• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl dash dance or illusion?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
** If this thread must be closed for any reason i dont mind, better to have gotten an answer by posting and getting locked then wondering what REALLY happened and if we can use this in actual matches **

I was messing around with brawl at 3:00 AM and found that marth was acting a bit funny, then i saw this. I immediately paused the game and saved the replay.

NOTE: I DID have homebrew on ONLY for tags on replay and infinite replay i am 100% sure there were no other modifications.

Could this be used in real play?
Only bot's luck?
Worth learning it?
What really is it?

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_CTUaNV1U

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Wow I've never seen that before in Brawl...

Do you know how it's performed?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The computer is walking, the stopping walking, then starting again, what looks like every other frame :p

The CPU's often get confused with movement on battlefield, especially when trying to avoid attacks.
The platforms really throw them off.

For example, sometimes on smashville, the cpu will just run and jump on the platform, reguardless of where it is.

Actually, this has happened to my own controls once when I was playing WiFi with some guy...

I was running with my Kirby, trying to avoid a FS...then, that happened to me. I tried to dash, but he did the same thing: Walk, stop, walk, stop. I just removed my Nunchuk, then put it back in, and, it was fixed.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I think it's more like a controler malfunction than a glitch.
I have a Wireless controler that tilts a little to the right and this happens. The reason computers do this is most likely a glitch where they just freeze. And it doesn't do anything helpful except make your friend go HOLY- QUIT LET'S REPLAY THIS!
Edit: Yeah what Dantarion said, those Battlefield platforms mess them up. I've seen computers crouching every 2 secconds there.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Idk if this is like that video, but sometimes when I grab near the ledge on certain stages, the computer will like vibrate back and forth... Can someone alse prove or disprove of this???

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Hmm sounds like believable guesses made by you guys.

Any way you guys think it can help the competitive scene? A new AT?

btw, i was using a gamecube controller, i dont see how that might help anything considering i was G&W but i guess ill add that bit of info just for the hell of it.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I would have to disagree with the opinion that it is flinching. i tested out flinching with marth and as much as i mash and how fast i mash diagonal C while holding A he still doesn't move as fast as the CPU does.. i dont think its a speed thing. I think that flinching has a slower start/stop animation then what the bot was doing. although flinching looks very similar.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Hm...I think you're right...Well...CPUs have always been able to do weird dash-dance stuff. I think you just caught one of those. I wish you all the luck in the world recreating it, but honestly, I think it's just something that we'll never be able to do...

person701

Smash Journeyman
I would have to disagree with the opinion that it is flinching. i tested out flinching with marth and as much as i mash and how fast i mash diagonal C while holding A he still doesn't move as fast as the CPU does.. i dont think its a speed thing. I think that flinching has a slower start/stop animation then what the bot was doing. although flinching looks very similar.
Gotta remember sometimes too, computers pull off wierd stuff... or do wierd stuff.

UberMario

Smash Master
It's pretty useless, but it's funny. Maybe you could use it to temporarily confuse your opponent. LOL

TEECO

Smash Ace
Dang, thats kinda wierd. Looks like the glitch that happens when you grab sometimes...

My best guess it that hungrybox was playing that marth for that split second and he did a dash dance.
His brawl dash dances are broken, best on the east coast.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Sheik's probably purty beastly...

whats happening is you are entering the walk animation for a frame or two and then returning to the walk animation. with some characters like wolf (and I'm guessing sheik as well) their walking animation is very different from their idle so that change is very sudden espeacially the return to idle. Other characters like the useless zelda it is barely noticeable. could be nice for baiting rolls and dodges without actually putting yourself in harms way.

I didn't even think about this I may start trying to encorperate it more since it is safer than dash dancing.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
yeah cpu's forever^^

but i don't think that a human player can do this... :(

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
yeah cpu's forever^^

but i don't think that a human player can do this... :(
I'm 100% sure humans can, I've done it like 5 times before, but it's only going to happen if your controler is tilting torward an direction.
Unless your shaking uncontrolably :dizzy:

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
I've never done it myself but my CPUs do it sometimes. I thought they were just doing an uber-quick dash dance

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Dang, thats kinda wierd. Looks like the glitch that happens when you grab sometimes...

My best guess it that hungrybox was playing that marth for that split second and he did a dash dance.
His brawl dash dances are broken, best on the east coast.
Hbox never came to GA to show me his moves (brawl) he has made it for melee to get beat by dark rain. hope he knows that fullmetal is hosting tipped off 5, i would like to show up for melee friendlys but i suck hard at it. meaning i dont know ANY matchups, some ATs here and there that are common like l cancle and wavedash but thats it.

Sheik's probably purty beastly...

whats happening is you are entering the walk animation for a frame or two and then returning to the walk animation. with some characters like wolf (and I'm guessing sheik as well) their walking animation is very different from their idle so that change is very sudden espeacially the return to idle. Other characters like the useless zelda it is barely noticeable. could be nice for baiting rolls and dodges without actually putting yourself in harms way.

I didn't even think about this I may start trying to encorperate it more since it is safer than dash dancing.
Exactly! thanks.. <3

all we need now is the now to. <3

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've seen that before. It's just the CPU lightly tapping right over and over very quickly. Easy to do, just not that fast.

Top Bottom