• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl doesn't need to be violent and competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bish

Smash Rookie
The other day, someone made a post asking if people wanted to play for fun or for competition. Most people said that it should be played for both. Maybe people don't understand brawl like I do though. Brawl doesn't have to be competitive to be fun, so why even have all the fighting? If you have a hard time understanding how to have fun without competition, please read the scenario below.

Bowser: Hey Ganny, check out these silly taunts I came up with! I could just do this for hours. Heeheehee! I just like to pretend like I'm some sort of tiger! Or, or like a hungry lion or something! It's so delightful to make believe.
Ganandorf: Oh! I ever so concur old friend, this taunting is really a gas. Sometimes I wonder if there was more for me, but then I just laugh, because what else could be more fun and interesting than showing off my taunts all day?
[crate falls from sky]
Bowser: Heavens to Murgatroid! A crate of whimsical fun has dropped from the sky!
Ganandorf: That must have been sent from jebus above so that we could learn the fun of sharing. You just wait right here Bowsie while I go and open the crate, then we can share all the magical goodness it has to offer!
Bowser: I do love a good sharing session.
[ganandorf goes to box and lifts it up]
Ganandorf: Now stand clear Bowsie. We wouldn't want you to end up in the path of this box when I throw it, now would we?
Bowser: Heavens no! I could get hurt Ganny!
[Ganondorf tosses box carefully between him and Bowser. Box breaks and reveals fun surprises (items) inside]
Bowser [squeals with delight]: Oh joy! These playthings are astonishingly marvelous Ganny!
[Bowswer picks up light saber]
Bowser: Hey look at me! I am Lucas Skywalkster! beeew! beeew! Hahahaha. What fun.
Ganandorf: Well it's all fun and games until someone gets decapitated my sweet Bowsie. Watch out with that thing or someone could become seriously injured. And we wouldn't want that now would we?
Bowser: I wouldn't dream of Ganny! You’re right I don’t even want to play with this any more now that I realize it could end up with one of us getting hurt. Oh dear Ganny! That looks like it could be a bomb or something. Bombs explode Ganny! Hold me.
Ganandorf: There’s no way this bomb is going to ruin our fun. It’s just so careless that it really steams my beans though. Don’t worry, Bowsie, I’ll take care of this.
[Ganandorf gingerly approaches bomb, and picks it up then throws it off the ledge. The bomb explodes far below]
Bowser: Someone really could have gotten hurt with that one. Jebus really needs to make sure no bombs make their way into our parcels of fun.
Ganandorf: Well now that that’s over with, let’s proceed with fun.
Bowser: Yeah! Let’s play “who can give the best compliment” because that way everyone wins!
Ganandorf: Yay!

Brawl-fun without the competition. Not so hard to see anymore is it?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i could quote pretty well various extensive RP's my cousin and i used to do when we were younger.... but.... heh.... they are quite degrading to me.

Hutsetsugen!

Smash Apprentice
Dunno what Cotton's on...

but, to Yuna and Bish, who's arguing? When you're playing Brawl, Melee, even Smash 64 for that matter, you're still competing. Still playing competitively. It's always fun.

And I've yet to meet a "competitive" smasher not find the way they play "fun".

Nuvia

Smash Ace
Oh joy, another competition vs. fun thread.

Play the bloody game how you want to and be quiet. Stop trying to force your preferred play style on people. I mean GAWD.

Phail3d

Smash Rookie
In before the "competitive/playing to win is fun" replies.

Anyway, while I understand that some (the most?) would like to, and probably will, play Brawl just casually for fun, Brawl definitely needs to have the competitive aspect as well.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Dunno what Cotton's on...

but, to Yuna and Bish, who's arguing? When you're playing Brawl, Melee, even Smash 64 for that matter, you're still competing. Still playing competitively. It's always fun.

And I've yet to meet a "competitive" smasher not find the way they play "fun".
hey i am and always have been 100% drug free ^_^

alcohol, i've had less than a wine glass total my hole life.

i'm just weird and extremely "imaginative"... and when i was a little kid i was crazy obsessed with the whole RP scene... i've come to my senses, by the way >_>...

unfortunately i'm not competitive in the tourney sense, but i can beat anyone at my school. we've gotten into a couple "tournaments" before band competitions and football games and i always win. i play smash mostly for fun and so eventually i can be competent. also, smash is surprisingly easy to converse during. my cousin and i can have long, drawn-out conversations over smash (though we tend to go stupid in the gaming sense :p)

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
....it's going to be competitive anyway. Just because of the lack of AT's, it's not as if skill, timing, and reactions are taken out of the equation. People are going to be better than other's, and will seek out others for competition. That's part of the nature of competition, eventually you will find some. And of course it doesn't need to be "violent and competitive" just enjoy the **** game, we're NOT stopping you and your friends.

Beno

Smash Rookie
Brawl doesn't have to be competitive, but it will be anyway, no matter what.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
did anyone even bother reading the actual post?
This isn't a casual vs competitive thread, y'know. This is just a simple joke topic.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
did anyone even bother reading the actual post?
This isn't a casual vs competitive thread, y'know. This is just a simple joke topic.
.....That's what I thought =.=' But then everyone started arguing and I though I must have missed something. Anyways....

lol, bowsie

S2

Smash Lord
Competition is what makes any fighting game fun though.

Brawl is a fighter. Sure there is a bunch of modes including single player - but at its heart its all about the multiplayer.

With any multiplayer game where there is only 1 winner, its going to be highly competitive. That leads to hardcore players who will get good, because they want to win.

Wanting to win drives fighters initially, but much of the staying power comes from a player's desire to be good. Melee had a ton of depth. The reason the tournament scene took off wasn't simply about players wanting to win, it was about being the best. Getting so good at an in-depth game that it became something else entirely.

Smash and any game will initially be fun for a lot of reasons. Most good games are initially fun. But its the depth of a fighter and the high competition in tournament communites that keep people playing that game 5+ years after its released.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
You could say that NOTHING needs to be competitive, but it just wouldn't work. Competition will arise in anything where there's a decent fan base, and honestly, I really don't see a problem with it.

The people who want to play it casually will play it casually, and the one's who want to play it competitively will play it competitively.

PS - Calling competitive play "violent" is a little extreme, don't you think?

Finch

Smash Lord
If this is satire then it is the best topic ever. But I have a terrible feeling that it's actually not. This makes me sad.

Ha... that made me think I was reading a script for Blues Clues or something...
We play the game for a reason. Sorry boy, but this game will always be about beating and comboing my opponent into my mercy. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
This thread is proof that SWF has absolutely no humor.

The first post was pretty funny..

Those following it.. Pure fail.

Bish

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm glad some people got that I wasn't being serious by actually reading the thread that they were posting on and I appreciate your comments. This thread rely was just to make the point that brawl by it's nature is competitive and it doesn't make sense that you could be having fun while not competing in it. Just because I was being sarcastic doesn't mean that I was trying to make a joke.

If I were trying to make a joke though I would sincerely hope that Pwnyride, master of humor and wit would appreciate it though. I already know this guy is funny because his name is Pwnyride for one thing. I hope everyone gets this: "pwny" is in fact not how you refer to a young horse. This jokester has taken a different, but similar sounding word and worked his comedic genius on it, making it funny. Then there was that post that really gave him away as a comic mastermind.

Silly me, i was under the impression that jokes where funny. My bad :ohwell:
He acts naive, but he knows that it is common knowledge that jokes are funny, yet he pretends as if he is unsure. I get that, pwnyride-Oh ho ho! (had to chuckle when saying that name). Pwnyride, may you continue to bring us laughs forever.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I like the Iwata says interview because it shows what kind of spectrum the game was designed for which is and always has been anyone. So yeah back to square one. Competitive, casual, as long as it makes you happy.

Bish

Smash Rookie
If this is satire then it is the best topic ever. But I have a terrible feeling that it's actually not. This makes me sad.
Don't worry, this is not serious. I hope people don't think that I have fun by avoiding the harm of other characters at all costs, but seeing as few people who replied actually read my thread I should be safe. :)

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Guys. This was obviously made to be humorous. It's not a Competitive vs. Casual thread. If anything it's satire. As a matter fact. Kudos to the TC.
You can't be 100% sure of that. Sarcasm detectors don't work on the internet.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
You can't be 100% sure of that. Sarcasm detectors don't work on the internet.
They don't always work, but in this case it was pretty clear considering that the topic creator wrote a script for a game no one, casual or competitive, wants to play, and does so in a very self-conscious and light-hearted way.

It's pretty clear that it was a joke, even aside from the OP's second post.

Finch

Smash Lord
Well, I'm glad some people got that I wasn't being serious by actually reading the thread that they were posting on and I appreciate your comments. This thread rely was just to make the point that brawl by it's nature is competitive and it doesn't make sense that you could be having fun while not competing in it. Just because I was being sarcastic doesn't mean that I was trying to make a joke.

If I were trying to make a joke though I would sincerely hope that Pwnyride, master of humor and wit would appreciate it though. I already know this guy is funny because his name is Pwnyride for one thing. I hope everyone gets this: "pwny" is in fact not how you refer to a young horse. This jokester has taken a different, but similar sounding word and worked his comedic genius on it, making it funny. Then there was that post that really gave him away as a comic mastermind.

He acts naive, but he knows that it is common knowledge that jokes are funny, yet he pretends as if he is unsure. I get that, pwnyride-Oh ho ho! (had to chuckle when saying that name). Pwnyride, may you continue to bring us laughs forever.
Indeed, I see now that the OP and this post are made of pure win. I thought there were no smart people on the internet, but Bish has proved me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom