• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
A cross up is when you approach from the air and get behind your opponent.
If he shields your approach it limits his OOS options.

Jane

Smash Hero
i thought a cross up was just doing something when your opponent expected something else?

for example with fox, if you always uptilt after landing a dair, a cross up would be to grab after landing a dair.

O_o

Yikarur

Smash Master
cross-up is actually a Beat'em-up term.
you jump over your opponent and then do an aerial, in Street Fighter that's not blocked as usually because you have to press another direction. Didn't know people use that term for Smash lol

Flayl

Smash Hero
i thought a cross up was just doing something when your opponent expected something else?

for example with fox, if you always uptilt after landing a dair, a cross up would be to grab after landing a dair.

O_o
That's called a mix up. It's a reasonable mistake to make.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
Well.. all logic sort of points to using Olimar for everything.

Although, I dont know much about either for matchups. Hopefully, any of the BAD ones for Oli might be easily fixed by Ness.

I don't know if Luigi is bad for Oli, but I know Ness goes 60:40 or something with him.

I might go and look at the matchup chart or something

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Footstooling people that in shield what are benefits of it aggressively and defensively ? Of course the benefits of it will get better as the character's sheild you are footstooling has bad OoS options.

For example since I main Fox. If I were footstool my opponents sheild I could shine to pressure their shield then drift behind them and Bair, or different case scenario, since Fox's horizontal aerial mobility isn't so great why not footstool their shield is prevent landing right in front of them for them to grab me and thus stopping the possible momentum my opponent was about to have and resetting the our positions to neutral or even better putting me behind their shield and giving me the opprotunity to punish their reaction.

I just want other people's opinion on this and how it might help all characters out.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
If you are falling and your opponent is waiting for you, I doubt they would stand still for you to jump on their heads.

Anyway, if you did pull it off it doesn't seem like it would do much. Sure they can't punish your landing, but now you're in the air again and they have another chance at punishing.

Nobody has really ever used it seriously in a tournament though, so anything could happen.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Remember that first they have to drop their shield, and also Fox has third fastest falling speed. You know you SH Footstool right?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Remember that first they have to drop their shield, and also Fox has third fastest falling speed. You know you SH Footstool right?
Or they could yanno

Aerial oos

or not shield.

It's a good mix-up, but I wouldn't rely on it too often.

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
How do i improve a character? Right now, my skill in general is improving, but character wise? Not improving at all :(

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Really, practice is the best way to improving a character.

The trick to becoming good at a fighting game is to first get most, if not ALL of the character's movements, combos(if they have them), and just overall tech skill out of the way. Once you have that down, and you're able to make your character do whatever you want whenever you want it, you can start exploring deeper into the mental parts of the game, where the real fun begins. At that point, it's going to be all up to your instincts, reads, and creativity.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Someone pm reply me instead of replying in this thread to me because I most likely will not check this thread in a while sense I'm more of a melee and smash64 guy.

So what exactly are the basic techs to brawl? Like Wavedash, L cancel and stuff for melee and shield upsmash and teleport for smash64 and stuff what would they be for brawl? Because I stopped playing after I beat the whole game from non-stop playing for about 3 days giving the game a real smash chance but I couldn't get into it sense I couldn't figure out how to cancel Arial moves and the biggest let down was finding out I couldn't wavedash. So I only played brawl about 3 times in my life back in march 08.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
a while ago i posted a thread about being able to hilldash on the flat land near onett's (i think that's the name of the stage, idr) left blast zone. here's the thread
well earlier today i found that the same thing can happen on PS1 when stage changes to the windmill. right under the left platform where the water spout is you can hilldash.

i was wondering if this is well known or well documented. i have the reply saved if my description was unclear.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it always seemed to me like footstools have the platforming game mechanic where they go higher the longer you hold the button down when you jump off them. Thats the conclusion I came to.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
wtf is "sliding shield"?

I don't think I've ever seen that, beyond say, shield SDI.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Is there a video of this?

How much distance does the slide cover?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Depends on the character

Peach slides quite a bit when she shields :)
Unfortunetly, Peach's broken wrist syndrome means shield grabbing is a bit meh :(
There's always Nair/Jab/Turnip OoS I guess...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upLXveFz_rY&feature=related

Its basically shielding whilst dashing. You carry over your dashing momentum whilst shielding which allows you to approach with your shield and/or force people to accidently misspace moves cause you're in their face

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
PLEASE direct me towards a projectile tier list. I believe turnips are better than needles :(

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
well needles go further and pressure better i'd say, turnips have that random factor to them though with the stitch face and w/e you can carry them as well/throw/regrab/ ect

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Wouldnt glidetossing be considered a pressure game of its own?

And screw stitch, beam sword's where it's at <3

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
Hey, new here. I more-or-less suck at Brawl. I wouldn't even say I'm adequate. I can beat most of my friends, but the entire extent of our Brawl Vocabulary is Forward-A, Smash, Tilt, Up-B, etc. I was honestly Trippin' Pokéballs when I learned how to Shield Grab.

I main with Olimar, but I want to get MUCH better with him. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to commit all of the terms you guys use to memory. (Currently struggling to remember the significance of Boosting....) So can anyone, either via PM or right here assist me with how to learn all those fancy combos, Advanced Techs, and pretty much everything to at least get me to be an average player?

Please and Thank you.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Peach's Jab1 Frame Advantages
-1 adv: Diddy, Sheik, Falco, Wolf, CF,
+0 adv: Bowser, Wario, Link, Ganondorf, MK, Fox, Pikachu, Squirtle, Ike, Sonic, ZSS
+1 adv: Mario, Yoshi, IC, Charizard, Lucas, Snake, DK
+2 adv: TL, DDD, Ivysaur, Ness, GW, ROB
+3 adv: Luigi, Peach, Zelda, Samus, Lucario, Marth
+4 adv: Kirby, Olimar
+7 adv: Jigglypuff

I'm assuming it's always a combo, but I'm not sure about jab 2. So, we have this cool frame advantage stuff on jab right? Notice how we have -1 against some characters? And 0+? And 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7+ on others? Can every character that we don't have +2 advantage on... SHIELD before our second jab comes out? Guys, that's bad. Jab 2 has almost 20 frames of cooldown on shield.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Hey, new here. I more-or-less suck at Brawl. I wouldn't even say I'm adequate. I can beat most of my friends, but the entire extent of our Brawl Vocabulary is Forward-A, Smash, Tilt, Up-B, etc. I was honestly Trippin' Pokéballs when I learned how to Shield Grab.

I main with Olimar, but I want to get MUCH better with him. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to commit all of the terms you guys use to memory. (Currently struggling to remember the significance of Boosting....) So can anyone, either via PM or right here assist me with how to learn all those fancy combos, Advanced Techs, and pretty much everything to at least get me to be an average player?

Please and Thank you.
Welcome =D.

Anyway, if you want to get better at Olimar, its probably better asking in the Olimar boards.
Olimar Boards

Should be everything you need. Otherwise, just play more.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Well I have no idea what I'm doing wrong because my guy doesn't get past the edge.

I think the secret behind that is the knockback momentun, you got hit beforehand. Brawl has no aerial ledge canceling itself.

Top Bottom