• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Metagame Discussion

7ACE7

Smash Apprentice
Which characters have metagames that you think are still improving and which characters have metagames that are slowing down? Which characters do you think have reached their full potential and which characters will get better? How will this affect specific characters' placements on the tier list? Don't just list characters. Give an explanation.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
What's up with you and Metagame discussions...?
I recall none of these worked out, and they really aren't worth discussing. It might've already been done.
Try again.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Eh... I'm a little iffy on this. I think I'll sit this discussion out, seeing as how it's been done before.
These really don't contribute much. But whatever makes you happy.

7ACE7

Smash Apprentice
One of the first characters that comes to mind is toon link. He has so much variety in his game, that he is bound to move up in the tier list eventually. His metagame still has a lot of room for improvement.

JOE!

Smash Hero
meh, ill bite:

Most of the top tier (B and up) are essentially all worked out as far as Im concerned, with maybe a little room for a tech here or there

the same goes for G tier, except for Link probably.

For the rest: either their game doesnt have much else to it, they're underplayed or just have so many options

Kneeslash

Smash Cadet
I will always have faith in Captain Falcon.

But maybe shiek could be boosted to, but only time will tell.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Some characters have much room to improve, such as Pokemon Trainer. Metaknight, Snake, and G&W and a few others are pretty much done, but everyone else is still changing a bit.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Diddy is looking much better this year. Toon Link is improving. Wario is stepping it up. Falco, DDD and G&W are looking slightly worse. Wolf is developing also; his matchups aren't as bad as they were considered last year. Marth is solid as always. Sonic is also clearly better than low tier. This is based on Atlantic North.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Marth's metagame improves gradually, and just keeps getting better. We actually have our own Char-Specific AT! Lol all jokes aside, I don't see D3's metagame jumping around to much, not that it needs to since his core game now is excellent.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yoshi has a plethora of new stuff available with his pivot thing...and theres allways new stuff to use with his DR, etc...

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I beleive that Sonic, Ganondorf, C. Falcon, Yoshi, Sheik and Jiggs metagame should get better.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's metagame is still improving. Bthrow -> Dash Attack is a true combo from 0% on Ganondorf and Bowser(IIRC), on the rest of the heavy weights from 10%, and on most of the remaining cast from 25ish%. Works up to over 100%, in which case the opponent can AD out of the combo. You can also switch out Dash Attack with QD at those same %s, which makes it a weaker, but still usable follow up that is handily also a trap. (Roll, you get hit, get up, you get hit, attack to get up, you get hit)

Figured out the last couple of days.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
IMO, I think everyone's metagame has the potential to improve. But I believe the less researched characters (mid to low tier) are still too shrouded in mystery and have more of a chance of improving.

Geist

Smash Master
^Everyone's metagame can improve, because that's practically inevitable. The game hasn't been out for that long at all. Don't be surprised if a mid-low tier finds their way to high tier, or vice-versa.
Of course, on the flipside some characters have much less potential than others.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Pup, watch Lee/M's vids nao :p

latest post in lucario video thread
Lee is a very good player, but I see nothing in those videos that I haven't already seen since a few months after Brawl was released. I still think Luc's metagame is 100% stale.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
the metagame overall is going to have more and more abuse of perfect shielding. the game is slow enough to where you can shield/ spot dodge on reaction then downsmash etc. Like
seeing Snake's ftilt/jabs being perfect shielded will be a common sight so grabs will be mixed in from the snake. people are gonna be walking around more just so they can shield at any moment. So basically the game is going to slow down because people who play this game are so smart and patient like CPUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Sheiks tools for victory are all there but no one has learn to used them all property

Sheik ftilt into usmash

With proper counting sheik has a guaranteed true combo on everyone into killing % usmash. For example if sheik hits another sheik with with a ftilt of the listed decay levels below she will have enough of a frame advantage to use a tipper usmash. These are killing %

1. 77-80

2. 77-87

3. 77-94

This is not just limit to just the first 3 decays as I've seen it going up to 5 decay levels which allowed higher then 100% damage guaranteed combos. Then we got the next broken tool and most likely will effect sheik tier placement more then anything else...The chain.

The jump into chain and even normal can instantly change a match around within mere seconds and it compellingly changes how sheik is capable of fighting. The normal chain if used property can caused a locking like effect for dozens upon dozens of hits within mere seconds. Doing such large amounts of inescapable damage such as 90% within 3 seconds. This as you would imagine is difficult to land since the chain does have some start up but think about this, the chain can't be side step because of it's nearly constant hit box, can't be shielded because it pokes shield extremely well, you can't roll because of the hit box being out, can't jump either so all you have is to attack and if the sheik is moving it fast enough the disjointed hit boxes of the ping proof chain will beat it out...unless your marth.

The biggest sheik changing tool though is the jump into chain, excluding jack chain. The jump into chain gives the chain new properties such as a less active hit box, more hit stun for each hit, and increased damage. Because of the now existent hit stun sheik is capable of effectually keeping someone away with the chain. The most noteworthy of those that she is capable of keeping away are Meta knight and Game and watch both of which are listed to be fairly bad match up's with sheik. With the chain in play and with meta knight having a decent amount of damage on him (like around 50%) sheik is capable of swatting away every approached method meta knight has and can thus force a stalemate if both players have the same % of damage. This can also be done for game and watch but without the need to waiting till such a high % because his attacks take longer then meta knights to come out.

Another noteworthy feature of sheik I'm going to list about the chain is on the edge chain lock. With the chain disjointed hit box and rapid fire attacking she is capable of halting below stage recoveries entirety as she lock her opponent into a free fall of hits. The chain can hit them so fast so much that they will be unable to sweet spot the edge even though they will be mere cms away from it.

Those are a few of the larger things I can see sheik using to raise within the tier list that aren't done normally. Such things as the normal ftilt lock and dacus punishment is very effective but it wont get her out of mid tier ;)

SHEIK FOR HIGH TIER!

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Ness's metagame is at a standstill... most people assume that all of his attacks are only there to damage enough for a backthrow.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
ROB is slowing down a lot. He still has a ton of strengths but WAY too many weaknesses to stay up high (kinda like Melee's Samus yet again.) Also the more and more matchups we do, the closer all the matchups go from ROB's favor to about even.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I think the community is going to keep getting more and more pessimistic til we just stop playing Brawl. =/
It's just the boards, really. The community outside of the boards isn't nearly as pessimistic. I don't know what it is about the boards, but everyone just wants to whine and complain about the game, then just go back out and play it.
I've learned to ignore it. All of the "problems" don't even seem like problems once you get off the boards.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
People need to remember IT'S JUST A GAME! Relax and enjoy yourself while you strive to be the very best you can be. The more obsessive you get, the worse small things seem to get.

Cioran

Smash Cadet
Most overused terms/phrases on smash boards:

1. Metagame
2. No Johns
3. Strawman

I'm sure there are others, but I find these particularly rankling. :|

Top Bottom