• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Impressions From A Competitive Player

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ok, so I know a lot of competitive smashers are starting to get their hands on the game, but that didn't stop me from writing up my impressions of the game so far after I got some time with it at Pound this weekend. I talk about the game overall including the absence of some techs from Melee, and some new things in the game. I also have an extensive about of information about Sonic and all his moves, as I played him the most.

THERE ARE SOME SPOILERS!!! I mention a couple of characters that haven't been revealed yet on the Dojo.

Source

"This weekend I attended Pound 3, one of the biggest Super Smash Bros. Melee tournaments yet. One of the attendees was lucky enough to have a Japanese Wii and a copy of Brawl, and had it there for everyone to play. I got 6 matches in, 5 with Sonic and one with PKMN Trainer, all in 4 player matches. Half of them had smash balls on. Read on for my impressions from the eyes of a competitive Melee player.

Brawl is some of the most fun I have had with a video game in a long time. Perhaps the biggest shock was of how slow it was compared to Melee. It wasn’t really slow in all aspects especially playing as Sonic with the fastest horizontal movement in Melee or Brawl, but everything vertically is way slower. It wasn’t terrible as a Samus main in Melee, but after watching pros like G-Reg have trouble pulling off combos that he’s used to in Melee and losing a match to players who wouldn’t stand a chance to him in Melee, you know this is a whole new game.

I was quite surprised after playing with Smash Balls to find out they aren’t as broken as one would think, but they will definitely be banned in tournaments. Some are completely overpowered such as Marth’s which is pretty much an instant kill even at 0%, and yet others like Ness/Lucas or Kirby’s don’t pose much of a threat. Once a player gets a Smash Ball, they should use it immediately as they can have it knocked out of them, which happens quite often. This also changes things as some Final Smashes such as Sonic or Fox/Falco/Wolf’s can be activated anywhere without precise aim at first, when some like Marth or Meta Knight’s need to be used right next to your opponent. Smash Balls can be set to appear at intervals between very low or very high like the other items, and with playing a 4 player 3 stock match on very low Smash Balls, about 2 or 3 would show up per match.

As for the levels, there are plenty that are deemed “tournament worthy.” These are the more basic stages that don’t offer outside hazards that may affect the gameplay. This is why stages such as Final Destination or Pokemon Stadium were tournament legal in Melee, while stages like Big Blue or Icicle Mountain were banned. I only played on a couple of stages in Brawl, including Final Destination, Battlefield, and Green Hill Zone. GHZ is a lot different than I was expecting as almost the entire stage is one big slope which really confuses you while playing. Some ground in the middile also drops out at times which can make things quite hard in the middle of an intense match. Final Destination looks a lot nicer this time around, however the ledges aren’t quite as nice as they were in Melee as there is a bit of a cut-out in the ledge which can trap you, which lead to someone accidentally killing themselves while against me in a 1v1 match at the end of a 4 player match when we survived.

As for Sonic, he runs very fast… very, very fast. You have to be careful how you use this speed however as it takes a while to slow down to a stop, but if you play it right with running grabs or going to a spinning dash attack and retreating, Sonic proves to be a great character in the game. I worked on using his aerial attacks in the game which including a good spin attack for his neutral air that hits a couple times for small damage each time, a decent up air where he kicks his feet upwards, a back kick for his back air which has nice knockback and works great at the end of a combo, a forward air that acts as a drill which is nice to rack up some damage, and a unique down air that completely changed his moment to propel him down into a kick similar to Captain Falcon’s down B in the air. It has incredible delay afterwards, but as long as you hit your opponent, it has strong knockback so you will be able to get back up with no problem. Just don’t miss.

Sonic’s smash attacks are very strong and one of the more impressive parts of his game. His forward smash is a wind-up punch which definitely has a little bit of startup time, but it does decent damage and very nice knock back. His up smash has him quickly spinning into a ball and bouncing upwards, which has nice priority and deals good damage. His downsmash has him roll into a ball (again?) and quick move left to right on the ground. It covers a large amount of area and has decent knock back.

