• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Custom Song Maker GUI v1.5! Bugfixes+Volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Did you hit the "Convert to BRSTM" button?

If that doesn't solve your problem, youre one of a few people who has a bug that I can't reproduce with the program.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
It's a pretty straightforward program but I guess you might as well have a readme just for the hell of it lol, it couldn't hurt... Some people are nubs and need a little guide even though the program is so easy. Maybe we're just biased since we understand the concept fully whereas other people wouldn't find it so simple..?

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Why is there a need for a readme? Doest the program walk you through the steps itself tho?

SephirothSmiley

Smash Rookie
Hi :).
i've got a problem when using your program.

When i try to convert a mp3 to brstm, it stops at "decoding left channel" then dissapears from the queue :s.

And when i go to tmp folder, the mp3 appears in there, as it was just paster in there.

here's what is written :

Processing Battle2.mp3

F:\...\BCSM-GUIv1.5>tools\revb --extract tools/C12.brstm tmp/C12L.dsp tmp/C12R.dsp

F:\...\BCSM-GUIv1.5>tools\dspadpcm -d tmp/C12L.dsp tmp/l.wav -ctmp/l.txt

DSPADPCM v2.3 - DSP-ADPCM encoder
Copyright 2001 Nintendo. All rights reserved.

F:\...\BCSM-GUIv1.5>tools\dspadpcm -d tmp/C12R.dsp tmp/r.wav -ctmp/r.txt

DSPADPCM v2.3 - DSP-ADPCM encoder
Copyright 2001 Nintendo. All rights reserved.
Also, i tryied taking a music ready to be converted in another topic, but it doesn't work :s.
When i say ready to be converted, it means that the music are available in mp3 and in brstm format by the owner.

I saw that some people had the same problem but, maybe i missed it, i didn't see the solution.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I don't know what the problem is, as there is no error message and I don't know how to replicate this phenomenon that keeps it from working for some people.

Ill add in more logging, but I really don't know why its not working :(

SephirothSmiley

Smash Rookie
Dantarion said:
I don't know what the problem is, as there is no error message and I don't know how to replicate this phenomenon that keeps it from working for some people.

Ill add in more logging, but I really don't know why its not working
Well, i'm at computer sciences study so i understand that ^^.
No worries, i tried also to do it on my second computer who has Vista on it, but it stops at the same time.

Well, i seems that i'll have to ask someone to convert it for me :(.

I'll also wait for the 2.0, because your program really looks awesome. ;)

Scrubaroo

Smash Cadet
Is anyone getting problems with songs starting to break up during a match?
SOME of my songs turn into static while we're playing....and I'm not sure why >.>

DrCrawford

Smash Rookie
Hi :).
i've got a problem when using your program.

When i try to convert a mp3 to brstm, it stops at "decoding left channel" then dissapears from the queue :s.

And when i go to tmp folder, the mp3 appears in there, as it was just paster in there.

here's what is written :

Also, i tryied taking a music ready to be converted in another topic, but it doesn't work :s.
When i say ready to be converted, it means that the music are available in mp3 and in brstm format by the owner.

I saw that some people had the same problem but, maybe i missed it, i didn't see the solution.
same thing happens to me :(

Gazoinks

Smash Cadet
Hey, just wanted to say thank you for making such an amazing and easy to use tool. :)

Nintendo Maniac 64

Smash Apprentice
For those having issues with MP3, convert it to WAV to temporarily get around the issue.

Anyway, I've come upon an unintended side-effect from the normalization. Due to the stupid loudness war and dynamic range compression, many modern songs are actually too LOUD for Brawl (luckily video games for the most part don't partake in the loudness war)

I currently have a song that's 96.7db average, and that's even after running the "clip fix" in Audacity on the whole song in an attempt to get a bit of dynamic range back. Brawl's loudest songs are usually only ~95db average, with the quietest ~92db average.

For the next version do you think you could give a general volume option or something in decibles? (with the max being fully normalized)

I'll just use v1.4 to temporarily get around this issue.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Is anyone getting problems with songs starting to break up during a match?
SOME of my songs turn into static while we're playing....and I'm not sure why >.>
Related to this (I apologize if this has been addressed before and I missed it):

(6:38:44 PM) thetantalus found something interesting with the music hacks
(6:38:56 PM) thetantalus i went back and edited some of the tracks I already put in
(6:39:05 PM) thetantalus then rebuilt them and replaced them
(6:39:28 PM) thetantalus it starts to play as normal
(6:40:10 PM) thetantalus i cut the songs a bit shorter
(6:40:16 PM) thetantalus and looped them
(6:40:22 PM) thetantalus so it starts to loop
(6:40:33 PM) thetantalus but at about the time when it gets to the loop point of the original song
(6:40:43 PM) thetantalus it goes and randomly grabs some bits from something else
(6:40:52 PM) thetantalus a song on that levels song set
(6:44:06 PM) thetantalus so somehow
(6:44:13 PM) thetantalus it remembers the original loop point of that song
(6:44:17 PM) thetantalus and forces a loop
(6:44:23 PM) thetantalus so basically once you change a song, you can't change it
I had the same problem with 2 songs that I modified. One, on FD, I cut slightly to make it loop better, and it grabbed a song from Lylat Cruise to fill in the gap at the end. The other one, on Corneria, I actually made longer (spliced another song onto the end of the existing one), and when the original one ended, it grabbed the same song from Lylat Cruise as the other one. Not only that, but each time they went into the incorrect song, the left and right channels were slightly out of sync, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 a second off.

I (and I think my friend also) used Bionic's tool for this, not the GUI. Would using the GUI fix this? It doesn't seem like that should make a difference though. The brstms were fine before I tried them in game. Is there some other underlying problem?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Anyway, I've come upon an unintended side-effect from the normalization. Due to the stupid loudness war and dynamic range compression, many modern songs are actually too LOUD for Brawl (luckily video games for the most part don't partake in the loudness war)
First of all, normalization without clipping was in the program from version 1.0.
I just decreased the volume after that to have it better match music in Brawl.
But people were whining about songs being too quiet, so I got rid of the ~1db drop in volume in 1.5

In 1.6+
There will just be a per-song gain level setting that can be applied after brstm generation. I will change the normalization back to max-1db in 1.6 probably too.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Related to this (I apologize if this has been addressed before and I missed it):
That has NOTHING to due with the way the files are generated.
Its either a bug in the file replacement code, or, a bug with your loop points. Remember, the starting loop point have to be divisible by...that number..that I forget

Eldiran

Smash Lord

I had the same problem with 2 songs that I modified. One, on FD, I cut slightly to make it loop better, and it grabbed a song from Lylat Cruise to fill in the gap at the end. The other one, on Corneria, I actually made longer (spliced another song onto the end of the existing one), and when the original one ended, it grabbed the same song from Lylat Cruise as the other one. Not only that, but each time they went into the incorrect song, the left and right channels were slightly out of sync, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 a second off.

I (and I think my friend also) used Bionic's tool for this, not the GUI. Would using the GUI fix this? It doesn't seem like that should make a difference though. The brstms were fine before I tried them in game. Is there some other underlying problem?
Actually, I think that's the same problem I was having. It's not hard to fix. Replacing a song causes problems -- what you need to do is delete the song first. This applies to the GUI as well, it seems.

At least, that's my hunch. All I know is I had the same issue with songs I replaced, and it was fixed by deleting them beforehand.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Remember 14336, this is a Brawl limitation not a BRSTM limitation.

Dantarion will you please have the program only edit songs that have titles when it writes to Songs.DB.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That has NOTHING to due with the way the files are generated.
Its either a bug in the file replacement code, or, a bug with your loop points. Remember, the starting loop point have to be divisible by...that number..that I forget
My bad, I wasn't accusing you or anything, sheesh.

Actually, I think that's the same problem I was having. It's not hard to fix. Replacing a song causes problems -- what you need to do is delete the song first. This applies to the GUI as well, it seems.

At least, that's my hunch. All I know is I had the same issue with songs I replaced, and it was fixed by deleting them beforehand.
Thanks for the help, I'll try that. But what exactly do you mean? Delete the song, load up Brawl+ with the default song, then go back and add it? Or just not overwrite the brstms on the SD card?

Sr. P & R

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there any way that you could make it so that you could edit the song titles AFTER you have added them to the SD?

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there any way that you could make it so that you could edit the song titles AFTER you have added them to the SD?
he already did that. go to the SD side of the program, and click on the name of the song to change it.

-.-"

Nintendo Maniac 64

Smash Apprentice
First of all, normalization without
In 1.6+
There will just be a per-song gain level setting that can be applied after brstm generation.
Um... I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the user can input a custom value if they want?

I will change the normalization back to max-1db in 1.6 probably too.
Oh gosh don't do that! That'll cause my game songs to be too quiet again.

Remember, max volume =! average volume. This is why songs with a ton of dynamic range compression still come out too loud with the -1db but songs with none come out too quiet. Can't you just make the default not touch the volume at all? That way what you put in is what you get out.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
To answer your first question, there is a gain value in the header of each brstm file that can be adjusted, I just haven't tested how well it works ingame yet.

To answer the second, I think I will probably have the program just normalize the audio to get rid of clipping, especially if the gain option allows a negative value. I'm also working on a auto-gain tool, as SoX can find the average volume in a audio file :p

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Thanks for the help, I'll try that. But what exactly do you mean? Delete the song, load up Brawl+ with the default song, then go back and add it? Or just not overwrite the brstms on the SD card?
Personally, it happened to me when I was using the GUI and overwrote the brstm through that. So I'm not sure if our problems are exactly the same -- but I hope the solution works. Basically, just manually delete any song you'd like to change, then put in the replacement. No need to start up the game during the process.

Kaosu Reido

Smash Rookie
To answer your first question, there is a gain value in the header of each brstm file that can be adjusted, I just haven't tested how well it works ingame yet.

To answer the second, I think I will probably have the program just normalize the audio to get rid of clipping, especially if the gain option allows a negative value. I'm also working on a auto-gain tool, as SoX can find the average volume in a audio file :p
Will it/would it be possible to program it to be able to work on the SD/Folder side too, so it'll average the volume of all your songs that're already converted to save you time?

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Well the majority of my songs are already normalized via Goldwave so that wouldn't necessarily work for me. I'd rather do the levels by myself anyway so please make the normalization feature optional. If it automatically does it at 1.6 the newer Brstm's won't be consistent with my older ones. I've worked pretty hard optimizing each song's volume level and it would be nice if all of the work didn't go to waste.:ohwell:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
for the next version can you include more files to be compatable?

Edit: Nevermind... I just messed up with my files

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
does louder mean that it will change the volume of the actual mp3 file while converting? i can edit the volume in audacity already, so a on/off button would be nice.

Hi, I love this program... but there has been one problem I found with it:

Whenever I replace "Mother 2 (Melee)" (W19) with a custom track, it always cuts off around a minute into the song and replaces it with "Kongo Jungle (Melee)" (W26), which I've also replaced. This happens no matter which track is replaced, and occurs in both Version 1.4 and Version 1.5.

My question is, is there any way to prevent this? Would you care for me to upload both .btsrm files, or is this something I have to simply live with?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom