• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I may have to add a convert to tris option sometime soon. If I'm right, there is a good hance that could fix it. Some of the other people in this thread may be able to help you. A couple of them seem to have it working in Max, unfortunately, since I don't have it, there's no real way for me to test it myself.

Have most of the collada importing done, mdl0 output has started. I got a lot done today, but like before, I have no idea when my next chance to work on this will be.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I am *SO* sorry it took this long. I got kinda distracted. Anyway, it should be pretty simple if you haven't figured out another way yet. Open FitMarth00 in a hex editor and change the three at 0x6ba74 and the four at 0x6ba80 to sevens. That should work. If not (cause the texture animation files override the defaults), I can go into changing the data of the material blocks, that hopefully wont be necessary because those textures should never change.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
I am *SO* sorry it took this long. I got kinda distracted. Anyway, it should be pretty simple if you haven't figured out another way yet. Open FitMarth00 in a hex editor and change the three at 0x6ba74 and the four at 0x6ba80 to sevens. That should work. If not (cause the texture animation files override the defaults), I can go into changing the data of the material blocks, that hopefully wont be necessary because those textures should never change.
what are you talking about 0.0

D

Deleted member

I haven't read the last pages, but how is this thing progressing on actually putting a modified model back into the game?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
what are you talking about 0.0
That's just the simplest way to try to change what texture appears on what model. In this case how to make Mar03 and Mar04 load Mar07, which can be transparent.

I haven't read the last pages, but how is this thing progressing on actually putting a modified model back into the game?
It's coming pretty slowly, mostly because I never have anytime to work on this anymore. So far I can read in most of the info I need from the .dae file and can write the normal and uv blocks. After this it gets kinda tricky, since almost everything else uses weights which I haven't matched up yet (that will be the hardest part).

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Thank you. I'll give it a try. And the wait wasn't a problem lol
Edit: I tried it, and it didn't quite work. marths cape and shoulder pads did have the texture, but it wasn't transparent

Smash Ace
That's just the simplest way to try to change what texture appears on what model. In this case how to make Mar03 and Mar04 load Mar07, which can be transparent.
Ahh i see, yeh at the end of the file you can tamper with those things and change what textures go where.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
In theory, but apparently not completely since it wasn't transparent like fortwaffles needed. The other option is to change the pointers to the materials that point to the names. This can be hard to find, which is why I hesitate to use it.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Wow. So Roy is being released soon.... o-o Can't wait till we can insert our own models, so Roy in Brawl+ will be complete... =P

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
In theory, but apparently not completely since it wasn't transparent like fortwaffles needed. The other option is to change the pointers to the materials that point to the names. This can be hard to find, which is why I hesitate to use it.
if it's too hard, don't worry about it. we could probably just use the importer when it's done to remove/hide the polygons, and fill in the holes if there are any

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
It just occurred to me that there is something we haven't thought about that is likely included in the moveset/animation data: rumble. Some moves make your controller rumble if you have it set.

Smash Ace
It just occurred to me that there is something we haven't thought about that is likely included in the moveset/animation data: rumble. Some moves make your controller rumble if you have it set.
i came across the word rumble in the FitMotion files, theres probably an offset for each CHR0 file that controlls rumble.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
The move set info is most likely not in the FitMotion files. I've swapped them before, and it's just the animations, like fox with falco's animations still has multiple hits for his aerial down-A. If anyone actually knows where they are actually located, please tell. Also, is it possible to do material swaps in hexing? i want to put pits head on marth's body, and tex hack it to be roy

ratmage99

Smash Cadet
So, has anyone gotten this program running properly in max? I would appreciate knowing how.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I believe the rumble is contained in the FitCharacter (no number) files. I also believe this is where hitbox data is stored. To my knowledge, the format of those files is almost completely unknown.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
there are a few posted around the web, but other than that, u got to rip them and convert them
Thanks, I found a torrent with the files. They're all in .tga format. Is this the correct one? And what would be the best program to open and view/edit them in? I'm new to model hacking.

Smash Ace
Thanks, I found a torrent with the files. They're all in .tga format. Is this the correct one? And what would be the best program to open and view/edit them in? I'm new to model hacking.
.tga is not a model format... its a picture format and those tga files are for texture hacking. the model files should be in .dae, at meowmix they should have them. Use 3ds max or maya (i recommend 3ds max). Also working models wont be working for quite a while, also look at some tuts before you get started.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Quick update. It's still a long ways from release, but with some luck I may be able to have the first .dae>.brres conversion by tomorrow night.

Smash Ace
Quick update. It's still a long ways from release, but with some luck I may be able to have the first .dae>.brres conversion by tomorrow night.
I know I am sounding nooby, but may i be a tester. I have quite a deal of 3d experience (rigging, modeling and texturing) and I could help with helping compile the other .brres files. Lol sorry if im sounding like an annoying noob, but I think I could help.

VILE~

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well that's not happening. Grrr...why does Nintendo have to make the geometry so complicated!? I am pretty close though. So far I can write the positions, normals, colors, uvs, weights, bones, bone tree, textures (kinda), materials (kinda), and texture assignment data. That just leaves the texture list (easy), section index (shouldn't be too bad), and polygons (the hardest part, and what I'm working on now). The polygons need to have the weights go through several layers of indirection before being assigned to the vertecies. This is a pain to code, but I think I'm pretty close to getting it done. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Of course it still remains to be seen whether or not the game will even accept the new brres when it's all done. If not it would take forever to isolate all the minor differences that could be causing the problem... :(

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Of course it still remains to be seen whether or not the game will even accept the new brres when it's all done. If not it would take forever to isolate all the minor differences that could be causing the problem... :(
hey! don't fret! even if it fails, we can always program our own computer game with 100% originality, and possibly even sell it. best part... IT'S 100% LEGAL! lol. i'd still be happy to see it work though

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
When you do get the first "model hack" will you please release it for us?
Also, just out of curiosity, what is the model hack you are doing?

Lucania

Smash Rookie
@Pharrox Hi! It seems that the problem with 3ds Max is the inverted (flipped) normals on the faces. Do you think you could fix it? ;)

Congrats! you're doing an austonding work. :bee:

Can I please get some help getting this working on Max?
You have to convert the model into a editable poly, use the face selection tool to select all the object's faces and use the flip option . The bad thing is that it'll lose quality and the skin modifier. I tried to use the normal modifier but it didn't work.

Smash Ace
hey your the one from the forums that needed help with the models. Well you can actually put the smoothing back on.

Lucania

Smash Rookie
Yes, hehe... I stole your answer.

Is there a solution for the skin issue?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh forget it I already found how ;)

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well I finally got access to a copy of Max, so hopefully I'll be able to help a bit more with that soon.

The first conversion will just be putting an extracted model back into the game with no changes. When I do get the first new model hack I will release it.

I had computer problems on my last couple days off, so I haven't done much work lately. My hours have been cut coming up, so hopefully I can make up for it.

Smash Ace
Well I finally got access to a copy of Max, so hopefully I'll be able to help a bit more with that soon.

The first conversion will just be putting an extracted model back into the game with no changes. When I do get the first new model hack I will release it.

I had computer problems on my last couple days off, so I haven't done much work lately. My hours have been cut coming up, so hopefully I can make up for it.
By any chance pharrox, have you checked you email?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom