• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is like this.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Actually, most products are like this, but I have to be relevant here.

Brawl is like a set of pegs and holes. (So's Melee.) You do certain things with it, it works--ball goes through the circular hole, right?

Then, you do certain things with it, it doesn't work--cube doesn't fit through the circle-hole. BUT, certain special little kids will find a way to make that block go through that hole, and thus they've found an all new venue for entertainment! They figured out something all those other kids never even thought of!

This is not the kind of kid marketed to. (Well, in this case.)

In the same way, you've found your way to have fun with Melee and soon with Brawl, have invested lots of time, effort, money, and emotion into this series. Still, there are only a few of you, and a few more yet to be like you.

For general purposes--for the thing that makes us all the same, not different--if the circle hole were designed to be able to allow passage of the square and even the triangle, the set would be rendered useless and no more special to anyone. Thus, something like this can't be made to accommodate a specific audience--one of which few are actually aware.

However, what can be done, as always, is a good game, produced as it should be--not predictable, but over-the-top, even with bonuses thrown in, things absolutely not needed but included for our very pleasure and nothing more. A game meant for everyone--including you.

I think people in this modern world are too used to having their every desire be accommodated. That isn't realistic at all.

(Note that I didn't write this to incite anyone's anger, or to accuse them of being a certain way. Take this as you will, but not in anger.)

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
+1 for a relevant topic.
+1 for good intentions.
+1 for a neutral disposition.
+1 for a unique analogy.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, I couldn't read anything with Snake's bum in my peripheral.

Soon I couldn't look away.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure I get the message, are you saying that we are the pegs, each of us a certain shape, that can fit in certain holes, but not all of them, and we might not like every aspect of the game?
Something like that.
Actually, you (tournament-goers, for whom these boards were mainly designed if I understand correctly) are the kids who figure out ways to get the pegs through the unintended holes.

The way you've seen it works too. I like alternate interpretations!

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I get it.

Tournament players try to find advanced techniques or differnt ways to get the "square peg in the circle hole"

Either way it works. We're all differnt!

Play how you feel like playing imo.

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...What I, for one, get out of this is:
Kids- Us
Pegs and Holes- Brawl's Mechancs

Meaning that there are more casual players than hardcore tourneygoers, and Brawl was made for them (the people who play Brawl as it was made--and meant--to be played)...There are, however, a few Smashers that see Brawl as technically as possible--not as a game, but an equation...They tinker tirelessly, trying to do things that weren't meant to be done and finding out how to play Smash more frame-efficiently (which gave birth to L-cancelling and SHFFLing)...

Although, I consider myself a child that puts the pegs in the right holes, still plays intelligently and efficiently with them, but sometimes puts a square peg in the circle hole if he feels comfortable enough with it and can do it reliably...

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Although, I consider myself a child that puts the pegs in the right holes, still plays intelligently and efficiently with them, but sometimes puts a square peg in the circle hole if he feels comfortable enough with it and can do it reliably...
I consider myself like that in general.
It sure would be satisfying if I COULD get the square through the circular hole. Ultimately I don't put enough effort into it though, so I work with what I've got. Of course, there are specific instances at which I succeed in doing this sort of thing...

lol, now I'm just being confusing. Anyway, my idea is that Brawl was made for everyone (esp. every gamer). If they took out all the advanced things that were discovered via physics manipulation, it would still be playable by those people, if only they could deal with the "compromise".

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
lol, now I'm just being confusing. Anyway, my idea is that Brawl was made for everyone (esp. every gamer). If they took out all the advanced things that were discovered via physics manipulation, it would still be playable by those people, if only they could deal with the "compromise".
Quoted For Truth...

Obviously, some people are taking too much time mourning over the loss of L-cancelling and wavedashing to notice the new technical aspects (the new airdodge system, crawling, gliding, wall-clinging, tripping, and spammed attacks' decrease in knockback and damage), thus dubbing the game "less technical," "not as deep as Melee," and "unfit for tourney play"...

S623

Smash Apprentice
I love you, Senshuu. This is the most neutral statement I've ever seen on these boards.

I really like the message and the metaphor.

Chro

Smash Apprentice
So, wavedashing and such is a square peg in a round hole. Okay. I kinda started thinking like that... good to point out that Brawl was not made so people could do what they did in Melee, or to compete... Sakurai just made it what he wanted it to be.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'd also like to note that Brawl seems a lot more focused on each individual character's strategies, their own special moves, than any technique you could discover via physics and apply to everyone. There are those nice skills Sakurai mentioned recently on the Dojo, too. Those would be the basics, the sphere-through-the-circle methods that should be enough for anybody. I can't wait to see what develops from just these things.
Seems there's a lot more you can do with characters this time around. Even the veterans have been revamped. That's what gets me excited! It makes me want to actually focus on their special moves this time. (Admittedly I was kind of a smash-attack spammer for both SSB and SSBM. One way or another, that doesn't really work.)

Oh yeah, WaffleGuyPerson, I'm not like Peppermint Patty or Franziska von Karma, so please call me "ma'am". Hehehe.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
So like...I can get a peg (Justice Knee) to fit in different holes (face, torso, crotch) if I experiment? LOL!

No, but seriously, I get what you mean (sorta). It's a pretty deep and creative analogy.

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I'd also like to note that Brawl seems a lot more focused on each individual character's strategies, their own special moves, than any technique you could discover via physics and apply to everyone. There are those nice skills Sakurai mentioned recently on the Dojo, too. Those would be the basics, the sphere-through-the-circle methods that should be enough for anybody. I can't wait to see what develops from just these things.
Seems there's a lot more you can do with characters this time around. Even the veterans have been revamped. That's what gets me excited! It makes me want to actually focus on their special moves this time. (Admittedly I was kind of a smash-attack spammer for both SSB and SSBM. One way or another, that doesn't really work.)

Oh yeah, WaffleGuyPerson, I'm not like Peppermint Patty or Franziska von Karma, so please call me "ma'am". Hehehe.
Heh, sorry. But how? How could you not want to focus on the special moves, when the FALCON PUNCH was a special move!?

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Heh, sorry. But how? How could you not want to focus on the special moves, when the FALCON PUNCH was a special move!?
Hehe! I did use cool special moves like Falcon Punch. Apart from ^B, though, there were a bunch of characters whose specials I never used because I kept screwing them up, like Marth's. lol.

Brawl's inspiring me to break that awful habit!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I give you two thumbs up TC.

1 for the picture of Snake's ***

Another for posting a very good....post.

It's very true, we dont always get what we want, because what we want is not always what everyone wants.

So really, the TC is really saying that if anyone is still complaining about the way things went, you shouldnt be, because the game wasnt made specifically for you.

I applaud you TC.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
What if I can only fit things through holes they weren't meant to go through, and not the ones they were? D=
Then you are amazing!

lol... Guys, should I edit the sig out of my first post? I didn't realize it was going to be that distracting. Then again, I've just gotten used to looking at it. %D

Top Bottom