• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucania

Smash Rookie
Have you tried the smooth modifier in 3ds?

btw, does anyone know how to flip the normals? the models are inside out...(probably asked millions of times)
Yes, I also tried the meshsmooth modifier, smoothing groups and auto smooth, all gave me the same result.

This is what I did with Lucas to flip the normals and keep the skin (if there's an easier way to do it, I'll be glad to hear it):

Select a polygon or a group (for example the hair).
In the Modify panel, right click on the skin modifier and select cut.
Then right click on the edit mesh and select convert to editable poly.
Using the face selection tool, select all the polygon's faces and click flip.
Convert the poly back into a mesh.
With the faces still selected use AutoSmooth in 45.0 or the smoothing group number 32.
Right click on editable mesh in the Modify panel and select paste instanced.
You have to do it with every polygon or group that the model has.

Good Luck. ;)

Thanks to VILE for helping.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
guys, you're really arguing over nothing, ur each gonna hav ur own copy of hacked brawl, so what vile had will not affect dark sonic or dark dragoon, honestly what are you arguing about? pharrox said there will be GUI, or watever so ull all be able to do this by urself, for the most part, as long as the models are rigged, it will eventually be just like texture hacking. on a different note @apocalypse 2000, I have collected a whole bunch of models that I want to put in brawl can u rig and possibly t pose a few of them? that would be awesome cuz I'm no good with models
Except that I'm really bad at texure hacking as well. <.<

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
I'd honestly rather see new, quality model hacks than 80 custom models of Cloud or Roy ranging from good to eye-burningly awful.
I agree. One thing to keep in mind is that the process of creating a model is so involved that it is unlikely SSBB will be flooded with bad models; the difficulty and breadth of the project weeds out bad models from being finished. The only exception would be with ripped models, which I'll emphasize (Poxag) should not be redistributed. Nintendo took down Syntax Error for lesser offenses. You wouldn't want to do something stupid and get Pharrox in trouble by proximity/association, would you?

Anyway as long as ripped models are not shared, modding communities tend to self-regulate with good models. This is a part of why MUGEN is, well... crap for the most part. No balance because everyone wants theirs to be the most powerful character, no consistent art direction because they're taken from a hundred different games. ... music and sound effects taken from games by putting a microphone up to a TV's speakers *shudders*... Keeping things legal is the best way to maintain quality control. The dark side is the quick and easy path, but not the best one.

With that said, any rip of Roy from Melee or even Brawl's trophy data could not be legally distributed. You can do it for yourself, but that's a lot of work for such a small audience. What's the bright side? When a model IS made for it, it'll be of higher quality. It'll take a lot longer, but by that time - if great programmers continue to support us - people would have cracked animation data. This means that you can also re-animate him, making him appear less jumpy than the Brawl+ version, and improving him as a character (he was low tier in Brawl, after all).

Am I gonna do Roy? LOL No. I know someone else will, and I don't have faith yet that the Brawl community won't go rushing to a ripped model. It's like if someone goes out and orders pizza from Dominos while you're making it from scratch, and everyone gets full off the cheap Dominos and don't want to eat yours. Total waste of time and a total bummer. So for that reason, I'm probably not gonna do anyone from Melee. I have started a model, and I'll let people know when it looks remotely living. Still getting used to it. :-P

BTW Dark Sonic, nobody starts out good at anything. I'm certainly not good at modeling stuff in the style I need yet.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^I thought it was never confirmed why exactly Syntax Error closed shop? If it was Nintendo's doing, it makes no sense for the other half dozen texture communities to still be functioning.

And I don't know of any legal issues coming from ripped models (provided ownership isn't claimed by someone besides the owners and nothing is for sell).

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
If anything the owners of the models would love it, its giving them free publicity. We aren't profiting from their work and they are getting better fan loyalty, whats going bad for them?

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Hostility in the Model Extractor thread, it seems. xD

I'd honestly rather see new, quality model hacks than 80 custom models of Cloud or Roy ranging from good to eye-burningly awful.
Something original would be nice as well, but you can't expect much. People will make what they like, and everybody seems to like the same things. As long as they look good, I'll be happy.

Also, you can load Brawl+ with the backup loader, or even the USB Loader. Just get the Brawl+ Tweaker and use the Snapshot Method. I use Music Hacks too, so it's what I use.
Confirming it works with Backup Launcher. I use the GCT loader method.

KAZECoyote

Smash Cadet
Yes, I also tried the meshsmooth modifier, smoothing groups and auto smooth, all gave me the same result.

This is what I did with Lucas to flip the normals and keep the skin (if there's an easier way to do it, I'll be glad to hear it):

Select a polygon or a group (for example the hair).
In the Modify panel, right click on the skin modifier and select cut.
Then right click on the edit mesh and select convert to editable poly.
Using the face selection tool, select all the polygon's faces and click flip.
Convert the poly back into a mesh.
With the faces still selected use AutoSmooth in 45.0 or the smoothing group number 32.
Right click on editable mesh in the Modify panel and select paste instanced.
You have to do it with every polygon or group that the model has.

Good Luck. ;)

Thanks to VILE for helping.
Thanks
Auto smooth usually doesn't smooth everything. either thats your problem, or you have some broken vertices. try welding them.us

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
That's the exact same argument people have with ROMs. You don't have to sell stolen goods for giving them to other people to be illegal.

Before Syntax Error's site went down totally, they did say what happened to them. The "technical problem" they said delayed the release of their patches was a cover story until they found out what they could say and what they couldn't say.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> If there is no one working on it by the time I go back to school in the fall, I guess I'll start doing Roy or someone's model.

Just make sure someone reminds me.

-DD

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
. The only exception would be with ripped models, which I'll emphasize (Poxag) should not be redistributed. Nintendo took down Syntax Error for lesser offenses. You wouldn't want to do something stupid and get Pharrox in trouble by proximity/association, would you?

are you siding that melee models should not be used in brawl?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
That's the exact same argument people have with ROMs. You don't have to sell stolen goods for giving them to other people to be illegal.

Before Syntax Error's site went down totally, they did say what happened to them. The "technical problem" they said delayed the release of their patches was a cover story until they found out what they could say and what they couldn't say.
Problem. With ROMS, the games may still be sold by it's owners (making downloading some ROMS illegal since it takes away from the original owners profits). Character models however are NOT sold, so the owners aren't losing money (or well...anything) from distributed models.

Links? I hear alot about people saying Nintendo killed Syntax Error, but no proof to it. And it can't just be because of their texture work (the other dozen texture groups that WEREN'T shut down?). If Nintendo had anything to do with it, then it was because Syntax Error were doing something other texture communities weren't.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad you guys finally noticed what I've been saying about the legality of distributing ripping models.

MarioKart64n:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. You've ripped it and T-posed it. Even if you inserted it into Brawl it'd be hard for them to crack down on, as long as you don't make it available to anyone else. Why not use that as a basis to create a new model? Just make new copies of the meshes for every one there and make more detailed versions of them.

MetaXZero:

http://nintendobros.com/2008/12/22/syntax-error-nintendo-threatens-with-lawsuit/
http://stacksmash.cultnet.net/?p=1987

So what are you saying, exactly? Syntax Error didn't do anything illegal and was still shut down by Nintendo, so instead we should break the law and that will keep Nintendo from suing?

You're STILL making the same argument as ROMs. When emulators for ROMs were first invented and distribution of ROMs became widespread, all of those games were out of print. People made that same argument: "Nintendo couldn't make money off of it anyway." Guess what? It was still illegal. It doesn't MATTER if they can make money off of them or not or if you give them out for free instead of selling them, they're not your property to redistribute. Also, you're wrong about them not selling the models. They do sell the models; they're part of the games. It's like saying it's not illegal to steal a huge box of fortune cookies from a Chinese food place just because they're complimentary with the meal. Or it's like saying you can steal a burger from out of a kids' meal because it's not the whole meal. You can rip models from your own copies of games if you want, but you can't distribute them to other people according to the Free Play Act (which I intend on reading some day soon).

Fact is, if Nintendo really wanted to sue the Brawl community, they already could if they dug deep enough; I've seen activities on public message boards they can go after. What you'd be doing by adding ripped models to the game is basically like sending up flares for Nintendo's lawyers. You think they wouldn't notice YouTube videos of Roy in Brawl? They'll notice as soon as the first model is added; do you want them to see something legal or illegal? Even if it's on a nudge-nudge-wink-wink basis and kept off the forums, it'd still be made a central part of the Smash community if distribution of such stuff isn't tightly controlled.

Just give the makers of game models the respect they deserve and make your own model for the stuff you want; it's like a big, dirty boot in the face to just rip it and use it however you want. Besides, don't you want quality control in Brawl?

Anyway guys, I'm sorry if I hijacked Pharrox's thread for his fantastic program. It's just one of my primary goals right now to make sure Brawl modding survives, and it won't if it gets its pants sued off. SmashBoards is already in a position where it's hard for them to support modding because they're owned by the MLG now. If you want any hope of seeing extra characters in big tournaments, Nintendo (and the companies that own the rights to the characters we want to add) has/have to be okay with what we're doing. If a tournament is hosted that includes a ripped character (let's say Kratos), suddenly that tournament has made money off of Sony illegally. Sony sues Nintendo, Nintendo sues the tournament hosts, if the tournament was advertised on SmashBoards then MLG will have the Smash Workshop closed and disallow advertisement for modded Brawl tournaments.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^What law? WHAT LAW is being broken with non-profit ripped models and custom textures? I've NEVER seen a law brought up for this.

Various companies (including Nintendo) do re-release some of their older products in some form. Heck, all 3 consoles have an online service that allows downloads of old games that are commonly found as ROMs. Therefore, they DO have a case against ROMS since they are still sold (free copies of something they are selling taking away from their profits).

"Free Play Act"? I Googled that and got nothing.

Nintendo would not have a legitimate case. If it's not breaking any laws AND isn't just a few individuals, Nintendo can't make a case against the whole Brawl community (or the whole Workshop community). The best they can do is threaten and hope their bluff isn't called (Nintendo's court cases against modding and hacking pretty much end in failure).

Knightcrawler, lets take this to PMs.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Distributing the assets (Roy model) of one game freely to anyone is a pretty big no-no.

A custom model would be ideal, as it has the potential to avoid legal distribution tangles and also fit into the Brawl style a bit better and be more detailed.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
My question is WHAT legal tangles?

I'm not against custom models (actually would prefer quality originals) but I don't see what's illegal about them.

Actually, what even seperates a ripoed model from a custom made model of the same character?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
What legal tangles?

Quite simply, it is illegal to freely distribute any part of a game's assets, even one tiny model. This is pretty common fair for any game modification.

Someone was recreating parts of Morrowind in Oblivion. Bethesda prohibited them from freely distributing assets from the Morrowind disc, but allowed them to release a program which would import them from your own personal Morrowind disc. For instances like Roy, this could be mostly legal with Nintendo's blessing if we followed the route of a DIY import, but that would be too much work for the average User+ (and Nintendo's blessing would probably never occur).

(Technically, the texture in the Roy thread is illegal since it uses ripped Melee textures, but I feel like that could probably slide.)

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
My question is WHAT legal tangles?

I'm not against custom models (actually would prefer quality originals) but I don't see what's illegal about them.

Actually, what even seperates a ripoed model from a custom made model of the same character?
I am completely on your side with the legality of custom models, but i dislike your last statement. "Actually, what even seperates a ripoed model from a custom made model of the same character?", that is the same as saying "Whats the difference between a game disk bought at the shop and a burnt disk.". I know what you are trying to say, the rights of the character have been taken, so technically you shouldn't be able to make a model of that specific character. But lets apply that principal to drawing the character, its not illegal, why? Because you aren't profiting from the other persons idea. So if you aren't profiting from someone else's idea, then why are ripped models bad? THEY AREN'T!!! They are perfectly fine as long as it isn't being distributed as your work or for a profit.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
*Edit*

But lets apply that principal to drawing the character, its not illegal, why? Because you aren't profiting from the other persons idea. So if you aren't profiting from someone else's idea, then why are ripped models bad? THEY AREN'T!!! They are perfectly fine as long as it isn't being distributed as your work or for a profit.
You have the exact right argument that you used the exact wrong logic to get the exact wrong conclusion. If you draw a character, that's YOUR work. You can't sell it because you don't own the copyright on the character design/name/etc. You can make copies all day, though. If you rip a model, that is NOT YOUR WORK, so you can't redistribute it at all.

*End Edit*

Okay, I must have got the name of the act wrong a long time ago and it stuck with me. I believe the game assets are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Why would you think the songs on a CD or the video on a DVD are protected but not the models in a game? Also you completely ignored my point that emulators and ROMs existed long before console-based DLC, and ROMs were still illegal even then.

BTW it doesn't matter how many people break the law, it just means Big N's lawyers have more targets. It doesn't magically make it legal. And like I said, they just have to go after the MLG.

I don't see the point of taking this to PMs, this is not personal between me and you. If you want to talk to me about something else, feel free to PM away. Anyway, I posted a generalized, nondescript post in a legal help forum to see which side of the issue is right:

http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=96770#post96770

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I knew I should've added on to it.

But yeah. I meant legallality. What would allow an IP holder to sue someone for using a ripped model of a character and not a custom made version of the same character? That's what I meant.

And yeah VILE. Like drawing pictures, this whole thing should in up falling under Fair Use.

EDIT: Well Knightcrawler. I guess we'll see from your post who's right whenever a reply comes.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I know that what everyone's saying is true and all, but isn't everything we're doing already illegal? I mean everytime someone posts a .pcs for a texture hack they are also distributing at least one in game model already. Not to mention that most texture hacks probably aren't fully custom made, but just alterations made directly to the original texture. Heck, I'm pretty sure that even having the iso or any files from the game disk is illegal somewhere under the dmca. And lets not forget that, in order to even make the texture you need to use the dev kit, which is also illegal. I don't see how distributing a .pcs with Roy in it would be any more illegal than distributing a texture hack with, say, Brawl's Ike model in it.

Honestly, I don't even know what the deal with ]ee[ is. My best guess is that since they were the first major texture group, Nintendo went after them first. I remember the news spread to some pretty major gaming sites and the fan response was (understandably) very bad. My guess is that Nintendo realized that pursuing it wasn't worth the bad publicity and that it would probably continue regardless, so they backed off.

Either way, there's not much you can say or do that will convince me that American copywrite law isn't complete and total bullcrap. But that's kinda off topic and I'm sure no one want's to listen to me rant. Eh, so yeah, know what you're doing, know if it's legal, and don't be surprised if a big money hungry corporation shows up at your door demanding money because you had the nerve to distribute something that could really only benefit them in the first place.

As for the program, first beta is almost done. There is a slight problem with the way it writes triangles that needs to fixed, but that's basically it.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Sorry Knightcrawler as much as I aggree with all of your reasoning about the legallity of this stuff, nobody knows what really happend to Syntax Error. Those links prove nothing, the first just got their info from the stack smash one and that was just PZT jumping the gun.

As far as I understand not even the guys at syntax error have ever seen that cease and desist letter that their provider claimed to have recieved.
And logically why would they sue them and leave Stack Smash or Kitty Corp alone, who by now should be a much greater threat?

Stack Smash released ]EE['s work about threee months after that incident, I don't believe they would have let them do it if there really was a legal threat. Think of Chrono Resurrection which was stopped by an actual cease and desist letter. That was about three years ago and I'm pretty sure it hasn't even been leaked. (I at least couldn't find anything)

Also there are multiple sites out there that provide direct downloads to wii games/vc/wii ware and no matter how often their downloads are taken down they always put them back up. Nintendo never sued those. Why would they go after a small unsignificant team of texture hackers? Yes they technically promoted you to get an iso but there are more than enough sites out there that do the same.

Unless there is statement of ]EE[ somewhere I'm not going to believe that it was Nintendo's doing (as much as I've come to dislike Nintendo). And even if it was them, the move wasn't very clever. The closure of Syntax Error and together with the release of ASH was pretty much what started the texture hacking scene.

That aside ripped models could probably prove a problem since you're distributing actualy copyrighted material. But then again you're doing the same when you distribute textures.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you're the only person who'd be allowed to rant however he wanted in this thread, Pharrox. Not saying I'd agree with you on everything, though. :-P Good news on the Beta. :)

MetaXZero, check my reply to Vile. He used the wrong logic on the right argument. Ripping a model is NOT like drawing a picture.

But yes, Pharrox, everything you said about the legality is true. The color changes are illegal too because they include the original game model, but Nintendo isn't going to go after something like that most likely. It is also true that the authors of custom models themselves have to use certain assets from a certain kit they might not... normally have. But again, I doubt the Big N will go after said users if they don't misuse that power.

The thing is, though, that making a custom model breaks the fewest laws possible. Even less than making a custom texture. And the DISTRIBUTION of a custom model would be perfectly legal. That is normally what concerns big companies like Nintendo. Let's say someone were to make a model of, say, someone from Chrono Trigger. Nintendo could try find out who made the model and get a search warrant for his computer and seize that person's computer to try to find if they have the Rev Dev Kit on it. That's the only way they'd be able to prove their case, and what would the punishment be? A small fine? Anyone who downloads the model or sends it to another person has broken no law, though. Anyone who holds a tournament with it has broken no law. Basically for a custom model, there is no risk to the average user. The community is safe no matter what, and so are you, Pharrox. :-P

*Edit*

One major difference between redistributing another game's models and redistributing Nintendo's models is that Nintendo has full ownership of their own stuff. However, you're rolling the dice with three potential lawsuits when you involve another publisher. Let's say Sony vs. You (ripping and redistributing their model), Sony vs. Nintendo (allowing you to redistribute their model), Nintendo vs. You (to preempt Sony suing them).

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Knightcrawler.

Kinda going off that, it's also important to note that (if I remember correctly), the court costs to take action against any one of us average more than the amount they could sue anyone for given anything they could have done. Not to mention the cost that would have to be spent tracking someone down. The only real reason would be to try to make an example of someone, and given the high possibility of negative fan reactions, I don't see that happening.

EDIT: wow, that sounds really awkward.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
I got a reply at the legal advice site:

http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=96770#post96770

thelawprofessor said:
Copyright law covers game assets such as images, music, sound effects and animations. There is nothing but technology protecting the action of ripping. The DMCA is what helps you get content taken down from web sites quickly after discovering that someone has used your property without authorization.
As I expected. Ripping is hard, but legal. The assets themselves are protected by copyright law, though. That means you can't redistribute them.

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
even if I re-created the model from scratch, it's still a copyright issue. so I don't see the deal with the "pointing fingers yelling illegal"

I've never heard of any game company suing anyone, besides 2 occasions.

1. someone made a porno comic of this chick from assassin's creed.
2. a company got a site closed down for making nude mods.
(notice these were all sex related offenses that got these people in trouble)

..I don't know about this SE site you guys are talking about. but it sound like none of you have any concrete information on it.

if nintedo gets this site closed down, for idolizing it's game. THEY ARE DUMB. you do not shoot your fans in the face, that's not good business for them.

companies like valve and unreal pray off modding communities, to better their games.

right now we have one of the biggest modding opportunities ahead of us. like BIG!!
as long as the CR@P is moderated off this site, like nude hacks.. I don't think Nintendo will be doing much if we recycle melee models.

even on the side of caution this site could restrict us to find our own file hosting methods. thus this site and its server have no involvement holding illegal files. that way it becomes a per user issue. so say I made roy, from melee into brawl. i'd be the only one in trouble <_<

and it be a useless battle if nintendo ever decide to go after 100 members here who by chance downloaded my mod. so ultimately the risks for the users is low, but the risk for modders is higher..

like I don't blame you guys for trying to be cautious, but this is a good modding opportunity.. and this legal blame is gonna cause hysteria and scare what little modders we have into the corners

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
No, making your own model from scratch does not break copyright laws. YOU would actually own the copyright on the model itself, but not the character. There actually is a law that artists gain automatic copyright over their artwork without having to submit a patent/etc. Dunno the name of it, but it exists. But since you don't own rights to the character design/name, you couldn't sell it.

The SE site mentioned was Chrono Resurrection, a 3D remake of Chrono Trigger. Technically they did not violate any laws, so they probably just gave in because they knew they didn't have the money to fight in court. But just because you personally only know of 2 law suits doesn't mean only 2 exist.

Valve supports the modding community, but the modding communities that they support are not performing illegal activities.

Unfortunately, if you made Roy from a Melee model, you wouldn't be the only person who could get in trouble. Anyone who downloads Roy would be downloading stolen material. And yes, people do get sued for that.

Read what I said about how SmashBoards can get in trouble again, or ask a moderator why they didn't want to make this forum at first.

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
the chrono project was sony related. and they were sent a stop and decease letter. there was no court battle. if I recall corectly the guy was working for sony, but the project got rejected so he did it free lance as a hobby. sony caught him and told him to shutup about the matter.

has nothing to do with nintendo.

and your wrong with the copyright thing. there's no specific rule on 3dmodel.. it's an asset but a new form of asset now emerging.
even if i re-create the model, I violate intellectual property rights. I can get a stop and decease letter if i recreate roy and distribute him. his character is not my idea to distribute.

I can get around this law, by renaming my model boy. and pretending that by coincidence my model is some how exactly identical to roy. lol yeah right

let me ask you on a 3d level here.. what if I used the melee model as a reference, and made a complete new model based off him.

the 2 models would be completely identical. I made it, but it's not legal is it.

..so your logic is somewhat flawed around what is, and what isn't illegal. unless there is a EULA in the game that says DO NOT INJECT NEW MODELS < directly.

nintendo does not have firm legal ground

PS
if worse comes to worse, I can open a free board and put the melee mods there. then in the registration TOS i'll just put. and even disclaimers in the releases specifying that if you don't own melee or brawl, you are not legally able to use this mod.

any way you put it, there's a loop hole, and in the end it's going to be a pointless battle if anyone tries to go after any of the "users" or this site. as we could offsite host on a free board using a proxy and different alias

EDIT

oh another good idea, is we could create an encryption, to lock our mods. the key, could be something simple. like the CRC of the melee dol file. or maybe something a bit simpler..

anyway, i'd like to hear your rebuttal on my ideas for ways to keep melee mods, by using protection schemes.

D

Deleted member

What legal tangles?

Quite simply, it is illegal to freely distribute any part of a game's assets, even one tiny model. This is pretty common fair for any game modification.

Someone was recreating parts of Morrowind in Oblivion. Bethesda prohibited them from freely distributing assets from the Morrowind disc, but allowed them to release a program which would import them from your own personal Morrowind disc. For instances like Roy, this could be mostly legal with Nintendo's blessing if we followed the route of a DIY import, but that would be too much work for the average User+ (and Nintendo's blessing would probably never occur).

(Technically, the texture in the Roy thread is illegal since it uses ripped Melee textures, but I feel like that could probably slide.)
Actually, they never needed to distribute Morrowind assets, only the program existed, which they didn't allow the release of. Why? because Bethesda used third party licensed content when they made Morrowind, that content was only approved to be used in Morrowind, so they "closed" the project to avoid getting sued.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Technically... You bought the models when you bought the game... >_>
If for some reason this doesn't use the sdk, thats why i believe it would be 100% legal to model hack if it is not distributed.
Fat chance of that happening though.
Though, id somewhat think itd be best to stay away from using pre-made models not in smashbros. Downloading copyrighted sephiroth model when you dont own that game = bad.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
still wondering, is there a free program that will work with this?
also, will more of the sdk be needed?

KAZECoyote

Smash Cadet
Well, if you dont want us to rip them, well make our own... or edit whats there

INTRODUCING OOT LINK-BRAWL STYLE! (wip)

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
the program isn't complete but should allow for model injection. in otherwords if it's 3d, then it can be in brawl as a playable character.

so yeah trophies can be used as player models. but this is only possible with a person with extensive 3d editing knowledge.

if you've never used 3dsmax, blender, XSI, or Maya.. well forget. the program being made is not for n00bs

Lucania

Smash Rookie
Thanks
Auto smooth usually doesn't smooth everything. either thats your problem, or you have some broken vertices. try welding them.us
I can't weld them since the eyes polygons and the rest of the face are different objects, I tried attaching the face and the eyes, but the textures got messed up and the skin lost it's properties.

The principal problem here is having the need to convert the model into a editable poly. Though there's a flip option in editable mesh it doesn't work correctly, the model ends having a lot of holes.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
mariokart64n, I'm gonna TRY to be swift because these long posts we've all been making have been sorta taking up the thread. Let's try to wind this conversation down, and only bring up points if they're new.

Sony doesn't own their employees. They couldn't threaten him with a lawsuit for doing something in his free time. Anyway, Square Enix owns Chrono Trigger, not Nintendo or Sony.

Go to my last page and go to my link for legal help. If you think you know more about what a copyright covers than a lawyer, fine. Just know that courts go by what's actually written in law, not what you think *should* be law.

If you based a new model off Roy from Melee but it was DIFFERENT, you'd own the copyright to that work. Don't be ridiculous about two people by chance making identical models, the only way to do that would be to purposely copy the work. Copying by hand and copying automatically are still both copying. The courts wouldn't side with you, that's for sure. You can distribute anything about any character as long as the work is not copyrighted, just can't make money off it if you don't also own the intellectual properties.

SmashBoards would get in trouble because they're owned by the MLG. If the MLG ever hosts a tournament with a modded copy of Brawl, they'd be making money off illegally distributed copyrighted work. So yes, if you distribute it on your own message board, SmashBoards is unlikely to get in trouble now. But if the MLG hosts a tournament with a modded Brawl, they could get in trouble then. And if any tournament with a modded Brawl is advertised on SmashBoards, the same is true. Don't you want to see Roy in a national tournament? Isn't that a big part of what you're doing? Don't you want to see the best players do the most amazing things with your character?

Even if you lock the model and the only key is found on a Melee disc, you're still distributing it. It'd probably make Nintendo less likely to go after you, though.

Anyway the thing I don't understand is why people are going to all this trouble arguing with what IS THE LAW just to be lazy. Wouldn't you rather have a higher-quality model in your game anyway? And wouldn't you rather feel safe about it? And be able to see your work in tournaments?

Technically... You bought the models when you bought the game... >_>
Yes, that's why you can rip them and do whatever you want personally. You did not buy the right to redistribute the models, though.

Well, if you dont want us to rip them, well make our own... or edit whats there

INTRODUCING OOT LINK-BRAWL STYLE! (wip)
Yes, precisely. As long as existing models are edited enough to not be similar. :) Very nice model there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom