESPECIALLY rarely-used moves), discard it. In the same way you wouldn't want an Ike matchup being discussed on the fact that F-smash can be dodged and punished, Bowser matchup discussion should take into account his most used moves. Really, if a Bowser is missing so much against Sonic, then he's making alot of wasted movements (bad), or needs to learn the matchup a little more.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It's mostly the fact that Sonic just has the speed to punish any lag that a Bowser has, the the fact that it's really easy to knock him into the air (he should be getting like, 30% from this really). And I was more commenting on Bowser's defensive options being punishable (dsmash/upb/whatever OOS) and against Sonic Bowser HAS to play defensively and use these moves a lot more often then they usually would. This is from Sonic's cancelled approaches (these AREN'T advanced at all, and have to be considered (it's like saying let's discredit Falco's SHDL because it's not something people will be using often))

I also presumed that this discussion would be at high levels of play. Whilst an Ike won't be throwing out fsmashes, a Sonic won't be scrubby and roll into the ****, either.

What does count towards a match-up discussion if not this?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
also, Zelda is a hard counter to ice climbers and DDD

discussion is in the thread that I posted earlier.

Tenki

Smash Hero
And I was more commenting on Bowser's defensive options being punishable (dsmash/upb/whatever OOS) and against Sonic Bowser HAS to play defensively and use these moves a lot more often then they usually would. This is from Sonic's cancelled approaches (these AREN'T advanced at all, and have to be considered (it's like saying let's discredit Falco's SHDL because it's not something people will be using often))

I also presumed that this discussion would be at high levels of play. Whilst an Ike won't be throwing out fsmashes, a Sonic won't be scrubby and roll into the ****, either.
Jab? Bowser's jabs and tilts are freakishly long range.

jump+aerial/side-B?

A Bowser familiar with the matchup should know how and what to camp against Sonic.

Anyway, if you were talking about OoS options, then I guess that could count. But something like ASC cancel > bait a move > punish shouldn't count in matchup discussions.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Jab? Bowser's jabs and tilts are freakishly long range.
Other than jab, all the others (bar dtilt) are pretty slow. Sure, they've got good range, but what good is it if they're not going to consistantly hit?

jump+aerial/side-B?
True.

Anyway, if you were talking about OoS options, then I guess that could count. But something like ASC cancel > bait a move > punish shouldn't count in matchup discussions.
I'm not trying to be an *** by asking this, but what exactly do we have to consider with Sonic, then? Considering that all of these tricks are absolutely essential to Sonic's gameplay and every respectable Sonic should be using them, I can't see what else his match-up would revolve around, considering these fake-out type things are main strats.
I see you avoided the but about it being high level gameplay ;]
Every Sonic at high level is going to be using all these tricks, just like other characters will be using mindgamey tricks and will be considering these in their match-ups. To me, a Sonic counter is someone with little punishable lag from baited out moves, and is generally not safe defensively.
Bowser is the anti both of these, on varying levels (defensively he's decent I guess)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
My counter argument would that be Sonic has better tools than more or less anybody else in the game to safetly mindgame the opponent to making a mistake at least a few times (nobody has PERFECT reading ability, unless your opponent is predictable, which is unlikely at a high level of play) and being safe (since most are shield cancels) if you're predicted. Otherwise..

Well played.
You win, lol.
I'm never going to argue another match-up ever again though. I don't think I could bring myself to just talking about mindlessly spindashing at the opponent.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
because the counter example would be that a good player can probably read and anti-mindgame. Or that at a high level of play, missing is unlikely.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196545

;]
The point of a character being good at mindgaming is that he/she/it/potato is in a position where he/she/it/potato can use a number of different options with discrete counters. If your opponent picks wrong, then you get the attack in. Or, better yet, you have options after your opponent has commited to a defensive option to make sure that you use a move that your opponent hasn't countered, and he/she/it/potato has to decide a defensive option before you reach this point.

Point is, different characters have different options, and the more options you have with totally different counters, the better your chances of actually hitting. Granted, if you become predictable, you'll get punished anyway, but the point stands. Characters with no options simply get read and beaten far too easily, while characters with many options actually are successful.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
this.

Which brings into question.
if a character has that many options would this mean in such a case their capability would be taken into account.

Tl;Dr If a character is very difficult to read would that be taken into account during the match?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
this.

Which brings into question.
if a character has that many options would this mean in such a case their capability would be taken into account.

Tl;Dr If a character is very difficult to read would that be taken into account during the match?
Well, they took it into account for Falcon's matchups in melee, so I don't see why not.

Ruse

Fox
nope,even match up

Jiggs can just hit Nana off the stage and (with her infamous air-game) ensure that she never makes it back on. Once Nana is removed from the equation, one Climber doesn't really have any good approaches/uber broken attacks, and the climbers recovery is gimped.
When going for rest combos its pretty hard not to hit at least one of them because of how close they always are to eachother. Its also pretty hard for IC to chainthrow jiggs because she is both an uncommon foe, and super floaty. Be advised that IC's Up B wil **** jiggs.currently a 5:5 tho,possibliy 45:55 jiggs
Even is understandable, but definitely not disadvantaged, unlike what the chart shows.

Other than that, though, I don't notice anything wrong.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Pastaboy isn't infallible. From what I've seen, there are people who disagree with Pastaboy about what he says, and how what he says is biased. What's sad about all of this is the fact that you have an out-dated Samus guide created by Doomgaze. Let's not forget that Doomgaze has quit continuing his guide, and so I took it upon myself to create a Samus guide after I had first made it the official Samus match-up thread. It has been stickied by phanna for a reason. In fact, phanna said of my guide,

"Great stuff, please keep up the good work to help out fellow Samus players!"

Guess what? Bowser was my first choice to discuss in regard to the match-ups. There was only one fellow who thought it was easy to play against Samus as Bowser in my Match-Up Between Samus and Bowser thread, which you can find in the Bowser Character Chat. I think MrEh, who has provided information about the match-up between Samus and Bowser, is a more reliable fellow than Pastaboy.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Well, I'm glad to see that unlike every other match-up the Bowser Samus one seems to be universally agreed upon. Yes, I'll absolutely be changing that back. I'm not terribly sure why I changed it to begin with. Probably something to do with her lack of kill moves. I dunno. Either way, it got me to look up Samus stuff big time and I'm glad I did. People like Tudor make me smile.

By the way, am I blind (probably am...)? I can't find anything on the Snake boards concerning Yoshi...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I thought they hadn't. @_@
Falcon's incredible dash dance was mentioned all the time for baiting and punishing Marth's fairs. His tech chasing game was mentioned all the time too (though that was pretty much guranteed with Falcon's speed, but there were a few things he could do that relied solely on prediction).

VEC

Smash Journeyman
*******es, Luigi Gets BIG *** MUTHA ****N X on MK, are you whack, go to the luigi boards ****

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Regarding Olimar vs. Peach...
Both boards agree that Peach has a large advantage over him (70-30). I suppose a double-tick wouldn't hurt anyone.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Bowser > Mario
When I read this, I knew the Mushroom Kingdom was doomed.

Heh, I havent checked the list in a long time now.
DK doesnt have an advantage over MK anymore? I'm an MK main and I call bull on that. I still have some trouble against DK for the same reasons as before, SA frames, hard to hit Up-B. I guess he's Easier to combo than a few people, but DK has the Power and Reach....

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

DK doesnt have an advantage over MK anymore? I'm an MK main and I call bull on that. I still have some trouble against DK for the same reasons as before, SA frames, hard to hit Up-B. I guess he's Easier to combo than a few people, but DK has the Power and Reach....
Play asfely and you'll win more easily.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Cause people find out it like the Snake match-up. If Mk spaces well and plays it safe, everything DK does suddenly becomes punishable.

Play this match-up like you would if you were a marth player (just inside Dk's ftilt range), you'll find that everything DK does is punishable, while you still have unpunishable options to pressure him. From there, better rushdown wins the day.

Better reach doesn't mean anything if it's punishable.

Sgt Isaac

Smash Cadet
MK still has neutral matchups?
TL: Nado goes through boomerang and uncharged arrows which means no getting away unless you have a bomb in your hands. Also TL has serious troubles killing MK, Fsmash is way to punishable and Usmash has too short range for a even decently-spaced MK.
DK: He just has too much lag on pretty much everything. Miss with anything but maybe a dtilt and prepare to get Nado'd, Ftilted, Dsmashed, UpB'd, etc... MK can simply play defensively and punish unrelentingly.
Zelda: wtf? Nayru's love may give you some space, but way too easily gimped and recovery is very punishable if you don't sweetspot the ledge every time. Zelda simply doesn't have the ground range or priority to face MK on the ground and she'd get destroyed in the air.

Out of all the Matchups I'd say snake is the most even, Grenade dropping and playing very defensively can give you a good chance against an impatient MK.....with one arm... and no controller... >.>

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda's gorund range is actually sufficient to combat MK... it's the fact that it's not fast enough that's the problem... but yeah... MK v. Zelda is 55:45 MK at best but it's probably considered asoft counter victory for MK

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I still fail to see why. A character, who loses to Marth (and Zelda does), loses to MK as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom