• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl & Mario Kart Wii

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
With the big disappointment in the online system of Brawl, and the new Mario Kart hitting the shelves today. I was wondering if anybody has picked up a copy of the new title, and tried out the online game play. I have heard that it comes with many features, and ranking systems. It's suppose to be a lot better, and makes brawl look like there was no work done in the online features. But my question is: Does Mario Kart Wii suffer the same problem with game lag/input delay as brawl does?

Vasage

Smash Rookie
my friend has it for his Wii (chipped wii heh) and he said it runs pretty much lagless. It blows brawls online features out of the water. Its extremely disappointing how much better Mario Kart Wii;s online features are than brawls...

Spoon

Smash Journeyman
Well, personally, I don't think the lag for smash bros is that bad. Sometimes there are those moments, but I've fought people in Utah, New Hampshire, and Michigan with no lag at all (and I'm in North Carolina)

Here's hopin still that it'll be better. I'm just afraid that when we get this game my bros will kick me off brawl, lol.

KonoK

Smash Cadet
I read of review of the game, and brawl's online is worse in comparison. You can race with anyone around the world with little to no lag. Plus, you can also see the miis of the people you are playing. Nothing like that for brawl...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Mario Kart is a newer game than Brawl, so it's bound to have a better online play.

Manny G.

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart Wii has the best WFC for any nintendo game so far. It has downloadable ghosts, skill points, and up to 12 players online. On the other hand brawl han no rankings, extreme lag, and up to 4 players online. you be the juge on the better online

Zixion

Smash Cadet
I've played it, there is no lag at all. First you choose vehicle and char, then you get to vote the stage. You can play with other 11 players with cero lag.
Now I don't understand why brawl couldn't make it.

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
somewhere far away think its called hyrule
no lag 3 weeks of play still not one lag, and most matches have full rosters (12 players) which is good, the online is great, theres nothing reall yin the way of ranking apart from time trials well, you geta gamkerscore beside yourname but it dosnt really mean anything as there isnt any leader-boards.still a really good online game especially for nintendo:)

Oosband

Smash Cadet
Brawl is a fighting game that needs split second precision, due to your ping with the server you will never get no input lag like you do on local games.
Mario Kart is a racing game and people's positions on the map don't need to be updated every split second, the game can pretty much predict where each racer is and update accordingly.

CyberSpark

Smash Rookie
...so how many FPS does mario kart wii run?
Mario Kart Wii does indeed run at a smooth and consistant 60FPS.

I bought the game yesterday and tried the online mode, it was great! no lag, nice setup, a lot of fun. :) My only complaint right now is...is...$10 for a Wii wheel?! it's just a piece of plastic! :rolleyes: :laugh:

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Mario Kart is slick online.12 player online with no lag worldwide. I wonder if future online titles will be this good.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
kart wii's online destroys brawls. and considering XBL owns kart wii's online setup, that's saying something.

its really sad that they messed up on brawl. what a waste.

jalued

Smash Lord
nah, mario kart wii does lag, but nintendo cleverly designed it so that only the cars lag, so occasionally a guy just appears infront of u, but thast all

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Mario kart wii still does lag online but, idk its hard to explain its more like a slow down then an input lag?

Anyways you can tell a whole lot more thought went into its online system than brawls, mario kart wii has an entire channel just for the game for example...

Ya it still lags but it doesnt affect the gameplay. As for how this connects to brawl I dont think you can ever really get a game that requires such timing to run 100% lag free, but sometimes I guess you can say" its good enough?"

I just wish they would have made a brawl channel like the mario kart one that would have been awesome...

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Mario Kart Wii does indeed run at a smooth and consistant 60FPS.

I bought the game yesterday and tried the online mode, it was great! no lag, nice setup, a lot of fun. :) My only complaint right now is...is...$10 for a Wii wheel?! it's just a piece of plastic! :rolleyes: :laugh:
That's how companies profit, man. Sell the console at a loss (well, not the Wii actually! They profit off it! :laugh:), and sell the cheapermanufactured stuff such a games, controllers, etc. at a huge price! :laugh:

GofG

Smash Champion
There would appear to be a fundamental misunderstanding of why Mario Kart has no lag while Brawl has lag. It is because of the nature of the two games.

In a two dimensional fighter, there is going to be button input lag, because of the way the stage and the fighters have to be accessed from the same file, all hosted server-side, every frame. For a racer, the course sits comfortably in the Wii's RAM, and all that needs to be downloaded from the server is a small file containing the position of every racer, per frame.

This is true of every 2-d fighter and/or racer that has ever existed. It's not that Mario Kart's wifi is "better", it's that Mario Kart is a "better" game for Wifi.

P00cRUMz

Smash Cadet
mario kart wii online experience is so much better than brawl. end of story.
sadly though because man, i'd like to brawl online with no lag.. =[

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I read of review of the game, and brawl's online is worse in comparison. You can race with anyone around the world with little to no lag. Plus, you can also see the miis of the people you are playing. Nothing like that for brawl...
My Mii would be God Tier ;)

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
There would appear to be a fundamental misunderstanding of why Mario Kart has no lag while Brawl has lag. It is because of the nature of the two games.

In a two dimensional fighter, there is going to be button input lag, because of the way the stage and the fighters have to be accessed from the same file, all hosted server-side, every frame. For a racer, the course sits comfortably in the Wii's RAM, and all that needs to be downloaded from the server is a small file containing the position of every racer, per frame.

This is true of every 2-d fighter and/or racer that has ever existed. It's not that Mario Kart's wifi is "better", it's that Mario Kart is a "better" game for Wifi.
QFT

Read that post.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
nah, mario kart wii does lag, but nintendo cleverly designed it so that only the cars lag, so occasionally a guy just appears infront of u, but thast all
doesnt that mean that its possible to be 2 seconds from the finsh line and then all of a sudden end up in 12th place? that sounds like a very bad lag :laugh:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I play MKwii online everytime I have friends at my place so pretty often
so far I've played roughly 50-100 races online and..
No lag, nothing, and there's always ppl online to play against
Simply put MKwii online is flawless (IMO)

Messiano

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think that somehow through Wii Ware a patch can be used to at least add a better friend list/ Brawl find.

L 17

Smash Apprentice
It's times like these where I wished we did have to wait longer for brawl to come out, so mario kart could have the horrible wifi and brawl could have the excellent revised online system that mario kart has.

iron blade

Smash Ace
I was racing people across oceans and the lag was virtually nonexistent. I play someone in the same state in Brawl and there's loads of visible lag. WASSAP WIT TAHT?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well it's not a fair comparison. A game like mariokart has a different lag resolve than Brawl. Mario kart isn't as collison detective as brawl is and the exact location of the opponent isn't necessary. So if a mariokart game is going on and the connection weakens rather than slowing the gameplay to find your current location the game kinda estimates the location and follows through. It's kinda like with Mario kart DS.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I have mario kart wii but I dont own brawl (because it sucks :)) and the online for Mario Kart Wii seems good. It NEVER lags as in slow downs but there is sometimes a delay in when you throw items and the time it takes to hit them and occasional you will see your enemy teleport into some other position but overall its great

PKNessEB

Smash Journeyman
Like what everyone else said,Mario Kart Wii's Wi-Fi is MUCH better then Brawls.
Rarely ANY lags & you get to see each players around the world as there Miis.
10 bucks for a Wii Wheel is really not that bad(well,to me anyways) considering how much GameStop/EBGames has it.14.99 for Nintendo's Wheel,but $9.99 for there own wheel that's worse then Nintendo's.:urg:

Aggression

Smash Apprentice
kart wii's online destroys brawls. and considering XBL owns kart wii's online setup, that's saying something.

its really sad that they messed up on brawl. what a waste.
they didnt mess up, it was legal reasons, sakurai wanted something near identical to xboxlive to happen to brawl, but they had to deny him because like 100 trademarked things were in brawl and they couldnt get the rights or... something else legalish

Top Bottom