• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
Does that mean the bones have to be the exact same, or that there just have to be the same bones in roughly the same place?
I would have to say roughly the same place because just look at moveswaps and when you load a samus pac into the captain falcon zone. The character looks pretty messed up, but it will still do the attacks like nothing happened (at least for the most part)

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I would have to say roughly the same place because just look at moveswaps and when you load a samus pac into the captain falcon zone. The character looks pretty messed up, but it will still do the attacks like nothing happened (at least for the most part)
Makes sense.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
The most important thing is that all the bones have the same name. However, as stickman said, changing bone locations in a model won't mean much because the positions listed in the animation files override the locations listed in the mdl0 files. Anything but the smallest of changes will result in your model getting stretched all over the place to try to take the shape of whatever model it's replacing.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
that being said, the models almost seem to have one purpose at the moment (if they were to work in brawl right now), and that would be to take a picture while it isnt moving. unless we can edit the animations (and know what we are doing) as well, then the models are just like another moveswap, except with something not in the game.
has anyone figured out ANM0's?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
The most important thing is that all the bones have the same name. However, as stickman said, changing bone locations in a model won't mean much because the positions listed in the animation files override the locations listed in the mdl0 files. Anything but the smallest of changes will result in your model getting stretched all over the place to try to take the shape of whatever model it's replacing.
Ugh... Crap.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Animations honestly don't look too hard. I just haven't really done anything with them yet because they're pretty much useless without models.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Oh i found this out ages ago guys, but i forgot to say anything about it. SHD models aren't hitboxes, they are the shadows in gameplay.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
So...do you think it will be possible to eventually take AT character models and eventually turn them into full characters? Or is that basically impossible right now?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Can Blender open and edit these models properly, or am I SOL? I'm broke. I don't have the money to buy 3DMax or whatever the name is.
So...do you think it will be possible to eventually take AT character models and eventually turn them into full characters? Or is that basically impossible right now?
That's probably not too unreasonable, but you'd probably need to change their model enough to properly fit the character you're changing.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
What leafbarrett said, it depends on how fluently the model from the AT meshes into the character you are replacing (ex: Shadow into sonic would be more likely than waluigi into luigi beccause of the similarities between them...( which gives me an idea...))

Can Blender open and edit these models properly, or am I SOL? I'm broke. I don't have the money to buy 3DMax or whatever the name is.
From my experience, blender can edit the models that the current converter produces, but i don't know how to shape it into something that looks better than a spikey blob.
(but that is also because of my INexperience with blender as well)

GadgetTR

Smash Apprentice
So then, is Maya 2009 + ColladaMaya the only thing that can successfully open the DAE files the converter produces? This would probably be the only thing I haven't tried (and only because I can't seem to install ColladaMaya correctly... says Maya's not installed >_>), and nothing else has worked for me.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
as long as you have the pythonpath set in blender, you can open dae files, so you arent too much out of luck (and blenders free)

GadgetTR

Smash Apprentice
Well I happen to have Maya 2009, I just can't get ColladaMaya to install correctly. All the installers I find either don't seem to do anything or they tell me that Maya isn't installed, and any zip files I find are never descriptive enough to tell me where every file is supposed to go ("best guesses" don't help me either). Any help here would be appreciated.

Also, I already know that Blender can open DAEs, but I just get the garbled character shape thing when I import a model made with the converter.

(Sorry, I always hate just showing up and asking for help, but I did read through the whole thread and really appreciate all the work Pharrox and everyone is doing, so thanks for your time)

Keud Bybor

Smash Rookie
Well I happen to have Maya 2009, I just can't get ColladaMaya to install correctly. All the installers I find either don't seem to do anything or they tell me that Maya isn't installed, and any zip files I find are never descriptive enough to tell me where every file is supposed to go ("best guesses" don't help me either). Any help here would be appreciated.

Also, I already know that Blender can open DAEs, but I just get the garbled character shape thing when I import a model made with the converter.

(Sorry, I always hate just showing up and asking for help, but I did read through the whole thread and really appreciate all the work Pharrox and everyone is doing, so thanks for your time)
I had maya 2009 and i had the same problem as you, but i knew someone who had a copy of maya 8.5 and that worked fine with ColladaMaya...so maybe try looking in the right places for a copy of that?

stickman

Smash Apprentice
that's pretty much what the model looks like (it accounts for movements and such) if you import a character model from a .pac
if you import a trophy, it will look normal

(sorry idk how to use maya)

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but it just exports to .x. You can not import as .x
I just checked and Blender can export .x. Even if you don't use Blender, just work in your normal thing, import it in Blender, add the animations if it supports it, and then export to Brawl. It'd be worth it for animated textures.

If there's no file format that supports animated textures, can we have it covered in the GUI? Like "On animation 039, frames 2-10, change to blahblah." After all, all that REALLY matters is that the final file has the animated textures. In case someone wants to edit it later, the GUI could output a text file with all the animated texture alterations.

GadgetTR

Smash Apprentice
I had maya 2009 and i had the same problem as you, but i knew someone who had a copy of maya 8.5 and that worked fine with ColladaMaya...so maybe try looking in the right places for a copy of that?
Oh thanks, this worked. :bigthumbu

Yeah, I second, third and fourth the automatic flipping of normals in the next release. But this is still pretty awesome! =]

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I will try to get the normals working. Also, on the oof chance I stick with Collada I will change the way it handles polygons to hopefully fix all the compatibility problems.

I am going to mess around with .x and see what it's capable of and how easily it could be supported. I hope to load the first model generated with the program within the next day. There's only about an hour of coding left, but I'm too tired to work on it now.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Blender works fine now that I've installed the proper version of Python :D
Now I just have to learn to not suck at it, and everything will be fine! XD

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me why it's so mother****ing impossible to just add the face texture to the face on the Lucario model I have? Blender can't open any kind of file for the texture (at least it won't for me) leaving me with nothing.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Blender works fine now that I've installed the proper version of Python :D
Now I just have to learn to not suck at it, and everything will be fine! XD
What version of Python did you install? What did you do after installing it?
I wanna get blender to work with these :D

stickman

Smash Apprentice
What version of Python did you install? What did you do after installing it?
I wanna get blender to work with these :D
I use python 2.5.2 i believe (i think it came with blender in a zip folder)
There's guides on google on how to set up the python path (i wasnt able to get it to work with python 2.6)

@ leafbarrett
what type of file are you trying to use and how are you trying to put it on?
tga's only work if they are produced by blender itself in the UV unwrap option, but i remember .bmp being the most compatible file type to use
the only thing though, is that i don't think you can apply the texture to just one area like in 3ds max.
My video on youtube kinda shows that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0xV2cl_fgQ

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
:mad: I'm starting to get frustrated.

I've essentially recreated a model and its palettes and its textures exactly as they were and it's still crashing. I've found the problem is something I discounted early on as not important, but now is proving to be a problem.

I figure I'll ask here because it's something pretty much anyone who has messed with Brawl's files has seen. Any time there is a table entry (brres files, models, animations, etc), the files list three number, then a pointer to it's name, then a pointer to the file's data. Smashbox lists these values as EntryID/ID, Prev/Left, and Next/Right. Though there do seem to be some patterns to these numbers, I'm still trying to figure out how they're calculated.

Other than that, I have a working mdl0 exporter.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman

I've essentially recreated a model and its palettes and its textures exactly as they were and it's still crashing. I've found the problem is something I discounted early on as not important, but now is proving to be a problem.

I figure I'll ask here because it's something pretty much anyone who has messed with Brawl's files has seen. Any time there is a table entry (brres files, models, animations, etc), the files list three number, then a pointer to it's name, then a pointer to the file's data. Smashbox lists these values as EntryID/ID, Prev/Left, and Next/Right. Though there do seem to be some patterns to these numbers, I'm still trying to figure out how they're calculated.

Well atleast your getting progress. ^^;

pghazanfari53

Smash Rookie
Pharrox, to truly see if that is the only problem left, convert an original brawl model from MDL0 to Collada and then back. Then, just copy those values from the original mdl0.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Pharrox, to truly see if that is the only problem left, convert an original brawl model from MDL0 to Collada and then back. Then, just copy those values from the original mdl0.
That's all this test was. Copy the original tables into my file and it will load fine.

stickman

Smash Apprentice

did you do a hex comparison of the original and produced models? obviously they are not Exactly the same, but they could be very close, when all you had to do is add a word to one more line of coding

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
tga's only work if they are produced by blender itself in the UV unwrap option, but i remember .bmp being the most compatible file type to use
the only thing though, is that i don't think you can apply the texture to just one area like in 3ds max.
My video on youtube kinda shows that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0xV2cl_fgQ
Yay tutorial :D
Only 1 texture at a time...? Ffff- Wait, can't you just select each piece then apply the texture? *tries that*
Looks like that's the case... ...but I can't tell because I can't open the BMP either. ._.

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
..so a strange byte that is calculated by 2 offsets is cursing the entire project O_o

you should create dumper to gather some general statistics, then dump a bunch of brres files to search for a pattern.

size of each block, offsets, etc..

sucks that after all that hard work, the game still crashes :( but you've come this far, so don't let this get you down. it'll get nailed in time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom