• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
Okay I just want to confirm one thing, will we be able to have a different model hack for each costume?? so like I could have a sephiroth marth, a Lyndis Marth and darth vader marth??

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
I have a questoin about texturing the new models, we will be able to rewrap the textures right, we won't just have to fish around in the current ones, trying to match them up and messing with weird streching will we??? also will we be able to un-mirror some of the texturing??/ cuz it's really annoying when you're trying to make a character but the mirroed textures screw it up
Yes we will be able to change unwraps.

On a side note: My Mewtwo model is about to undergo the unwrap process.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who is excited about this project and wants to work on it but has no experience can easily get started now. Study up and practice. Blender is a free modeling program and GIMP is basically a free Photoshop. So there's nothing stopping you from making models already. It seems to me that Pharrox will finish his end way before people new to modeling will be able to finish a decent 3D model with bones, animations, and textures.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
yeah I'm not a total cave man I have both Gimp and Blender, and 3ds max, and I'ce been doing texture hacks for a while now. but wat I want to know is if there will be a whole hexing and programming **** section like there was for textures before ASH came out, I'm not too worried about the artistic part.

@pharrox, is there any way you would be interested in making a simplifified way to do this like ASH, if not is anybody else interested? like Vile or El Refugio, ur the same guy who wrote ASH right?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I have no problem's making a new character but I don't think changing the movesets of the current characters would be good. since it would change the gameplay too much, for instance, the gameplay wouldn't be fun if you make characters who's grab range takes up the whole stage or can falcon punch in 1 frame. I can see why you would use it to balance brawl plus but I think that should be seperate from just changing the models.
This has been my goal recently, to make a new character. I only recently started looking into it, but I've been thinking that I could make a Crono skin for Marth, then give him a combination of other characters moves, like pika's downsmash(luminaire) and Tink's upB(Cyclone) etc.. Is this possible with existing code?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Okay I just want to confirm one thing, will we be able to have a different model hack for each costume?? so like I could have a sephiroth marth, a Lyndis Marth and darth vader marth??
Yes, because every costume contains a model file (even if it's identical to another costume's). The only thing though, is that they would all have to have the same moveset, unless we can find a way to turn other characters into other characters. (just use models and animations might work) also with making chrono, there's a good ike crono costume if u want to get started with that, but i don't know how to edit the moves D: ...yet. I REALLY DO LIKE WAFFLES! XD
A little irrelevant, but all work and no play makes... people a dull... people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPr5sVEHihQ

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
@Pharrox how close are you to finishing the .dae>brres compressor??? Is everything going well?

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
LOL double post, Man I hav so many **** question, will we be able to edit effects models?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I don't have much time, but here's a quick update. I've finished writing the new decoder, but now I'm running into a ton of linker problems when I try to compile. Keep in mind that I am still a very new programmer and fixing linker errors has always been my biggest challenge since I started. Weekends are very busy for me so I haven't really had a chance to try to fix it yet. Expect the update tuesday night at the latest.

Also for the final release (or at least when reverse conversion is added) there will be a GUI to make things easier. Due to the number of option it would be a pain to do with the command prompt.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
srry for noobness but wats a GUI:confused: and do u know if effects models will work too?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
GUI is the pinnacle of awesomeness (the model converter pharrox released wasn't gui, but programs like... wiiscrubber are GUI (Guided User Interface (or something like that))) it's basically a windowed program with buttons and what not. wow, iv'e been watching over this forum like a hawk, waiting for the dae to brres converter. as for effect models, i would imagine that they would work if they are the same format... why would nintendo make a completely different format just for small things like that? Even if it isn't the same format, i'm sure it has to be pretty close

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
Alright heres another load of questions:
When you say you've finished the decoder, you mean the collada>brres converter?
Wat's a linker/linker error
ur new at this?!?!?!
If you replace a model, like lucario with mewtwo like everybody is saying, how are you gonna texture it??

Smash Ace
ur new at this?!?!?!
If you replace a model, like lucario with mewtwo like everybody is saying, how are you gonna texture it??
Well, texturing will be very easy, just replace the texture data with new textures. Since you will be keeping same names and whatnot it would work like normal.

PS: My Mewtwo model is getting closer to completion, i should have texturing done by a few hours (I had to redo the head coz of u Gary, grrrrrr)

Sterowent

Smash Ace
Ugh, this thread is far longer in my head.

Long threads are impressive and groundbreaking. Or purely divine.

I'm not misinterpreting all this, eh? This all sounds very useful and huge.
This sounds like a huge step up in Texture hacks, and in the future Possibly...a grocery list of pure awesome.

Edit: On another note, how is everyone so calm and factual? i'm studying to become a computer programmer myself, and all this coolheaded discussion on such interesting material feels so much colder than how you'd expect it to be.
Not to say i'm a hothead nor easily upstarted, but such dedication to a focus almost implies that this is something to take note of...

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
do you know if there will be a way to make parts dissapear ofbe transparent or hidden or something?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
may be slightly off topic, but is there a way to change the way a texture file acts in the pac file (like make mario have a transparent texture, cuz none of his support transparency) also, i plan for Ralph (Zelda Oracle of Ages), Roy, maybe Kumatora (Mother 3) and Possibly Baby Bowser if someone teaches me how to edit the speed of characters (running etc.)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
A very quick question.

Will the final program have a texture exporter (seeing as I expect it to also have an importer)? Because if that's the case, I'm pretty much done here with it all.

Seriously, as much as I like Heinermann, he left us with a still broken SSBExtract. The TPL files it outputs don't often reflect how the files are actually constructed in the TEX0 blocks. And he promised to include the LZ77 decoding progress.

Oh, and CLR0 blocks should be supported as well. Basically the last few bytes are the actual colors.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
@ vile are, you editing lucario to look like mewtwo?? or did you take mewtwo's trophy model and smack it on top of lucario, and switch them.???

Smash Ace
@ vile are, you editing lucario to look like mewtwo?? or did you take mewtwo's trophy model and smack it on top of lucario, and switch them.???
I got Mewtwo's trophy model, t posed it, re unwrapped it, texturing it and skinning it (rigging).
That's what I'm done/doing.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
Ok so Im'going to ask you to bear with me cuz I'm tryin to figure out how to do this, If I were to get a model of say, SEPHIROTH!!, in .dae format, and t pose, and do all that stuff, will that work, or does mewtwo only work since it came out of brawl, but any .dae should work once pharrox finishes his collada>brres thing right?? How do you make it so that the other model uses the bones and stuff of the one we took from brawl?? lastly how do you t pose, re unwrap, and texture, it so that it works, i feel like I'm gonna need alot of help

Smash Ace
Ok so Im'going to ask you to bear with me cuz I'm tryin to figure out how to do this, If I were to get a model of say, SEPHIROTH!!, in .dae format, and t pose, and do all that stuff, will that work, or does mewtwo only work since it came out of brawl, but any .dae should work once pharrox finishes his collada>brres thing right?? How do you make it so that the other model uses the bones and stuff of the one we took from brawl?? lastly how do you t pose, re unwrap, and texture, it so that it works, i feel like I'm gonna need alot of help
Poxag, I will eventually write a guide up when i get model replacing done, be patient. For now, just get more experience with a 3d program, i recommend 3ds max but there are other alternatives: Blender, Maya and some others (can't remember them all atm).

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
I already have blender, and 3 ds max, It's not that I need help with the editing i just want to know how to be prepared when Pharrox's compressor is done, Is it easier to use a different model and replace the old one or to just edit the original one??

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
okay I just tried this out and this is what I got

click on the thumbnail to see it at full size, anybody know wat's wrong??/

when I use the extractor I get 2 files, fitmarth00.dae andfitmarth00shd.dae wat is the difference??
when I try to open the fitmarth00shd.dae I get these errors

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
-ERROR: link has two joints
-ERROR: Unable to parse xml/dae file

Smash Ace
okay I just tried this out and this is what I got

click on the thumbnail to see it at full size, anybody know wat's wrong??/

when I use the extractor I get 2 files, fitmarth00.dae andfitmarth00shd.dae wat is the difference??
when I try to open the fitmarth00shd.dae I get these errors

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
-ERROR: link has two joints
-ERROR: Unable to parse xml/dae file
Use COLLADA import, File > Import, then where it says all formats (It might say something different) click it and scroll down to collada. I was getting that problem because i was importing with a different .dae importer.

And @ your other question, I'm assuming getting the original character and editing it would be easier.

Also when you said you have no trouble editing the model, did you mean you know how to unwrap and rig and everything?

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
When I scroll down should it say "collada" or "autodesk collada" cuz there is no "collada" option that I see, just autodesk collada, does that mean I'm missing a plugin? also i meant that i wasnt worried about the actual reshaping of the model, I don't know how I'm going to rewrap and rig stuff

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
I got Mewtwo's trophy model, t posed it, re unwrapped it, texturing it and skinning it (rigging).
That's what I'm done/doing.
I would at the very least subsurf it and modify the geometry a little bit (hopefully for more accuracy if possible) and don't forget to modify the UVmap, because that's part of the geometry too. Keep in mind that for it to be used by the SD card hack, you have to download the file from someone else and put it on your SD card. If it's the same model and textures from any of their games, Nintendo can come down on you for redistributing their model like a ton of bricks. Because it is possible that someone who doesn't own that game might download it. I think we should all try to be safe after what happened to Syntax Error...

If you edit the model, make sure you do so drastically. But I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make your own model from scratch. If you make it too big, just resize it. if the UVmap is messed up (I doubt that'd be a problem, I'm just coming up with something) in the game, just reorient it until it's fixed. Pharrox is investigating what every little bit of these model files are, after all. Just don't do anything that isn't currently done in existing models. If there are no models in the game with textures larger than 512x1024 or smaller than 16x16, don't make any. If there are none of a certain kind of bone or animation in any existing SSBB models, don't put any in there. :-P If the eyes have extremely strange UVmap coordinates, try to do the same with your own. Just follow their style. You can always fine-tune your model later.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
when I try I get the problem i posted above, which of the two files do i open, and how do i get it to show up correctly??

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Question: When we make new characters, if we make the bones longer/shorter, will they stay like that? because from what Iv'e seen with model swapping, the bones will shrink/stretch to fit the character it's suppose to be

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Big post :psycho:

ur new at this?!?!?!
1. No, rewriting th original to work correctly
2. Nothing you have to worry about :)
3. Very
4. UVs are handled by the model, so they can be redone however you want

do you know if there will be a way to make parts dissapear ofbe transparent or hidden or something?
The original reverse converter probably won't support model transparency. The data's there, it's just not a high priority for me. However texture conversion will be handled differently and allow you to to use whatever format you want for the textures, meaning that you can give transperency to texture that didn't originally have it.

may be slightly off topic, but is there a way to change the way a texture file acts in the pac file (like make mario have a transparent texture, cuz none of his support transparency) also, i plan for Ralph (Zelda Oracle of Ages), Roy, maybe Kumatora (Mother 3) and Possibly Baby Bowser if someone teaches me how to edit the speed of characters (running etc.)
Basically answered above. UV editting alows it to be mapped differently and format conversion will let you give a texture whatever properties you need it to have.

A very quick question.

Will the final program have a texture exporter (seeing as I expect it to also have an importer)? Because if that's the case, I'm pretty much done here with it all.

Seriously, as much as I like Heinermann, he left us with a still broken SSBExtract. The TPL files it outputs don't often reflect how the files are actually constructed in the TEX0 blocks. And he promised to include the LZ77 decoding progress.

Oh, and CLR0 blocks should be supported as well. Basically the last few bytes are the actual colors.
Yeah, I'm hoping to add the texture extractor next thing. I was just going to modify your tplconv source to to it, but if you already have it written up that would be even better. If you want I could send you the source so you could look at it and make any changes you want, it's kinda a mess right now though :). Either way you'll definitely be getting credit for the texture converting process.

As for the CLR0 blocks, I haven't really had a chance to look at them, but it is the logical next step. Thanks for the tip. :)

At least for a while I suggest that modeling be done around the skeleton of an extracted character. The animation files reference the bones by name, so as long as the names are the same and the rig is similar it should work.

when I try I get the problem i posted above, which of the two files do i open, and how do i get it to show up correctly??
Could be a compatibility problem, will be fixed in the next release if it is.

@pharrox, are you close to finishing the converter
So far on schedule. Linker errors are down to four or five, though I'm not sure what could be causing them, it seems like everytihing should be linked correctly. :confused: Will hopefully have it compiled tonight and debugged tomorrow.

Question: When we make new characters, if we make the bones longer/shorter, will they stay like that? because from what Iv'e seen with model swapping, the bones will shrink/stretch to fit the character it's suppose to be
Very good question. And the answer is a resounding, probably not. When active in game the bones positions are actually controlled by the animation files. Because animation isn't supported the bones will take the position of whatever the current animations tell the to. Because of this it is important tomatch the rigging of the original character as closely as possible. And get very good at using weights :ohwell:.

Finally, to all you experienced programmers, any tips on what could be causing the errors below (devcpp). libpcre.a, libpcrecpp.a, and libpcreposix.a are all linked.
Code:
Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "D:\Kevin\Documents\linker_test\Makefile.win"
Executing  make clean
rm -f main.o  linker_test.exe

g++.exe -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"E:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include"  -I"E:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"  -I"E:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"  -I"E:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2"  -I"E:/Dev-Cpp/include"  -I"E:/collada/dom/include"  -I"E:/collada/dom/include/1.5"  -I"E:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.1/Include"  -I"E:/collada/dom/external-libs/boost"  -I"E:/libpng/include"  -I"E:/gd/include"  -I"E:/freetype/include"  -I"E:/jpeg/include"  -I"E:/zlib/include"   

g++.exe main.o  -o "linker_test.exe" -L"E:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -L"E:/collada/dom/external-libs/libxml2/win32/lib" -L"E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/vc9" -L"E:/collada/dom/external-libs/minizip/win32/lib" -L"E:/freetype/lib" -L"E:/gd/lib" -L"E:/jpeg/lib" -L"E:/libpng/lib" -L"E:/zlib/lib" -L"E:/collada/dom/lib" E:/collada/dom/build/mingw-1.4/libcollada14dom.a E:/collada/dom/external-libs/boost/lib/mingw/libboost_system.a E:/collada/dom/external-libs/boost/lib/mingw/libboost_filesystem.a E:/collada/dom/external-libs/libxml2/mingw/lib/libxml2.a E:/collada/dom/external-libs/libxml2/mingw/lib/libz.a E:/collada/dom/build/mingw-1.4/libminizip.a "E:/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v6.1/Lib/WSock32.Lib" E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcre.a E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcreposix.a  

E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a(pcrecpp.o)(.text+0x2f):pcrecpp.cc: undefined reference to `pcre_config'
E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a(pcrecpp.o)(.text+0x14a):pcrecpp.cc: undefined reference to `pcre_exec'
E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a(pcrecpp.o)(.text+0x1bf):pcrecpp.cc: undefined reference to `pcre_fullinfo'
E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a(pcrecpp.o)(.text+0x1aef):pcrecpp.cc: undefined reference to `pcre_compile'
E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a(pcrecpp.o)(.text+0x1bf1):pcrecpp.cc: undefined reference to `pcre_compile'
E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a(pcrecpp.o)(.text+0x1e54):pcrecpp.cc: undefined reference to `pcre_free'
E:/collada/dom/external-libs/pcre/lib/mingw/libpcrecpp.a(pcrecpp.o)(.text+0x1e67):pcrecpp.cc: undefined reference to `pcre_free'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make.exe: *** [linker_test.exe] Error 1

Execution terminated

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
WOW thanks, all my questions are answered for the most part, so when i use ur model extractor I'm only supposed to get one file out of it??? I'm using vista so maybe it is a problem on my end, also I think my collada max plugin might not be installed correctly cuz when I open one of them it either shows up weird or doesnt show up at all. Wat do you think is causing the problem

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
is it possible to get compatibility for these 2 brres files
http://www.mediafire.com/?nytmmnyeyyi

btw w00t all the way for a DAE > BRRES converter. I can already imagine replacing all the character models with original n64 models or melee models. ^_^ yay

also good work on the converter, so far everything has imported perfectly. and I'm quite amazed how you've solved the matrices of the skeletons. brovo

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
@mariokart are you supposed to two separate files when you use pharrox's convertor

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
@mariokart are you supposed to two separate files when you use pharrox's convertor

um ok

fitmarth00.dae = use this one
fitmarth00shd.dae = don't use this one

I don't know what the second dae technically does, but for getting a character in 3dsmax.. the shd file isn't required

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Depending on what you extract depends on how many files you get. If you extract a brres you will probably only get one. However if you extract a pac file it will extract as many models as it finds. Every character has at least one character model and at least one shadow model in their main pac files.

The shadow models are just low poly versions of the main model and all their bones are connected directly to the root (TopN). While I may try to add support to attempt to create these automatically at some point, at least for a while these will need to be edited if you want to get an acurate shadow for the character.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
OK I think the problem lies in my collada max plugin ut nomatter wat i try it doesnt show up, when I import should the file say "autodesk collada" or just "Collada"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom