• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Matchup Chart

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
its more than just preference though
all across the boards, matchup colors (even though they differ slightly in every section) are red for disadvantage, yellow for even and green for advantage. those are the basics and make charts a lot more readable than if everyone uses their own system.

and this system is not only known, but it also represents the spectrum of light, going from ultraviolet (huge advantage in terms of match ups, 90:10) to different blues, greens, yellows, reds and finally infrared (huge disadvantage).

so dont u mess with physic:psycho:

btw, note that ultraviolet and infrared are invisible to the human eye, that's why there cant be any huge disadvantages in b+ :chuckle:

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
This is following the same spectrum it just skips yellow currently.

I don't want to use green because it contrasts from light blue so much that it just doesn't look right being an advantage when other blues/purple are also advantages.

I might even remove it completely and make neutral yellow.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
well, do what u want.
but it will be better if u use an field-tested, accepted and logic system that caters to the human perceptions than one that u simply like.

u wouldnt make a traffic light red yellow and blue, just because u dont like green, would you?

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Errr......Blue is on the opposite side of the spectrum from red, so I would actually be following a fine system.

I'd rather it go Blue -> Purple up and Orange -> Red down than Green -> Blue -> Purple up and Orange -> Red down. I don't need three full colors to do 5 different types of matchups, especially when 2 of those are very rare.

The only difference is that I'm skipping either Green or Yellow since they are both in the middle.I'll also eventually use green for 55:45, yellow-green for 50:50, and yellow for 45:55 I just didn't want to do it yet since for now one color is good enough for all three of those.

EDIT: additionally you must remember that Red and Green have stretches in the spectrum where they stay almost the same. If you remove these my color scheme accurately depicts the wavelength spectrum.

I'm pro at MS Paint, here

That has the long streaks of the same shade of red and green taken out, and I wrote what each color would be.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I'll try to do a zard matchup or two.

Squirtle 60:40 Zard
Lucas 60:40
Sheik 60:40
Falco 65:35
Ganondorf 40:60
Bowser 50:50
Snake 60:40
Ivysaur 55:45

And Squirtle
Lucas 55:45 Squirtle
Ivy 60:40
Ganondorf 50:50
ZSS 45:55
DK 60:40
DDD 60:40
Jiggs 50:50
Weegee 50:50
Link 40:60
Samus 45:55
Pit 60:40 <--- EDIT
Lolimar 40:60

Feel free to dispute these. Also, Mattnumbers I like the color scheme.

on Pit v Squirtle
Blind: "Pit outranges Squirtle, and can gimp/kill him fairly easily, but the little bugger is still maneuverable as hell. Arrows can only do so much to stop dashdancing shellshifting mixups. I've often found however that Squirtle's main kill moves (dthrow and fair) fall just short of killing Pit who can easily recover."

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Yeah I was about to post something about that too. I'm not sure if I'm waiting for someone to change the PDF I made or if I'm supposed to do it.......I don't really like the program that I was using for it previously so I was going to try to use GIMP instead but I'm not sure how I could do that.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
why dont u use excel? u can color the background there and it's super easy to edit...

Cero

Smash Lord
Well, the reason I used that program is because I don't have Excel.

So, I hope this'll work.

Open up the chart's .ods file.

Go to "file" -> "save as".

Click the drop down arrow for the "save as type" field and try converting the .ods file into one of the Microsoft Excel files.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Well, the reason I used that program is because I don't have Excel.

So, I hope this'll work.

Open up the chart's .ods file.

Go to "file" -> "save as".

Click the drop down arrow for the "save as type" field and try converting the .ods file into one of the Microsoft Excel files.
Ok, this worked perfectly (except the images got a bit blurred and the text is smaller).

But I'm still having the same problem. When I edit the top boxes they change to things like "2/9/1900 12:00:00 AM" Right now I'm just going to add periods where they are under the character icons to solve this, but if someone knows what the problem is it would be nice to know.

Ok, its going great, but I'm curious: is there a way to set it so that any cell with "X" (as in the variable not literally X) automatically switches to a certain color?

Cero

Smash Lord
It's because the program thinks you're trying to write down a time or date and it auto-completes the "XX/XX/XXXX" or "XX:XX:XX" format for you.

I think you can fix it by messing around with the cell options located somewhere on the top-left. Just try to do some exploring.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
thats not a problem, its a feature;)
u can avoid it by selecting everything>right click>format cells>time and now change it to hh:mm and u should be good

Cero

Smash Lord
Ooh. We definitely need a bigger picture.

Either, put up a bigger picture and stretch out the OP or provide a link to a bigger picture or file download.

Otherwise, the chart looks great. :)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Sonic vs. Pikachu: 45:55?!?!?!

Can I see a video or something because I know from experience that this is a harddddd matchup for Sonic. It's like, DK vs. Ness hard.

Cero

Smash Lord
Yay! A bigger and readable chart is up! :)

Good job Matt.

Though, you should double check the chart. Some cells' formatting are inconsistent.

Blinds

Smash Cadet
Metaknight vs Ivysaur 90:10 or higher

In Brawl+ Metaknight can easily gimp Ivysaur with just one grab or dashattack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUl12pMXfY

I know thats just one vid, but it shows what i mean.
In that video, the Ivysaur did nothing to free up the ledge. No leaves, no aerials, didn't even try to hit MK on the ledge with the upB.

Also that video is from version 4.1 which is outdated by several months. MK has gotten some considerable nerfs since then.

So yes, Mox's Ivysaur in version 4.1 may very well have a 90:10 matchup or higher against MK. But that really doesn't say anything about a 5.0 RC1 Ivysaur using all of his tools against a 5.0 RC1 Metaknight.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Yeah I noticed that I missed a Cell or two, but I had a smashfest going on pretty much as soon as I finished getting the larger version up.

I'm really tired from said Smashfest right now so I'll do it later ha.

jalued

Smash Lord
BIG BUMP!!

come on people, matchups are important!!!

btw there is a colour error bottom left, wolf v falcon, yoshi v falcon and zelda v falcon. should be dark blue casue its good for them, not red. That is all :)

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll update it with that, a couple more fixes, and the more recent matchups that haven't made it up there yet once I have some time.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Ness vs. Pikachu
40:60

Ness vs. Marth
45:55
(Too many Marths don't know how to play defensive; offensive Marth gets ***** up teh butt. Defensive Marth puts up a good fight.)

Ness vs. Olimar
50:50.

matt4300

Smash Ace
Ummm... what? Someone missunderstood the bowser matchups... theres no ****ing way those are correct... (the chart not the text below...)

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Sonic vs DDD is 55:45 in my opinion

Observing from my previous best of 5 matches, Sonic had lots of air penetration DDD despite the priority going into place, there's a slight weak point in DDD's distancing on Sonic because usually it would take DDD a while to use his Side-B and D-Smash to execute as while Sonic can run up to him and use a Side-Dodge or more preferably his Side-B cancel. Also I was able to abuse the hitstun and chain 4 Fairs on DDD continuously. DDD has more of a stage advantage in Smashville as the blastbox is pretty near while Sonic has a slightly better game against him on FD, also to note that most DDD juggles can be escaped with Up-B more often.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
I honestly don't see sonic winning the Dedede Matchup. D3's aerials are too much for sonic to really break through. If Dedede plays the slightest bit Defensive sonic does not stand a chance. D3 can really halt sonic's speed with his air game or his ground game.

If I had to say, the match up rating would be 65-35 in favor of King Dedede.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I honestly don't see sonic winning the Dedede Matchup. D3's aerials are too much for sonic to really break through. If Dedede plays the slightest bit Defensive sonic does not stand a chance. D3 can really halt sonic's speed with his air game or his ground game.

If I had to say, the match up rating would be 65-35 in favor of King Dedede.
If that was it, it must be my player skill defining the matchup :laugh:
I gotta say, theres got to be better D3 players I guess

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Ok I have time to update now guys, sorry about the wait. I'll get all the new matchups up on it in a sec.

Anyhow, this thread could use more discussion. Take a matchup that you don't agree with and argue your point.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Well, I for one don't see the Squirtle-Ness matchup as 70:40. At worst, it's 65:35. Most likely 60:40, though.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Well, give me some reasons why it's 70:30?
I don't see ness's speed as too much of an issue... He isn't THAT bad at dealing with pressure.
With DJC stuff he should be able to catch squirtle off guard a bit. He's ok at killing...
What am I missing?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Actually he is. If you poke around at him enough you can read whatever he's trying to pull. DJC is only a buff if you can get caught by it.

Top Bottom