• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl edgeguarding

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
I personally think that the search on this site isn't as good as I think it is or that I can't use it well. I thought that I could find a Brawl edgeguarding thread, but it was a waste of time.

Brawl Edgeguarding

What characters has the best edgeguarding and stageguarding(prevention of stage recovery entirely)
What characters is it best on and who are the worst ones.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
MK is definetly near the top if not top. Lucas is also amazingly good with PKT1.

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
Sure Kirby and Jiggs are alright. I guess what it comes down to is what you mean by edgeguarding.

Wolf, MK, Rob, Fox, even DDD are all great at keeping people from recovering.

ROB, pit, kirby, Jiggs, all do a great job are continually pushing people toward the boundary when theyre already off the edge, ROB is the bombiest there. Kirby is cool cause he can suck in midair and kirbycide.

ROBs biggest flaw when edgeguarding is getting too focused with fighting in the air off the edge for too long, His gas doesnt replenish when he ledgegrabs so a ROB player could run out of gas if they dont pay enough attention.

Snake has a uniquely amazing edgguarding tactic as he can grenade drop at the ledge, followed by a landmine, followed by a Fsmash or forwardB and it leaves those trying to recover with very few options wihile recovering.

Anyone with a stage spike move can effectively kill someone who spends too much time ledgegrabbing. (Lucas's PK thunder... AMAZING)

As far as characters avoiding ledgeguarding goes, anyone with multiple jumps can usually jump over anything, those with glides are effective, pit can upB and go under the stage to the other ledge if he's having a hard time recovering. Snake's upB can avoid most ledgeguarding when used effectively.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Meta for sure, I'd imagine Marth cause he's so floaty, and while not usable often, Ike's ledgehop bair edgeguard is <3

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Anyone with a powerful f-air and a spike could be good for edgeguarding. If you play anyone that doesn't just come back from anywhere, make sure to learn the extent of your character's recovery, and how the lag of their edgeguarding options will affect that. Even characters with **** recovery like Olimar or Diddy Kong can be good off the edge if you know what you're doing.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It's very hard to edgeguard from the stage anymore considering every character has a ridiculous grab range to the edge. It's near impossible to hit anyone coming up from the bottom without jumping off yourself. And this isn't helpful to many characters.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
Dedede has some fine options for edge guarding. Specifically, when the opponent is still on the stage, Dedede has a few options in deciding where he wants the opponent to go - for example:

Opponent whiffs, Dedede down tilts, sending the player horizontally and slightly downward. With this trajectory, you can fall off the stage followed by a F-tilt, or jump off backwards and repeatedly back air them.

Opponent dodges, Dedede grabs. Down throw sends them right off the edge, close, but downward. If the player is slow or wary of Dedede's chasing, the Dedede can quickly turn around, jump off and fall onto the falling player with a back air, then followed by their air game of choice.

In the case where the player is launched upwards and away from the stage, Dedede's options decrease, but are still there. Due to Dedede's multiple jumps, you can jump after them and hit them with a forward air. This is very effective when the player is off the screen - I have gotten several kills where I've used up all my jumps to meet them midair, and then intercepted with a forward air (which has deceptive range). Of course, this is mitigated by a well-timed air dodge.

Usually, the air dodge leaves them behind you, by which you can attempt to hit them with a back air.

Those are my edge guarding techniques I use commonly. Oh, and of course, you can stage spike somebody by jumping behind them as they are recovering and hitting them with back air.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
If you can effectively jump off of their heads, they will be stunned. The best edgeguarder I know is Link, Lucus, Ness, and Fox, but since most of the characters can return by jumping far over the stage like Pti, Snake, and, of course, Sonic, I thinke that there should be a new catagory called stage guarding. When coming back, the players likely goal is to get on the stage with little lag as much as they can, so they would sometimes avoid the edge, even though there is an easy way of catching it with the grabing range. The characters you have stated in my perspective of what I just stated would be called the best stage guarders. In melee and even the original, most characters could barely catch the edge which is why I stated stage guarding, but the name isn't necessary. Bowser may have the best edgeguard with the Up B or down smash since it have good range and choices.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Meta has the best edgeguard game without a doubt. He can use his down b to appear on the edge right before a recovering opponent reaches it, edgehogging them. He can also follow them off stage with his 5 jumps and use a nair/fair/dair/reverse shuttleloop to send them further.

He has almost no risk of not being able to make it back either, he has the best horizontal recovery in the game (and the best verticle if given enough space.)

Abdu

Smash Rookie
Im not just saying this because he's my favorite, but Ike is a decent edgegaurder. His neutral B has good range above, in front, and even a little blelow him. Not to mention u can just sit there charging it since it charges for so long.

Zetsuei

Smash Cadet
Marth is actually very good at this- just keeping switching between Dancing Blade and his smash attacks. Doing this over and over is a great mindgame to piss off your opponent until he finally messes up and you can throw in a nice meteor smash.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It's very hard to edgeguard from the stage anymore considering every character has a ridiculous grab range to the edge. It's near impossible to hit anyone coming up from the bottom without jumping off yourself. And this isn't helpful to many characters.
So, jump off and hit them. You should know the extent of your character's recovery, and the lag on his attacks, so use that knowledge to your advantage. That is how far off the stage you can go without dying.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yes, because characters like Bowser and Ike can really do that when people come up from the bottom.

try again

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Bowser and Ike can still do it from the sides. If you want to edgeguard from the bottom, try ROB or Jigglypuff...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
People underrate everything about Mario, because he's Mario.
I know. It's really depressing if you ask me. Where is the respect for Nintendo's best character ever?

It's not like he's bad in Brawl anyway. He's actually quite formidable. His main weakness is just a lack of range and not having particularly strong KO moves. Otherwise he's good at everything else. He's especially good at ledgeguarding. He can stop people from grabbing the ledge without resetting Up-Bs. That's pretty darn impressive.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Meta has the best edgeguard game without a doubt. He can use his down b to appear on the edge right before a recovering opponent reaches it, edgehogging them. He can also follow them off stage with his 5 jumps and use a nair/fair/dair/reverse shuttleloop to send them further.

He has almost no risk of not being able to make it back either, he has the best horizontal recovery in the game (and the best verticle if given enough space.)
Totally agree with you there. My favorite may not be MK, but I tip my hat off to MK:
He is without doubt top tier stuff (Maybe the best?)

Top Bottom