And finally for Sonic’s moves are his special attacks. I wasn’t expecting his neutral B attack (Homing Attack) to be good at all with the extreme startup time, but I was wrong. Sure it’s not a good idea to use it near your opponent as you can easily be hit out of the near 2 second startup, but it homes in on your opponent very well for a strong attack. I found it useful to use at the end of combos when your opponent is stunned, or as a surprise attack in a 4 player match. I haven’t gotten to try it, but I imaging the move could have nice edge guarding possibilities. His up B is his signature spring recovery move, which launches him quite high for a nice recovery move. Unfortunately Sonic does not sweetspot the edge with this move unlike many characters in the game, making recovery a little hard. However, in return for no sweetspotting, Sonic is able to execute aerial attacks and air dodges after his up B is done when he is still in the air. Most characters are stunned after their up B and can no longer perform attacks after their up B. Sonic can not perform any special attacks after his up B however without hitting the floor first, or grabbing the ledge.

Sonic’s down and over B are very similar as they are both spin dash like attacks. Sonic’s down B is his Spin Charge, as you can charge it up for extra speed. His side special move, the Spin Dash is a bit slower, and he sort of jumps into the attack which can feel sort of weird at first, however you are able to jump from the attack into a ball which works nice for combos. Both moves can be used in the air as well which means they can be used as recovery moves, but not as effective as the spring jump.

Unlike Sonic however, I don’t have much to say about Pokemon Trainer. It was in a 4 player match so I was completely overwhelmed already from the action, making it very tough to keep track of 3 brand new movesets. Switching Pokemon takes a very long time, but you are invulnerable most of the time. I found this useful to help dodge some Final Smashes, but you have to be careful as there is still some time you can get hit out of it. Squirtle is very fast, but not all so strong, especially with his neutral B move doing no damage, and only pushing characters back, similar to Mario’s near useless down B FLUDD attack. Ivysaur is a good balance of speed and power. His smash attacks are very strong, and the razor leafs are a nice projectile. His recovery however isn’t as nice as Squirtle or Charizard. Charizard’s forward air attack is by far his best move, and has an impressively strong side B attack (Rock Smash), but I wasn’t able to do much else besides that. Even with the lack of moves though, Charizard is a great tank character. He is very heavy making him hard to kill, but also has 4 jumps and a nice up B (Fly).

As for the new Brawl techniques, I kept forgetting with how the new air dodge worked, but started to get used to it by the end. This definitely adds for more strategy in recovery to the stage dodging your opponents moves, and is very different from Melee. As for the shields, they are a lot worse than in Melee. Melee used analog shields where it knew how far you pressed the L or R button down, and gave you a different shield for how much it was held down, such as nice Light Shield (aka Z Shield) which could be done by just barely holding a shoulder button, or by pressing and holding Z. Since not all the controllers on the Wii offer analog shield buttons, analog shielding was completely taken out. In order to shield you must hold L or R down all the way until it clicks. I forgot to test if you can still do the Light Shield or not with just the Z button.

So all in all, Brawl is an incredibly fun game, and I can not wait until it launches in the US so the tournament scene can start up in full force. It was already announced that the MLG has signed Brawl up to be one of their main games, even after dropping Melee last year. Many people seem to be sticking by Melee with the love of the speed of the game and familiarity, but I’m confident that Brawl will catch on and become even more popular than Melee. That’s it for these impressions, but if anyone has any questions about the game, leave a comment here and I will update the thread with a reply."

Source

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Good impressions. Glad to see that Sonic is going to be a force that will need to be reckoned with.

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
Yeah very good impressions..read the whole thing. I feel Brawl will be way more popular than melee in so many ways.. and ive seen so many 1v1 matches so far from brawl that seemed just as fast as melee's and remember Brawl isnt a dam Melee 2.0 u guys have to keep that in mind!

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Hey I was at Pound 3 as well, too bad I don't know what most of you guys look like in real life lol. The first day they had to shut down Brawl because it was being too distracting and no one was playing their pools matches...pretty funny imo. I didn't want to play Brawl myself as their was a huge line and all but it was cool to see what all the fuss was about lol. I have to agree with Chibo, smash balls will never be allowed in tournament play they are just too powerful. I saw a Wolf player grab a smash ball, fire one blast to KO an opponent, and then lift off the top of the screen and in about 2 seconds KO the other 2 opponents that were unlucky enough to be on top of him. (He then proceeded to accidently SD off the side but that's besides the point lol).

Many FSes are either easy KOs, invincible attacks with virtually no way to avoid them, or both. It DOES however, look like quite an amazing game that will most DEFINITELY have a competitive following, probably more than Melee did imo.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
i was at pound 3 too and i played brawl. my impressions of brawl is that its a Fun Game for sure but the competitive players are prolly gonna disect this game and see it to be a good tourney game, but as of right now with basically combos being different (basically combos are really hard to pull off) it seems like this game will be great to Try and readjust. hehe but yea it was funny all the people in brawl trying to wavedash backwards and just air dodging backwards lol and so many attempted L cancels that the sheild would go up lol But this game will be fun hehe

the characters i used most was Fox hehe i even took on the owner of the copy on. In a MM singles it was really fun ! i heard it was recorded maybe it will be up there on youtube but i had fun playing it haha i did play alot and my impressions are that this game will be so fun to play you just wont be able to put it down and from a competitive stand i Say that brawl will have to wait a few months or so to really get into the Real tournament scene : P

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i was at pound 3 too and i played brawl. my impressions of brawl is that its a Fun Game for sure but the competitive players are prolly gonna disect this game and see it to be a good tourney game, but as of right now with basically combos being different (basically combos are really hard to pull off) it seems like this game will be great to Try and readjust. hehe but yea it was funny all the people in brawl trying to wavedash backwards and just air dodging backwards lol and so many attempted L cancels that the sheild would go up lol But this game will be fun hehe

the characters i used most was Fox hehe i even took on the owner of the copy on. In a MM singles it was really fun ! i heard it was recorded maybe it will be up there on youtube but i had fun playing it haha i did play alot and my impressions are that this game will be so fun to play you just wont be able to put it down and from a competitive stand i Say that brawl will have to wait a few months or so to really get into the Real tournament scene : P
I remember that MM! I was the in the next 4 player battle that played, so if you remember the Sonic that pwned that match lol, that was me. You did good in the MM (dunno how much Brawl you played prior), and some of the new Falco stuff Dav3 was doing was cool. I know someone recorded your MM, and the match I did afterwards I believe with his digital camera. I hope they make it online somehow, but I dunno how we would find em.

a-mar

Smash Cadet
just curious,

do you guys who played brawl feel that skill will remain just as important as it was in melee??

or will it seem more random?

S2

Smash Lord
Nice impressions.

Its good to see someone giving Brawl a chance... for all the complaining I hear, many players mention right off the bat that the game is fun. That's good to know.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
note about G-reg losing... it was a teams match, and his teammate died off SO fast, making it pretty much 1v2 almost the entire match. he did very good though, but in the end couldn't pull it off at his disadvantage.

as for skill continuing on from melee, i mean the overall skill of games, or the premise of smash will continue on, like you will see the general pros from melee like m2k chu azen pc and what not will probably all be very good at brawl, but since its just coming out now, it gives plenty of newer players who didnt play throughout melee to catch up and be good from the start, like cactuar, scar, or myself :)

there are adv techs in brawl so it can become competitive, but since theyr almost all different than from melee everyone has to re-learn them, and some people might just be naturally better with the new system. so all in all, will the same melee pros be the exact same brawl pros? i really dont think so. iv been sort of on the fence about this, but after I player it myself and watched pros play it, i think things are going to change a bit. someone like m2k might not be best in the world, but he could still be top 10 so to say.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Thanks for the thoughts man it\'s good to hear that the game from many angles and everybody seems to like it so far is fun and Sonic seems to be a good character so thats good as well i cant wait to play the game very much looking forward to the release it\'s going to be a long month though heh.

Top Bottom