• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BRAWL+ Character Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cman

Smash Ace
I really think this should be scratched for a while. We don't really know that much about any of the new characters, there haven't been any tournaments, and the game is still changing. You can't possible hope to accurately rank them yet.

KarateF22

Smash Journeyman
Just to point out, a grab is a form of punish K.O. for the ice climbers... as such ice climbers shouldnt have an F for punishing, as if they land a grab due to an opponent's mistake, they can theoretically finish them with their evil grab game... even from 0%. should be more like B or C. However, Ice climbers should get a D, not a C, for gimp resistance. In certain situations its EXTREMELY easy to gimp ice climbers. They are: When seperated, when one is under hitstun and the other isnt (disallows cooperative up+B and side+b moves). and when simply SoPo (solo popo). For resilience, the ability to resist most if not all chain grabs very well due to having a second character model to attack with when grabbed warrants them a B (it can sometimes interrupt normal chains too, if an attack ahppens to hit one but not the other... your free to attack). The only reason they dont have an A is due to the fact that when seperated their resilence is pretty mediocre.

Everything else seems pretty much right.... their gimping is pretty horrid... the only thing you can do is mindgame their air dodge into a fair spike... good luck with that. The one thing that MAY give them a D instead of F for gimping is the fact that their bair is pretty fast and hits hard for the speed it comes out with decent (but not great) range. It can KO at 80-120%

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You know, this grading system isn't working that great... What if we ranked the characters in a "tier" for each ability and graded it from there .I believe the "tier" list would make a good relative standing of people understanding why their character got a certain grade when they see what characters are above him/her. And No posting "X character is better than Y Character" without solid reasons why comparing both characters to the whole cast.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
That's not fair! Why no E!? You're being cheap!
Because E is for Scrubs. Duh.

You know, this grading system isn't working that great... What if we ranked the characters in a "tier" for each ability and graded it from there .I believe the "tier" list would make a good relative standing of people understanding why their character got a certain grade when they see what characters are above him/her. And No posting "X character is better than Y Character" without solid reasons why comparing both characters to the whole cast.

Magic word is tier. This word is no good.

Whats making this grading system so hard is that people fail to understand this is a bell curve. Someone has to be the best/worst at something.

EDIT:

LOL. There is NO WAY Mario has a better GTFO off Me than Marth. If Marth is a C, than so is Mario. If Mario is a B, then so is Marth.

Marth is a C in gimping as well. He's okay in it, but he can only go out so far, and even doing so causes himself to be put at risk for being gimped.
THISSSSSS

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
mario's everything needs to be lowered down one letter grade tbh <<"

He is indeed, the 'average' character of smash

and what everyone else keeps saying about the spacing

it's wrong

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
adding E grade would make alot more sense
Nonono no no...

E is for Scrubs.

:3
That and A - F is more traditional if we're going by letter grades.

mario's everything needs to be lowered down one letter grade tbh <<"

He is indeed, the 'average' character of smash
I beg to differ. he may be a jack of trades, and has his average qualities, but he excels at alot ie Combos (cue my sig) and gimping (cue cape and fludd and fireballs)

His defense is average, but his offense is anything but par.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Just to point out, a grab is a form of punish K.O. for the ice climbers... as such ice climbers shouldnt have an F for punishing, as if they land a grab due to an opponent's mistake, they can theoretically finish them with their evil grab game... even from 0%. should be more like B or C. However, Ice climbers should get a D, not a C, for gimp resistance. In certain situations its EXTREMELY easy to gimp ice climbers. They are: When seperated, when one is under hitstun and the other isnt (disallows cooperative up+B and side+b moves). and when simply SoPo (solo popo). For resilience, the ability to resist most if not all chain grabs very well due to having a second character model to attack with when grabbed warrants them a B (it can sometimes interrupt normal chains too, if an attack ahppens to hit one but not the other... your free to attack). The only reason they dont have an A is due to the fact that when seperated their resilence is pretty mediocre.

Everything else seems pretty much right.... their gimping is pretty horrid... the only thing you can do is mindgame their air dodge into a fair spike... good luck with that. The one thing that MAY give them a D instead of F for gimping is the fact that their bair is pretty fast and hits hard for the speed it comes out with decent (but not great) range. It can KO at 80-120%
The thing is the ice climbers grab is hard to land and can be made a non issue if the opponent gets rid of the cpu. Since no other character in the game has such reliance on another character I would argue that the throw is puts them in the F catagory (assuming that is the only way they can gimp people).

D

Deleted member

Ice climbers should have at least a C or a B in spacing, that's basically what blizzard, and to a certain extent squall hammer are for. Maybe a D in gimping because of their bair...
Edit: nah F is pretty accurate.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ice climbers should have at least a C or a B in spacing, that's basically what blizzard, and to a certain extent squall hammer are for. Maybe a D in gimping because of their bair...
Edit: nah F is pretty accurate.
I think ICs are a C in spacing, as blizzard doesn't serve as a good spacing tool imo.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Ha ha, I like how more balanced Brawl + seems to be, everyone on the list excels and sucks in at least on category.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If IC's were good at spacing, they'd get grabs more.

ThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThisThis

45thisssssss

Makes me think that they should be a D now, but I'm a nice guy, so I stick by my C, but if anyone argues higher...

ILL GIVE THEM SUCH A PINCH.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
can you explain what's wrong with the spacing scores?

ok falcon (F) vs. jiggs (D)

better spacing:
falcon: down b
side B
up tilt
foward tilt
Down tilt
down smash
foward smash
grab
all his aerials i think (although b air and f air for jiggs are weird)
pretty much his whole moveset

falcon = up atleast a grade, 2 would be better.
jiggs = F, horrible spacing
fox = an F, what's so bad about his spacing?
lucas and ness = 1 grade lower atleast, it's one of their main issue's
samus = 1 grade lower atleast, maybe 2.
DK = uber spacing, A+
ike = up a grade atleast, more like 2, whole moveset is good range, + uber jab at close
link = atleast 1 grade up, more like 2, his sword is long.
G dorf = is not that bad, up a grade
zelda = is an A? but Dk isn't WTF?, down 1
toon link = sword is short, how on earth does he having better spacing than big sword reg link? down 1 at least (his like ness, long range effective moves are lacking, but once his close his ok)
diddy kong = an A? Does he even have a long range move? biggest wtf yet, down 2 at least, maybe even 3.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
Spacing - The character's ability to use attacks to maintain the optimal distance from an enemy.

so how is jiggs better than falcon, he can just up tilt and it will out range anything she has.
your description of spacing is wrong on the op, that's the real problem

edit: jiggs spacing on ground: F
jiggs spacing in air with f air/b air: D

"She move so well in the air"
that comes under mobilty

matt4300

Smash Ace

better spacing:
side B
up tilt
foward tilt
Down tilt
down smash
foward smash
grab

DK = uber spacing, A+
ike = up a grade atleast, more like 2, whole moveset is good range, + uber jab at close
toon link = sword is short, how on earth does he having better spacing than big sword reg link? down 1 at least (his like ness, long range effective moves are lacking, but once his close his ok)
diddy kong = an A? Does he even have a long range move? biggest wtf yet, down 2 at least, maybe even 3.

I agree with almost all of this, But jiggz has great spaceing zodac. She move so well in the air she can easily keep people at bay wth reteating bair/fair. You must be thinking of her F worthy ground spaceing. She deserves a D atleast.

You are very right about the rest, Link for instance is only playable because of his ability to keep people away with AAA combos boomerangs and zairs.(wow I can't belive I missed that dk mistake. He has insane spaceing with his well most everything. All his tilts, AA all his smashes, Bair anyone. Hes a spaceing beast.)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The only reason Dk and Ike aren't the highest in spacing is because of projectiles. And Ike is slow, so his spacing is much harder. Take it from an Ike main.

I'd say since TL has a better mobility, it helps him projectile camp and weave in and out. In a sense, better mobility = better spacing ability.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Captain Falcon would like to speak to you.

So would D3.

And Fox as well.
I said ability, not spacing in general. Falcon and Fox do not have a moveset that can space. They are GET IN YOUR FACE type of characters being the opposite of spacing. DDD has a spacing moveset. Imagine if DDD has mobility, his spacing would be broken then.

CloneHat

Smash Champion

better spacing:
side B
up tilt
foward tilt
Down tilt
down smash
foward smash
grab

DK = uber spacing, A+
Spacing isn't solely attack range. Even in that case, Falcon only has one long-range attack, the up tilt, and it's laggy. If you think things like the knee are spacing attacks, well, ummm....cool.

KarateF22

Smash Journeyman
The thing is the ice climbers grab is hard to land and can be made a non issue if the opponent gets rid of the cpu. Since no other character in the game has such reliance on another character I would argue that the throw is puts them in the F catagory (assuming that is the only way they can gimp people).
I said punish KO... punish KOs are when the opponent does something laggy and leaves themselves open for an attack (or grab) it is simply the ability to utilize an opening to the fullest effect.

Almas

Smash Lord
Closing this thread, as per a request of the OP

jiang said:
<jiang_> close it without saying anything to make me seem like a tragic hero
While I have to say I thought this thread was useless in the first place, I would be interested in seeing some form of matchup list as part of a community thing. Provided it was easy to see and understand. And only filled in when values were generally accepted, instead of just taking a rough guess at matchups the player was inexperienced in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom